PDA

View Full Version : A player Spurs could use.

Illusionarist
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
The Spurs are probably looking for a good defender without much money. One player that has really impressed me is Dimitris Diamantidis. He is from Greece and plays in Panathinaikos. His team has recenlty won the Final 4. He has also won a Mudobasket, Eurobasket, and 5fth place in the Olympic games with the Greek National Team. He has also hit some great shots too. Have a look at one of them against France. The game winning buzzerbeater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht68_-2R7XM&feature=related

The last years he is always the best Defender of The Year In Europe.He has also got good court vision,excellent stealing ability and rebounding. He is 2.00 meters and still he is a point guard. Pop could certainly use him. He could be an excellent role player.

And have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seA_wEZdX50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X6GWJaup0M

RodNIc91
05-07-2009, 06:13 PM
He also blocked my man Timmy, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbipPGGXUIk&feature=related

You know What, I would love to see some european prospects, i.e past draft picks and players from the euroleague being scouted by the spurs personnel and brought here to take a look at them. I've got a feeling that next year we are coming back way stronger

Bukefal
05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I've got a feeling that next year we are coming back way stronger

We will! And yeah, its a good thing for Spurs to focus on european players. There are many great players who the spurs could need. Maybe KBP can give us some more info on Dimitris?

raspsa
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
What kind of money would it take to sign him?

xellos88330
05-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't mind the Spurs looking at European players. Some of those men can flat out ball. The only thing that worries me is their obligation to their country. I don't really want international players because they don't seem to last too long due to all of the international ball they play.

SnakeBoy
05-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't really want international players because they don't seem to last too long due to all of the international ball they play.

Who cares about longevity? Timmy is done in a couple years and then we'll have to start over anyways.

Stump
05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Maybe KBP can give us some more info on Dimitris?
Ha! According to KBP, he's already received MLE offers from like forty different NBA teams.

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2009, 01:14 AM
david robinson is probably better than the bigs we currently have on the bench doing jackshit this season.....

symple19
05-08-2009, 02:02 AM
hmmmmm - no. After checking him out,(http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dimitris-Diamantidis-5113/) I think the Spurs can find an equal skill set right here at home. Besides, it would involve a huge buyout of his Greek contract. That money would be better spent on a guy like Trevor Ariza. I'm cool with Hill backing up at point, and if you bring in Ariza(an excellent defender with range and highlight reel athleticism) you get a guy who can create his own shot, which is what the spurs were (are) lacking.

Speaking of Europeans, any-1 know what the Spurs are doing about Tiago Splitter??

Check out upcoming Free Agents: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

duncan228
05-08-2009, 02:04 AM
...any-1 know what the Spurs are doing about Tiago Splitter??

There's some Splitter conversation in the Think Tank.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124679

symple19
05-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks!

kace
05-08-2009, 02:40 AM
this last minute shot probably prevented France to be european champion this year. Germany beat Spain by 1 in the other semi-finals. and France and greece easily beat respectively Spain (by + 30 !!) and Germany in their last game for the third and first place.

so, without this shot, we probably would have beaten the germany and get the title.

how far it seems now for the french NT. and though, only 3-4 years ago, with TP having 20 and 25 pts in the 2 last games.

Illusionarist
05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Look money could be a problem. However that guy is the Best Defender in Europe and one of the best players.. I am not saying he is the MVP or something. But he could really help us close some holes. I mean shouldn't the Spurs have a look at him? He is not a lopng term solution for role players but he could give 2 to 3 years of quality bench play.

jason1301
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
He is a bit slow for the NBA, plus when asked from the Greek Media in 2005 after Greece won European Gold and he said he is not interested in playing overseas.

I don't think much has changed 4 years later, other than he is older.

jason1301
05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
this last minute shot probably prevented France to be european champion this year. Germany beat Spain by 1 in the other semi-finals. and France and greece easily beat respectively Spain (by + 30 !!) and Germany in their last game for the third and first place.

so, without this shot, we probably would have beaten the germany and get the title.

how far it seems now for the french NT. and though, only 3-4 years ago, with TP having 20 and 25 pts in the 2 last games.

that was one the best basketball games i have ever seen, at least the last few minutes or so. You guys were up 7pts with <1min to go!!!

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
He is slow and not athletic. He would be SF in NBA. He is like what you call championship caliber role player. He would be perfect replacement for Bowen. He would be like non dirty version of Bowen but with very good ball handling skill.

So yes like a better version of Bowen. But he has always said over and over he will never play in NBA. I think he understands he cannot play point guard in NBA and he does not have the offense skills for NBA. He is sort of like a smaller version of Battier but I think he does not want that role as a player. he likes to be in Panathinaikos where he can play point guard maybe like 1/3 of the game.

He has one more year on his contract with PAO. If Spurs want him it would be for 2010 and he will for sure cost i think at least all of MLE. To replace Bowen Spurs can probably do no better than him really.

here is youtube

28W-LVGXJHk&fmtl=18

kace
05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
that was one the best basketball games i have ever seen, at least the last few minutes or so. You guys were up 7pts with <1min to go!!!

+7 with 40 secons left.

awful defense, a Gelabale foul who gave 3 FT, a TO, and TP and rigaudeau combined 3-6 at the FT line costed us the game in this last 40 seconds.

a lot of people were thinking a bright future was ahead the french NT then. too bad :depressed

hater
05-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Forget it. just sign Gist

rapliketp
05-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Look money could be a problem. However that guy is the Best Defender in Europe and one of the best players.. I am not saying he is the MVP or something. But he could really help us close some holes. I mean shouldn't the Spurs have a look at him? He is not a lopng term solution for role players but he could give 2 to 3 years of quality bench play.

spurs did take a look at him_ when they whooped his ass two years ago in a pre-season game.

timvp
05-09-2009, 02:18 AM
:td @ Dimitris Diamantidis

I thought he could have been a good NBA player ... until I saw him go up against NBA players in preseason games. Too small and too slow.