PDA

View Full Version : Trade Target: Chris Kaman

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2945127

Born: Apr 28, 1982
Height: 7-0 / 2,13
Weight: 265 lbs. / 120,2 kg.
College: Central Michigan
Years Pro: 5

With most of the available big men in free agency not being that attractive, the Spurs best bet may be to trade for a big man in order to really improve in the front court department and their drive for five aspirations. Antonio McDyess would improve the Spurs with part of the MLE, but would he really catapult the Spurs into the finals again? I think not. This makes me believe Chris Kaman could be our best bet.
I don't know what kind of terms the Clippers are on financially, but maybe an offer of Oberto+ Bowen+ Hill could get their attention.

xtremesteven33
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I approve :tu

Mel_13
05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
One would think that the Clips will look to move one of Randolph, Kaman, or Camby. Finding a customer for Randolph will be almost impossible. So, Kaman or Camby would seem likely to go. Kaman's contract is in line with his potential and can be managed under the Lux Tax by the Spurs. My only concern is that he has missed almost 80 games over the last two years.

If he gets a clean bill of health, he would look great next to Tim for 30mpg.

Stats link for the OP:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_kaman/career_stats.html

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I have discussed this as well, and there seems to be diametrically opposed arguments for and against.

My thinking is that he makes reasonable money (compared to what the market pays guys with his abilities), he is young and is about as good as you can hope for in 2010 (probably better). If you can get him for the expirings and not have to give up talent, you should.

tp2021
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
He's the black Tim Duncan.

TheSpursFNRule
05-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah I get the feeling if we do land a big man this summer via trade it will be either Kaman or Camby. With the Clippers getting a 1-5 pick in the draft there is no need to hang onto all these big men. Im all for Kaman. But Camby would be better.

Stump
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Kaman would be a fantastic pickup. His salary is around $10 mil, which is high, but will give the Spurs a lot more salary flexibility than Jefferson or Carter. I'm not sure how interested the Clippers are in keeping him, but considering how notorious they are for being cheap, this could be a legitimate opportunity, especially if they land Blake Griffin.

Lars
05-05-2009, 09:13 PM
They would trade Kaman and Davis for Parker/filler guaranteed.

urunobili
05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Pop loves this guy he'd work smoothly on our system

Russ
05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
They would trade Kaman and Davis for Parker/filler guaranteed.

They would trade Kaman and Davis for nothing guaranteed (just to dump salary). (And it would still be a lousy trade for the Spurs.)

Danny.Zhu
05-05-2009, 11:18 PM
I think he is perfect for us.

05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
i posted this in another thread:

kaman is the best option. clippers don't want him, that's why they sacrificed expiring contracts in 2010 to acquire randolph. they also will probably let camby's contract expire to ease their cap situation. trading expiring contracts for camby, who is already on an expiring contract doesn't make much sense. they have three centers that are starter quality and kaman's contract runs the longest, into the year that thorton would become a RFA.

i think kaman can still develop. playing on the clippers can kill your motivation. he defends, has decent speed for his position, blocks quite a few shots, and can score. the only downside would be killing the 2010 plan and potentially burdening the spurs' cap situation for years to come. however, if kaman can stay healthy, spurs will never have to look for a supporting bigman for duncan ever again.

Manufan909
05-06-2009, 03:20 AM

kaman is the best option. clippers don't want him, that's why they sacrificed expiring contracts in 2010 to acquire randolph. they also will probably let camby's contract expire to ease their cap situation. trading expiring contracts for camby, who is already on an expiring contract doesn't make much sense. they have three centers that are starter quality and kaman's contract runs the longest, into the year that thorton would become a RFA.

i think kaman can still develop. playing on the clippers can kill your motivation. he defends, has decent speed for his position, blocks quite a few shots, and can score. the only downside would be killing the 2010 plan and potentially burdening the spurs' cap situation for years to come. however, if kaman can stay healthy, spurs will never have to look for a supporting bigman for duncan ever again.
+1 to this and the black Timmay post

tp2021
05-06-2009, 03:36 AM
By the way, I don't think we're allowed to use watermarked pictures.

