PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's Elbow...normal?

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Serious question. I've been listening to a bunch of interviews today about this and noticed the coachs and ex-players interviewed said that Kobe shouldnt be suspended and those kind of elbows are thrown all the time. Jalen Rose said that he would probably would have only palyed 13 games a season if they suspended players who did that. Was Kobe's elbow really that bad, or did Ron Artest's over reaction just highlight it?

hater
05-07-2009, 11:29 AM
suspension

cobbler
the latter

If artest doesnt go bonkers... its just another rough box out and rebound in a playoff caliber game. Nothing more.

Add to that the masses of Kobe haters and this is the overblown reactions that the media hype and thrive on.

DAF86
No, it's not normal and people are saying that 'cause game 3 without Kobe would be a really big blow to the league and TV ratings.

TheProfessor
05-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Technically, it's deserving of suspension. In terms of how the game is called, I don't think it is.

cobbler
No, it's not normal and people are saying that 'cause game 3 without Kobe would be a really big blow to the league and TV ratings.

Then you have never played any type of real basketball in your life. Either that or you are a moron.

Which is it?

ElNono
I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary for a heavily contested game. I did think the foul should have been on Kobe, and I still don't understand why Artest was ejected considering he didn't have a T before that play.

DAF86
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Then you have never played any type of real basketball in your life. Either that or you are a moron.

Which is it?

You don't need to elbow a guy on the face to box-out.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary for a heavily contested game. I did think the foul should have been on Kobe, and I still don't understand why Artest was ejected considering he didn't have a T before that play.

i believe he was ejected because of the "throat slashing" sign.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:34 AM

It was a pretty physical series. If you look at the play...Ron's elbow were all over Kobe's head and face. Are you allowed to do that? Thats where the original foul was called for.

cobbler
05-07-2009, 11:36 AM

The foul could really have gone either way to be honest. Usually, though not always correct, they give the benefit of the doubt to the guy with position. But certainly they could just have easily called the foul on Kobe.

Ron got ejected cause he wouldnt let it go. He yelled at the refs, got in kobes face, yelled at the refs again etc. Had he just got in Kobes face and let it go he gets a T and goes on. Byt the guy is a nutcase and had to continue and be restrained etc after numerous warnings. Not rocket science.

DaDakota
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
It was intentional, and should warrant a suspension, but I doubt the NBA has the sack to do that.

But, what it does do is draw attention to Kobe's punkish ways, and I doubt he gets away with much more as the series goes on....

It is enough to make me wish we had Bruce Bowen to slide his foot under Kobe's landing area on his jumpers.

DD

cobbler
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Never touched his face. In fact if you look at the video... tho only elbow that came close to anyones face...was Rons to Kobes just prior to Kobe throwing his. Give it a rest

DAF86
05-07-2009, 11:38 AM
It was a pretty physical series. If you look at the play...Ron's elbow were all over Kobe's head and face. Are you allowed to do that? Thats where the original foul was called for.

Aren't you the guy that thinks that Kobe's cheap shots on Battier in game 1 were normal too?

DDS4
05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
No I don't think he should get suspended.

Intentional? Most definitely.

Artest93
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Kobe has a history of throwing elbows, so yes he should be suspended

ElNono
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
The foul could really have gone either way to be honest. Usually, though not always correct, they give the benefit of the doubt to the guy with position. But certainly they could just have easily called the foul on Kobe.

Ron got ejected cause he wouldnt let it go. He yelled at the refs, got in kobes face, yelled at the refs again etc. Had he just got in Kobes face and let it go he gets a T and goes on. Byt the guy is a nutcase and had to continue and be restrained etc after numerous warnings. Not rocket science.

I didn't think so. I think he was wrong in going to talk to Kobe, but it's not that he went to him ready to punch him or anything. And by the time they got separated, he was already calm.
Obviously, that's when Joey 'respect my authoritah' came around and kicked him out.

