PDA

View Full Version : I love this (passing) mention of Tim Duncan (Lebron MVP article)

honestfool84
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
King James earns his place as Kia Most Valuable Player (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/rob_peterson/05/04/james.20090504/index.html)

Almost from the start, LeBron James seemed destined for success. He appeared on his first Sports Illustrated cover at 17, the words "The Chosen One" blaring from the headline below. On Monday, a little more than seven years later, James has been chosen as the 2008-09 NBA Most Valuable Player presented by Kia Motors.

Because of his early high profile -- the magazine cover, a Rookie of the Year award in 2004, a Finals appearance in 2007 and six full seasons of increasing dominance in the league -- it feels as if James has been around for quite some time. Yet as he wraps his hands around the Maurice Podoloff trophy on Monday, James becomes, at 24 years and 125 days old, the youngest MVP ever voted the award by sportswriters and broadcasters (who have been at it since the 1980-81 season). Only five-time MVP Michael Jordan was nearly as precocious, winning his first at the age of 25 in 1988.

And while there may be those who see his progression as a predestined coronation for "The King," James has earned this award not through destiny or regal nickname, but because of his regal game. When he entered the league in 2003, James was all raw, youthful power. This year, more than any other, he found balance between that power and the power to make those around him better. He has become a leader.

How good were the Cavaliers this season when LeBron was at his best? They were brutally, ruthlessly efficient. In the 81 games he played, he sat out 14 fourth quarters because the leads he helped build through the first three quarters were big enough that James -- and a few of the other starters -- could take the final 12 minutes off.

When he was on the court, James produced staggering numbers: 28.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.2 assists a game. A league-high seven triple-doubles. A league-leading plus/minus of 871. And a nearly historic Player Efficiency Rating of 31.76, just shy of Jordan's record of 31.89 in 1988.

As staggering as those numbers are, James has had better seasons, statistically. He averaged 31.4 points per game in 2005-06. He averaged more rebounds (7.9) last season and more steals in 2004-05 (2.2, compared to 1.7 this season).

Yet for the first time in his career, his numbers translated to overwhelming team success.

Throughout his career, James has brought light and heat to a franchise prone to long bouts of dark, dank seasons. This season, James and the Cavs rolled to a 66-16 record, best in the league, including an incredible 39-2 at home, also best.

Ironically, one of the reasons James has raised his game to an MVP level is his improvement on defense, which can be attributed to spending all summer on the U.S. Olympic team with Kobe Bryant, one of the NBA's premier on-the-ball defenders and last year's MVP. Who knew the student would pass the teacher?

"He's become a stud defender," Nets coach Lawrence Frank said. "Speaking as an outsider, that Olympic experience benefitted these guys. The defensive plays he makes are unbelievable.

"[He's] another guy who can win games for you defensively, not only on the ball but off the ball."

That's a testament to James' high hoops IQ. He takes risks defensively, but they're calculated risks complemented by a ridiculous athletic ability that allows him to make plays most other players can't. As such, he finished second to Orlando's Dwight Howard in the Kia Defensive Player of the Year voting.

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, who was an assistant on Team USA, saw LeBron's drive and focus first-hand.

"He's 6-foot-9, 260 pounds and probably the fastest guy on the floor," D'Antoni said. "It's not only a tough combo for us, but it makes him one of the best in the league.

"I think it's in his mind to be the best player. He wants to win a title and that's about it."

You can often judge how good a season an MVP has had by the competition. Dwyane Wade led the league in scoring with 30.2 points per game and was the first player under 6-foot-4 to record 100 steals and 100 blocks in a season. Bryant led the Lakers to 65-17 record. Howard topped the league in rebounding and blocks. New Orleans' Chris Paul, who finished second in the MVP voting last season, had more assists and steals than anyone.

James, though, passed them all. Barely 24, he has now truly earned his regal nickname.

"He's a special talent," Cavs coach Mike Brown said. "There are All-Stars and elite players. And then there are players who are a step above that. Kobe and Tim [Duncan] and Michael and Magic and 'Bron obviously fit in that category."

Now, James joins them all in another: NBA MVP.

romain.star
05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
yeah but i don't like this (passing) mention of Kobe

honestfool84
05-05-2009, 08:48 AM
yeah but i don't like this (passing) mention of Kobe

as much as you hate him, you have to realize he's one of the best.

romain.star
05-05-2009, 08:54 AM

i don't hate the guy. I just don't like the fact that he is one the best !

Yuushi12
05-05-2009, 09:55 AM

+1

Obstructed_View
05-05-2009, 10:28 AM

He's got a lot of talent, and he's a great scorer, but he belongs in the converstation with Kevin Garnett and Allen Iverson way before he belongs in the conversation with Duncan, Magic and Jordan.

anonoftheinternets
05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
He's got a lot of talent, and he's a great scorer, but he belongs in the converstation with Kevin Garnett and Allen Iverson way before he belongs in the conversation with Duncan, Magic and Jordan.

