PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parkers trade value

ceds
05-05-2009, 06:11 AM
A friend asked me today who i would trade TP for.

The no brainers:
Bron / Kobe / Wade / Dwight / Yao and Durant

Would have to have a long think about:
CP3 / Roy / Melo / Amare / Dirk /

Thanks but no thanks!
Rhondo / J Johnson / Iggy / Bosh / Dwill

First its a testament to Tony that there are only 10 - 12 guys in the NBA that i would consider trading him for. The man has improved his game every season and will remain a top 5 pg for at least the next 8 years.

That being said...Tony's trade value is at an All time high right now.
Out of that list...The only team i think that would bite on a trade would be the suns with Amare. Im not upto speed on Amares health situation but if he is 100% i think i would go for this.

Am i crazy for saying i would pull the trigger on this trade?

- He would takes pressure away from TD
- Its easier to structure the team around Amare / TD / Hill / Manu for the next 2 seasons
- Both players have their prime ahead of them.
- Always say yes to trading a small for a big when they have equal value

Yuushi12
05-05-2009, 06:21 AM
a friend asked me today who i would trade tp for.

The no brainers:
Bron / kobe / wade / dwight / yao and durant

would have to have a long think about:
Cp3 / roy / melo / amare / dirk /

thanks but no thanks!
Rhondo / j johnson / iggy / bosh / dwill

first its a testament to tony that there are only 10 - 12 guys in the nba that i would consider trading him for. The man has improved his game every season and will remain a top 5 pg for at least the next 8 years.

That being said...tony's trade value is at an all time high right now.
Out of that list...the only team i think that would bite on a trade would be the suns with amare. Im not upto speed on amares health situation but if he is 100% i think i would go for this.

- he would takes pressure away from td
- its easier to structure the team around amare / td / hill / manu for the next 2 seasons
- both players have their prime ahead of them.
- always say yes to trading a small for a big when they have equal value

no way

romain.star
05-05-2009, 06:32 AM

The no brainers:

Thanks but no thanks!

First its a testament to Tony that there are only 10 - 12 guys in the NBA that i would consider trading him for. The man has improved his game every season and will remain a top 5 pg for at least the next 8 years.

Out of that list...The only team i think that would bite on a trade would be the suns with Amare. Im not upto speed on Amares health situation but if he is 100% i think i would go for this.

- Its easier to structure the team around Amare / TD / Hill / Manu for the next 2 seasons

Trading a small for a big often makes sense...
Yeah Duncan and Amare in the pain with Hill runing the point and Manu completing the background sounds pretty good..... but no

Chieflion
05-05-2009, 06:36 AM

The no brainers:

Thanks but no thanks!

You have to think for a long time to trade Parker for CP3?

montgod
05-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Why the heck is everyone trying to trade our best player??? I don't care how high his trade value is, TP and Duncan aren't available.

Just be patient and let's see what the FO does this summer before trying to trade everyone.

Dingle Barry
05-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Why the heck is everyone trying to trade our best player??? I don't care how high his trade value is, TP and Duncan aren't available.

Just be patient and let's see what the FO does this summer before trying to trade everyone.

Cuz he isn't going to stay longer than he has to.

kace
05-05-2009, 07:41 AM

The no brainers:

Thanks but no thanks!

- well, IMO, on your list i see only two no brainers: LBJ and Dwight Howard.

- Kobe could be but he's way more expensive than Tony and much older.

- all the others: NO. i don't think they would really bring much more than we would lost with tony.

- Rondo: :rollin

raspsa
05-05-2009, 07:52 AM
I'd seriously consider Brandon Roy. He's on his way to being a superstar and seems to be a level-headed guy and has leadership skills.. not much downside.

WalterBenitez
05-05-2009, 08:17 AM

The no brainers:

Thanks but no thanks!

I wouldn't say you are crazy without further test, anyhow ... why in the world should we trade our MVP with Championship experience who is going to his prime for someone else?

No thanks.

romain.star
05-05-2009, 08:18 AM

- all the others: NO. i don't think they would really bring much more than we would lost with tony.

well Parker is a spur since day 1, so it's actually very hard to figure out what the Spurs would lose by trading Parker and bringing another all-star PG like D-Will or CP3. More passing skills? Less scoring? Would the Spurs be better as a team? that's hard to say

romain.star
05-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Also, after watching this painfull French NT with TP runing the point, i'd be very curious to see what Parker can bring to a Duncan-less team in the NBA.
That being said, I really hope my curiosity will never be satisfied (well... at least not before TD retires!)

WalterBenitez
05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Also, after watching this painfull French NT with TP runing the point, i'd be very curious to see what Parker can bring to a Duncan-less team in the NBA.
That being said, I really hope my curiosity will never be satisfied (well... at least not before TD retires!)

Sorry for asking, is TP playing in French NT this season?

ceds
05-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't say you are crazy without further test, anyhow ... why in the world should we trade our MVP with Championship experience who is going to his prime for someone else?

No thanks.

A few reasons.

- 2 seasons max left in the championship window.
- Spurs must have an all star level (or close to it) big to beat the Lakers
- Its easier to fill the team around that core.They should be able to find a competant swingman with the MLE
- Will Parker bolt when TD retires??
- The small for big rule

Amare is dumb but no one can deny his talent. If he is 100% healthy then he has a legit chance of being the no 1 power foward in the game over the next 5 years.

romain.star
05-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Sorry for asking, is TP playing in French NT this season?

yep he is... His motivation is quite clear: the looming Olympic Games in London.

Anyway, new coach, new rules within the team, new players... we'll see how Parker handle that kind of leadership. Maybe he should have a chat with Manu before leaving cause so far, it has been pretty disappointing !

ceds
05-05-2009, 08:50 AM

I would trade TP for Wade or Yao in a heart beat and thank the basketball gods for my good fortune.

Durant i may not....only because he wont immediately improve the chance to win a ring but over the long run he could potentially be in the Kobe / Bron level.

ducks
05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
tp has his best season and still people want to trade him

Brazil
05-05-2009, 09:43 AM

An advice for you ta save your precious time: stop thinking. TP for Melo / Amare or Dirk yeah right :wakeup

sananspursfan21
05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
bad thread. tony as of now, is untouchable, end of story

kace
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
well Parker is a spur since day 1, so it's actually very hard to figure out what the Spurs would lose by trading Parker and bringing another all-star PG like D-Will or CP3. More passing skills? Less scoring? Would the Spurs be better as a team? that's hard to say

Passing skills ? there's no passing skills that could make Oberto, Bonner or KT catch an alley oop pass or improve shooters FG % when they're yet WIDE OPEN and still miss.

in these PO, we needed an aggressive scoring PG, we had the best at this job and it was still far from enough, unfortunately.

i could see some teams where CP3 or D-Will would be more useful than Tony, even if they're not as much different players as some people say.

but in the spurs, no way. especially after their respective performance in PO.

hater
05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I was just thinking this. Tony is the biggest trade asset the Spurs have. If they really are going to make a move to change this team and make it a contender again. They should shop Tony around and see what they could get.

