PDA

View Full Version : Has Adelman figured KFC out ?

lefty
05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Adelman is clearly one of the few coaches who is not impressed with Jackson.

Let's look at their 2 latest playoff matchups:

2002 WCF: Lakers 4 - Kings 3; Kings should have won, they were robbed; we all know that.

2009 playoffs: so far, so good

The thung is that Adelman has that demeanor, he won't make a panic move when playing KFC; he beileves in his game plan and sticks with it.

Mucho respect.

florige
05-06-2009, 08:41 AM
It's only one game, but if LA loses tonight they are screwed. I'm just impressed that he has Houston playing this well without McGrady.

lefty
05-06-2009, 08:45 AM
It's only one game, but if LA loses tonight they are screwed. I'm just impressed that he has Houston playing this well without McGrady.

No surprise here :D

JamStone
05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
No, I'm pretty confident it's just that Pau Gasol is a pussy.

Imposter Cleaner
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
No, I'm pretty confident it's just that Pau Gasol is a pussy.
Is it the reason you love him so much?

JamStone
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes, I'm a big fan of pussies, especially soft Spanish ones.

Hemotivo
05-06-2009, 09:12 AM
:lmao

tlongII
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Adelman is a good coach. I thought he out-coached McMillan in round 1.

xtremesteven33
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Adelman is a good coach :tu

E20
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Adelman is probably sick of PJ.

Bulls beat Blazers
Lakers beat Kings like 3 times
Now Rockets vs Lakers

He probably has dedicated his whole life to figuring out how PJ's team works and how to beat him.

lefty
05-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Bulls beat Blazers
Now Rockets vs Lakers

He probably has dedicated his whole life to figuring out how PJ's team works and how to beat him.
:lol

RsxPiimp
05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes, I'm a big fan of pussies, especially soft Spanish ones.

So, you like hairy ones...

RsxPiimp
05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
ONly coaches to get the best out of PJ are Larry Brown and Popovich. The rest are his bitches.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
ONly coaches to get the best out of PJ are Larry Brown and Popovich. The rest are his bitches.

OK in both situations they got the best of Kobe being a douche volume chucker, the same can be said of D'antoni getting the best of PJ.

RedsLakers24
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Bad night for the lakers, they went like 2-20 from the 3 pt line, and they were wide open shoots, when the shots fall in kobe will drive more because they will not clog the lane like they did on Monday

robbie380
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Bad night for the lakers, they went like 2-20 from the 3 pt line, and they were wide open shoots, when the shots fall in kobe will drive more because they will not clog the lane like they did on Monday

why won't the lane be clogged?

Indazone
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
that's easy. Lane won't be clogged because of the NBA refs selected for this game.

RedsLakers24
05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
why won't the lane be clogged?

I said if the lakers start hitting their 3's they wont clog the lane retard

lefty
05-06-2009, 12:32 PM

What?

KFC owns Pop

Indazone
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
JVG analysis for the keys to the Rockets winning the series

May 03, 2009

Jeff Van Gundy has the formula for the Rockets success versus the Lakers

I got ahold of Jeff Van Gundy on Sunday afternoon to find out what he felt like the keys were for the Rockets to defeat the Lakers. He's had some run-ins against the Lakers in the past so he gave me a list of things the Rockets need to do and I will pass them along to you.
JVG's Keys to Success for the Rockets (with my two cents as well)
JVG Says: Point Guard Play - The Rockets must win that battle and they can.
Z-Report Says: When Rafer Alston was the starter, it often seemed like when he played well, the Rockets played well. The point guard may have changed, but the results are still the same. When Aaron Brooks plays well on the offensive end (and Lowry to a less extent), everything seems to flow so much easier for the entire team. Brooks is way too quick for Derek Fisher or Shannon Brown so hopefully he'll play with more consistency this series.

JVG Says: Make Threes - When you are an underdog you need to be able to make a high percentage of threes while limiting your opponents from three.
Z-Report Says: This one is pretty standard stuff but worth digging into. In their four wins against the Blazers, the Rockets made 41.4% from three while only shooting 28.5% in their two losses. For the season, the Rockets are making 38% of threes while opponents are shooting 36%. The Lakers are shooting 36% while holding opponents to 34% from three. My guess is that one of the reasons that opponents shooting percentage from three is only 34% against the Lakers is because they get too far behind and have to start taking bad shots. The Rockets probably need to shoot over 40% from three in this series to win.

