PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen - Hall of Famer?

Galileo
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I say YES:
Bruce Bowen
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bowenbr01.html

Bruce Bowen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Bowen

*** Eight times on All-Defensive Team (of 17 players in NBA history)

*** Five times 1st-Team, All-Defensive (of 17 players in NBA history)

*** Twice runner-up for DPOY

*** Three NBA Championships (of 66 players in NBA history) [after you throw out Celtics from the 1960s and scrubs who didn't play much, there are not many starters with 3 rings]

* Six Times played 82 games

** Five consecutive seasons played 82 games

*** 14th All-Time, most Threes made in Playoffs (168) [8th among active players]

*** 13th All-Time, best Three-point FG% in playoffs (.422) [6th among active players]

** Led NBA in Three-Point Shooting Percent in 2003

* 42nd among active players in Threes made in regular season

* 22nd among active players in Three-point FG%

* 65th all-Time in Defensive win shares in playoffs (15th among active players)

* 27th among active players for total win shares in playoffs

* 15th among active players for steals in playoffs

* Selected to USA international team in 2006

* Shoots cool Three-point daggers from the corners

* Scrappy, controversial player is plays clean, but is accused of being dirty sometimes

* Tim Duncan's best friend on the Spurs & a true team player

BRUCE DESERVES TO BE IN THE HALL!

:lobt2::flag::meeting::ban:

JoshO501
05-07-2009, 09:42 AM
no.

Steve-O-Matic
05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
No way, not even close.

King
05-07-2009, 09:48 AM

* Tim Duncan's best friend on the Spurs

I think he's borderline until voters bring up his cool three pointers and best friend. Then he's a shoo-in.

TheChillFactor
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
worst thread ever.

Galileo
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
No way, not even close.

If an NBA player were a top ten scorer eight times, and a top five scorer five times, and started on three NBA championship teams, plus a pet defensive stat they were very good at, they would not only be a Hall-of-Fame shoo-in, but also a top 50 player of all time.

Bruce is just this, in reverse.

You fail.

King
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM

And the HOF doesn't recognize any of that for the most part. So no, not even close.

Spurminator
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Texas Sports HOF at best.

Galileo
05-07-2009, 10:28 AM
And the HOF doesn't recognize any of that for the most part. So no, not even close.

name another NBA player reasonbly close to Bruce in All-Defensive honors and NBA rings, who is not in the Hall?

resistanze
05-07-2009, 10:28 AM

* Scrappy, controversial player is plays clean, but is accused of being dirty sometimes

:lmao

King
05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
name another NBA player reasonbly close to Bruce in All-Defensive honors and NBA rings, who is not in the Hall?

Michael Cooper

Steve-O-Matic
05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
If an NBA player were a top ten scorer eight times, and a top five scorer five times, and started on three NBA championship teams, plus a pet defensive stat they were very good at, they would not only be a Hall-of-Fame shoo-in, but also a top 50 player of all time.

You fail.

Well Bruce isn't the player you just described there, so that point is irrelevant (and pure conjecture anyway). He's never even made an All-Star team and you think he should be in the HOF?! One-dimensional role players don't get into the HOF, nor should they, no matter how good they are at that one dimension or how many rings they collect. Otherwise Steve Kerr would be in the HOF. Bruce was a great on-the-ball perimeter defender. That's it. Offensively he was a complete liability, other than the occasional wide-open corner 3. He couldn't create for himself, couldn't create for others, had no mid-range game, couldn't hit a free throw to save his live, was horrible in transition, had no ball-handling or passing skills whatsover, was an atrocious rebounder, wasn't a shot-blocker, and didn't even collect many steals. Put him in a man-to-man defensive position out on the perimeter and he was as good as they come. In every other facet of the game he was absolutely horrendous. He's the defensive equivalent of Craig Hodges. That is NOT what the HOF is all about.

YOU fail.

