PDA

View Full Version : What instruments do you play (or have you played)?

Solid D
03-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Excellent/Good: None except for that organ in the store that plays the music for you while you sit there making you look good from a distance. :)

Pretty good: Bass Guitar

Not very good: Guitar, Piano, Harmonica

Tried: Lots of them, including Trumpet, flute, drums, xylophone, saxophone.

How about you?

For instance, I picture Herbivor Female as a moody guitar player...ya know, sort of an edgy minstrel. :hat

SpursWoman
03-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Excellent/Good: French Horn. :)

Not very good: Piano/Keyboards....I'd really like to take lessons, though.

travis2
03-24-2005, 12:13 PM
At one time I played the piano quite well...I took 8 years of lessons growing up. Burned out too.

Taught myself guitar...pretty decent as a rhythm player, not worth a crap as lead. Most experienced playing in church choirs. :lol

ChumpDumper
03-24-2005, 12:18 PM
bass: pretty good

Nothing else besides a few chords on guitar. I've become a pretty fair singer the past couple of years, though.

Brodels
03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Trombone, slide and valve.

Some other brass instruments...

tlongII
03-24-2005, 12:38 PM
I played trombone for many, many years although I haven't picked it up in quite some time. I was All State in high school so I guess I was pretty good.

MannyIsGod
03-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Good(I have a problem saying excellent) - Trombone, Baritone, Trumpet, and Guitar. I was a busy child, but I love playing music.

I can also carry a tune and I'm now messing around with a harmonica (key of C) that Jess got me for Christmas. It doesn't seem like a hard instrument to play in order to get down some melody lines for solo guitar performences, I dig it.

Even though I've played guitar for years now, I can still improve on some aspects. I bought a slide long ago determined to learn how to play with it, and I have yet to do so.

I can carry a decent tune, but I don't have an exceptional voice by any means. Hopefully, once there's a piano around, I can train it much better.

I should be learning Piano in a couple of months. That is something I am eagerly looking forward too. My learning curve on picking things up is usually very steep, so hopefully it won't be long before i'm playing well.

Shelly
03-24-2005, 12:51 PM
I think I can play the kazoo.

Jekka
03-24-2005, 01:03 PM
I have nine years of piano lessons, but small carnie hands and a brain that doesn't like to communicate between the halves very frequently has prevented me from playing as well as I could. I play more now than I ever did while I was taking lessons, though - and I'm working on saving up for a digital piano in the next couple months, which is when Manuel plans on learning.

I also started out on the xylophone.

johnny00
03-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Played Trombone in HS band, during college and afterwards taught myself Bass guitar (Kramer Flying V Style) and joined a heavy metal band. It's been about 10-12 years since I've picked it up

Brodels
03-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I had to take piano lessons in college. I was certainly an underachiever. I just couldn't get my hands to work together.

I learned my 2-5-1s so I could comp in a very elementary way, but I couldn't grasp much else.

Duff McCartney
03-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Guitar bass and piano.

iminlakerland
03-24-2005, 03:13 PM
was good at playing violin and viola...still remember songs when i pick my violin up im not nearly as good as i used to be.

tlongII
03-24-2005, 03:25 PM
JimCS plays the skin flute.

Shelly
03-24-2005, 03:36 PM

:rollin

gay abc
03-24-2005, 04:06 PM

:lol

oh really - do tell jim

i've played with lots of organs but never any instruments

:eyebrows

Samurai Jane
03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Good: Any of the clarinet family, main instrument is Bflat Clarinet (I play this for the church orchestra)

So-so: Saxophone (tenor & alto) (I still need to refer to fingering charts... :spin)

I was in a couple of choirs too, but I wouldn't say I have a fantastic voice or anything...

I tried to teach myself guitar but that didn't last long.. I guess I lost interest too quickly...

Oh and I can play Chopsticks on the piano! :lol

timvp
03-24-2005, 04:31 PM
In second grade I played the recorder with my nose in our class talent show.

True story.

:smokin

Dex
03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm a turntablist, and I dj Epic Trance and UK Hard House.

I'm also dabbling in production of Trance, Trip-Hop, and other forms of Electronica at the moment, using software such as Reason, Sonar, etc...

Dex
03-24-2005, 04:40 PM
In second grade I played the recorder with my nose in our class talent show.

True story.

:smokin

*is impressed* :wow

Hopefully it wasn't one you borrowed.

Trooper 2112
03-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Guitar, bass, piano, drums, (violin, just the basics)
ive been in metal, blues, and jazz bands playing guitar, My pride and joy.Tryin to get another band together

cherylsteele
03-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I took piano lessons for many years and stopped when we moved to SA (1980)...the movers improperly moved the piano and ruin the keys and some of the tuning parts inside, my parents never repaired so I stopped playing.....used to be able to competently play Beethoven....now can't play "Mary Had A Little Lamb".....I can't read music like I used to be able to........my parents say I can sing......IMHO, my cat in heat can hold a tune better.

T Park
03-24-2005, 11:16 PM
getting lessons on an acoustic guitar.

IMO, when played right, the most beautifull sounding instrument ever constructed.

THinking about getting that Garth Brooks edition Takamine, so I dont have to fuck with the damn string pegs.

