PDA

View Full Version : This year. Whose the better defender, Bron or Battier?

RsxPiimp
05-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Discuss

endrity
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Battier, not even close. Does it every night for his team. He is probably the best perimeter defender now that Bowen has been reduced to limited minutes.

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Lebron DUH, end the thread please. And no im not talking about overall basketball player, IM TALKING D #####

xtremesteven33
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
My gut tells me Battier

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
My gut tells me Battier

Lose that gut

endrity
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Is this another Bump troll?

Double-Up
05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
No doubt it's Battier, LeBron could be the best but he devotes to much energy on offense to probably do that consistenly like Battier does.

xtremesteven33
05-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Battier seems more crafty and smarter about his defensive play.

'Bron just blocks shots from the weakside....

Amaso
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Lebron isn't even a good defender, all he does is get 1-2 blocks from the weakside, usually giving the ball right back to the team because it goes out of bounds. Even the coaches are caught up with all the ESPN hype.

duncan228
05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
LeBron, on being picked for the All-Defensive First Team:

It was a big goal of mine to become a better defensive player. I decided to take a little more onus on that end of the floor. It's humbling and a great feat for myself because I really enjoy that side of the floor. I thank the coaches for seeing that I picked up my game on that end. It's humbling.

It's all about pride. I just take pride on that end of the court. I'm just as locked in on that end as I am on the offensive end.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/wires/05/06/2030.ap.bkn.all.defensive.team.1st.ld.writethru.03 03/

stretch
05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
When playing his absolute best, Lebron is the best defender in the NBA. But he doesn't get to showcase that very often, because he needs the energy for offense. It's easier for guys like Battier or Bowen or Posey to be top defenders because they can expend all their energy on defense, and just spot up for an occasional 3 on offense. But fact is, none of these guys are even remotely close to having the athletic abilities that Lebron has. Lebron without question is capable of being the best defender in the NBA. Really, if he expended all his energy on defense like those guys, he would be the greatest defender ever. And it wouldn't even be close.

RocketsBlood
05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Battier! James should not be 1st team yet..

endrity
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
When playing his absolute best, Lebron is the best defender in the NBA. But he doesn't get to showcase that very often, because he needs the energy for offense. It's easier for guys like Battier or Bowen or Posey to be top defenders because they can expend all their energy on defense, and just spot up for an occasional 3 on offense. But fact is, none of these guys are even remotely close to having the athletic abilities that Lebron has. Lebron without question is capable of being the best defender in the NBA. Really, if he expended all his energy on defense like those guys, he would be the greatest defender ever. And it wouldn't even be close.

Maybe, maybe not. But he doesn't do that. So why are we honoring him based on the hypothetical defense that he can play? Fact is, guys like Battier make their living on the defensive end, and they should be the one rewarded with the nomination.

If hypothetical value was the argument, Kobe should have 4-5 MVPs, and Jordan about 10.

sook
05-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Battier and it isn't even close. The fact that he ios known for that very trademark should speak a lot.

JamStone
05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Battier plays tough defense every defensive possession and every minute he's on the court. LeBron simply cannot do that. For consistency and approach, you would have to say Battier. LeBron has the potential to be the best defender in the league but he's most likely not there yet. He has improved though. It's not just blocks and steals. When he really has to, he can often lock players down. it's just that he doesn't do it for entire games consistently.

DAF86
05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Battier.

Double-Up
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
maybe, maybe not. But he doesn't do that. So why are we honoring him based on the hypothetical defense that he can play? Fact is, guys like battier make their living on the defensive end, and they should be the one rewarded with the nomination.

If hypothetical value was the argument, kobe should have 4-5 mvps, and jordan about 10.

+5

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Lebron

Hemotivo
05-06-2009, 05:56 PM
shane

Double-Up
05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Lebron

Please get off LeBrons jock...

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Please get off LeBrons jock...

hahaha son what do you mean? because I said Lebrons better? Get off Battier's jock....Peace

Amaso
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Better man-to-man defender: Battier by a couple of miles
Better team defender: Battier by a mile
Better weak-side shot blocker: Lebron

ginobili's bald spot
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone who knows anything about basketball and doesn't base their opinions on media hype knows that Battier is obviously better.

Darthkiller
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
id say really close, i remember the game where lebron completely shut down granger , limited him to like 4 points.

coldsweat
05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
haha, what's funny is that the majority of people voting for lebron are cleveland cavaliers fans, whereas the people voting for battier are mostly fans of other teams. wonder why that is.

if you watch the games instead of the highlights, battier is definitely a better defender. he fights through screens like none other player in the nba, and even when his defender drives by him, battier always funnels his man into the help defense. so even though he doesn't have the athleticism that lebron does, he makes up for it with his smarts. his face guarding is one of the cleverest techniques i've seen on defense that others rarely use.

Spursfan092120
05-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Lebron DUH, end the thread please. And no im not talking about overall basketball player, IM TALKING D #####
http://www.creepygif.com/images/full/546.gif

Lars
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Battier is the best defender in the league.

RsxPiimp
05-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Shane is better than Kobe and James at D. Artest is better than Kobe as well. Kobe and Duncan are way overrated at Defense.

Im not a fan of Kobe obviuosly and I love Ron, but Ron is not better than Kobe defensively. Both are are overrated in that aspect if anything.

baseline bum
05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
No doubt it's Battier, LeBron could be the best but he devotes to much energy on offense to probably do that consistenly like Battier does.

You're showing the wrong side of that chick in your sig.

endrity
05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Im not a fan of Kobe obviuosly and I love Ron, but Ron is not better than Kobe defensively. Both are are overrated in that aspect if anything.

I think Artest was much better in the early part of the decade, now he focuses way too much on offense.

KidCongo
05-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Not sure about Battier but LeBron is getting the recognition for being the leader on one of the best defensive teams like KG with the Celtics. This may also have made coaches vote the way they have.

I thought he would be second team, but in the last few months and the hype saying he could have a run at DPOY (coming up second) meant he made 1st team. LBJ played 21 games more than Battier, so some coaches may not have seen him play. Artest and Battier perhaps stole votes of each-other.

Imposter Cleaner
05-07-2009, 04:51 AM
Is this another Bump troll?
You are a MORON. obviously this guy is an idiot that doesn't even know how to select his team, he is just a rockets fan disguised as a Spurs fan.

stretch
05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Battier plays tough defense every defensive possession and every minute he's on the court. LeBron simply cannot do that. For consistency and approach, you would have to say Battier. LeBron has the potential to be the best defender in the league but he's most likely not there yet. He has improved though. It's not just blocks and steals. When he really has to, he can often lock players down. it's just that he doesn't do it for entire games consistently.

agreed.

unfortunately 90% of the posters here dont see that, cuz they are too fucking stupid to use their thought process when debating basketball.

Armando
05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Well for LeBron is easy if the refs are not calling fouls on him. What it it? 1 foul every 10 games?

Armando
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
agreed.

unfortunately 90% of the posters here dont see that, cuz they are too fucking stupid to use their thought process when debating basketball.

What people need to realize is the Cavs hold LeBron off the best opposing playwer until the 4th period. He is not guarding the Wades or the Kobes the entire game.

UltimA
05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Battier, and he's got to guard Kobe.