JVG Says: Keep Kobe Bryant off the free throw line - The Rockets have to be smart with their fouls and keep Bryant from getting to the free throw line too often.
Z-Report Says: The bad news is that Bryant shot free throws at 85.6% this year which was the second best of his career. The good news is that Bryant took fewer free throws per game this season than any season since 1999-2000 with 6.9 attempts per game. In four games against the Rockets this year, Bryant took just 6.3 attempts per game and only made 68% of his free throws. I'm pretty sure he'll shoot them better this series, but the key is keeping him from getting to the line early and often.

JVG Says: Prevent cheap layups.
Z-Report Says: My guess is JVG means it two ways here. Try and keep the Lakers from getting backdoor cuts as well as easy drives to the basket by staying in front of your man or keeping your eyes open for back-cuts. However, I also think that he means the Rockets need to use fouls and make the Lakers earn their points from the free throw line from time to time. NO LAYUPS!!

JVG Says: Compete with poise.
Z-Report Says: This is the biggest area of concern for me personally. When the Rockets lose their poise as a unit, it is usually tied to Brooks and Artest which isn't a surprise since they are the primary ball handlers. While Brooks can be taken off the court and replaced with Lowry, the Rockets have to live and die with Artest's ups and downs. Ron kept his head about him in game 6 against the Blazers and the Rockets stomped. The last time Kobe came to Houston, he and Crazy Ron got into it and Artest flipped out and completely forgot anyone else was on the court but he and Kobe. The Bulls played with no poise in game 7 against the Celtics and you saw the results. The Rockets (and specifically Ron Artest) must play with poise both home and away.

JVG Says: Make Kobe Bryant a passer in the 4th quarter.
Z-Report Says: This key is very underrated and I'm glad JVG came with it. Too many times, teams just sit back and take it when Kobe or Lebron are going off on them rather than being proactive and making them change their games. Seattle, under George Karl, used to take Olajuwon out of games by aggressively double and triple teaming him. In the 4th quarter, when Kobe has the ball at the elbow extended or even the top of the key, the Rockets might want to run an extra defender at him to make him give the ball up. Wouldn't you rather have Ariza, Odom or Fisher beat you rather than Bryant?

The Z-Report Undercover Super-Secret Key to Success
Don't be afraid to run - The Lakers averaged 8.5 more points per game than the Rockets did and some people might think that running with them would be a mistake. It would be. I'm not suggesting the Rockets "run with them". I'm suggesting the Rockets push the ball in transition and in early offense to try and get some easy looks at the basket. Kobe Bryant can get himself or his teammates good looks at the basket consistently in the half-court sets while the Rockets don't have that type of playmaker off the dribble. Instead, the Rockets should run their halfcourt offense, but look to get as many easy baskets as possible even if it means playing slightly up-tempo.

Indazone
05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Aaron Brooks holds the keys to the Rockets. If Brooks does well so do the Rockets.

lefty
05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
JVG Says: Make Kobe Bryant a passer in the 4th quarter.
Z-Report Says: This key is very underrated and I'm glad JVG came with it. Too many times, teams just sit back and take it when Kobe or Lebron are going off on them rather than being proactive and making them change their games. Seattle, under George Karl, used to take Olajuwon out of games by aggressively double and triple teaming him. In the 4th quarter, when Kobe has the ball at the elbow extended or even the top of the key, the Rockets might want to run an extra defender at him to make him give the ball up. Wouldn't you rather have Ariza, Odom or Fisher beat you rather than Bryant?

JamStone
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
So, you like hairy ones...

Actually not particularly but when the Spanish pussy is big and doesn't put up a fight when I get aggressive, I can overlook that. I might shave the pussy myself though if it becomes a problem. Ole!