05-06-2009, 04:34 AM
the more i think about this, the more i think it makes sense for both teams. kaman will make $10.5 million next year. spurs could send bowen, oberto, and bonner for kaman for a total of also $10.5 million. by waiving bowen and oberto, the clippers instantly save $4 million. this would not screw up the spurs' cap situation for next year because they will be getting a equal contract back. the spurs also won't have to put in mason or hill as trade bait because the clippers are more inclined to get rid of kaman and make room for deandre jordan.

spurs would do this because they will have a logjam at the center position next year and they will get to dump bonner. duncan, thomas, bonner, oberto, mahinmi, and hopefully gist will all be on the roster next year. that would be 6 players capable of playing the PF/C position. getting rid of bonner and oberto and getting kaman would put the spurs at 5 bigmen. bonner and oberto are dead weight and KT would remain to provide a nice veteran presence. kaman would automatically become the best bigman to play next to tim duncan not named david robinson. kaman's shotblocking combined with duncan's shotblocking would once again shut down the paint against opposing teams. kaman also has good mobility. did i mention that they get to dump bonner? and like what another poster said, acquiring kaman would not screw up the cap situation as much as VC or RJ, also allowing the spurs to keep hill and mason.

clippers would do this obviously to save money and they can find some use for bonner since they don't play defense. they would instantly save $4 million and get rid of kaman's long term contract. bonner's 3pt shooting would allow room for randolph or jordan to do their thing. the best thing is, the clippers won't have to worry about bonner choking in the playoffs. no more kaman would also mean more playing time for deandre jordan.

kaman would be enough to put the spurs over the top provided they sign a defensive wing to replace bowen. bowen could resign with the spurs after getting waived too. the defense would be solidified once again and kaman would provide interior scoring when duncan is on the bench. he gets to the free throw line, has an improving jumper, and can rebound. tell me this lineup doesn't look good:

Kaman
Duncan
Bowen
Ginobili
Parker

Bench:
Mahinmi
Thomas/Gist
newly acquired wing (hairston/williams/draft/FA)/ Gist?
Mason
Hill

perfect balance of youth and veterans. acquiring kaman would solve the backup PG problem as well.

gmkzXWvUkEg

Yuushi12
05-06-2009, 04:44 AM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2945127

Born: Apr 28, 1982
Height: 7-0 / 2,13
Weight: 265 lbs. / 120,2 kg.
College: Central Michigan
Years Pro: 5

With most of the available big men in free agency not being that attractive, the Spurs best bet may be to trade for a big man in order to really improve in the front court department and their drive for five aspirations. Antonio McDyess would improve the Spurs with part of the MLE, but would he really catapult the Spurs into the finals again? I think not. This makes me believe Chris Kaman could be our best bet.
I don't know what kind of terms the Clippers are on financially, but maybe an offer of Oberto+ Bowen+ Hill could get their attention.

+1 get him= :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

Bruno
05-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I don't think Clippers will try to salary dump Kaman. The logical move for them would be to keep a Randolph/Kaman frontcourt and to either let expire Camby or trade him for expiring contracts and a pick/prospect.

Something that could make more sense than a Kaman salary dump, is something like a three team trade with Bucks. Clippers get Richard Jefferson, Spurs get Kaman and Bucks get cap relief.

Russ
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Kaman is not held in high regard by Mike Dunleavy who basically runs the Clipper show (for now).

Kaman was caught on tape saying that he didn't understand why Clipper fans actually paid money to see a team that bad play. Dunleavy was livid and called Kaman a "loose cannon." Then Dunleavy essentially blamed Kaman for blowing a home win against Cleveland (as I recall) by his critical mistakes and mental errors down the stretch.

I think the Clips would love to dump his salary.

I also have to believe that the Spurs would want nothing to do with a player as unreliable as Kaman at his salary.

Bruno
05-06-2009, 04:22 PM
^ I didn't know the story between Kaman and Dunleavy. It quite increases his odds of being traded.

I guess it will also depend on who Clippers will draft with their first round pick. We should have a first idea on who they will draft after the lottery in 2 weeks.

timvp
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Kaman is a tough call but I probably take the risk. He's missed a lot of games recently but how many of those games were due to just going on early vacation with a bad team? Players all of a sudden stay healthy when they are in a competitive environment.

He's a little bit loony and his ADD has made him at times one of the game's worst help defenders ... but when he's on his meds and playing at his best, he very well may be a top five center in the game.

Kaman and Duncan would make a pretty damn immobile pairing but I'm willing to live with that. However, as much flame as I'll get for saying it, I'd want to keep Bonner if that is going to be the starting lineup. Bonner could be useful to spread the floor and his mobility defensive would also come in handy during certain matchups. Thomas would be the one who is much more expendable.

