PDA

View Full Version : 1st round prediction contest

Obstructed_View
05-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm sure I missed the discussion of this, but maybe I'm not the only one. It's surprising that with ~165 NBA fans predicting the outcomes of the first round, only one person actually got all eight winners correct. That's why the best gamblers aren't the people who know the most about sports, it's the people who understand the math.

baseline bum
05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
My calls were horrible:

Lakers over Jazz in 5 GOT IT
Nuggets over Hornets in 6 ... off by one :lol
Spurs over Mavs in 6 :pctoss
Blazers over Rockets in 7 ... OOOPS

Cavs over Pistons in 4 NAILED IT
Celtics over Bulls in 5 - CRAP
Magic over Sixers in 6 GOT IT
Heat over Hawks in 7 - DAMN, PICKED THE WRONG TEAM!

Obstructed_View
05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I picked the Heat, the Blazers and the Hornets. I actually thought the Bulls might surprise the Celtics, but I was afraid to jinx it.

duncan228
05-06-2009, 06:58 PM
...only one person actually got all eight winners correct.

Congrats 2Cleva. :toast

It's fun to go through. The Spurs threw most off, and not many picked the Hawks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I think I modified my picks with my mates here and forgot to update on ST.

In the end, I got 6/8 with my picks here, missing the Bulls in 7 (oh, so close) and the Spurs in 6 (which was a loyalty pick, not who I actually thought would win the series as I knew we were heading for a first round flameout and said so more than once around here).

From this point, it's all about the Thuggets for me - I've got them beating the Lakers in 7 (or Houston in 6, if it comes to that), then losing to the Cavs in 7 after JR Smith forgets which team he's playing for in the pivotal moment of game 7 and accidentally hits a 3 for the Lebrons...

Really enjoying watching them too - Nene has always been a fave of mine (and he's finally become the player I thought he would be 5 years ago), as has Chauncey from the 2004 ring, and Birdman from his NO days. Don't like Melo much, but the guy can play, and I really respect the way Martin has re-tooled his game to go with his diminished athleticism, yet remained effective. The only guy I really don't like on that team is Carter - why couldn't the fucker play like that for us!? :lol

PS Nene for Kemba Walker, a 2nd and a 3rd, was definitely the biggest steal I've pulled off in DL trades. Walker will likely be a decent NBA player, but Nene is now a bonafide top 10 NBA centre, and they are hard to find.

spursbird
05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
...only one person actually got all eight winners correct.
One of the reasons is the forum is full of Spurs fans.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2009, 03:48 AM
One of the reasons is the forum is full of Spurs fans.

Yeah that one weeded out the majority of the folks. There weren't more than a handful of people that even got seven out of eight, though.

Spurminator
05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
:depressed I got Mavs in 5 right...

fyatuk
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Congrats 2Cleva. :toast

It's fun to go through. The Spurs threw most off, and not many picked the Hawks.

The Spurs were the only one I missed the winner on. Forgetting that one, I was off by a total of 6 games for the other 7 series. Not too bad if I do pat myself on the back :lol