Stump
05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
He'll get his number retired by the Spurs, which is enough for him.

poop
05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
he should be, what he does is just important as a career 20+ ppg scorer.

look at it this way. Iverson will probably get in, and Bruce is the complete foil of iverson, so he should too.

Yuushi12
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
he'll get his number retired by the spurs, which is enough for him.

+1

Galileo
05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Bruce deserves to be in the Hall-of Fame, but I guess he won't make it.

Coop is a virtual clone.

SA210
05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Bruce deserves to be in the Hall-of Fame, but I guess he won't make it.

Coop is a virtual clone.

I'm with you buddy! :toast

George Gervin's Afro
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I say YES:
Bruce Bowen
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bowenbr01.html

Bruce Bowen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Bowen

*** Eight times on All-Defensive Team (of 17 players in NBA history)

*** Five times 1st-Team, All-Defensive (of 17 players in NBA history)

*** Twice runner-up for DPOY

*** Three NBA Championships (of 66 players in NBA history) [after you throw out Celtics from the 1960s and scrubs who didn't play much, there are not many starters with 3 rings]

* Six Times played 82 games

** Five consecutive seasons played 82 games

*** 14th All-Time, most Threes made in Playoffs (168) [8th among active players]

*** 13th All-Time, best Three-point FG% in playoffs (.422) [6th among active players]

** Led NBA in Three-Point Shooting Percent in 2003

* 42nd among active players in Threes made in regular season

* 22nd among active players in Three-point FG%

no

baseline bum
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
You can't be serious.

Galileo
05-07-2009, 12:10 PM
You can't be serious.

I'm dead serious. We should all petition David Stern. DEMAND THAT BRUCE BE ENSHRINED!

JamStone
05-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Dennis Rodman.
-2 time DPOY
-7 time rebounding champ (edit, made a mistake, it's 7 not 3)
-8 time all defense (7 time first team all defense)
-2 time 3rd team all NBA
-2 time all star
-5 time NBA champion (4 times he was a starter, the other he was a part time starter)

It's been 9 years since his last NBA game, and he's not in the HOF.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I believe that the cool three point daggers from the corners make for a compelling argument. That, and being buddies with Timmy.

The omission of the HEB commercials from your analysis shocks me, however, and I feel completely weakens your argument. For that reason, I have to vote 'no' based strictly upon your presentation. Come back with some strong Henry Butt smack and I may be swayed.

IronMexican
05-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Galileo
05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Dennis Rodman.
-2 time DPOY
-7 time rebounding champ (edit, made a mistake, it's 7 not 3)
-8 time all defense (7 time first team all defense)
-2 time 3rd team all NBA
-2 time all star
-5 time NBA champion (4 times he was a starter, the other he was a part time starter)

It's been 9 years since his last NBA game, and he's not in the HOF.

Rodman will get in. He is a top-50 all time player, according to Kalb, the stats man.

His offcourt antics are keeping him out for a while.

tp2021
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Simply retiring his jersey would make me happy.

noob cake
05-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Speaking of defensive players

Bowen doesn't even have a outside chance (0-0%)

Rodman has a small chance (20-30%)

Deke is borderline/in (50-60%)

CubanMustGo
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
stick to conspiracy theories. You suck there, but at least everyone expects you to suck.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I love Bowen, but even if defense were valued as much as it should be, he wouldn't get much beyond a bit of consideration. That said, the NBA is trying very hard to regulate defense out of existence for the benefit of the casual, ignorant, Phoenix Suns type of fan who only watches highlights on ESPN, so Bowen won't even get a mention beyond a message board full of his fans.

Galileo
05-07-2009, 03:17 PM
stick to conspiracy theories. You suck there, but at least everyone expects you to suck.

There exists a plot by a pro-offensive group of conspirators, to keep Bruce Bowen, Michael Cooper, and Dennis Rodman out of the Hall-of-Fame.

