PDA

View Full Version : Which will last longer?

Jimcs50
09-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Which will last longer?

From Way Downtown
09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
I'll go with the Pats, only because they have a bye this week and won't have a chance to lose for another 13 days.

Jimcs50
09-20-2004, 07:45 PM
They also play Buffalo and Miami after that, two winless teams.

SpursWoman
09-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Question before I answer: What are love bugs flying around everywhere?

:wtf

Jimcs50
09-20-2004, 09:06 PM
I guess they are not in SA, but for the past month, they have been here in College Sation and I have never seen this many before, ever. Your whole windsheild is covered with smashed love bugs(little flies that are hooked together), they get all over you when you go outside, they are everywhere.

Here you go:

Love Bugs swarm the Brazos Valley
By Shawn C. Millender
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper657/stills/b506tt0x.jpg

Over the last week, Brazos Valley residents have been forced to share their home with a new invader: The double-headed insect Plecia nearctica, also known as the Love Bug or March Fly, which has settled in the area for mating season.

The term "Love Bug" is a misnomer, said Roger E. Gold of Texas A&M's center for urban and structural entomology. The insects are actually made up of two animals that are classified in the same order, Diptera, as the common housefly.

Each Love Bug unit is made up of a male mating with a larger female. Adult bugs only have an adult stage of a few hours, Gold said.

The young Love Bugs favor wet climates such as roadside ditches where they feed on detritus, or decaying plant matter.

Gold said the swarm is made up of more than one generation of the creatures.

"We happen to be having a banner year for these things," Gold said. "Since it was such a wet summer, it's been absolutely horrendous."

Gold said that although they are a nuisance, the bugs are an integral part of the food chain.

"They're very innocuous," Gold said. "But if you don't scrape them off your truck, they have a chemical in them that will eat through your paint."

Gold said there is not an effective method of controlling the bugs.

According to a study by the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Science, the swarms last around four weeks, so residents can expect to see these tiny menaces well into September.

The study also indicated the flies are attracted to highways by the heat, vibrations and exhaust fumes.

Bus driver and Sam Houston State student Michelle Cardena said there are surprisingly few of them stuck to the buses.

"But as soon as you open the doors, they're everywhere," Cardena said. "They seem to be attracted to the color white for some reason."

Junior health and kinesiology major Jessica Gourley recently returned from Dallas, where she was on retreat with the Aggie Wranglers.

"I saw maybe three of them while I was in Dallas," Gourley said. "But once we got into Brazos County, they were pretty bad."

Gourley said the flies are the gift that keeps on giving.

"There are thousands of them stuck to my car," Gourley said. "I'm not a big fan of washing my vehicle, so there are probably still a lot left from last year."

TastesLikeChicken
09-20-2004, 09:19 PM
You were attacked by Herbie?

http://members.aol.com/gr8stff/53film1.jpg

Alamo Spurs Fan
09-21-2004, 01:47 AM
They're here too, they just aren't as plentiful as they are in East Texas. I hope like hell it stays that way. Those things are a SERIOUS pain in the ass.

iminlakerland
09-21-2004, 03:49 AM
That's disgusting! I'm glad we dont have any of those out here!

Useruser666
09-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Jim, I would see a doctor about "love bugs". That and love bumps, spots, pocks, or any other inflammations.

Useruser666 :eyebrow

tlongII
09-21-2004, 11:33 AM
I'm going with Britney's 2nd marriage. It should last at least a couple of months. The Pats have the bullseye on their backs.

bigzak25
09-21-2004, 11:35 AM
:lol some of those have NO chance....