He's not a perfect fit but if the Clippers want to salary dump him and the Spurs can get him just for expiring contracts, I'll willing to take that risk. Rebounder, shot blocker, low post game and still has a chance to improve.

05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
i thought kaman never had ADD.

aysgCoAfBr8

but he is the caveman after all.

EricB
05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
He's a little bit loony and his ADD has made him at times one of the game's worst help defenders

Does he seriously have ADD?

DPG21920
05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Kaman is a tough call but I probably take the risk. He's missed a lot of games recently but how many of those games were due to just going on early vacation with a bad team? Players all of a sudden stay healthy when they are in a competitive environment.

He's a little bit loony and his ADD has made him at times one of the game's worst help defenders ... but when he's on his meds and playing at his best, he very well may be a top five center in the game.

Kaman and Duncan would make a pretty damn immobile pairing but I'm willing to live with that. However, as much flame as I'll get for saying it, I'd want to keep Bonner if that is going to be the starting lineup. Bonner could be useful to spread the floor and his mobility defensive would also come in handy during certain matchups. Thomas would be the one who is much more expendable.

He's not a perfect fit but if the Clippers want to salary dump him and the Spurs can get him just for expiring contracts, I'll willing to take that risk. Rebounder, shot blocker, low post game and still has a chance to improve.

MB: What do you think of the Spurs targeting Kaman instead? If the Clips are looking to dump someone, Kaman would be the most likely logically with his contract.

11-12 Million for a legit starting center is not that much in my book, especially when they can shoot inside and out along with rebound. Dampier, Kaman, Dalembert, Okafor, Brad Miller, Sheed and many others make about the same as Troy and he rebounds and has more range than all of them.

It is really not that bad when you look at what the market is paying similar talent.

Timvp sums it up nicely. Really not a huge risk and I still do not know why people bring up his salary. As I outlined, he is paid competitively with other guys in the league that have the same skill set.

The Spurs could hope to get no one better in 2010, so if they could do it now, why not?

timvp
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Timvp sums it up nicely. Really not a huge risk and I still do not know why people bring up his salary. As I outlined, he is paid competitively with other guys in the league that have the same skill set.

It's definitely a risk. If he can't stay healthy, he won't be able to be salary dumped again without giving up assets. If the Spurs go with him and he bombs, the Spurs' wouldn't have very much maneuverability.

DPG21920
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
It's definitely a risk. If he can't stay healthy, he won't be able to be salary dumped again without giving up assets. If the Spurs go with him and he bombs, the Spurs' wouldn't have very much maneuverability.

Injury wise he is a risk, but I agree it is more "I hate my life in LA" and not legit injuries.

Basketball wise he is no more risk than the next guy if the Spurs are going to take on salary. Based on his game he is about as good as you could hope for with regards to Age/Offense/Defense/Experience...

His contract aligns with Duncan's, so worst case scenario the spurs are stuck with him and if they cannot make a move, they have extra cap space when Duncan retires and Kaman expires.

Russ
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
In Dunleavy's defense, Kaman made some pretty bad plays down the stretch of that Cleveland game. He almost singlehandledy blew about a ten point lead with a couple minutes left. Like trying to pass through a crowded lane, right to the other team ala the famous Swen Nater pass in the 70's.

Frankly, Kaman has regressed over the years and he was never that great to start with. People on this board use the term low basketball IQ when describing a big man's failure to make the rotation, driving Pop crazy. Kaman's low BBIQ is off the charts. And his constantly gaping mouth makes Hedo Turkoglu look like the picture of decorum.

His injuries? Maybe just "Clipperitis?" Sure, but there are more problems there than even being a Clipper can explain.

I'd have to pass on him if I'm the Spurs

DPG21920
05-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Highlight Mix:

WfzSEJKDnLc

montgod
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
In Dunleavy's defense, Kaman made some pretty bad plays down the stretch of that Cleveland game. He almost singlehandledy blew about a ten point lead with a couple minutes left. Like trying to pass through a crowded lane, right to the other team ala the famous Swen Nater pass in the 70's.

Frankly, Kaman has regressed over the years and he was never that great to start with. People on this board use the term low basketball IQ when describing a big man's failure to make the rotation, driving Pop crazy. Kaman's low BBIQ is off the charts. And his constantly gaping mouth makes Hedo Turkoglu look like the picture of decorum.