Scola had enough time to get on both Odom and Walton's faces, and he didn't get anything more than a T. Same ref crew and everything.

cobbler
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
It was intentional, and should warrant a suspension, but I doubt the NBA has the sack to do that.

But, what it does do is draw attention to Kobe's punkish ways, and I doubt he gets away with much more as the series goes on....

It is enough to make me wish we had Bruce Bowen to slide his foot under Kobe's landing area on his jumpers.

DD

Then suspend ron for his "intentional" arm and elbow on Kobes shoulder, neck, and back of head too.

Or just let them man up and decide it on the court.

Friggen pussy Houston fans.

Dim Tuncan
05-07-2009, 11:42 AM
No, it does not warrant a suspension. Please don't be pussies, fellow Spurs fans.

Artest shouldn't have been ejected either.

Horrible officiating. But what do you expect from a convicted felon like Joey Crawford.

TheMACHINE
Never touched his face. In fact if you look at the video... tho only elbow that came close to anyones face...was Rons to Kobes just prior to Kobe throwing his. Give it a rest

it was actually on the Chest above the "R" according to ESPN.

monosylab1k
Initially it seemed pretty bad but looking at it this morning, it really wasn't all that bad. Still a very obvious foul tho, which didn't get called (typical). Artest's overreaction definitely made it seem worse. I don't even think he was really trying to send a message to Kobe when he got in his face, I think he was putting on a show for the refs to make it seem like Kobe was playing dirty.

That's the biggest misconception out there. He wasn't throat slashing. He was showing Kobe what he did to him. Even tho Kobe didn't really do that.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
No, it does not warrant a suspension.

Artest shouldn't have been ejected either.

Horrible officiating. But what do you expect from a convicted felon like Joey Crawford.

Once again, he got ejected because of the throat slash gesture

ElNono

Oh please. :rolleyes

ElNono
Once again, he got ejected because of the thraot slash

Give it up dude. We all know what he told kobe. The word throat or kill was not there.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Oh please. :rolleyes

its what ESPN reports. Write them a letter with "Oh Please" on it.

cobbler
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I didn't think so. I think he was wrong in going to talk to Kobe, but it's not that he went to him ready to punch him or anything. And by the time they got separated, he was already calm.
Obviously, that's when Joey 'respect my authoritah' came around and kicked him out.

Scola had enough time to get on both Odom and Walton's faces, and he didn't get anything more than a T. Same ref crew and everything.

he had to be restrained after they seperated him and kobe. Look... everyone knows if you are in a refs face.... and you don't back off... nothing good is going to come of it. Add to that, that it was Joey and you either be smart about it or you hit the showers. Artest may be a baller... but smart... he is NOT.

ElNono
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
its what ESPN reports. Write them a letter with "Oh Please" on it.

Then Joey didn't hear what Artest told Kobe. Not surprise there.
He shouldn't have been ejected.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Give it up dude. We all know what he told kobe. The word throat or kill was not there.

wtf are you talking about?

cobbler
05-07-2009, 11:47 AM
The irony of the whole thing is... he never got hit in the throat.

DaDakota
05-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Then suspend ron for his "intentional" arm and elbow on Kobes shoulder, neck, and back of head too.

None of those were tossing elbows, I refuse to believe you are this ignorant....well...maybe refuse is too big of a word for you to comprehend.

DD

ElNono
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
he had to be restrained after they seperated him and kobe. Look... everyone knows if you are in a refs face.... and you don't back off... nothing good is going to come of it. Add to that, that it was Joey and you either be smart about it or you hit the showers. Artest may be a baller... but smart... he is NOT.

So you're basically telling me that if the ref was not Joey Crawford he wouldn't have been ejected.
Thank you. That was exactly my point.

ElNono
05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
wtf are you talking about?

Artest told Kobe "Watch the elbows". That's all he said.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Artest told Kobe "Watch the elbows". That's all he said.

dude..i said he got ejected because he did the THROAT SLASHING gesture after the Crawford split them up. I didnt say ANYTHING about talking.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
None of those were tossing elbows, I refuse to believe you are this ignorant....well...maybe refuse is too big of a word for you to comprehend.

