PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Lame Thread Ahead

timvp
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I hesitate to even post this because it's so lame. I question my manhood just typing this out. But I need some ST advice.

In the past seven or so years I've been sick five times. I never have a cold or allergies or sniffles or anything except those five times. But those five times I've gotten deathly sick. Fever, body ache, headache, can't eat, can't sleep ... basically it feels like I'm dying for about 24 hours. Then it slowly goes away over the next few days. I don't go to doctors so I just lay in cold water until it goes away.

The third and fourth times I got sick it was after eating at PF Chang's. The third time I was so sick that I had to literally get up and leave before the entree was served. The fourth time was also at PF Chang's while I ordered the same food to figure out what it was that got me sick. As I reconstructed my prior visit, I noticed that it was that sauce cocktail thing the servers whip together in front of you that got me sick. I never use that sauce except for those two times. So yeah, that fourth time I realized what it was that got me sick too late and I ended up getting sick again. :lol

Both of those incidents happened a couple years ago. Fast forward to a few days ago and I'm at a restaurant eating sweet and sour chicken and two bites into it I start feeling really sick so I stop eating it. Luckily this time (illness #5) wasn't too bad, comparatively speaking. I haven't slept too much and I have bad body aches but it's not like the previous four times where I'm thinking to myself that dying doesn't seem like a bad alternative. But considering I only took two bites of the damn food, it's still pretty drastic.

Now, realizing the food pattern and realizing it wasn't just some weird oriental herb in that PF Chang's sauce, I investigate those first two times I was sick. I figure out the dates of the first two times I was sick (2003 and 2005, respectively) and start digging through my debit card receipts to see if I ate out on those days. It turns out that I ate at Arby's on both days. :lol

I've eaten Arby's once since then but I got the kind of roast beef sandwich that doesn't have that red sauce. Those two times I got sick I ate the Arby's sandwich with that red sauce.

So, to make a long and lame story short, I'm allergic to an ingredient that is in the PF Chang's sauce, a random plate of sweet and sour chicken and Arby's red sauce. Kori says the common ingredient is something chili based and she's probably right. But how the hell could it be in only those three things? I'm thinking maybe a red dye? I don't know.

What's also weird is that my symptoms don't really align with what the internets says about a food allergy. I feel more like I'm poisoned than I'm allergic to something. I don't have trouble breathing or the other common symptoms I read about regarding food allergies.

But now out of curiosity, I want to see if my hypothesis is right. I'm thinking driving through Arby's and getting one of those roast beef sandwiches with Arby's red sauce. If I get sick, I'll know the mystery is a step closer to being solved. My other idea is to go buy a variety of ingredients that could be shared in those three sauces and try them one by one until I get sick.

Kori is telling me just to forget it but I've come this far in this lame azz journey, might as well get to the bottom of it :hungry:

So, does anyone have any idea what the shared ingredient is in Arby's red sauce, PF Chang's sauce and sweet and sour sauce? For the record, the sweet and sour sauce was more spicy than typical sweet and sour sauce ... and redder. And even though I'll regret it after getting sick, should I complete the mission to figure out what it is that poisons me?

Dex
05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Sounds like you got that there swine flu, son. God bless. :lol

angel_luv
05-04-2009, 11:23 AM
:wow That is a lot a trouble to go to get sick.

Why not just avoid eating the posted above, offensive meals since, ultimately, you are going to need to abstain from them since they make you sick?

Wouldn't steering clear of spicy red sauces solve it for you?

Best of luck to you! :)

Dr. Gonzo
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Kori is trying to kill you.

timvp
05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Sounds like you got that there swine flu, son. God bless. :lollol swine flu

:wow That is a lot a trouble to go to get sick.

Why not just avoid eating the posted above, offensive meals since, ultimately, you are going to need to abstain from them since they make you sick?

Wouldn't steering clear of spicy red sauces solve it for you?

Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks but yeah I want to figure out what exactly it is. I eat spicy, red things all the time in San Antonio. I'd have to move if I cut everything that might have chili sauce in it out of my diet.

I'm hoping it's red dye or something but that still wouldn't be too practical to figure out what I can't eat.

marini martini
05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Joe Chalupa's daughter has her first boyfriend, and you wanna get all the attention here???:lmao

Dex
05-04-2009, 11:28 AM
http://www.rnraz.com/training/recipes/P_F__Chang_s_BBQ_Sauce.html

Is that the PF Chang's sauce you had?

From what I've been able to research (yes, I'm that bored at work)....

The only common elements between make-shift recipes for Arby's sauce and Sweet and Sour sauce are Worcestershire, Soy sauce, and maybe ketchup or some sort of pepper sauce (Tabasco, Cayenne, etc...). You'd probably know if you were alergic to any of these products already though, unless it's a certain type they are using.

Then again, like you said...it could be some weird factory coloring that they all add, which you'd never find on an internet recipe.

I Love Me Some Me
05-04-2009, 11:30 AM
PF Changs....Arby's....sounds like you're allergic to crappy, over-priced food.

But...you should see an allergist, and they'll be able to tell you exactly what the culprit(s) is.

mrsmaalox
05-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Not a food allergy but a food intolerance. Could be due to a lot of things: ingredients or just your digestive chemistry. The only thing that seems odd is the immediate reaction you had the 2nd time at PF Chang's. Might be emotional ;) The only way to determine would be a process of elimination type thing, but without an exact listing of every ingredient in the tested foods, it's just going to tell you to avoid those foods---which you already know!

angel_luv
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
lol swine flu

Thanks but yeah I want to figure out what exactly it is. I eat spicy, red things all the time in San Antonio. I'd have to move if I cut everything that might have chili sauce in it out of my diet.

I'm hoping it's red dye or something but that still wouldn't be too practical to figure out what I can't eat.

You eat it all the time but you do not get sick all the time, so I don't see why/how your eating habits are suddenly going to be seriously interrupted, unless you overreact in nervousness.

Are you allergic to peanuts? Is there a peanut product in those sauces?

peewee's lovechild
05-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm allergic to red food dye.

It sucks.

I can only eat small quantities of flamin' hot cheetos because if I eat alot, my stomach kicks my ass and I'm up all night hoping that death will take me soon.

I also have to avoid that red velvet cake because of the red food dye.

Maybe the Arby's stuff has some food dye in it.

peewee's lovechild
05-04-2009, 11:37 AM

I didn't read this post.

You're probably right about the red dye thing.

Dex
05-04-2009, 11:37 AM
http://www.foodclassics.com/re3350/recipes.php

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccaar/arbys-sauce.html

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauces/r/sweetsourveg.htm

I've solved it.

timvp is allergic to white vinegar. Racist. :lmao

timvp
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.rnraz.com/training/recipes/P_F__Chang_s_BBQ_Sauce.html

Is that the PF Chang's sauce you had?

From what I've been able to research (yes, I'm that bored at work)....

The only common elements between make-shift recipes for Arby's sauce and Sweet and Sour sauce are Worcestershire, Soy sauce, and maybe ketchup or some sort of pepper sauce (Tabasco, Cayenne, etc...). You'd probably know if you were alergic to any of these products already though, unless it's a certain type they are using.

Then again, like you said...it could be some weird factory coloring that they all add, which you'd never find on an internet recipe.I don't think that's the right sauce. I don't know the name of it ... it's that sauce that they make at your table when you get there.

PF Changs....Arby's....sounds like you're allergic to crappy, over-priced food.

But...you should see an allergist, and they'll be able to tell you exactly what the culprit(s) is.I don't go to doctors so I have to figure this one out on my own.

You eat it all the time but you do not get sick all the time, so I don't see why/how your eating habits are suddenly going to be seriously interrupted, unless you overreact in nervousness.

