PDA

View Full Version : Is the transition game the answer?

johnny00
03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I know Pop is a defense first coach, thats public knowledge. But wouldn't a transition type offense be more suited to run with the personnel we have available to us now? It makes sense to me, there needs to be something that will jumpstart this team, there is no energy or desire being shown on the court. During the course of this season we saw glimpses of it when after opponents made baskets, the inbound man was looking for the man on the break upcourt for the easy layup. Has anyone seen this lately? Is Pop willing to try something like this this late in the season? Or is he just willing to wait till Timmy gets back? To me you have to try, there are no guarantees that Tim will be 100% when he gets back or that something might happen to the ankle again.

Thoughts?

whottt
03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
It's the answer to what ails Barry and it's also the game that suits Parker and Manu the best(and maybe even Horry too)...

The Spurs offense has graduaully gotten worse and less fluid as the season has progressed and it shows in the types of games we have had since early on in the season...you'll notice that no ones numbers have dropped dramatically...Beno and Devin are doing about the same as they were...the difference however is Brent Barry...he is afraid to make his great transition passes now because he gets yanked and he is also afraid to early run out on the lead on the break because it screws up the defense(or something). You look at all those spectacular plays early in the season by Devin...the guy that was in front of him to give him all those feeds was Brent Barry..and he's not doing it anymore.

When our bench was looking to be one of the best in history, Barry was the reason...Devin and Beno's numbers haven't changed....the only thing that's changed is Barry.

Yes it is the answer to some of our problems right now...it's the answer to our bench problems and it also will make us stronger...however Pop has already said on his radio show that's he's not going to change the inside out focus of the team while Duncan is out. Expect more of the same, basically a half court team with heavy restraint on our fastbreakers, with some running depending on the situation.

BigVee
03-24-2005, 02:19 PM
But the inside is gone. Throwing it in to Nazr, Rasho, Horry, will not get us a damn thing...other than bad shots, fumbled passes and more losses.

bigzak25
03-24-2005, 02:20 PM
running is great, but tp needs to either break through his wall or get his rest so he can run in the playoffs....and missing TD is a big part of less fast breaking as his D and Rebounds combined with his quick outlet passes or his ability to take the ball up the court himself at times are all missing right now.

Jimcs50
03-24-2005, 02:24 PM
The only transition game I care about is the transition from loser to winner again.

whottt
03-24-2005, 02:26 PM
But the inside is gone. Throwing it in to Nazr, Rasho, Horry, will not get us a damn thing...other than bad shots, fumbled passes and more losses.

I agree...we pretty much hang with any team when the offense is running through the guards...going into Rasho, Horry and Mass kills our offense(sometimes for the rest of game)

whottt
03-24-2005, 02:31 PM
running is great, but tp needs to either break through his wall or get his rest so he can run in the playoffs....and missing TD is a big part of less fast breaking as his D and Rebounds combined with his quick outlet passes or his ability to take the ball up the court himself at times are all missing right now.

That's a great point Zak...but this Rasho Mass post up stuff is killing us.

And Devin going out certainly isn't going to help our rebounding...

All our guards are pretty good at getting steals though if they were encouraged to play that way...Tony is averaging a career high, Barry has averaged a steal and half per game for his career, Bruce can certainly steal the ball if wants too.. and we know Manu doesn't go for as many steals as he could...So we could do it that way...one thing is for sure..it would catch all our opponents off guard and Parker, Manu and Barry could make the adjustment easily.

But Pop is not going to make any drastic philosophical change this late in the season anyway...and he has already said so.

BigVee
03-24-2005, 02:32 PM
I agree...we pretty much hang with any team when the offense is running through the guards...going into Rasho, Horry and Mass kills our offense(sometimes for the rest of game)

Yep, this is what I don't get about Pop. TD is out. Okay. Turn the athletes loose. Yes, there will be some turnovers, some bad shots, etc., but I think we have a better chance of winning, especially against good half court defensive teams than running Duncan plays for inferior players. I mean you can see the frustration on Manu and Tony's part when they exert themselves to drive and create for a big guy, only to watch him fumble the ball, or leave it short by a foot from 3 feet.

johnny00
03-24-2005, 03:17 PM
...the difference however is Brent Barry...he is afraid to make his great transition passes now because he gets yanked and he is also afraid to early run out on the lead on the break because it screws up the defense(or something)

Yes it is the answer to some of our problems right now...it's the answer to our bench problems and it also will make us stronger...however Pop has already said on his radio show that's he's not going to change the inside out focus of the team while Duncan is out.