+1, needs to lead a team to multiple championships as the main option to be in that category (he has a shot, but is 0 currently), I dont know why everyone gives him a free pass in our generation. History will not be so kind though.

romain.star
05-05-2009, 10:31 AM

i'd say he's in between

ambchang
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Kobe is the best second fiddle in NBA history.

poop
05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
there was a poll on the yahoo mainpage yesterday complete with an article proclaiming lebron is far the greatest player of this generation (already oh brother)

the poll included him, kobe, duncan, and 'other'.

lebron was destroying kobe and tim (4 titles 3 finals MVPS back to back league MVP) in the poll as greatest player of the generation.

christ why dont we put him in a poll with Jesus and God so we can watch The Greatest Anything Ever destroy them hahahhahahaha

Obstructed_View
05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Shaq got named to the 50 greatest of all time team when he had only been in the league a few years. The reason is because anyone with a brain could see how good he was going to be if he managed not to get hit by a bus. Lebron's in that same category. Yeah he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in that company, but it's just a matter of time.

galvatron3000
05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Shaq got named to the 50 greatest of all time team when he had only been in the league a few years. The reason is because anyone with a brain could see how good he was going to be if he managed not to get hit by a bus. Lebron's in that same category. Yeah he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in that company, but it's just a matter of time.

He didn't deserve it at the time regardless of what the potential was. Shaq was only dunking the ball, had no go to move, no hook and took Dominique's well deserved spot. No one should be giving such an honor based on what you think he will be later on, al a Sam Bowie. Now if the votes were based on what they thought he was at the time cool but Shaq went on after that nod to continue without any real significant change to his game until 2000, the year after Duncan schooled him in the shorten 1999 playoffs, which I say to this day motivated him for 2000. Also, in 2000 the newly formed Kobe was emerging and Duncan was out of the playoffs due o injury. Anyway, LeBron's biggest defiencies were his jumper and defense, both of which have improved (his shot could step up more) and based on his performance (not what he maybe later) this season he deserves to be mentioned but not given the honor.

honestfool84
05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
regardless, i personally don't think anyone deserves to be in the same class as jordan - mainly because of the rule changes, and now the defenses are MUCH, MUCH softer.

Obstructed_View
05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
regardless, i personally don't think anyone deserves to be in the same class as jordan - mainly because of the rule changes, and now the defenses are MUCH, MUCH softer.

True. Realistically, Jordan's a step above everyone else.

lefty
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
:lmao comparing Kobe to Timmy :lmao

galvatron3000
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
There are some who would suggest , as great as Michael was on the court, that the rules were changed to benefit his skills during his time (::cough:: ::cough:: WILT ::cough:: cough::). Hey, I think Kobe is great. I think LeBron is greatness starting to happen. Michael was a beast and head and shoulders above his peers. I dare not compare because I will always choose MJ.

SouthTexasRancher
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM

Yep...Michael was a step above everyone for sure. Win 3 Championships in a row, step away from the game for a couple years, then come back and win 3 more Championships in a row. The only negative was that those championships included Phil Jackson.

Manufan909
05-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Once Lebron comes close to half of Tim's accomplishments, then I might accept him as being on the Timmy, Magic, Jordan, Bird level, but not yet. And Kobe has to make up for over half a decade of sucking without Shaq to mooch off of.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2009, 06:37 AM
There are some who would suggest , as great as Michael was on the court, that the rules were changed to benefit his skills during his time (::cough:: ::cough:: WILT ::cough:: cough::).

Wilt's comments were bitterness at the attention Jordan got. He also blamed better hotels and flying on jets and TV coverage for new players. If rule changes to try to stop you are a sign of greatness, then why isn't Trent Tucker in the hall of fame?

galvatron3000
05-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Wilt's comments were bitterness at the attention Jordan got. He also blamed better hotels and flying on jets and TV coverage for new players. If rule changes to try to stop you are a sign of greatness, then why isn't Trent Tucker in the hall of fame?

Wilt may have been bitter but he was telling the truth. When Wilt played they changed rules to stop him but when Michael played they changed rules to actually help his game, even though he was having major success before. Thus the flagrant fouls etc.

Imposter Cleaner
05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Anyone getting MVP trophy of this season is definitely a robber, it's crystal clear the most valuable player of this year is Kevin Durant.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Wilt may have been bitter but he was telling the truth. When Wilt played they changed rules to stop him but when Michael played they changed rules to actually help his game, even though he was having major success before. Thus the flagrant fouls etc.

The flagrant foul rule was not put in place because of Jordan, and it didn't stop the Pistons from knocking the dogshit out of him and Pippen anyway. Most of the Wilt rules were changed because he violated the spirit of the rules in a way nobody had ever conceived of before. Wilt used to tip in his own players' shots so that he could get credit for the points, so the NBA changed the offensive goaltending rules. They changed the free throw rules because Wilt used to jump from behind the free throw line and dunk the ball because he couldn't shoot free throws.