Are you allergic to peanuts? Is there a peanut product in those sauces?I've avoided that PF Chang's sauce since then and I haven't eaten the Arby's sauce since I've gotten sick. I don't think it's a "sometimes" thing. I just think I rarely eat whatever it is that's getting me sick.

timvp
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Not a food allergy but a food intolerance. Could be due to a lot of things: ingredients or just your digestive chemistry. The only thing that seems odd is the immediate reaction you had the 2nd time at PF Chang's. Might be emotional ;) The only way to determine would be a process of elimination type thing, but without an exact listing of every ingredient in the tested foods, it's just going to tell you to avoid those foods---which you already know!Hmmm .. sounds like a food intolerance. Thanks :tu

And they were all immediate. I got sick right away in each of the five incidents ... four of which were unplanned. I literally start feeling sick within seconds.

angel_luv
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM

I've solved it.

:lol

timvp
05-04-2009, 11:43 AM

I've solved it.

:lmao Maybe it is white vinegar. I wonder what other type of food white vinegar is in. I know for sure its in at least the PF Chang's sauce and the Arby's sauce.

SpursStalker
05-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I've solved it.

:lol

I'd call those places and see if there is a way you can get the recipe for the items and see if there is similar ingredients. You can also go and get a allergy test done, just explain to your doctor about the items in question so he can specifically put those into the test ...

Hope you get it sorted out.

timvp
05-04-2009, 11:45 AM

It sucks.

I can only eat small quantities of flamin' hot cheetos because if I eat alot, my stomach kicks my ass and I'm up all night hoping that death will take me soon.

Hmmmm ... yeah red dye made the most sense to me because all three sauces are red. What else is that red dye in? I don't eat cheetos or that type of cake.

Kori Ellis
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
[/lame thread]

peewee's lovechild
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Hmmmm ... yeah red dye made the most sense to me because all three sauces are red. What else is that red dye in? I don't eat cheetos or that type of cake.

Red M&Ms, but you have to eat a shitloads of those.

Have you looked into MSG?

balli
05-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I have no idea, but interestingly enough I've eaten at PF Changs only once and I got a mild stomache ache. I think I had some scallops, which was dumb to begin with. I never eat at Arby's because about half the times I have, I've gotten a mild stomach ache. You might be on to something. Then again, it might be as suggested above; an allergic reaction to generally shitty food.

balli
05-04-2009, 11:51 AM
They still make Code Red Mt. Dew?

CuckingFunt
05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
But now out of curiosity, I want to see if my hypothesis is right. I'm thinking driving through Arby's and getting one of those roast beef sandwiches with Arby's red sauce. If I get sick, I'll know the mystery is a step closer to being solved. My other idea is to go buy a variety of ingredients that could be shared in those three sauces and try them one by one until I get sick.

Kori is telling me just to forget it but I've come this far in this lame azz journey, might as well get to the bottom of it :hungry:

So, does anyone have any idea what the shared ingredient is in Arby's red sauce, PF Chang's sauce and sweet and sour sauce? For the record, the sweet and sour sauce was more spicy than typical sweet and sour sauce ... and redder. And even though I'll regret it after getting sick, should I complete the mission to figure out what it is that poisons me?

Or you could just go to a doctor or an allergist.

I hate going to the doctor and avoid it as much as possible, but it sounds better than restaurant hopping in an attempt to make myself sick.

JudynTX
05-04-2009, 11:55 AM
:lol @ Kori

I hope you sort out this dilemma cause PF Changs has some damn good food. :tu

Kori Ellis
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
:lol @ Kori

I hope you sort out this dilemma cause PF Changs has some damn good food. :tu

We have eaten at PF Chang's lots of times since the incidents. The food is awesome. He just doesn't eat that sauce while we are there and he's fine.

I think that he's allergic to some particular type of chili rather than any dyes or vinegar.

LnGrrrR
05-04-2009, 12:20 PM

It sucks.

Be thankful, red food dye makes things taste horrible. :) My mother was a baker, and I hated whenever she brought home anything with red frosting.