Y'know I'm not part of the whole "Pop is a bad coach" mob. But there are times when I really have to question how he runs his team. He lets his players know from the beginning who's in charge almost to the point of intimidation. The results are players on the floor so conscious of how thier preforming that some are playing not to make mistakes (see Rose, Parker, and recently Barry) and avoid Pops "doghouse". It's ashame that he continually chooses to stay the course when the course he's maintaining isn't working. I'm not saying keep the transition game, Lord knows it's not going to win a championship. What I am saying is lets show the ability to adjust to our situations and take advantage of what our strengths are at the moment. Or we can stick to our guns and wait for the calvery to arrive. Does that build character, guts, or determination for the rest ofthe team while we wait? Or does it build a dependency on one player, and if he goes out we might as well pack it in 'cause who we got can't get the job done anyway?

SPURS21
03-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Is the transition game the answer? It was last year when TD went down, the team got out and ran alot more when TD went down last season

MarkyMark
03-24-2005, 03:30 PM
This system plain and simple isn't going to work with Duncan out. Our whole entire system and are players are all built around Duncan. Our offensive system is built around Duncan as well as our defense. I agree that we should try a little bit more of a transition offense. We still have a good defensive team even with Duncan out. We wouldn't be a team like Sacramento or Dallas who just runs and runs but don't have a defense to rely on. We do have a solid defense so I think we should try to allow a little bit more of a transition game.

boutons
03-24-2005, 03:59 PM
As was said, when Tim was out last year, the Spurs ran a more open, running offense, more fastbreaking, more transition.

When Tim came back, he had the famous quote "we are a better team when I'm just another option" (instead of nearly always the first option).

Sounded good, and work very well, 13-game season streak, crushed the Griz, but then Pop and Tim went to 4-down vs LAL, and then went fishin.

spur219
03-24-2005, 04:18 PM
I would go with the transition game now with Duncan out. The Spurs have turned into this tactic when Duncan is out and has had great success with it. You really can't go all defense and go 4 down anymore because there isn't really a big man you want to set up. With Tony and Manu in your backcourt and maybe accompanied by Barry with Horry you have a very good transition game lineup. Barry has always been a player with a transition game and pull up jumpers. And in my opinion that is why he hasn't played all that well because Barry is not used to the half court setup offense. I say tranition.

Que Gee
03-24-2005, 06:47 PM
I have been constantly talking about how the "system" doesn't fit Barry, and is part of his struggles. NOT ALL, but part. But my overall message has tried to be look, when TD is out, or Tony or Manu, and there are certain players on the floor, adjust your fucking offense. The biggest gripe I have with Pop is that maybe when TD is taking a breather and Beno is running he point, and you've got Rasho, and Nazr or Horry, Barry on the wing, you adjust. You cannot run the same offense over and over again, with different people. Beno is not Tony, Rahso is not TD, Barry is not Manu...Have some goddamn flexibility....I truly believe that shows over the last few games. Same system, different players...not going to work.

And to whoever said most of Devin's nites that he's "gone off" have been a direct result of Barry...Goddamn THANK YOU!!!!!!! At least someone is paying attention. You get two people who like to run and play the transition game, and ..... wah laaaahhhhh.

cherylsteele
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
The answer is playing with a purpose ALL 48 MINUTES......not making passes to the wrong team think they will count towards your assist totals.....keep attacking the basket....I see too many instances where TP, Manu, Barry, etc. just stand around dribbling in the back court and having to scramble to get a shot off.....usually a contested one....especially in 4th quarter. The "D" has been very poor....they ar letting too many drives to lane off with an easy layup/dunk.....stay in front of your man....defensive concepts are simple...stay between your man and the basket......TP should easily do this because his possibly the quickest guard in the NBA.

They have started the games off well with aggression and then they stop the aggression.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-24-2005, 08:54 PM
It's dumb to run inside out when our strength is the guards.

But then again, Pop has never been mistaken for flexibility on offense.

Rick Von Braun
03-24-2005, 09:32 PM
All these points are valid to a certain extent. Yes, with TD out, they could run more, they could look more for fastbreak opportunities, they shouldn't necessarily be running an inside/out offense, etc. etc.

Sadly, I think offense is just part of the problem. The most criticial issue I see is lack of deffensive intensity in the post. The Spurs must get more rebounds and somehow start blocking more shots. I don't know how to improve this unless our post players start playing better, period. Rasho, Horry, Nazr, and TonyM must step up, or the Spurs are going to suffer.

Let's hope they improve in the next couple of games.

kskonn
03-24-2005, 11:18 PM
I think while Tim is out Carlisemo should take a more active roll in coaching the offense. he has more experience with the type of personell that the spurs have to work with. It has been well publized that he is the reason for the spurs increased offensive production this year. Turn him loose for the next couple of weeks, let him show his talent.

T Park
03-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Carlisemo should take a more active roll in coaching the offense.

as opposed to what he is doin now???

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Now is all Pop, all the time, getting ready for the playoffs. Use what you got, Pop.

kskonn
03-24-2005, 11:30 PM
as opposed to what he is doin now???

Sorry T Park I should say take over the offense completely for the next few weeks, during games etc.... But yea more than what he is doing now if possible.