DD

Rockets definately knows what "refused" is since they've been "refusing" to get past the first road for the last decade.

urunobili
05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
IIRC Kobe hot suspended twice in the same season for elbowing... in 2007... one of them for elbowing Ginobili don't remember who was vitcim of the other one...

Stu... it seems Kobe didnt learn the lesson... first on Battier now on Artest on the same series? r u serious?

DrHouse
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
The truth is Spur fans HATE the Lakers. Anything they do, especially Kobe, will get magnified on this forum x1000.

Deep down they know Kobe's elbow wasn't a suspendable offense, hell they've got Bowen on their team who does far worse on a daily basis. Their hatred blinds them from rational analysis. You could post a video that shows Kobe not elbowing Artest and Artest flopping and they still wouldn't care. They are just haters.

ElNono
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
The truth is Spur fans HATE the Lakers. Anything they do, especially Kobe, will get magnified on this forum x1000.

Not really. Their fans is another story.

Indazone
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Artest is smart like a fox. People don't give him credit but he gets inside the opposing players head. Guarantee the reffing will be different throughout the rest of the series. So what if Ron got tossed. It sends a message to the league and to the Lakers about the dirty play. Now the spotlight is on the Lakers.

Phil Jackson and the rest of the Lakeshow are on notice and they have single handedly turned the rest of the country against them.

Phil pregame before game 2. "Sweep the Leg Johnny"

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7746/boys28tn.jpg

ElNono
05-07-2009, 12:09 PM
IIRC Kobe hot suspended twice in the same season for elbowing... in 2007... one of them for elbowing Ginobili don't remember who was vitcim of the other one...

Marko Jaric

benefactor
05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
As I said in the other thread(s), it was probably a double foul situation and a tech on Artest for continuing to jaw about it. As far as the elbow itself, it was obviously intentional and if I was a league official reviewing the tape I would probably fine him for it.

I see no reason for suspensions either way.

DrHouse
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
No, you HATE the Laker players.

Go read the threads on here. Every other post is about Kobe being a rapist or Fisher being a dirty ass bitch.

JBIIRockets
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM

This is the most idiotic retort I've ever seen.

Ron didn't apply any force when he had his elbow on Kobe's shoulder.

sexinthatsx
05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't see an issue here, kobe didn't do anything wrong... this man obviously has a knack for creating unnecessary motions, it's no big deal...
-just like when he flails his arms everytime someone strips the ball from him trying to flop and sell a foul
-or his follow through on his shot that happens to elbow a spurs player in a face
-or needing to squat twice before getting up, thus kneeing a rockets player in the face
-and in this case, using an elbow on a follow through to grab a rebound

That's the classy kobe I know!

Allanon
05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
This is the most idiotic retort I've ever seen.

Ron didn't apply any force when he had his elbow on Kobe's shoulder.

What are you talking about, clearly you see Kobe fall back like 6 inches as soon as Ron's elbow pushes down on Kobe's neck. You can tell the minute this happens because all of a sudden you can see Kobe's teeth when he grimaces.

You can see Ron Ron clearing rooting with his knee.

You also see the push with two hands on the back of Kobe's neck and Kobe goes down and forward at the beginning of the video.

Are you saying none of this was fouling?

urunobili
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM

Deep down they know Kobe's elbow wasn't a suspendable offense, hell they've got Bowen on their team who does far worse on a daily basis. Their hatred blinds them from rational analysis. You could post a video that shows Kobe not elbowing Artest and Artest flopping and they still wouldn't care. They are just haters.

EPIC FAIL

Kobe has been suspended more times than Bowen for dirty plays

ElNono

Go read the threads on here. Every other post is about Kobe being a rapist or Fisher being a dirty ass bitch.

I personally feel sorry for the players. The fact they've accomplished absolutely nothing since Shaq left the building surely is a very heavy burden on them.

eisfeld
Intentional? Yes
Suspension? No

That was part of a physical game, but Artest should not have been suspended.