Mr. Body
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd seriously consider trading Parker. Look at baskets of young players and draft picks. The only thing standing in the way of this option is faith in 2010.

Marcus Bryant
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
:td Piss poor idea.

Evil Angel
05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
:nope And they call me Evil.
Talk like this could ruin the team.
First things first, sign Gooden and get him to camp to fully learn the system.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I was just thinking this. Tony is the biggest trade asset the Spurs have. If they really are going to make a move to change this team and make it a contender again. They should shop Tony around and see what they could get.
:nope
Just the ACT of shopping Tony around would be the stupidest thing for this team since the ScoLA trade. :bang

Strike
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM

:bang

Tards.

GOSPURS733
05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
ill trade him to the thunder just tell them to send durant and westbrook over and its a deal

stéphane
05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm as retiscent to trade him as I would be over trading Manu.
Those two guys are the Spurs (not even need to mention Tim).
But let's be realistic, every player has a value. It's just that we won't get what he's worth anyway.

George Gervin's Afro
05-05-2009, 02:18 PM
The only way I trade TP is for the number 1 pick in the draft this year. Or for CP3...

DAF86
05-05-2009, 02:28 PM
The only way I trade TP is for the number 1 pick in the draft this year. Or for CP3...

And why the hell would you do that? this year's draft's talent pool is one of the worst in the history of the league.

ducks
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM

number one pick has proved nothing
cp3 sucked against denver this year
atleast 4 assist at home for him are not his
but he gets credited for them

George Gervin's Afro
05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
And why the hell would you do that? this year's draft's talent pool is one of the worst in the history of the league.

Blake Griffin..that kid is a sure fire number one option.. I said number one, not a lottery pick in this draft. read before you post.

sexinthatsx
05-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Blake Griffin..that kid is a sure fire number one option.. I said number one, not a lottery pick in this draft. read before you post.

That's awesome, trade a previous finals MVP for a guy named blake griffin who hasn't played one NBA game in his life. The potential of blake griffin's game in the NBA does NOT outweigh parker's PROVEN talent in the NBA.

Plus, the only reason all you guys are so set on trading parker for a big is because throughout the spurs history, we have proven that the "twin towers" is a successful form in building a championship caliber team. If/when duncan retires, there's no way the spurs will be comfortable building a team around a superstar PG, they simply aren't used to it.

George Gervin's Afro
05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
That's awesome, trade a previous finals MVP for a guy named blake griffin who hasn't played one NBA game in his life. The potential of blake griffin's game in the NBA does NOT outweigh parker's PROVEN talent in the NBA.

Plus, the only reason all you guys are so set on trading parker for a big is because throughout the spurs history, we have proven that the "twin towers" is a successful form in building a championship caliber team. If/when duncan retires, there's no way the spurs will be comfortable building a team around a superstar PG, they simply aren't used to it.

so when tim does retire what are going to use to build around a 30 yr old point guard?

FromWayDowntown
05-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Tony Parker's trade value (in real terms) is seriously limited by the fact that he's grossly underpaid to market.

It's nearly impossible to get talent-for-talent in a deal involving Parker.

DAF86
05-05-2009, 03:22 PM

I know you said number one pick, but is really stupid to trade a proven all-star in his prime for a rookie. The only way this could make sense is if the Spurs were in rebuilding mode and the Rookie was a Lebron or Shaq kind of rookie (when you had no doubt you were getting a future superstar)

George Gervin's Afro
05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I know you said number one pick, but is really stupid to trade a proven all-star in his prime for a rookie. The only way this could make sense is if the Spurs were in rebuilding mode and the Rookie was a Lebron or Shaq kind of rookie (when you had no doubt you were getting a future superstar)

I wouldn't trade Parker for just anyone. I believe that Griffin is a perennial 20 10 guy who you could build around. Anyway it will never happen and I would be pissed if the Spurs traded Parker for anything less than a Griffin..

chreph
05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
so when tim does retire what are going to use to build around a 30 yr old point guard?

I know they didn't win any 'ships, but NJ & Phoenix seemed to do okay with it :rolleyes

twilo73
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I also believe that Parker will leave as soon as his contract is over... and more importantly the problem we had was not lossing Manu it is that we had no one worth playing other than Parker and Duncan. We have to have the worst group of scrubs ever assembled in the NBA.

So I would trade Parker... but I would package him with expiring contracts not for a superstar replacement but rather for 2 or 3 high quality players that can play along side Ducan and Manu next year.

Some ideas:

NJ: Harris and Lopez
Raptors: Calderon and Marion/Bosh
Bobcats: Augustin, Diaw and Wallace
Grizzlies: Gasol, Gay and Conley
Blazers: several players

Not all are doable, but you catch my drift.

DAF86
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I know they didn't win any 'ships, but NJ & Phoenix seemed to do okay with it :rolleyes

Nash and Parker are totally different players, Nash is more of a playmaker with great passing and shooting skills, those kind of skills have little to do with age, while Tony is more of a score first PG with great slashing abilities and speed, those do relate more with age.

Xylus
05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
You guys need Boris Diaw. That guy would be such a perfect fit for San Antonio, other than the occasionally lazy attitude. I think Pop could whip him into shape.

As much as Diaw frustrated me, he was without a doubt, a playoff performer.

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Tony Parker's trade value (in real terms) is seriously limited by the fact that he's grossly underpaid to market.

It's nearly impossible to get talent-for-talent in a deal involving Parker.

Very true, I can't see any one-for-one trade for a similar-sized contract that would not be immediately rejected by one or both teams.

But what if Portland called? What if they said: We're interested in Parker and we'll consider any proposal that doesn't include Roy, Aldridge, or Oden. Go down our roster and suggest a deal:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/blazers.jsp

In addition, we have a late first rounder and 4 second rounders that are on the table.

We also have a trade exception big enough to take Bonner off your hands.

And, of course, we'll kick in enough cash for you to buy another draft pick from some other team.

Do the Spurs take that call?

Brazil
05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
You guys need Boris Diaw. That guy would be such a perfect fit for San Antonio, other than the occasionally lazy attitude. I think Pop could whip him into shape.

As much as Diaw frustrated me, he was without a doubt, a playoff performer.

