PDA

View Full Version : Bynum's Injury Limits Lakers' Options

duncan228
05-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Notebook: Bynum's injury limits Lakers' options (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=546329)
Sean Deveney

LOS ANGELES -- Lakers C Andrew Bynum was sitting in front of his locker, going through his usual pregame routine. He placed his bulky plastic brace on his knee, leaned over and pulled the three Velcro straps tight, first on his thigh, then just under his knee, then closer to his calf. "It takes some getting used to," he said.

But, after reviewing the film of Game 1, coach Phil Jackson decided that the Lakers did not have time to wait for Bynum to adjust. As he did in the first round, Jackson flipped his lineup, moving PF Pau Gasol to center, F Lamar Odom into the starting five at power forward and sending Bynum to a reserve role. In doing so, Jackson acknowledged that he was giving up some of the Lakers' advantages in bulk by benching Bynum, and flexibility by not having Odom as sixth man.

"You know, damned if you do, damned if you don't," Jackson said. "We know we need rebounding and shot-blocking and size, with Andrew in there on some level if we're going to be very successful this season. We're not as versatile or intimidating when we don't have him. But we're so much better on the offensive end (with Odom) because of the mobility we have.

"We give up more points in the process, but we also gather more points."

No worries with Fisher: Jackson did not express any concern over the slump that Fisher has been in recently. He entered the second game of the series having shot just 25.0 percent from the 3-point line in the postseason, including seven straight misses dating back to Game 4 of the Utah series. "(Fisher) spent the better part of two mornings last week, shooting 500 shots before practice," Jackson said. "The dedication he brings to this game, the professionalism is exceptional. I think he will find a way back into a streak where everything goes for him."

Just as expected: Rockets PG Aaron Brooks averaged 15.3 points in the first round against Portland and opened the Lakers series with 19 points. But he doesn't think the element of surprise has had much to do with his postseason success. After all, he's been starting since February, so there's no excuse for teams to not have scouted him. "Not anymore," Brooks said. "There is plenty of footage on me now. I am not a backup anymore, so I don't think I am surprising anyone."

Smart move: Rockets C Yao Ming was asked after Game 1 whether he considered G/F Ron Artest to be a smart player. Yao, somewhat puzzled by the question, answered, "Tonight after I leave the building, I will yell, 'Ron is a smart player! Ron is a smart player! Ron is a smart player!' Everybody has his own talents. His talents are his strength, his shooting and his post-ups. He uses that well and that's why he is a smart player."

Artest was appreciative. "I thanked him for that," he said.