PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliott to the National High School HOF

Kori Ellis
03-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Associated Press - Former San Antonio Spurs player Sean Elliott and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Ty Detmer head a group of 13 who will be inducted into the National High School Hall of Fame in July.

Elliott, a high school star in Arizona, was a first-round NBA draft pick out of Arizona in 1989. He played 12 years in the NBA and became the first player in league history to return to action following a major organ transplant after receiving a kidney from his brother in 1999.

His Number 32 was retired by the Spurs this month.

Detmer, who is from San Antonio, was a Texas high school player of the year and won the Heisman Trophy as the nation's top college player in 1990 as a junior at Brigham Young. He has played for six teams during a 13-year NFL career.

Others to be inducted in San Antonio on July 2 during the summer meeting of the National Federation of State High School Associations include Chad Hennings, who played on three Super Bowl teams with the Dallas Cowboys; LaTaunya Pollard, 1979 Miss Basketball in Indiana from East Chicago Roosevelt; and Patty Sheehan, who won 35 LPGA events.

boutons
03-24-2005, 07:50 PM
National High School Hall of Fame? WTF?

What bullshit is this? Hall of Fame is a career award. You don't spend your career in HS.

Congrats, Sean. :)

ShoogarBear
03-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Well, the Basketball HoF is for both college and pros.

Lots of players are in there because of their college, not pro careers (c.f., John Wooden, who made it as both player and coach).

And in Texas, home of My-Daddy-Is-A-Principal-Who-Held-Me-Back-So-I-Would-Be-Bigger-For-Football, some players may spend longer in HS than they do in college.