:toast

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Very true, I can't see any one-for-one trade for a similar-sized contract that would not be immediately rejected by one or both teams.

But what if Portland called? What if they said: We're interested in Parker and we'll consider any proposal that doesn't include Roy, Aldridge, or Oden. Go down our roster and suggest a deal:

In addition, we have a late first rounder and 4 second rounders that are on the table.

And, of course, we'll kick in enough cash for you to buy another draft pick from some other team.

Hell no. The Spurs are in win now mode, not build for the future mode. Losing TP (arguably the Spurs best player now all things considered) and not getting any superstar is the worst move ever.

Not to mention the extreme lack of depth at pg the Spurs are already facing. That would be a disaster.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
This logic is extremely flawed.

chreph
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Nash and Parker are totally different players, Nash is more of a playmaker with great passing and shooting skills, those kind of skills had little to do with age, while Tony is more of a score first PG with great slashing abilities and speed, those do relate more with age.

True... but I don't discount Parker's passing abilities until the Spurs have either changed their inside-out system or have more than 1 athletic guy on the roster. It's easier to "make plays" when you're on the court with a young RJ/K-Mart or Amare/Matrix than it is a Bonner/Old Finley. I think Parker will do just fine (maybe not avg 22/9) when you gets to 30. He's already got a better jumpshot than Jason Kidd ever had.

As for all the people who swear Parker's going to leave in 3 years, if he's that deadset on it, why would he & Eva have built that crazy mansion they have here? I'd have to imagine that mo'fo would probably be pretty hard to sell in this city unless they are willing to take below market value.

portnoy1
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I also believe that Parker will leave as soon as his contract is over... and more importantly the problem we had was not lossing Manu it is that we had no one worth playing other than Parker and Duncan. We have to have the worst group of scrubs ever assembled in the NBA.

So I would trade Parker... but I would package him with expiring contracts not for a superstar replacement but rather for 2 or 3 high quality players that can play along side Ducan and Manu next year.

Some ideas:

NJ: Harris and Lopez
Raptors: Calderon and Marion/Bosh
Bobcats: Augustin, Diaw and Wallace
Grizzlies: Gasol, Gay and Conley
Blazers: several players

Not all are doable, but you catch my drift.
That right there is the first parker trade post that actually makes sense.
Trade Parker/Gooden for Calderon / Bargnani / mensah bonsuh
The numbers add up. The spurs would get a point guard who can effeciently run an offense and passes first. they also get a 7 footer who can shoot the 3 and post up occasionally and last they get a high flying young guy who can get rebounds/block shots / DUNK.

Xylus
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Boris Diaw is one of the most talented players I've ever seen.

He can pass really well, he can rebound, he can defend multiple positions (he guarded Tony Parker in 2008!), he can hit the midrange jumper, he can shoot the 3-ball, he can post up, he can play point guard, he can play center, he can play power forward... Not a whole lot the man can't do.

Unfortunately, he's soft.

rascal
05-05-2009, 04:53 PM
I am usually all for trades but trading Parker now would not be a smart move. The spurs should build around Duncan and Parker. They already have a top five big and a top 5 pg.

Manu is the one who needs to go to open up some salary for a reliable star. I would trade Manu in a package for a player like Caron Butler.

Brazil
05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Boris Diaw is one of the most talented players I've ever seen.

He can pass really well, he can rebound, he can defend multiple positions (he guarded Tony Parker in 2008!), he can hit the midrange jumper, he can shoot the 3-ball, he can post up, he can play point guard, he can play center, he can play power forward... Not a whole lot the man can't do.

Unfortunately, he's soft.

I think his soft reputation is linked to the fact he is first a team player and not an egomaniac NBA player but once again I'm quite biased cauz I like him a lot. Anyway his spirit would be just perfect for this spurs team he would give a lot of flexibility for Pop systems.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 04:55 PM
That right there is the first parker trade post that actually makes sense.
Trade Parker/Gooden for Calderon / Bargnani / mensah bonsuh
The numbers add up. The spurs would get a point guard who can effeciently run an offense and passes first. they also get a 7 footer who can shoot the 3 and post up occasionally and last they get a high flying young guy who can get rebounds/block shots / DUNK.

That would be a very bad trade. I think Bargnani could help the Spurs for sure, but Calderon for Parker would be very bad. Spurs need a scoring pg and someone who can break down defenses.

Not to mention Pops can be had if the Spurs want him for free (meaning you do not have to trade Parker to get him). Calderon is a terrible defender and he would be wildly ineffective in the Spurs system if you are expecting TP production from him.

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Hell no. The Spurs are in win now mode, not build for the future mode. Losing TP (arguably the Spurs best player now all things considered) and not getting any superstar is the worst move ever.

Not to mention the extreme lack of depth at pg the Spurs are already facing. That would be a disaster.

What if they can't add enough to TD, TP, and Manu to be serious contenders? Expecting a series of transactions that transforms our ineffective, loudly condemned, bench into a championship supporting cast is very optimistic.

Do you spend the next three years fighting for a playoff spot and exiting in the first round and then rebuild after Tony has left in 2011 and Tim retires in 2012?

IMO, if the Spurs conclude that they cannot add enough to the Big 3 to challenge the Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics (not to mention the Rockets, Nuggets, Magic, and Blazers) they will have to consider trading their best assets. That means Tony or Manu.

The point of my post was that trading Tony for another elite player is an unlikely event. The only trade I would consider for Tony is one that brings upgrades at several positions in return. In the Portland example, the Spurs could get a package that includes several of the players from this group: Frye, Outlaw, Webster, Fernandez, Batum, Rodriquez, Blake, Bayless. Three or four young players, draft picks, and cap flexibility could be attractive.

portnoy1
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
That would be a very bad trade. I think Bargnani could help the Spurs for sure, but Calderon for Parker would be very bad. Spurs need a scoring pg and someone who can break down defenses.

Not to mention Pops can be had if the Spurs want him for free (meaning you do not have to trade Parker to get him). Calderon is a terrible defender and he would be wildly ineffective in the Spurs system if you are expecting TP production from him.
I'm by no means expecting 22pts and a hard 6ast. I'd be expecting avery johnson numbers. I'd expect 12pts , and a smooth 9ast with no turnovers. and sense calderon runs a good offense the spurs can get away with him not scoring, meaning duncan 20pts/10rbs/2blk - bargnani 15pts/5rb/1blk
and

portnoy1
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm by no means expecting 22pts and a hard 6ast. I'd be expecting avery johnson numbers. I'd expect 12pts , and a smooth 9ast with no turnovers. and sense calderon runs a good offense the spurs can get away with him not scoring, meaning duncan 20pts/10rbs/2blk - bargnani 15pts/5rb/1blk
- manu - 15pts/4rbs/3ast - and we would have 2 shooters average near 10pts per game because calderon likes to hit shooters coming off screens unlike parker. we would also have a better fast break game with more guys involved instead of parker and a one man fast break. By the way im not a parker hater, the guy is incredible. Its just that the spurs need a real point guard who understands how to utilize other player better. ala cp3/d-will / rondo / calderon.

