PDA

View Full Version : Thousands of bees killed in San Antonio

mrsmaalox
05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Thousands of bees killed in San Antonio

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Thousands-of-bees-killed-in-San-Antonio/EkicjR5Ge0eCjBBDdAUWaQ.cspx?rss=68

Bees Attack on the Southside

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A group of men and dogs are recovering today after they were stung by thousands of bees from a nearly 30-square-foot hive.

City officials said no one had to be hospitalized and the animals appeared to be fine.

The San Antonio Fire Department and the city's Vector Control responded around 4 p.m. after getting a call about the bees at a home.

Eighteen-year-old Domingo Vargas and 28-year-old Danny Kerns were working next door on a truck when they noticed the bees swarming around dogs.

One dog was cornered in its doghouse and others bolted down the street.

Vargas and Kerns, and several other men they were with, ended up scrambling as well when the bees focused on them.

Kerns said in a story for the San Antonio Express-News that everyone was stung at least six or seven times.

City officials killed the bees and destroyed the hive.
----------------------------------------------------------

:spless: 30 square foot hive???

CosmicCowboy
05-05-2009, 09:11 AM
LOL 30 square foot? Gotta be a misprint.

Those african hybrids are getting to be a real problem...There were several dogs and people killed last year during swarm season...once they get pissed off and go after someone they just don't quit...

E20
05-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Good. fuck bees/wasps. we don't need them

honey bees are okay since they don't try to sting us more than once.

MoSpur
05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I sprayed a couple of small hives last night.

Living outside city limits on an acre of land sometimes makes me wonder when I am out there cutting the grass. I get worried if there may be some hive I am disturbing w/my lawnmower or weedeater

SpursStalker
05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
:wow

Bees freak me right the fuck out!!!!!

tlongII
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Good. fuck bees/wasps. we don't need them

honey bees are okay since they don't try to sting us more than once.

Those bees ARE honey bees.

BlackSwordsMan
05-05-2009, 11:28 AM
PETA should be coming here any moment now

LnGrrrR
05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Great... kill some honeybees because some idiots were probably throwing rocks at them. It's not like honeybees are dying off for some mysterious reason in record numbers or anything. :P

JudynTX
05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
PETA should be coming here any moment now

:lol:lol

timvp
05-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Thousands of bees killed in San Antonio <--- how is that the title of this story?

mrsmaalox
05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Maybe because it's more dramatic than "Men and Dogs Stung by Bees"? LOL

Jekka
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I grew up next door to a family that kept bees, and it was pretty awesome - free honey a few times a year, and the bees never stung us even though there were tons of them around all the time. Granted, these weren't the African hybrid varieties. I'd love to keep bees later in life.