His injuries? Maybe just "Clipperitis?" Sure, but there are more problems there than even being a Clipper can explain.

I'd have to pass on him if I'm the Spurs

Well, if all this is true, then I would hope the Spurs wouldn't be interested either. I doubt they are with his current contract anyways. That's a lot of money to dish out for someone you aren't totally confident in. Then again... the Spurs did sign Rasho long term at one time.

quentin_compson
05-08-2009, 07:14 AM
If the Clippers are really looking to dump salary, then something like this could work:

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.

Due to L.A. Clippers and San Antonio being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Clippers and San Antonio had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Trade ID #5067989 (http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5067989)

Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade (http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/1/) or visit our Trade Forum (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=2).

L.A. Clippers Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -0.7 ppg, +0.3 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

Incoming Players http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Bonner_Matt_san.jpg Matt Bonner
6-8 PF from Florida
8.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 23.8 minutes http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Oberto_Fabricio_san.jpg Fabricio Oberto
6-10 PF / C from Argentina (Foreign)
2.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 12.3 minutes http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Bowen_Bruce_san.jpg Bruce Bowen
6-7 SF from Cal State Fullerton
2.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 18.8 minutes Outgoing Players http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Collins_Mardy_lac.jpg Mardy Collins
6-6 SG from Temple
2.2 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 8.3 minutes http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Kaman_Chris_lac.jpg Chris Kaman
7-0 C from Central Michigan
12.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 29.7 minutes

San Antonio Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +0.7 ppg, -0.3 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

Incoming Players http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Collins_Mardy_lac.jpg Mardy Collins
6-6 SG from Temple
2.2 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 8.3 minutes http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Kaman_Chris_lac.jpg Chris Kaman
7-0 C from Central Michigan
12.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 29.7 minutes Outgoing Players http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Bonner_Matt_san.jpg Matt Bonner
6-8 PF from Florida
8.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 23.8 minutes http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Oberto_Fabricio_san.jpg Fabricio Oberto
6-10 PF / C from Argentina (Foreign)
2.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 12.3 minutes http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Bowen_Bruce_san.jpg Bruce Bowen
6-7 SF from Cal State Fullerton
2.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.5

But it would definitely be a risk since Kaman appears to be injury-prone and has three years left on a contract that gets him between 10 and 12 mio. $ per year.

Bruno
05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
^ Well, as timvp said earlier in this thread, keeping Bonner and trading Thomas is the most logical choice is you do a trade for Kaman.

If the plan is to do another trade to get a SF, you trade Kaman for Thomas + Bowen or Oberto.
If the plan is to use the MLE to get a SF, you trade Kaman for Thomas + Bowen + Oberto.

If this trades aren't enough, Spurs can add some cash and/or future pick(s).

King
05-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Does he seriously have ADD?

Yeah - there was an article in ESPN mag about it a couple years back.

quentin_compson
05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Well, I agree that it would make sense to keep Bonner if we're trading for Kaman.

But Thomas + Bowen/Oberto doesn't work salary-wise. So, as you said, Bruno, we would have to add a draft pick.

kobyz
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
the Clippers have better offers for Kaman than what we can offer.

Bruno
05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
But Thomas + Bowen/Oberto doesn't work salary-wise.

No, it works salary-wise.
Kaman for Thomas + bowen or Thomas + Oberto or Thomas + Oberto + Bowen all works salary wise. You can check that with espn trade machine.

Stump
05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Kaman for Thomas + bowen or Thomas + Oberto or Thomas + Oberto + Bowen all works salary wise. You can check that with espn trade machine.
I think ESPN trade machine is still using 08-09 numbers rather than 09-10.

Using hoopshype, I found Thomas+Bowen to equal $7,800,000. 125% of that is $9,750,000, yet Kaman's salary will be $10,400,000 next year.

Bruno
05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I think ESPN trade machine is still using 08-09 numbers rather than 09-10.

Using hoopshype, I found Thomas+Bowen to equal $7,800,000. 125% of that is $9,750,000, yet Kaman's salary will be $10,400,000 next year.

IF you trade him before July 1st, numbers that matters are the 08-09 ones.

Bruno
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
BTW, something that hasn't been said is that Kaman has a big trade kicker ($4M) attached to his contract.