TMTTRIO
05-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Manu is the one who needs to go to open up some salary for a reliable star. I would trade Manu in a package for a player like Caron Butler.

Right now Manu has no trade value so it'd be hard to trade him for anybody. I think it's more likely they'll let him go during free agency next year which I have no problem with even though he's my favorite player the way Pop was talking about replacing stars with stars.

George Gervin's Afro
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
What if they can't add enough to TD, TP, and Manu to be serious contenders? Expecting a series of transactions that transforms our ineffective, loudly condemned, bench into a championship supporting cast is very optimistic.

Do you spend the next three years fighting for a playoff spot and exiting in the first round and then rebuild after Tony has left in 2011 and Tim retires in 2012?

IMO, if the Spurs conclude that they cannot add enough to the Big 3 to challenge the Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics (not to mention the Rockets, Nuggets, Magic, and Blazers) they will have to consider trading their best assets. That means Tony or Manu.

The point of my post was that trading Tony for another elite player is an unlikely event. The only trade I would consider for Tony is one that brings upgrades at several positions in return. In the Portland example, the Spurs could get a package that includes several of the players from this group: Frye, Outlaw, Webster, Fernandez, Batum, Rodriquez, Blake, Bayless. Three or four young players, draft picks, and cap flexibility could be attractive.

This is kind of where I am at. We could struggle the next 3 years and then lose parker for nothing. His trade value is at it's highest right now...

TheSpursFNRule
05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Why does everyone think TP will jump ship when hes an FA? I mean San Antonio groomed him into the player he is today, and maybe he took a lesson from TD as well? I don't know all this speculation just seems a bit arbitrary.

Brazil
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Why does everyone think TP will jump ship when hes an FA? I mean San Antonio groomed him into the player he is today, and maybe he took a lesson from TD as well? I don't know all this speculation just seems a bit arbitrary.

He will think eventually about that when Pop will retire

FromWayDowntown
05-05-2009, 05:24 PM

I think that unless you can get Roy or Aldridge, you don't do that deal.

It's a personal opinion, but I think that any time you trade a star/superstar and take back pieces, you've lost in the deal. LA's choice to deal Shaq to Miami for Odom/Butler/Grant is an example of that. Yeah, they got back some nice pieces if you looked at it on basketball-reference or something, but it clearly set them back for a few years. Odom has turned out to be a useful player to some good teams, but it took LA 3 full seasons and an inversion of the Shaq deal (Gasol for spare parts) to get back into contention.

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 05:26 PM

I don't think it is pre-ordained that he will leave. But the Spurs have declined from 2007 to 2008 to 2009. If that decline continues until 2011 retaining Tony becomes much more problematic.

05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
i would trade parker for harris and lopez. lopez will develop into a very good bigman in the next few years. obviously you trade a player when his value is highest, not when they start sucking. i always laugh whenever a player plays bad and all these trade threads come up. sell high, buy low. just ask the rockets. they bought scola low and the spurs traded him low. rockets win, spurs lose.

05-05-2009, 05:31 PM

It's a personal opinion, but I think that any time you trade a star/superstar and take back pieces, you've lost in the deal. LA's choice to deal Shaq to Miami for Odom/Butler/Grant is an example of that. Yeah, they got back some nice pieces if you looked at it on basketball-reference or something, but it clearly set them back for a few years. Odom has turned out to be a useful player to some good teams, but it took LA 3 full seasons and an inversion of the Shaq deal (Gasol for spare parts) to get back into contention.

76ers. except they screwed it up by signing brand.

1usamotorsports.com
05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Parker is a beast. Duncan is a tired warrior . Manu is a hurt Warrior .
Mason, bonner , bowen , oberto , vaugn and kurt gotta go .

portnoy1
05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Imagine a lineup.

Pf- duncan / Gist
Sf - finley / Bowen
C - Bargnani / Mensah- bonsuh
Pg- calderon / Hill
Sg - Mason / Ginobili

to start A smooth offensive system with 2 big men/ 2 shooters/ and a good setup man . off the bench a solid slasher a solid defender and 3 young athletic guys. championship 5 baby!!!!!!!

kaji157
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I would trade him for CP3 straight up. Both are great scorers but CP3 would make things easier for Duncan and Ginobili and all others.

Parker is not that great at makings others look good.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM

Spurs do not need to add a lot to their bench, they need to add to their starters. If you can get Mason back to his comfortable role in the starting line-up and upgrade the starting center then that should be enough. If you can move Manu back to the bench and Bonner to the bench that would be effective enough.

Of course, this all depends on health.

Spurs weren't really fighting for a playoff spot this year and that was with Pop's worst year as a coach and a ton of injuries. Like I said, I do not think the team is that far off (upgrade a center and sf, allowing Tim to rest and Manu to move back to the bench).

When Tim is gone, that is going to be devastating, but you can build around TP and throw max money at a player (Tim's money).

By this logic, why not trade Duncan/Ginobili? They are the oldest assests that can help a team get over the top, not to mention combined they have tradeable contracts where you can get actual value in return. Then you keep TP, put the players and draft picks around him then target bigger free agents.

You would need a superstar if you trade TP, or else you are wasting TD's last years. Then trading away a young asset makes no sense.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Imagine a lineup.

Pf- duncan / Gist
Sf - finley / Bowen
Pg- calderon / Hill
Sg - Mason / Ginobili

to start A smooth offensive system with 2 big men/ 2 shooters/ and a good setup man . off the bench a solid slasher a solid defender and 3 young athletic guys. championship 5 baby!!!!!!!

That is a terrible line up for many reasons. That would easily be the worst defensive team in the Duncan era and they would struggle to score points.

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM

You're probably right. I'm just not very optimistic that the Spurs can add enough this summer to compete with the elite teams of the NBA just by exchanging their current spare parts for different spare parts. Perhaps they can add enough this summer and next combined to get back on top.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the Spurs have stayed among the league's best teams for a longer period of time than any team in NBA history except for the Russell Celtics and the Showtime Lakers. Those teams both spent some time out of the playoffs before moving back up. If the Spurs can compete with the best for three more years, they will have done something that no team in NBA history has done before.