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-06-2009, 02:00 PM
YEs they are figured out....too bad Stern wont get the Lebron Kobe finals this year...........LOL

sook
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
adelman has never beat PJ in a series, ever.

lefty
05-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Should have in 2002, but Stern decided otherwise

Should this year, but refs will decide otherwise

Morg1411
05-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Which in no way means it can't happen this year.

sook
05-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Adelman is dull sometimes. Watching the reg season games adelman was just too stubborn to make adjustments. He gets outcoached everytime with the exception of last game.

sook
05-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Should have in 2002, but Stern decided otherwise

Should this year, but refs will decide otherwise

Yes Yes it was bad but comeon. They choked game 7

lefty
05-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes Yes it was bad but comeon. They choked game 7

Yeah they did choke game 7, butthat game 7 should never happened in the 1st place.

RsxPiimp
05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Actually not particularly but when the Spanish pussy is big and doesn't put up a fight when I get aggressive, I can overlook that. I might shave the pussy myself though if it becomes a problem. Ole!

:lol

DrHouse
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
So Rick Adelman wins one game against PJ and now he has figured him out?

Brilliant logic OP :lmao

Banzai
05-06-2009, 04:46 PM

or 10 years from now.

lefty
05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
So Rick Adelman wins one game against PJ and now he has figured him out?

Brilliant logic OP :lmao

In case you haven't noticed, KFC has Stern to make sure he wins

(2002 and ultimately 2009)

But who am I to blame the refs?

You did that very well after game 1

Halberto
05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
What the fuck is KFC?

Banzai
05-06-2009, 06:43 PM
What the fuck is KFC?

Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Halberto
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
still doesn't make sense

lefty
05-06-2009, 11:02 PM
still doesn't make sense
http://www.sonomapromo.com/KFC/images/Cloisonne_25_Colonel_Sanders_Enamel.gifhttp://wholesomeornothing.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/philjax_brokeback.jpeg

Roxsfan
05-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Love adelman.

TDomination
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.sonomapromo.com/KFC/images/Cloisonne_25_Colonel_Sanders_Enamel.gifhttp://wholesomeornothing.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/philjax_brokeback.jpeg

its just not the same since he lost the beard

Allanon
05-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Hey Lefty, I think you have to rename this thread "Has KFC figured Adelman Out" :)

No but seriously, I'm not laughing at you.

I agree with your original post, Adelman had a great gameplan in Game 1 and even Game 2...outcoached KFC in both those games I think.

But after watching tonight's game, I think KFC has adjusted his gameplan very well (with help from the NBA's suspension of Fisher).

Gasol and Bynum both fronting Yao
Farmar to counter Aaron Brook's speed
Shannon Brown to combat Lowry
Odom taking advantage of Scola
And the Lakers are running like crazy now.

Discuss.

timvp
05-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Phil Jackson is a genius. First he compares Rick Adelman to Hitler. Then he instructs Derek Fisher to get suspended. Then Jackson starts a Jewish player at point guard. Adelman is so enraged that the Rockets meltdown again.

Jackson wins again.

Props :tu

NBA Junkie
05-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Adelman has been getting pwned by the Lakers as far back as 1991.

mouse
05-09-2009, 04:40 AM
To bad KFC couldn't play a team they know how to serve.

The Nuggets!

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/vel12/uploaded_images/705px-Chicken_McNuggets-739055.jpg

mouse
05-09-2009, 04:44 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/RTM-3/kfc.jpg

Kobe_MVP
05-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Bulls beat Blazers
Now Rockets vs Lakers

Give Mike, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe to Adelman and we'll see how of them will coach their team to victory.

What a biggy to coach two of the best players at the same time and come out winning. And the rocket-laker series ain't over yet and Houston has a freaking 20 million gap in their roster and they are still giving Lakers a tough time.

RsxPiimp
05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
kfc>hitler

DrHouse
05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
lovin this thread

lefty
05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Lefty, I think you have to rename this thread "Has KFC figured Adelman Out" :)

No but seriously, I'm not laughing at you.

I agree with your original post, Adelman had a great gameplan in Game 1 and even Game 2...outcoached KFC in both those games I think.

But after watching tonight's game, I think KFC has adjusted his gameplan very well (with help from the NBA's suspension of Fisher).

Gasol and Bynum both fronting Yao
Farmar to counter Aaron Brook's speed
Shannon Brown to combat Lowry
Odom taking advantage of Scola
And the Lakers are running like crazy now.

Discuss.

Great post :tu

At least you're not trolling like DrHouse

I still think Adelman has figured KFC out

BUT, as I expected, his players were overexcited in game 3.