MaNu4Tres
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
BTW, something that hasn't been said is that Kaman has a big trade kicker ($4M) attached to his contract.

How does that necessarily work?

Bruno
05-08-2009, 10:52 AM
How does that necessarily work?

If Kaman is traded to SA, Spurs will have to give him $4M within 30 days after the trade.

MaNu4Tres
05-08-2009, 10:56 AM
If Kaman is traded to SA, Spurs will have to give him $4M within 30 days after the trade.

Therefore this trade impossible.

Bruno
05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Therefore this trade impossible.

Yes, Kaman won't cost $33.9 for 3 years but $37.9M for 3 years.

There is also a CBA rule saying that a player can agree to waive a part of his trade kicker if it is the only way to make the trade works salary-wise (trade kicker counts during trades when you had to match salaries).

Kaman trade kicker will increase his yearly salary by $1M is if his trade before July 1st and by $1.33M if he is traded after July 1st.
If Spurs trade Thomas+Oberto for Kaman, the max they can take back in salaries is $9.85M. Kaman salary is $9.5M. He can agreed to reduce his trade kicker to $1.4M ($350K*4) to make the trade work.

quentin_compson
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Sorry, you're right. I made a mistake earlier with the realgm trade-checker. :oops

And thanks for the info on the trade kicker. That is really nasty.

MaNu4Tres
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM

There is also a CBA rule saying that a player can agree to waive a part of his trade kicker if it is the only way to make the trade works salary-wise (trade kicker counts during trades when you had to match salaries).

Kaman trade kicker will increase his yearly salary by $1M is if his trade before July 1st and by $1.33M if he is traded after July 1st.
If Spurs trade Thomas+Oberto for Kaman, the max they can take back in salaries is $9.85M. Kaman salary is $9.5M. He can agreed to reduce his trade kicker to $1.4M ($350K*4) to make the trade work.

Thanks for the in depth analysis once again Bruno.

lurker23
05-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info. :tu

Does Marcus Williams have any kind of non-guaranteed contract for 2009-10 that can be used if a few thousand dollars is needed in a trade?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
i thought kaman never had ADD.

aysgCoAfBr8

but he is the caveman after all.

:wow Wow, he misdiagnosed! ....and was taking ritalin since age three?? When he didn't need to???

I'd be pissed!

Anyway, I think Kaman seems like a cool dude. I liked his answer when he got violated by Reggie Evans... "He grabbed my nuts... "
QFcinlrgojk

Seems like a laid back guy.
He'd probably fit in with the Timmy easily. I think I remember reading somewhere that they get along whenever the Spurs play the Clippers.

Bruno
05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Does Marcus Williams have any kind of non-guaranteed contract for 2009-10 that can be used if a few thousand dollars is needed in a trade?

Marcus Williams is under contract with Spurs for 09-10. I don't know the specifics on how is contract is guaranteed. However, the most likely case is that is contract is almost fully or even fully non-guaranteed until the end of the summer league.

Marcus Williams can't also be traded in a draft day trade. He has signed a contract with Spurs on April 8th . As the result, he can be traded only after July 8th.

mattyc
05-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm a big Kaman fan and I think he could really thrive on a good team. He's been with the Clippers for a few years now with only a brief stint in the playoffs and it appears (from the outside) that he's ready to move.

I'm not entirely sure that it would be Pop's favoured move, but it's an interesting proposition.

05-08-2009, 11:26 PM
if i remember correctly, there was a report on a failed attempt by the clippers to salary dump kaman. the trade rumor was kidd's expiring contract for kaman + davis. there's a pretty good chance clippers are still looking for a buyer.

for those who want to trade thomas over bonner, i still think the spurs should keep thomas as insurance. getting rid of bonner would lose his 3 pt shooting but what good does that do if he regresses to 2007-08 bonner or 2009 playoffs bonner? a solid veteran big on the bench is better, especially as the spurs are in the process of infusing youth. kaman, pre-injury, was a deceptively quick player for a guy his size. also, hopefully at least one of the spurs' young bigs will make the team. mahinmi and gist would provide mobility.

lurker23
05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Bump.

Does the fact that the Clippers won the draft lottery make a trade of Kaman or Randolph significantly more imminent?

Bruno
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
If I were Clippers GM, I would keep Kaman to pair him with Griffin.
Trading Randolph would be my priority and if I can't trade him, I would trade Camby and keep Randolph for the two years remaining on his contract.