If they hold onto their core and descend into mediocrity anyway, the time on the outside looking in will be even longer.

If I was GM for a day, I would advocate a conservative approach this summer with smaller moves to get younger and more athletic. Then as the season proceeds towards the trade deadline, re-evaluate based on TD and Manu's health. With that information, decide whether to make bold moves at the trade deadline or preserve cap space for 2010. But what do I know?

Good luck to the FO, they'll need it.

FromWayDowntown
05-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't think it is pre-ordained that he will leave. But the Spurs have declined from 2007 to 2008 to 2009. If that decline continues until 2011 retaining Tony becomes much more problematic.

Tony Parker isn't going to stick around through a rebuilding process -- and I don't think he should. Given his pedigree, his personal legacy in the NBA depends upon his being a part of teams that win and have a chance to win titles. I don't think Tony Parker will put himself above team in that I don't think he'd be content to be a big numbers guy on a bad team; but I also don't think he's going to have much interest in playing for a bad team.

For all of the talk during all of the summers that players might be enticed to San Antonio by the lure of championships even if the money wasn't there, I think Tony Parker is a guy who would actually take less money to go play for teams that have a chance to win titles if the Spurs don't have a chance.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Perhaps they can add enough this summer and next combined to get back on top.

That is the ticket and that is what most fans do not understand. It is not just about next year. It is not all or nothing next year. If the front office can put this team (TD,Manu,TP) in serious contention just one or two more years until TD retires, then they did their job.

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Spurs do not need to add a lot to their bench, they need to add to their starters. If you can get Mason back to his comfortable role in the starting line-up and upgrade the starting center then that should be enough. If you can move Manu back to the bench and Bonner to the bench that would be effective enough.

Of course, this all depends on health.

You have a much more optimistic view of the current state of the roster and the ability of the FO to quickly improve the bench. It is a very uncertain time for the Spurs. The future performance levels of Tim and Manu are very much in doubt. If they are significantly diminished, and that is a reasonable possibility, then the Spurs will not be contenders regardless of the moves they make this summer. I would not advocate for a trade of Tony or Manu this summer. The Spurs, IMO, have to know at what level TD and Manu can perform before making major moves.

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
That is the ticket and that is what most fans do not understand. It is not just about next year. It is not all or nothing next year. If the front office can put this team (TD,Manu,TP) in serious contention just one or two more years until TD retires, then they did their job.

Agreed

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 06:01 PM
You have a much more optimistic view of the current state of the roster and the ability of the FO to quickly improve the bench. It is a very uncertain time for the Spurs. The future performance levels of Tim and Manu are very much in doubt. If they are significantly diminished, and that is a reasonable possibility, then the Spurs will not be contenders regardless of the moves they make this summer. I would not advocate for a trade of Tony or Manu this summer. The Spurs, IMO, have to know at what level TD and Manu can perform before making major moves.

All of my analysis comes with the underlying assumption that the big 3 is healthy and performing at a relatively high level.

If that is not the case, Spurs will just have to bite the bullet for a few years unless they can swing some trades for the big 3 and get value in return at the same time avoiding the alienation of their fan base.

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 06:08 PM
All of my analysis comes with the underlying assumption that the big 3 is healthy and performing at a relatively high level.

If that is not the case, Spurs will just have to bite the bullet for a few years unless they can swing some trades for the big 3 and get value in return at the same time avoiding the alienation of their fan base.

That won't be pretty. It was almost a day of mourning when Malik was traded. The Spurs only lost three home games that season. The game after the Malik trade was one of them. I've been to over 200 games at the ATT and don't think it was ever so somber in the building.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=250226024

doldrums
05-05-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd seriously consider Brandon Roy. He's on his way to being a superstar and seems to be a level-headed guy and has leadership skills.. not much downside.

you are joking that you would only trade him for LBJ and dwight?! CP3/D Wade/Kobe and Roy are all significantly better than him. That's not to put down tony's ability in any way, except to be a realist not a blind homer.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
you are joking that you would only trade him for LBJ and dwight?! CP3/D Wade/Kobe and Roy are all significantly better than him. That's not to put down tony's ability in any way, except to be a realist not a blind homer.

No.

benefactor
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
If I could get O.J. Mayo, Marc Gasol and Rudy Gay I might just pull the trigger. You get a future superstar in Mayo, a legit SF in Gay and a solid center to put beside Duncan. There might have to be another team involved to make the salaries work and to add a player or two back to Memphis. After that we could release Oberto and Bowen to free up some salary to sign Jarrett Jack away from Indiana.

Jack/Hill/Ginobili
Mayo/Ginobili/Mason
Gay/Bowen(resigned for minimum)/Finley
Duncan/Bonner/Gist?
Gasol/Thomas/Mahinmi

I think that team could win now and win going forwards if we build around Mayo for the future. But I am skeptical whether or not Memphis would be willing to part with all three to get Parker.

Brazil
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Imagine a lineup.

Pf- duncan / Gist
Sf - finley / Bowen
Pg- calderon / Hill
Sg - Mason / Ginobili

yeah but no

dirk4mvp
05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
If I could get O.J. Mayo, Marc Gasol and Rudy Gay I might just pull the trigger. You get a future superstar in Mayo, a legit SF in Gay and a solid center to put beside Duncan. There might have to be another team involved to make the salaries work and to add a player or two back to Memphis. After that we could release Oberto and Bowen to free up some salary to sign Jarrett Jack away from Indiana.

Jack/Hill/Ginobili
Mayo/Ginobili/Mason
Duncan/Bonner/Gist?
Gasol/Thomas/Mahinmi

I think that team could win now and win going forwards if we build around Mayo for the future. But I am skeptical whether or not Memphis would be willing to part with all three to get Parker.

That would be sick.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Jack/Hill/Ginobili
Mayo/Ginobili/Mason
Duncan/Bonner/Gist?
Gasol/Thomas/Mahinmi

There is no way Memphis would do this. They are rebuilding and TP is not going to elevate them to a contender if you give those 3 away. If the Spurs think it is better to build around Mayo, why wouldn't Memphis?

The only teams that the Spurs big 3 helps (for trading purposes) are teams on the cusp of being contenders.

With the exception of TP who you could build around to a certain degree, but even then it would take a situation where you get a top 5 pick in a deep draft class along with talent in order for it to make any sense. Trading TP is not a realistic option imo, but if you got a a ridiculous offer, then from a business standpoint, everyone is on the table.

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
we should have traded ginobili after 2007 i said i said

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Not to take this thread in a different direction, but who do you purpose the Spurs get for Ginobili at that time?