:danceclub:ban::huddle:

JamStone
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Speaking of defensive players

Bowen doesn't even have a outside chance (0-0%)

Rodman has a small chance (20-30%)

Deke is borderline/in (50-60%)

Deke has a 50% chance or better to get in the HOF? Really? Because he's a nice guy and does more charity work than the average NBA player?

Does Ben Wallace get into the HOF as well?

-4 DPOYs
-4 time All Star
-6 time all defense (5 times first team all defense)
-3 time 2nd team all NBA
-2 time 3rd team all NBA
-2 rebounding titles
-1 blocked shots title
-1 championship (possibly 2 if the Cavs win this year or next year)
-Only player in NBA history to record four consecutive seasons with 1000 rebounds, 200 blocks, and 100 steals
-One of 5 players to lead league in rebounding and blocked shots in same season (Kareem, Walton, Hakeem, D12)
-Recorded 150 blocks and 100 steals in 7 consecutive seasons (Hakeem and D-Rob only other two players to do it)
-Averaged 15 rebounds and 3 blocks in a season (only other two players to do it were Kareem and Bob McAdoo)

Bukefal
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
No way! He is a good player, but hall of fame? no way!!

Galileo
05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Deke has a 50% chance or better to get in the HOF? Really? Because he's a nice guy and does more charity work than the average NBA player?

Does Ben Wallace get into the HOF as well?

-4 DPOYs
-4 time All Star
-6 time all defense (5 times first team all defense)
-3 time 2nd team all NBA
-2 time 3rd team all NBA
-2 rebounding titles
-1 blocked shots title
-1 championship (possibly 2 if the Cavs win this year or next year)
-Only player in NBA history to record four consecutive seasons with 1000 rebounds, 200 blocks, and 100 steals
-One of 5 players to lead league in rebounding and blocked shots in same season (Kareem, Walton, Hakeem, D12)
-Recorded 150 blocks and 100 steals in 7 consecutive seasons (Hakeem and D-Rob only other two players to do it)
-Averaged 15 rebounds and 3 blocks in a season (only other two players to do it were Kareem and Bob McAdoo)

He belongs in the Hall. They should kick some of the women's players out to make room for Big Ben.

bus driver
05-07-2009, 03:57 PM

:toast

angelbelow
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
yikes

JamStone
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Slightly off topic, but it's still a travesty that Dennis Johnson isn't in the HOF yet.

barbacoataco
05-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Bowen is my favorite player. He is borderline IMO, but he has no chance of getting in. In 20 years they'll look at his numbers and not be impressed, only his 3pt %, and they won't remember just how good he was as a defender. And all the GREAT players he foiled in the playoffs. Kobe, Lebron, Nash, Allen, and anyone else the Spurs needed him to cool off. Even sometimes 7ftrs.

Also, Rodman should be in the HOF. He did a lot to help his teams win. his defense on Shaq when he was in Orlando I remember as the best anyone ever played Shaq when he was in his prime.

Thomas82
05-07-2009, 10:39 PM

That's inevitable.

SouthTexasRancher
05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
San Antonio Hall of Fame and his jersey retired and hanging in the rafters but, NO to the main Basketball Hall of Fame. Now if Bruce had averaged 32 ppg and 12 apg and 11 rpg to go with his defensive prowess then I say he makes it without question. JMHO though....

bigfan
05-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I like Bruce and do think his number should be retired but dont think he rates the HoF.

Stump
05-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Galileo, do you think Robert Horry deserves to be in HOF? Just curious.

Mr Bones
05-08-2009, 12:41 AM
I've always loved Bowen's defense, but he has so many other weaknesses and that makes me think there's little chance he could make the HOF. Artis Gilmore isn't even in the HOF and his college/ABA/NBA accomplishments dwarf those of Bowen.

symple19
05-08-2009, 01:29 AM
nope, no, negatron --- We as Spurs fans love and respect what he's done, but no way is he a HOFer --- I agree, he'll have his jersey retired, and deservedly so