Laker Lanny
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Are you allergic to wheat? Many sauces have it as an ingredient.

Sounds like you have an Ulcer

http://www.mamashealth.com/stomach.asp

tlongII
05-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Are you allergic to doctors? Why won't you see one? Are you some kind of nut in one of those religious cults?

ploto
05-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Capsaicin allergy?

Ironically some people use it to ease allergy symptoms. I eat spicy Chinese food and it clears my head up wonderfully!

ashbeeigh
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM

I've solved it.

And y'all call me the racist. :lmao

I've gotten sick from food three times in my life.

1. When I ate Cheese in Monterrey Mexico in October of 2006
2. The Mole from Mi Tierra in March of 2007 (I think I was just too stressed out)
3. More recently from farm raised salmon from HEB (it was too fat) this was like last month.

No common threads there. Just gross. :lol

JoeChalupa
05-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe you should just lay off the sauce for awhile. I've still got to get my buttocks over to PF Changs.

PM5K
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
It must not make you that sick if you can go back.

I got food poisoning from Dominoes a few years back and I haven't been back since.

mookie2001
05-04-2009, 06:21 PM
man i thought thispego was fragile

Summers
05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Are you allergic to wheat? Many sauces have it as an ingredient.

Sounds like you have an Ulcer

http://www.mamashealth.com/stomach.asp

But he'd have the symptoms a lot more often if it was wheat. I saw a friend have an allergic reaction to wheat (we forgot to check the label) :( and I seriously thought she was having a stroke. It was really scary.

IronMexican
05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
You should put a disclaimer before you make a lame thread like this.

mookie2001
05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
You should put a disclaimer before you make a lame thread like this.
ROFL
exactly what i was a thinking

Das Texan
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
timvp = pussy.

FaithInOne
05-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Keep hammering it down until you build up a tolerance.

mookie2001
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
you think thets badd?

thispego once broke cbfs ankle by juking him in basketball

mookie2001
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
im serial

TDMVPDPOY
05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
maybe it wasnt ketchup but some one rubbed one out to replace the sauce...nothing beats extra protein....

jman3000
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm allergic to Pineapple. My face gets red.

I feel your pain.

Summers
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm allergic to Pineapple. My face gets red.

I feel your pain.

Mangos have some chemical in them that make some people get a rash on their lips when they eat it. Maybe that's the connection. (Just trying to be helpful). :)

jman3000
05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I was born with mild Rosatia... it subsided and I think it's something in pineapple that just kinda activates the dormant colors under my skin. I have fair skin, so that really doesn't help at all.

01Snake
05-04-2009, 08:28 PM
"The server assembles a special dipping sauce at your table, combining hot mustard, chili paste, soy sauce, vinegar and chili oil."

tw05baller
05-04-2009, 10:04 PM
paging dr. house....

monosylab1k
05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I got food poisoning from Dominoes a few years back and I haven't been back since.

That's probably from the employees flicking boogers and wiping their dingleberries in your food.

marini martini
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
paging dr. house.... :toast

:lmao:lmao:lmao

JudynTX
05-05-2009, 09:04 AM
timvp,

I'm going to PF Changs tomorrow, I hope I don't get sick too. :(

ATRAIN
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I think Timvp gots the aids

spurster
05-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I assume you ruled out MSG.

If you get sick immediately, I would call that an allergy. If your digestive system takes a while to reject it, I would call that intolerance.

It's probably a good idea to go to a doctor to figure out an allergy that could kill you.

Dex
05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I assume you ruled out MSG.

If you get sick immediately, I would call that an allergy. If your digestive system takes a while to reject it, I would call that intolerance.

It's probably a good idea to go to a doctor to figure out an allergy that could kill you.

So he isn't alleric to white vinegar, he's just intolerant of it?

That sounds better.

Taco
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
sorry you got sick, but man this thread is making me hungry :lol

peewee's lovechild
05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
PF Chang's has a dessert of fried bannana egg rolls with ice cream. I love that dessert.