It was a double-edged sword signing Ginobili to that good of a contract. Spurs could never get an asset that produces at that level for that amount of money, so why get bent over in a trade?

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
a guy that would have put up 15 points up a night
and could play more then 25 minutes a night
and a guy that could make free throws

you take manu free throws out the last 4 minutes a ball game
he would average around 12- maybe 14 points a game

spurs now have players that could make late free throws

montgod
05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Cuz he isn't going to stay longer than he has to.

Unlike some wayward Spurs fans, I don't see Tony just up and leaving just because. The Spurs are a great organization and have strived to win every year not like other organizations (Clippers, Grizzlies, etc.). This is the first time the Spurs have lost in the first round since 99-00. Why would he want to leave that type of winning atmosphere? This isn't even taking into account that the Spurs are a close knit group and usually don't want to leave because of Pop.

So reiterating what I already said, there is no need to jump off a mountain and try to trade everyone including your best player because you think they may leave. The FO has time, the players, as well as the fans, just have to be patient and see what they do this offseason.

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
they are going to lock up tp longterm
does not mean they are going to build just around tp

spurs are built around the big three now

hopefully spurs can get 2 others to sign longterm deals around tp

if not after duncan and manu retire
then you consider trading tp for 2-3 young proven superstars

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
a guy that would have put up 15 points up a night
and could play more then 25 minutes a night
and a guy that could make free throws

you take manu free throws out the last 4 minutes a ball game
he would average around 12- maybe 14 points a game

spurs now have players that could make late free throws

Name me one person that puts up Manu's numbers (efficiency, per minute...) at the same price as Manu on team that would need Manu that would have logically been willing to trade.

Lars
05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
LOL @ Parker for Gay, Mayo and Gasol!

benefactor
05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
There is no way Memphis would do this. They are rebuilding and TP is not going to elevate them to a contender if you give those 3 away. If the Spurs think it is better to build around Mayo, why wouldn't Memphis?

The only teams that the Spurs big 3 helps (for trading purposes) are teams on the cusp of being contenders.

With the exception of TP who you could build around to a certain degree, but even then it would take a situation where you get a top 5 pick in a deep draft class along with talent in order for it to make any sense. Trading TP is not a realistic option imo, but if you got a a ridiculous offer, then from a business standpoint, everyone is on the table.
You are probably right. I was using it more as a guideline on exactly what it would take to part with Parker. Something like this is about as close as it is going to get.

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
You are probably right. I was using it more as a guideline on exactly what it would take to part with Parker. Something like this is about as close as it is going to get.

Yes, that I agree with. It would take an absurd offer to part with TP, Manu or TD.

benefactor
05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
LOL @ Parker for Gay, Mayo and Gasol!
From which side? Memphis or SA? As a Grizz fan I would have very mixed emotions about this trade, but as a Spurs fan I would be pretty damn optimistic.

Lars
05-05-2009, 09:07 PM
From which side? Memphis or SA? As a Grizz fan I would have very mixed emotions about this trade, but as a Spurs fan I would be pretty damn optimistic.

Its highway robbery.

benefactor
05-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Its highway robbery.
Hey...one good Gasol robbery deserves another. :)

portnoy1
05-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Imagine a lineup.

Pf- duncan / Gist
Sf - finley / Bowen
Pg- calderon / Hill
Sg - Mason / Ginobili

The reason this is a good trade is because Duncan has someone behind him ( Bargnani ) to block shots and help out on the boards. On offense Duncan can get touches in the paint while Bargnani is at the 3pt line, when Duncan goes to the bench Bargnani can get on the block.
Also Mensah Bonsuh- is an athletic young player. He can block shots and get rebounds. And then the main piece of the trade Calderon will run a solid offense. He will make sure everyone gets touches. He is going to run Pic n rolls with Duncan/Bargnani and he will run plays for shooters Finley/Mason jr. to come off screens. He also will get the younger players
Mensah-bonsuh / Gist out in transition for dunks. Calderon is not nearly as good a defender as parker, but He is a better point guard. Yeah I know parker can score 22 and 6ast a game but he works to hard for it. Calderon understands how to properly use other players to make his job easier. He also thinks pass first and gets his points within the offense like a real point guard is suppose to.

peskypesky
05-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd trade Parker for:
Yao, Lebron, Kobe, Dwight Howard, DWade, CP3, Dirk, Bosh, Brandon Roy, Pau Gasol....

Possibly:
Durant, Rudy Gay, Al Jefferson

Dr. Gonzo
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Trade him for someone who can duuuuuunk!

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I'd trade Parker for:
Lebron, Kobe, Dwight Howard, DWade, CP3, Durant

peskypesky
05-05-2009, 11:13 PM

we don't WANT to trade him, but you have to be realistic and sober when you're trying to build a team. and sometimes it means trading a player with high value for a piece you need to get to the top level.

timaios
05-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Imagine a lineup.

Pf- duncan / Gist
Sf - finley / Bowen
Pg- calderon / Hill
Sg - Mason / Ginobili

So no defense and that team could score like 70 ppg.
Seriously, take a look at the Cavs, the Lakers, the Rockets, the Nuggets, the Celtics...

Finley :lmao
Mensah- bonsuh :lmao
Gist never played 1 NBA game
Bowen is old.
Mason was awful in playoffs.

You understand that there is absolutely no chance that the Spurs trade Parker.
And imagine they trade him to Toronto and then Toronto make a deal with the Celtics, the Lakers or the Cavs.
Then what ?
"Championship 5 baby" against a line-up of TP + Kobe + Pau + Bynum + Odom... (or TP + Allen + Pierce + KG...)

Greaaaaat idea !!!

dallaskd
05-05-2009, 11:33 PM
You would have to think about Parker for Paul? Chris Paul is 24 tommorow. Parker is 27 later this month. CP3 is already the more talented of the 2 and is not even close to his prime yet.

peskypesky
05-05-2009, 11:36 PM
You would have to think about Parker for Paul? Chris Paul is 24 tommorow. Parker is 27 later this month. CP3 is already the more talented of the 2 and is not even close to his prime yet.

+1

and i'm saying that even though i think he's a douche

timaios
05-05-2009, 11:36 PM

Yeah, because New Orleans really really want to trade CP3 !
And the Lakers want to trade Kobe.
And the Spurs want to trade Duncan.
And the Cavs want to trade Lebron.

:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

ducks
05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
we don't WANT to trade him, but you have to be realistic and sober when you're trying to build a team. and sometimes it means trading a player with high value for a piece you need to get to the top level.

already posted once duncan retires
if spurs can not get 2 other stars with him
you trade him for 2-3 young Proven stars

BUT NOT NOW

sexinthatsx
05-06-2009, 12:06 AM

After the stupid grizzles traded away pau gasol for a few scrubs and a bag of chips, I think anything's possible now.