Saying that, it's just my opinion.

timvp
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, Randolph is the player who should be traded. He wouldn't fit next to Griffin at all. Keeping Kaman and Camby could be a good way to ease Griffin into the NBA. That would allow him to concentrate mostly on offense.

Spursfan092120
05-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Would Randolph be a good addition to the Spurs? Hmm...

meestahmeestah
05-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I think Kaman and Randolph are the ones the Clips would love to trade. I really don't think they'll be able to trade Randolph, unless they can somehow convince Florida International's new coach that Z-Bo still has NCAA eligibility left.

The only way Camby gets traded in the last year of a cheap/manageable contract is if the Clips decide they want long-term dollars instead of cap relief next off-season. That...just doesn't sound like the Clippers to me.

So, if you think Kaman =/> the "2010 plan" you try and get it, shipping out whatever expiring contracts add up and rolling with the big 3, the ghost of Michael Finley, George Hill, Roger Mason and roster filler.

lurker23
05-21-2009, 01:45 AM
I agree that they would much rather trade Randolph and keep Kaman. However, I also agree that it will be very hard, if not impossible, to get someone to take Randolph's contract. As has also been mentioned, keeping Camby's contract would be a better course of action than trading it if you're simply trying to save money. If you're working on the assumption that Donald Sterling is a cheapskate and wants to shed salary (and let's be honest, that's a fair assumption to make), then Kaman seems to be the best combination of savings and tradeability.

05-21-2009, 03:57 AM
it's less likely that the clippers will trade kaman now. spurs definitely don't want randolph. black hole in offense and plays no defense. camby may be pried away for just expiring contracts but i rather roll the dice on mahinmi, cut bowen and oberto for cap space, then use the full MLE to pursue a FA (wing or center). then sign and draft as many wings as possible with the leftover money and hope one of them can play solid defense without a completely unworkable offense.

spurs will only have two viable wing players next year in mason and ginobili. everyone will be holding their breath during ginobili's season so the spurs will need at least 3 more wing players coming in. kaman would have been too good to pass up but now it seems the clips will keep him as long as they can jettison camby or randolph.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-21-2009, 05:00 AM
it's less likely that the clippers will trade kaman now. spurs definitely don't want randolph. black hole in offense and plays no defense. camby may be pried away for just expiring contracts but i rather roll the dice on mahinmi, cut bowen and oberto for cap space, then use the full MLE to pursue a FA (wing or center). then sign and draft as many wings as possible with the leftover money and hope one of them can play solid defense without a completely unworkable offense.

spurs will only have two viable wing players next year in mason and ginobili. everyone will be holding their breath during ginobili's season so the spurs will need at least 3 more wing players coming in. kaman would have been too good to pass up but now it seems the clips will keep him as long as they can jettison camby or randolph.

Why would the Clippers trade Camby ( an expiring contract ) for just expiring contracts? They'll be looking to trade Randolph and Kaman, not Camby, unless some team offers them a deal they can't refuse, which could be a talented player or partially guaranteed contracts, such as Stackhouse's if the Clips decide to just minimize payroll. Our best offer could be including Bowen's and Oberto's, but there are team that can offer much more than us, so I doubt they'd be in a hurry to deal with us.

Besides they simply don't trade with the Spurs lol

05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Why would the Clippers trade Camby ( an expiring contract ) for just expiring contracts? They'll be looking to trade Randolph and Kaman, not Camby, unless some team offers them a deal they can't refuse, which could be a talented player or partially guaranteed contracts, such as Stackhouse's if the Clips decide to just minimize payroll. Our best offer could be including Bowen's and Oberto's, but there are team that can offer much more than us, so I doubt they'd be in a hurry to deal with us.

Besides they simply don't trade with the Spurs lol

if they want stackhouse's partially guaranteed contract, they would want bowen and oberto's partially guaranteed contracts as well. it's even better since it would instantly save them around $4 million and clear up some cap space. clips will want to keep kaman because once camby's contract is up, they will have no center than plays defense other than kaman. they will trade randolph first if they can but might settle for letting camby go for money and more playing time for griffin and jordan.

HarlemHeat37
05-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Kaman is probably a top 5 overrated player in the NBA, I've been saying this for a while now..

objective
05-21-2009, 04:09 PM
I sincerely hope the Spurs don't trade for Kaman. It would be the kiss of death for a franchise already on life support.