It has nothing to do with Rick :madrun

lefty
05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/3142jya.gif

And ? :lmao

lefty
05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Bump :D

sook
05-10-2009, 05:32 PM
no he hasn't. He didn't make any adjustments, he was forced to change the lineup due to injury. PJ will have a counter by next game

lefty
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
no he hasn't. He didn't make any adjustments, he was forced to change the lineup due to injury. PJ will have a counter by next game
:depressed

Iraklis
05-10-2009, 06:39 PM

you probably didn't watch last season's finals. pj was outcoached by rivers! he didnt help bryant at all to get good looks, zero adjustments to the celtics defense on kobe...plus he never figured out how to use gasol effectively on defense and his control over fisher's decision making left a lot to be desired...it was bad coaching...

lefty
05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
you probably didn't watch last season's finals. Pj was outcoached by rivers! He didnt help bryant at all to get good looks, zero adjustments to the celtics defense on kobe...plus he never figured out how to use gasol effectively on defense and his control over fisher's decision making left a lot to be desired...it was bad coaching...

+1

lefty
05-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Re-bump

lefty
05-14-2009, 11:37 PM
:lmao

kamikazi_player
05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
lol

Allanon
05-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Re-bump

Fuckyou.

:toast

lefty
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Fuckyou.

:toast

:toast:lol

lefty
05-14-2009, 11:44 PM
ttt
yyy

babyfederer
05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
fucken funniest tittle ever

lefty
05-14-2009, 11:48 PM
fucken funniest tittle ever
Thanks

sook
05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
i....

gotta goive rick props. He has gotten the best out of this team.

lefty
05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
i....

Gotta goive rick props. He has gotten the best out of this team.
+244999

Avitus1
05-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Guess we'll see in game 7.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-15-2009, 12:49 AM
If Rockets pull this off Adelman will have had his revenge Kobe, Phil and the ZEBRAS.

The Third Man
05-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Phil has nine rings. He's good.

lefty
05-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Guess we'll see in game 7.

Why?

Even if Lakers win game 7, Rick has already shown he can handle KFC;

Think about it: half of his team is nursing injuries, and he has pushed the favorites to a game 7 (1 win on the road, and 2 easy home wins)

Adelman already won

BUMP
05-15-2009, 09:25 AM
I thought the thread was gonna be sarcastic.

If there is one coach that Jackson has owned and given nightmares to, it's been Rick Adelman.

0-4 vs Phil Jackson

'92 Finals
01' 2nd Round
02' Conference Finals
09' 2nd Round

If not for PJ, Adelman would have 2 maybe even 3 rings by now

lefty
05-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I thought the thread was gonna be sarcastic.

If there is one coach that Jackson has owned and given nightmares to, it's been Rick Adelman.

0-4 vs Phil Jackson

'92 Finals
01' 2nd Round
02' Conference Finals
09' 2nd Round

If not for PJ, Adelman would have 2 maybe even 3 rings by now

To be fair:

1992 : Michael Jordan
2001: Jason Williams and his bonehead plays; despite that, it went to a decisive game 5.

02: Stern Stern Stern; Kings should have won, period

09: He pushed the "mighty" heavily favorite Lakers to a game 7, with half of his team in the hospital

flamingdts
05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Phil has nine rings. He's good.

He also had at least three players on his teams that are at times undoubtly the best players in the league (Shaq, Kobe, Jordan with quality stars such as pippen).

KFC failed to beat half a team with less talent than Suns, Hawks etc. in 5 games. Even getting blown out at one point........

lefty
05-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Has Phil Jackson lost his touch? That's the first of many big questions for the Lakers

Comment (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=4169701) Email (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090515#) Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4169701&type=story) Share (javascript:void(0);)
http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/Hollinger_John_35.jpg (http://search.espn.go.com/john-hollinger/) By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/john-hollinger/)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0515/nba_g_kobe1_576.jpg Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty ImagesThe Lakers seemed destined to top the West again. Now, only questions surround their future.
"And you may ask yourself … well, how did I get here?"
Those are the words of the Talking Heads, but they apply just as easily to the Los Angeles Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lal).
Take away Yao Ming (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1722), and you can make a strong argument that the four best players in the Lakers-Rockets series are Lakers. For crying out loud, Luis Scola (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1781) is playing center for Houston. (Can he even dunk?) Yet without Yao, the Rockets have won two of the last three games and are four quarters away from pulling what would be one of the most shocking playoff upsets in league history.
History says it probably won't happen. Home teams have an overwhelming record in Game 7s, and the fact that L.A. won its last meeting in Staples Center by 40 isn't a great omen.