VI_Massive
05-06-2009, 12:16 AM

Would have agreed with this until he folded in the Denver series. I know NO couldn't win that series, but Paul either quit, got owned, or a combination of the two. Compare his performance to Deron Williams, who was in an equally bleak situation against LA. His team didn't win, but D-Will fought and played a pretty good series. Paul did not give a performance worthy of someone supposed to be an elite player.

peskypesky
05-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Would have agreed with this until he folded in the Denver series. I know NO couldn't win that series, but Paul either quit, got owned, or a combination of the two. Compare his performance to Deron Williams, who was in an equally bleak situation against LA. His team didn't win, but D-Will fought and played a pretty good series. Paul did not give a performance worthy of someone supposed to be an elite player.

hmmm

he averaged nearly 17pts, 10.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds

not too shabby. and if he does that well when he's having a bad series, then imagine when he's having a good one.

VI_Massive
05-06-2009, 01:12 AM
hmmm

not too shabby. and if he does that well when he's having a bad series, then imagine when he's having a good one.

His stats were ok, but this is one of those situations where the stats don't tell the story. he gave up and let his team give up. their performance against denver was a disgrace. if you're supposed to be one of the best players in the league and a leader at the "leader" position (pg) on the court, you can't let that happen.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a great player, he surely is. But if you're talking about a team-changing trade, you have to take these things into account.

peskypesky
05-06-2009, 01:29 AM
His stats were ok, but this is one of those situations where the stats don't tell the story. he gave up and let his team give up. their performance against denver was a disgrace. if you're supposed to be one of the best players in the league and a leader at the "leader" position (pg) on the court, you can't let that happen.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a great player, he surely is. But if you're talking about a team-changing trade, you have to take these things into account.

well, since the Spurs got bounced in an embarrassing manner, I guess Parker is lame too.

VI_Massive
05-06-2009, 01:47 AM
well, since the Spurs got bounced in an embarrassing manner, I guess Parker is lame too.

The numbers don't always tell the story. If you watched those two series, SA played hard but was simply outmatched without Manu and Timmy on one leg and no one else stepping up whereas New Orleans just gave up. Shit, they lost by 58 points AT HOME. Yeah, SA got beat badly in their series, but not because its best players gave up.

Mr. Body
05-06-2009, 04:22 AM
I'd trade Parker for Chris Paul in a heartbe-

superjames1992
05-06-2009, 06:22 AM
We aren't trading away Manu, Timmy, or Tony, so let's just forget about it. Unless we can get Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol from the Lakers in exchange for him (I know that won't happen), there's no way I'm trading any of them away. They and Bruce Bowen are the only common players that have been here for the last three titles, so why would we let any of them go?

twilo73
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
The more I think about it the more I like this trade... which is btw doable per Trade Checker:
To San Antonio:
Harris
Lopez
Nejara
NJ's 1st round pick this year

To NJ:
Parker
Our three 2nd round picks
We can add Ian to close the deal.

Then we use our MLE to pick up a good SF, and obviously draft someone who will be a good backup and a starter in the future.

Why does NJ do it? First they lower their salary obligations for 2010 and with Parker it makes it more appeling for Lebron, Wade, or others to come to NJ in 2010.

Why we do it? We suround Duncan and Manu with real players to make two or three more runs at a ring. Plus once Duncan retires we have a base to build on.

Our team:

Harris/Hill
Mason/Manu
MLE/Draft
Duncan/Gooden and Nejara
Lopez/Would love to bring in Spliter but doubt it, so Nejara, Gooden, or Thomas would have to slide in here.

I would do everything in my power to drop Bowen, Oberto, Booner and maybe Finley. So we can trade some expiring contracts for a good backup.

Any ideas for the MLE player? Also if Portland is truly looking to trade Rudy as another thread suggests what can we offer them?

DPG21920
05-06-2009, 09:33 AM
TP is not a real player?

Mel_13
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
The more I think about it the more I like this trade... which is btw doable per Trade Checker:
To San Antonio:
Harris
Lopez
Nejara
NJ's 1st round pick this year

To NJ:
Parker
Our three 2nd round picks
We can add Ian to close the deal.

Why does NJ do it? First they lower their salary obligations for 2010

This trade actually increases their 2010 obligations slightly.

I also don't think that NJ gives up Lopez to make the upgrade from Harris to Parker.

chreph
05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I thought I heard that NJ wanted Manu thrown into the VC deal and they would add Lopez. I love Manu but that made TOO much sense... I was really disappointed the Spurs did not pull that trigger. In hindsight, I'm even more disappointed :depressed

Parker
VC
whoever
Duncan
Lopez

DPG21920
05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I thought I heard that NJ wanted Manu thrown into the VC deal and they would add Lopez. I love Manu but that made TOO much sense... I was really disappointed the Spurs did not pull that trigger. In hindsight, I'm even more disappointed :depressed

Parker
VC
whoever
Duncan
Lopez

I highly doubt that is true and I have seen no sources imply that deal was ever on the table.

twilo73
05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
This trade actually increases their 2010 obligations slightly.

I also don't think that NJ gives up Lopez to make the upgrade from Harris to Parker.

That's actually not true. Harris will have a $7.8 MM contract this year and has 10.5% increases for 5 years. That would make his salary $9.5 in 2010 add to that Nejara's 2.8 and Lopez' 2.4 and you get $14.7 for 2010. Parker will be at $13.5 that summer, which means $1.2 less... and add to that one less guaranteed draftee contract and they would save some money. Not a whole lot but some.

My source: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/091307dnspomavslede.ca055365.html

chreph
05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I highly doubt that is true and I have seen no sources imply that deal was ever on the table.

I went back and searched but all I could find is people saying that was the counter offer but they don't remember what site they saw it on so you're probably right. Someone posted that it was VC/Lopez/scrub for Manu/Bonner/Hill/filler... pipe dream I guess :(

chreph
05-06-2009, 10:54 AM
"Devin, along with Josh [Howard], those guys will carry the baton for us into the future," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.

:lol

Mel_13
05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
That's actually not true. Harris will have a $7.8 MM contract this year and has 10.5% increases for 5 years. That would make his salary $9.5 in 2010 add to that Nejara's 2.8 and Lopez' 2.4 and you get $14.7 for 2010. Parker will be at $13.5 that summer, which means $1.2 less... and add to that one less guaranteed draftee contract and they would save some money. Not a whole lot but some.