DPG21920
05-07-2009, 12:29 PM

Same with Laker fans and Bowen. That is how you know the Spurs are truly the team of the decade. Everyone HATES them.

But most people respect the Spurs and their fans. Laker fans are very bandwagon (look at the movie stars in and out except for Jack) that is why they are despised. Along with their pitiful basketball IQ.

ElNono
05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Same with Laker fans and Bowen. That is how you know the Spurs are truly the team of the decade. Every HATES them.

But most people respect the Spurs and their fans. Laker fans are very bandwagon (look at the movie stars in and out except for Jack) that is why they are despised. Along with their pitiful basketball IQ.

Please. David Beckham is a hardcore Laker fan... :rolleyes

DPG21920
05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Ron obviously did not do a "throat slash". Watch the replay girls. He did the "he elbowed me in the throat motion". I know at first it looked like a throat slash, but when you watch the replay, in context, it clearly was not.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Ron obviously did not do a "throat slash". Watch the replay girls. He did the "he elbowed me in the throat motion". I know at first it looked like a throat slash, but when you watch the replay, in context, it clearly was not.

+ 1

The gesture he makes with his arm was a sharp elbow...before you knew what he was referring to ..it looked like a threat..
then the second time he doesn't slit his throat at all, he points to the throat area.

When I first saw it I thought "wtf is he doing??? Ron going crazy again??" I thought it was an ambiguous threat at best until Collins mentioned the throat.

Allanon
05-07-2009, 12:41 PM

I haven't been able to get a replay of that "throat slash" yet. But it seems like Ron didn't even get elbowed in the throat. Kobe's arm was too low.

I heard on the radio they had gone over the play time and again and there was no hit to the throat. So why was he signaling an elbow to the throat when he didn't get hit there.

Was this just a major flop by Ron Ron?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/reflexx/throat.jpg

DPG21920
05-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I haven't been able to get a replay of that "throat slash" yet. But it seems like Ron didn't even get elbowed in the throat. Kobe's arm was too low.

I heard on the radio they had gone over the play time and again and there was no hit to the throat. So why was he signaling an elbow to the throat when he didn't get hit there.

That is one screen shot and does not show the entire range of motion. Kobe clearly swung for his throat. Not a huge deal, but don't deny it.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
exactly..at first it looks like a threat...gg...ejection.

ElNono
05-07-2009, 12:45 PM

I didn't have any doubts when I saw it the first time. You could even see Ron saying "He hit me on my throat" to the ref.

That photo is before Kobe threw the elbow.

DPG21920
05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
LMAO at "join date" Allanon posting a still frame shot as evidence. That is like saying: "I am not a racist, here is a picture of me in a park with multiple ethnic people around".

Allanon
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I didn't have any doubts when I saw it the first time. You could even see Ron saying "He hit me on my throat" to the ref.

That photo is before Kobe threw the elbow.

Kobe never hit Ron in the throat. There are NO photos of a hit on the throat, I've combed the entire video.

The only elbow and throat contact in the entire video is Ron's elbow on Kobe's neck.

Hahah, notice that none of the Rocketfans can come up with a still of Kobe's elbow on Ron's neck. There ain't no such photo cuz it never happened.

ElNono
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Kobe never hit Ron in the throat. There are NO photos of a hit on the throat, I've combed the entire video.

No you didn't. And to be honest with you, if there's no photos it didn't happen?
Nice logic there, sonny.

iggypop123
05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
actually espn's chris sheridan saw another angle than the one is posting here and said he saw it , which the nba will see and it was in the chest

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
No you didn't. And to be honest with you, if there's no photos it didn't happen?
Nice logic there, sonny.

LOL...haha fool...i just saw it on ESPN..no throat hit. GTFO

mavs>spurs2
05-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Since you want to be such a hardass about it, let's just let Ron take Kobe out back and beat his ass. No? Well you're a pussy faker fan. Kobe should man up and decide it in the ring if he wants to throw blows.