Daily Gems

Here are John Hollinger's top five NBA observations for Friday. Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiemInsider-090515) http://assets.espn.go.com/i/in.gif

Orlando's D shining against Boston
A lineup suggestion for Stan Van Gundy
Will the Celtics ever go small?
A note to ref Danny Crawford
Basketball in the Pacific Northwest?

But the fact that we're even discussing the possibility is amazing enough. How is it that the Rockets are beating a Lakers team that, on paper, seems to be vastly superior?
Frontcourt injuries make for a convenient excuse. Opponents normally have a hard time matching up against the Lakers' frontcourt, especially opponents that are vertically challenged like the current batch of Rockets. L.A. has 7-footers Pau Gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=996) and Andrew Bynum (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2748) and 6-foot-10 Lamar Odom (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=617), while Houston counters with the 6-9 Scola, 6-9 (wink, wink) Carl Landry (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3217) and 6-6 Chuck Hayes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2834).
But the Lakers didn't have that advantage in Game 6 because only Gasol was healthy. Bynum has struggled the entire playoffs, with the Game 5 rout of Houston his lone positive outing, and is likely to see limited duty on Sunday.
As for Odom, his sore back limited his effectiveness in Game 6, and one column -- the "0" under assists -- underscored this more than any. At full strength, he can take any Houston frontcourt player off the dribble, and he forces Houston to cross-match with Ron Artest (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=25) on Odom and Scola on Trevor Ariza (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2426). Thursday, he was a defensive liability and an offensive nonfactor. "Half a guy," in the words of Phil Jackson.
Of course, it seems a bit rich for the Lakers to be talking about aches and pains on a night when they were ripped to shreds by a fellow who was shot a month and a half ago (Landry), and by a team that was missing both its All-Stars. Regardless of how healthy Bynum and Odom are, L.A. still has the two best players in the series (Bryant and Gasol), and it's not even close.
So injuries aren't the only problem. In fact, I think there's another factor at work here, one that nobody is talking about because of the track record of the man involved. But let's call it for what it is:
The Zen Master is getting royally outcoached.
Actually, that may be an understatement. But we've been giving him a free pass for too long because of his nine championship rings. This isn't a single data point, but rather part of a disturbing recent trend that first reared its head in the bizarre Chris Mihm (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=549) cameo in Game 5 of the NBA Finals last season.
As with last year's Finals, Phil looks weary and tuned out. Maybe that's what happens when you're 64 years old and have coached 93 games on a bad hip. But if you don't think Jackson is taking a savage beating in his battle of wits with Rick Adelman, then help me answer these questions:
Why was Kobe on the bench for five minutes to start the fourth quarter?
Bryant wasn't in foul trouble, but played only 38 minutes Thursday night. The Lakers took him out for a breather to start the fourth quarter, and didn't put him in until 6:58 remained. To that point, L.A. scored six points in seven trips, wasting a golden opportunity to pull closer while the Rockets were also struggling to score. There were dead balls at 9:14, 8:48 and 8:32, but Kobe didn't check back in at any of those moments.
Why are they bothering to cover Chuck Hayes?
They know he can't score, right? Hayes averaged 4.2 points per 40 minutes this season, the lowest rate of any NBA player who played at least 500 minutes. Unless you leave him wide open under the basket, he can't hurt you. But in pick-and-rolls, L.A. continually rotates a man to Hayes and leaves Scola with an open 17-footer. The Lakers know Yao has been replaced, don't they?
Incidentally, the Lakers also passed up several chances to foul Hayes late in the fourth quarter. He's a 57.6 percent career foul shooter with a bizarre, double-clutching release that at times looks as if he's blocking his own shot.
Why is Derek Fisher (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=246) still in the rotation?
For all the great playoff moments he's delivered in his career, Fisher has been such a massive liability against Houston that Rockets fans claim they'd have already won the series if he hadn't been suspended for Game 3.
He's shooting 29.4 percent against Houston and contributed several of the forced early shots that put the Lakers in huge holes in Games 4 and 6. Additionally, he's been little more than a traffic cone on defense against speedy Aaron Brooks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3192). The two men behind him, Jordan Farmar (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3002) and Shannon Brown (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2992), have played reasonably well, so there are alternatives.
For further proof, check out their plus/minus numbers on the series. Fisher is minus-14, Brown is plus-5 and Farmar is plus-48. Even in Game 5, which the Lakers won by 40 points, Fisher was a modest plus-9.
Yet the Lakers continue to trot Fisher out with the starters. At the very least, they should have him matching up against Kyle Lowry (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3012), whose inability to shoot makes it easy to back off him. But a better option might be to use Farmar and Brown the whole game. At this point, Jackson's loyalty to the veteran Fisher looks like a victory of sentimentality over wisdom.
Why is Bryant shooting almost exclusively the shots Houston wants him to take?
So is it really true that Kobe shooting a contested 18-footer off the dribble is the best look L.A. can get for him? Nothing going to the basket against Houston's Lilliputian frontcourt? No 1-4 sets to take away the help? No back-cuts or misdirections? Bueller … Frye … anyone?
While Bryant is shooting a solid 46.3 percent for the series, that's hugely misleading. He has only 10 3-pointers and hasn't been able to get to the free throw line consistently, so his true shooting percentage of 54.0 is something Houston can live with -- especially when relying just on those jumpers has shriveled any chance of Bryant creating good shots for others. He is averaging only 3.5 assists per game on the series.
Why is Jackson insisting his team is playing hard and that everything is fine, when it so obviously isn't the case?
Maybe he's just too busy devising game plans for the Nuggets to notice. Jackson took questions about Denver before Game 6, and in the process poured more gasoline on the inferno of accusations that this team is too arrogant for its own good.
Nonetheless, Jackson seems weirdly unworried about the Lakers' shameful performances in Game 4 and 6. "There's nothing to worry about," he said after Thursday's Game 6. "As long as we have the home-court advantage, we're all right."
Great killer instinct, huh?
Even during his in-game interviews, he has refused to critique his team's effort and pointed to Houston's play instead, something he also did after his team's meltdown in Game 4.
Sum it all up, and it makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes, prodding us to ask deeper questions than the ones above: Does he like this team? Do the players like him? Can he get them to play hard consistently? Does he want to come back next season?
During our writer roundup (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4168506), I pointed to Kobe Bryant as the Laker who had the most to lose in Sunday's Game 7 (3 p.m. ET, ABC). But you can make an equally strong case for Jackson. He's acting and looking like a guy who's a bit bored with this whole thing, and for a coach of his stature to lose when he has such an overwhelming talent advantage would be a shocking turn of events.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=7936).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090515

