PDA

View Full Version : AP Calc. Exam ate my soul

sook
05-06-2009, 06:58 PM
At first It seemed nice and easy with the easy derivatives and integrals but it left me with my mouth wide open. The degree of difficulty on the free response section was more than enough to brutally rape a virgin.

Oh and never bring a bottle of water to a test. I had to pee so bad during the MC section, it got so bad i couldn't concentrate. Eventually i left and went to the bathroom burning up 5 or 6 minutes.
I'm expecting a 2 or 3 :(

tp2021
05-06-2009, 06:58 PM
AB or BC?

sook
05-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Bc

sook
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I still remember this one question i was stupidly brave enough to attempt. You know those questions you basically just glance over and skip? Yea i decided not to and wasted 15 minutes right there.

Rocket taking off and distance and velocity of the dust particles + some other crap i can't remember.

balli
05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
There's a Woody Allen joke in here somewhere, but I'm not sure it makes the jump to calc.

baseline bum
05-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I never took AP Calc, but I took the literature test and it was brutal.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Friday I take the US History AP Exam. Any advice?

sook
05-06-2009, 07:56 PM

depends on what kind of teacher you have. Our teacher is so hard that the we have an 80% passing rate. I didn't take the class for that precise reason...5 hrs of HW every night? No thanks.

AGain, i heard it was SUPER easy, but that could just be b.c of our teacher.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Hm, alright then. Our teacher wasn't that strict actually. Every night there was like a half hour of reading and that was it, and the occassional research paper. I have to say I'm not that much prepared for it, I started keeping up with the class starting in the second semester, so I don't know much about the first half of history, except the Revolution.

td4mvp21
05-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Know your shit. The multiple choice are SO detailed. Only leave about 7-8 blank. On the essays, write 3+pages for the DBQ and 2+ pages for the other free response questions. Oh, and make sure you write about the right president. For example, if the question asks about Teddy Roosevelt, don't write about Franklin Roosevelt. That cost me :lol I honestly didn't even take the time to look at the first name. I had to retake that bitch of a test.

thispego
05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
math is for fags and every other subject is cake. if you're worried about a history or literature exam your bigger problem is that you're probably retarded.

tp2021
05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
math is for fags and every other subject is cake. if you're worried about a history or literature exam your bigger problem is that you're probably retarded.

So you like math?

E20
05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I took the AP US history exam during highschool and I got a 4, but then again history is easy, because memorization and writing are my strong suits.

I didn't attempt to take the AP Calc test during HS, wasn't worth it. I don't mind taking it again now. Calc 2 was the probably the hardest out of the three calcs.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I took the Calculus, Physics and History ones decades ago.

I got a 4 on the Calculus BC and 5's on the two. The Calculus one was horribly difficult.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-06-2009, 08:51 PM
So you like math?

:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Know your shit. The multiple choice are SO detailed. Only leave about 7-8 blank. On the essays, write 3+pages for the DBQ and 2+ pages for the other free response questions. Oh, and make sure you write about the right president. For example, if the question asks about Teddy Roosevelt, don't write about Franklin Roosevelt. That cost me :lol I honestly didn't even take the time to look at the first name. I had to retake that bitch of a test.

:lol That sucks.

E20
05-06-2009, 08:53 PM

I got a 4 on the Calculus BC and 5's on the two. The Calculus one was horribly difficult.

What's the derivative of 5?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
And while we're on the topic of AP here, what makes the difference for you guys when you decide(d) between AP and dual credit classes?

td4mvp21
05-06-2009, 08:55 PM

That's impressive. Those are all very difficult exams.

usckk
05-06-2009, 09:11 PM

AP History is one of the harder AP tests. Know generalizations, and not specific events.

Udokafan05
05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I've got 3 finals tomorrow.

spurster
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Just more reasons why Kori is cool. We didn't know you were a Math and Science nerd.

ploto
05-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I got a 5 on my Calculus AP exam. :D I did not take the English one because my university was already giving me credit based upon my SAT score. My high school had no AP History and I did not like science enough to take a second year of chemistry or physics.

ploto
05-06-2009, 09:44 PM
What's the derivative of 5?

I do not know if that is a serious question, but the derivative of a constant is 0.

E20
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I do not know if that is a serious question, but the derivative of a constant is 0.

SHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssshh I was just trying to test Kori lol.

usckk
05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Speaking of calculus, I can sum up the class with one basic formula: (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

E20
05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
although it's not an equation i'd use 1st fundamental thm lol

florige
05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Did any of you guys break down and read one of those AP guides?

baseline bum
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Speaking of calculus, I can sum up the class with one basic formula: (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

although it's not an equation i'd use 1st fundamental thm lol

I would sum it up with the symbol for infinity.

mFFL03
05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
if you don't pass the test and have to take it in college, I suggest studying and keeping it up over the summer.

take it your freshman semester and get it out of the way.

unless you're going to party your pants off.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Just more reasons why Kori is cool. We didn't know you were a Math and Science nerd.

I was originally an Engineering major at UCLA, but switched to English early on. I barely took any math after my first year, but took a lot of chemistry for fun throughout school.

baseline bum
05-06-2009, 10:57 PM
I was originally an Engineering major at UCLA, but switched to English early on. I barely took any math after my first year, but took a lot of chemistry for fun throughout school.

You missed out. :lol The math professors at UCLA are awesome!

ploto
05-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I would sum it up with the symbol for infinity.

I actually own this bracelet- it is for the math geek in me plus the religious symbolism

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/46/ec/088f_1.JPG

Kori Ellis
05-06-2009, 11:03 PM
You missed out. :lol The math professors at UCLA are awesome!

Is the male to female ratio still ~20 to 1? In my discussion group, there was literally 40 guys and 2 girls :lmao I just remember thinking that must have sucked for the guys.

baseline bum
05-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Is the male to female ratio still ~20 to 1? In my discussion group, there was literally 40 guys and 2 girls :lmao I just remember thinking that must have sucked for the guys.

When I took upper-division CS classes it was usually about 30:1 to 40:1. In math it was a more respectable 8:1 to 10:1 or so. :lol

It's ok; it got evened out with all the hotties in the north-campus classes. Too many good-looking women to pay attention to the professors there.

E20
05-06-2009, 11:12 PM

LOL Gen. Chem. is NOT FUN.

O-Chem is similar to Bio, so it's not bad.

baseline bum
05-06-2009, 11:16 PM

I'll second that for the lectures, but the labs are great.

Summers
05-07-2009, 12:29 AM

Please tell me this is true. I've heard o chem is a bitch because of the standardized national test covering both semesters. I took gen chem 1 and 2 over a decade ago and I'm pretty nervous about taking o chem.

E20
05-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Please tell me this is true. I've heard o chem is a bitch because of the standardized national test covering both semesters. I took gen chem 1 and 2 over a decade ago and I'm pretty nervous about taking o chem.

O-Chem is more like a biology class. No math or tricky ways to manipulate equations. You memorize compounds, their functions, and shapes and how they interact and bond. I'd describe it as a pure memorization type of class and for me that is easier, because I'm used to having memorize concepts for exams. You will not need to use 95% of GenChem to understand O-Chem.

And another thing, the problem with GenChem was that understand and using the formulas were somewhat straightforward but on exams there would always be tricky little things that you'd have to do with some of the values they give you and that is just plain deception.

Summers
05-07-2009, 01:02 AM
O-Chem is more like a biology class. No math or tricky ways to manipulate equations. You memorize compounds, their functions, and shapes and how they interact and bond. I'd describe it as a pure memorization type of class and for me that is easier, because I'm used to having memorize concepts for exams. You will not need to use 95% of GenChem to understand O-Chem.

And another thing, the problem with GenChem was that understand and using the formulas were somewhat straightforward but on exams there would always be tricky little things that you'd have to do with some of the values they give you and that is just plain deception.

Okay, so as long I take good notes, which I always do, I should be able to stay on top of the information. I can take a deep breath. I've heard it's a lot of nomenclature, too. I think I'm better at understanding conceptual things, rather than memorizing random things, probably because I'm old, but I'll just have to make it work.

spursfan09
05-07-2009, 07:31 AM
YOu are talking about the exams you take in high school right?

Don't sweat it, I didn't do great on the calculus exam in high school

But in college I took Calculus for business majors and I passed with an A. I would ace all my tests.

I'm also an accounting major. Studying right now for my final. Its comprehensive 8 chapters. Holy crap....

ploto
05-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I've heard o chem is a bitch because of the standardized national test covering both semesters.

Usually, it either makes perfect sense to you or it makes no sense to you. Hope it is the former for you...

angrydude
05-07-2009, 07:51 PM

lol

I remember passing the free comparative government AP exam without taking the course just by making educated guesses on every single question.

sook
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM

I knew my boy Timvp couldn't have picked a dud, you sound crazy smart:toast