My source: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/091307dnspomavslede.ca055365.html

I use the numbers on shamsports, but they are about the same.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/nets.jsp

You do have to add two minimum contracts to Tony's salary to account for the roster spots vacated by Lopez and Najera which makes the 1.2M all but disappear. I get a cap increase of about 300K.

Either way, it wouldn't be a factor for NJ.

twilo73
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I went back and searched but all I could find is people saying that was the counter offer but they don't remember what site they saw it on so you're probably right. Someone posted that it was VC/Lopez/scrub for Manu/Bonner/Hill/filler... pipe dream I guess :(

It's not really such a pipe dream... especially if NJ really wants to be under the cap in 2010. Adding Lopez to the deal does make it hard, but not impossible as the Spurs need some sort of bonus to do the deal.

Now I worked the numbers and we don't necessarily need to add Manu to the deal. If NJ wants younger guys we could do something like Hill, Mason (although I'm not sure his value is as high as it was last year), Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto. We would add some picks to make it more interesting... say one protected 1st and a couple of 2nds.

Would they go for it?

Our team would be:
Parker/FA
Carter/Manu
MLE/Bowen or Finley
Duncan/Ian
Lopez/FA or Spliter if we are lucky.

Amazing team if you ask me.

portnoy1
05-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Seriously, take a look at the Cavs, the Lakers, the Rockets, the Nuggets, the Celtics...

Bowen is old.

And imagine they trade him to Toronto and then Toronto make a deal with the Celtics, the Lakers or the Cavs.
Then what ?
"Championship 5 baby" against a line-up of TP + Kobe + Pau + Bynum + Odom... (or TP + Allen + Pierce + KG...)

Greaaaaat idea !!!
We would have a better offense because of better ball movement. Our defense would be better because we have younger more athletic players in POPs system. Suppose the lakers trade for parker which is expected, parker wouldnt be nearly as brilliant with them. the point guard position for fill jackson always requires a jumpshooter as point guard for the triangle to work. bulls ( john paxson / steve kerr / ron harper ) lakers ( ron harper / derek fisher ) lets not forget what happen the last time the lakers had a premier point guard ( gary payton ) things were difficult for him, especially since he didnt get alot of touches. Kobe on the lakers has the ball more than manu on the spurs. So parkers opportunities would be limited. The Celtics are not going to give up rondo who runs a solid offense for parker who is more of a scoring guard. and if they get him he'll be backing up Rondo just like marbury the once premier point guard is. its all about team play together. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

portnoy1
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Pf - Duncan / Gist / Bonner
Sf - Finley / Bowen / Hairston
C - Bargnani / Mensah Bonsuh / Thomas
Pg - Calderon / Hill
Sg - Mason / Manu
Championship 5

Brazil
05-06-2009, 02:37 PM
lol lol and lol at all these trade parker bs. At short term there is no hope at all to win a 5th w/o tim and tp whatever the scenario you can build

timaios
05-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Pf - Duncan / Gist / Bonner
Sf - Finley / Bowen / Hairston
C - Bargnani / Mensah Bonsuh / Thomas
Pg - Calderon / Hill
Sg - Mason / Manu
Championship 5

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

portnoy1
05-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Bowen is old.

Then what ?

Greaaaaat idea !!!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
do you have a better plan? if so im all ears. Im a resonable guy. show me what ya got.

superjames1992
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
lol lol and lol at all these trade parker bs. At short term there is no hope at all to win a 5th w/o tim and tp whatever the scenario you can build
Or Manu. Trading anyone of them away is very stupid IMO unless you get LeBron or Kobe in return ... and we know that's not going to happen!

kace
05-06-2009, 05:13 PM
hmmm

:lol

that's what is so fun with the haters.

less than 17 ppg at 41 % , 10.5 ass. (with the usual gifts from scorekeepers) but almost 5 TO and ZERO leadership. and shitty defense. and you call that a "not so bad" performance from Paul ??

If Tony had this performance after a first round elimination, there would be dozens of "Trade TP's ass" threads, and you would be one of the most consistent poster in those threads.

I think there is some players that would be great to trade for TP for the spurs.

but any of those trades will happen (LBJ, DHoward...)
and any of those potential trades would involve a PG, because TP is a TOP 3 PG, and in those PO (well for the 1st round at least) he was a TOP 1 PG.

As long as he doesn't make 20 M/year but 13/14 M, tony is a lock for the spurs.

People talk about manu and TP, but one question who could (should ?) be asked is: Is TD still worthing 20+ M /year ? i mean it's not only a great player contract. it's a super dominant player contract. and Tim isn't one anymore. i don't think it's a blaspheny to say that.

in three years, timmy will still make 20+ M and what will his level be then ?

i would be the first to admit he deserves it for what he has accomplished and bring to this team. but pure level wise, Tim is now more a 15-16 M player than a 20+ M one.

it's what often happens. great players need some time to get to a well deserved max 20 M contract and often, when they get there, they don't have the level worthing it anymore.

Look at the Top20/Top30 biggest salaries and you will see it's very far from the Top20/Top30 current best players in the league.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Brazil
05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
^^ It's so true how can we just begin to think about trading him when the guy has a reasonable contract at 14 M. TP is may be the best quality/price player of the nba.

Hornets1
05-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Maybe because he was injured most of the series. He was playin at 70%(at best) the last two games. Posey, West, Chandler, Paul, and Peja were all playing hurt vs. denver. We never had a snowball's chance in hell.

BTW, TP is the LAST person the spurs should trade. He is what makes the spurs go. No offense to Duncan, but it's about time for TP to be the only spur worthy of MVP consideration. He would get more votes if it wereb't for duncan. I also think he and DWill are tied for 2nd best PG. Parker might be the most underrated player in the league. Trading him would be a step backward almost regardless of what you would realistically get in return.

Hornets1
05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
The numbers don't always tell the story. If you watched those two series, SA played hard but was simply outmatched without Manu and Timmy on one leg and no one else stepping up whereas New Orleans just gave up. Shit, they lost by 58 points AT HOME. Yeah, SA got beat badly in their series, but not because its best players gave up.
Complete arrogance. Our whole team was hurt. Maybe you should watch how the denver team that beat us is dominating the dallas team that beat yall. New Orleans gave up? Maybe in one game, but they played hard in games 1,2,3, and 5. If you watched the series? You obviouly either didn't watch it, or did with complete bias towards your team. Its great to be a fan, but it also important to be realistic by taking a step out of your team's ass and take a look at the big picture. It should be a clue whenever a majority of spurs fans disagree with you

ducks
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
hornets gave up in game in game 5 in second half
sorry

DPG21920
05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
hornets gave up in game in game 5 in second half
sorry

Still never answered my question haiku.