Knoxxx
05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Camby fits if you look at his numbers and playing style. I'd be happy with him, and perhaps then we can renew him for MLE money for a few years?

DPG21920
05-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I sincerely hope the Spurs don't trade for Kaman. It would be the kiss of death for a franchise already on life support.

Who is better, Bonner or Kaman?

montgod
05-21-2009, 11:22 PM

I am very skeptical about Kaman with his contract, but after looking back at what his contract includes, he won't be traded ever. Check this out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2641609

"And it also includes a "trade kicker" that would give the center a 15 percent raise -- a maximum value of $7.5 million -- if he were dealt to another team. For Kaman, that's insurance he'll be staying in L.A., or at worst, compensated nicely if he's ever dealt."

Kaman is definitely not worth that much.

freemeat
02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm wondering what other users think of Kaman as a trade option now. What do you think the Lakers would want? What would you be willing to give to get him? And what kinda contracts would you take back to make it happen?

They have a lot of contracts coming off the books this summer, so it's probably not a big deal to move him as much as Gasol or even Nash at this point. But Kaman is a free agent at the end of the season and they might be willing to take back draft picks and younger assets.

I'd part with any combination of Baynes, Ayres, DeColo, Joseph, and maybe Bonner with a first-rounder to "rent" Kaman for the remainder of the season (and hopefully re-sign this summer).

Thoughts?

benefactor
02-13-2014, 02:14 PM
A first rounder?...:lmao

No to Kaman...not even for straight expirings. The Spurs do not need a plodding big man on the wrong side of 30, they need a backup SF or a SF/small ball PF type player.

Baam
02-13-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm wondering what other users think of Kaman as a trade option now. What do you think the Lakers would want? What would you be willing to give to get him? And what kinda contracts would you take back to make it happen?

They have a lot of contracts coming off the books this summer, so it's probably not a big deal to move him as much as Gasol or even Nash at this point. But Kaman is a free agent at the end of the season and they might be willing to take back draft picks and younger assets.

I'd part with any combination of Baynes, Ayres, DeColo, Joseph, and maybe Bonner with a first-rounder to "rent" Kaman for the remainder of the season (and hopefully re-sign this summer).

Thoughts?

I'm with you, would probably not send our first but anything else, including the stashed scrubs.

Tiago is a non factor once the other teams goes small as we saw vs MIA, he can't score on smaller guys thus he's quickly turned into a cheerleader... Kaman may be a tosb but he can at least do that much...

freemeat
02-13-2014, 06:47 PM
You wouldn't trade our first rounder? It's not like we're going into the lottery here. I'm thinking of something like this as more of a win-now. Wouldn't you put everything on the table for one more ring, even if it meant sacrificing a year or two during re-build mode?

Mel_13
02-13-2014, 07:08 PM
You wouldn't trade our first rounder? It's not like we're going into the lottery here. I'm thinking of something like this as more of a win-now. Wouldn't you put everything on the table for one more ring, even if it meant sacrificing a year or two during re-build mode?

Sure, you trade the pick for a player that appreciably moves the needle on the team's chances for a ring. Adding Kaman doesn't do that, IMO.

DPG21920
02-13-2014, 07:22 PM
At this point in his career, this would be the equivalent of the Drew Gooden signing.

Mel_13
02-13-2014, 08:07 PM
At this point in his career, this would be the equivalent of the Drew Gooden signing.

:lol

The actual Drew Gooden is waiting on a phone call and will only cost the pro-rated portion of the vet min.

DPG21920
02-13-2014, 08:48 PM

The actual Drew Gooden is waiting on a phone call and will only cost the pro-rated portion of the vet min.

:lol Very true. Stats on stats.

Rogue
02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Kaman? seriously, dude's flat out trash imho. Matt Bonner minus 3pt shooting...

Mel_13
02-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Washington called:

NBA free agent forward Drew Gooden will be in Washington, D.C., tomorrow to sign a 10-day contract with Wizards, a source told Yahoo Sports.

Spursfanfromafar
02-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Washington called:

NBA free agent forward Drew Gooden will be in Washington, D.C., tomorrow to sign a 10-day contract with Wizards, a source told Yahoo Sports.

10 day contract to land his 10th team in the NBA. Too Good to be Gooden ;)