3rdCoast
03-25-2005, 01:18 AM
7 & 8 grade = First Band, Second Chair - Tuba
9 grade = marching band - started at second chair , then moved to first chair - Tuba

10/11/12 grade i quit band. didnt have time for it. was too involved in sports in high school.

MannyIsGod
03-25-2005, 02:07 AM
WTF are string pegs?

3rdCoast
03-25-2005, 03:21 AM
WTF are string pegs?
yea what the hell....

travis2
03-25-2005, 07:49 AM
He means the bridge pins. Looks like that guitar is strung from below the bridge rather than above.

http://www.takamine.com/pics/models/GB7C.jpg

MannyIsGod
03-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Interesting.

travis2
03-25-2005, 10:52 AM
TPark, don't count your chickens before they hatch concerning your problems with bridge pins. I've had a guitar like that before...and it's just a big a pain in the ass to reach into the soundbox to thread the string through that little hole as it is to deal with bridge pins...maybe even more so.

MannyIsGod
03-25-2005, 10:57 AM
The bridge pins on my Seagull are easy as pie. I don't even use a string winder, I just push up from underneath and they pop right out. I've never had a problem with them.

Cheaper guitars that many people learn on tend to have harder bridge pins, however. My first Washburn was a bitch to change strings on. Any Martin I've owned has been easy however, my Seagull is even easier.

I would never buy a guitar based on bridge pins either way. It's all about sound.

MannyIsGod
03-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Oh, and action. I hate guitars with high action.

travis2
03-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Oh, and action. I hate guitars with high action.

I don't mind hard bridge pins...I always cut the strings anyway when I change them, and using the wire cutter to nudge a stuck pin is no big deal. Especially since, on a 12-string, the pins are set very close and it can be hard to get a grip using my fingers.

High action doesn't bother me much...since I can't play lead well, it's never been a big deal. High tension...now that's a different story. My 12-string could have used a slightly longer neck...even with extra-lights the tension is pretty high and I'm almost positive it's a scale-length issue.

MannyIsGod
03-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Oh, and TPark, never buy a guitar you have never played.

I don't think I'd ever be able to buy a guitar off of ebay, it amazes me people do that.

cqsallie
03-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Isn't it amazing that so many people have responded to this question? Could it be that musically-inclined people are also sports-minded?
For my part, I started out in Junior High on the trombone. Shortly after my parents purchased/rented this instrument, a group of my co-band members got together at my house for what we termed a "jam-session." I believe we were playing some difficult piece, "Twinkle-Twinkle, Little Star," when I stepped back and fell over my baby brother's pull-toy. The trombone was crushed and the next thing I knew, I was playing the French Horn.
Hey! The French Horn is a haunting and beautiful instrument, but I didn't know it at the time. I tell myself that I can still play the French Horn...

pooh0406
03-26-2005, 07:28 AM
hmm.. i'd love to learn how to play the guitar and piano..

usckk
03-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Top in the state in violin :)

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2005, 10:47 AM
I faked a halfway decent french horn so I could be in marching band to get into all the football games for free.

Didn't hurt that it knocked out that pesky PE credit, either...

SpursWoman
03-26-2005, 10:52 AM
I faked a halfway decent french horn so I could be in marching band to get into all the football games for free.

Didn't hurt that it knocked out that pesky PE credit, either...

No shit. :lol :lol

And the trips to Florida & California...and Arlington. :smokin

samikeyp
03-26-2005, 10:57 AM
played the saxophone a long long time ago.

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2005, 11:03 AM
And the trips to Florida & California...and Arlington. :smokin

I missed Florida thanks to Mark White and Trigonometry/Analytical Geometry. Fuckin' no pass, no play rule...

We didn't get Cali or Arlington. They only let us go to Shithole, TX ERRRRRRR Houston before you got there.

JoeChalupa
03-26-2005, 11:19 AM
I took up guitar way back when but never really got very good.
I've got a Yamaha Acoustic but sold my Fender Strat quite a few years ago.

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Yamaha makes some awesome acoustics in the Compass series. When Mars when out of business, they were selling one for less than half of what it would normal go for, and I wasn't able to get it. I was very sad.

Fat Bones
03-27-2005, 10:53 AM
We got us one potentially bad assed horn section working here...

I played sax for years, but haven't picked it up seriously for a lonnnnnnng time.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I haven't picked up a baritone in a long time, or a trombone. I prefer the valve's to the slide though.

I still have a trumpet, and I've thought of picking it up to learn some Jazz stuff, but my embrochure is so fucking gone I'd have to practice forever to get it back.

Not everday you get to say embrochure.

SpursWoman
03-27-2005, 11:47 AM
but my embrochure is so fucking gone I'd have to practice forever to get it back.

I've managed to keep mine up fairly well...although you can never get enough practice in. :)

MannyIsGod
03-27-2005, 11:50 AM

I've managed to keep mine up fairly well...although you can never get enough practice in. :)

:lmao

Well, I guess there are excercises that help.

Chris: "Wanna work on your embrochure?"
:eyebrows

Brodels
03-27-2005, 02:39 PM

In fact, I've never heard anyone say it.

I have heard people say embouchure though. :)