Indazone
05-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Remember the Alamo - The war cry of all Texans during the Texas Revoluton

Remember the 2002 Sacremento Kings/Lakers Series

Never forget!!

lefty
05-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Remember the Alamo - The war cry of all Texans during the Texas Revoluton

Remember the 2002 Sacremento Kings/Lakers Series

Never forget!!
:bang

Jace
05-17-2009, 12:09 AM
PJ is incredibly overrated, people point to his rings and ignore the fact that there are a dozen coaches who could do what he has done.

lefty
11-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Bump

tlongII
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Adelman's a great coach. He really doesn't get the respect he deserves.

21_Blessings
11-16-2009, 11:24 AM

Larry Brown yeah, but Pop? Haha. PJ owns Pop completely.

lefty
11-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Larry Brown yeah, but Pop? Haha. PJ owns Pop completely.
:depressed

21_Blessings
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, Pop's a great coach. Much better defensive coach than PJ imo. Never seen a player rip Pop for not focusing on D in practice.

noob cake
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Adelman has been studying KFC his whole life.

TheMACHINE
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Adelman has been studying KFC his whole life.

maybe one day, he'll actually win a series.

lefty
11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
maybe one day, he'll actually win a series.
2002*

TheMACHINE
11-16-2009, 01:47 PM
2002*

thats true*

lefty
11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
thats true*
Well played :lol

duhoh
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
YEs they are figured out....too bad Stern wont get the Lebron Kobe finals this year...........LOL

so it'll be kobe vs paul pierce again, right?

if they get passed the zombie spurs :lol