PDA

View Full Version : Rules Clarification

YODA
05-07-2009, 01:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4148285 (end of clip)

Would like some feed back on the rules. at the end of this clip, Kobe stops his dribble, then takes a step back, then steps foward and seems like he jumps in the air and throws ball off the back board to himself.

1. Wasnt this traveling???

2. I also thought it was illegal to pass the ball to yourself?

My first thought was it was travelign but it being kobe, he kets the extra step, but the pass to thimself just threw me off.

On a different rule concerning an ally oop pass. I have a problem with this, because the defender cant really tell if an ally oops pass is a pass or actual shot, thus, if he did jump for it, it could easily be consdered goal tending, makign the play close to unstoppable.
thoughts?

tp2021
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Pretty sure he kept his pivot foot.
I think it's only a self-pass if you release the ball and touch it again without someone else touching it, or it touching the backboard/rim.

fyatuk
05-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Would like some feed back on the rules. at the end of this clip, Kobe stops his dribble, then takes a step back, then steps foward and seems like he jumps in the air and throws ball off the back board to himself.

My first thought was it was travelign but it being kobe, he kets the extra step, but the pass to thimself just threw me off.

On a different rule concerning an ally oop pass. I have a problem with this, because the defender cant really tell if an ally oops pass is a pass or actual shot, thus, if he did jump for it, it could easily be consdered goal tending, makign the play close to unstoppable.
thoughts?

It is illegal to pass it to yourself, however, passing off the backboard is not really considered a pass. IIRC, it's considered a missed shot and a rebound.

You're pretty much right on the Alley oop thing. You can't play the ball on those plays, until it's clear there's no way it's going in. That's why most broken up oops are broken up at the receiver catching the ball.

YODA
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM
So there really is no rules concerning an ally oop?

D-ROB 50
05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Why dont more players alley oop to themselves off the backboard then?

fyatuk
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
So there really is no rules concerning an ally oop?

Not as far as I know. The goaltending rule includes some about if the shot is obviously not going in (still can't be above the cylinder even if it's obviously not going in though), but until an ally oop becomes obvious it won't go in the basket, I don't think a defensive player can touch it coming down.

Why dont more players alley oop to themselves off the backboard then?

It's not an easy play to make in traffic. It doesn't happen in normal gameplay at least a few times a year in the NBA though, and more often in College. It's like inbounding to yourself by bouncing it off an opposing player. It's perfectly legal, it can be done, but an appropriate situation just doesn't come up very often.

GSH
05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
It was a legal play, even though it seems like it should not be. If the ball hits the rim or backboard, he can be the first one to catch it. I think there is supposed to be an actual shot attempt, and Kobe wasn't really trying to shoot. But as long as the ball hits the rim or backboard, he's covered. Basically, the refs won't try to determine his intent.

This is from a Q&A with Bernie Fryer, the VP of Referee Operations:

On a fast break play, can you dribble up to your front court, throw the ball up in the air (ball never touches any part of the rim or backboard), and catch it in mid-air for an alley-oop to yourself?
Bernie's Answer: It's possible, but maybe not the way you meant. A player could not toss the ball to himself with a high arch, run under it, and then make an alley-oop without the ball first touching the rim or backboard. This is traveling. However, the player could toss the ball to himself if it is part of a single shooting motion to end his dribble. For example, a player could gather and toss the ball up with his first step, jump off a legal second step, and then catch the ball in the air and make the basket. This is technically no different from changing hands while airborne.

z0sa
05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
passing off the backboard to yourself is fine, most players don't do it because they're just not good enough to get it back.

CubanSucks
05-07-2009, 09:10 PM

thoughts?

That's a good point

tp2021
05-07-2009, 10:14 PM
However, the player could toss the ball to himself if it is part of a single shooting motion to end his dribble. For example, a player could gather and toss the ball up with his first step, jump off a legal second step, and then catch the ball in the air and make the basket. This is technically no different from changing hands while airborne.

Huh. I did not know that. I'd like to see that in a game.

Though not against my old-ass, unathletic Spurs, of course.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-07-2009, 11:03 PM
It's not traveling. His left foot is his pivot foot. He keeps it down. He steps back then forward with his right foot. Then he jumps off both feet. Still no traveling. Then he tosses the ball up against the backboard, and goes and catches it on the bounce. That's legal too. As long as the ball hits another player or the backboard or the rim, the player can go get it and it's a new possession.

on the alley-oop: If it's judged a shot that's possible to go in, a defender can't touch it on the way down (or once it's hit the backboard). Otherwise it's goaltending. The offensive player can't touch it once it's above the cylinder.

Yuixafun
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
On a fast break play, can you dribble up to your front court, throw the ball up in the air (ball never touches any part of the rim or backboard), and catch it in mid-air for an alley-oop to yourself?
Bernie's Answer: It's possible, but maybe not the way you meant. A player could not toss the ball to himself with a high arch, run under it, and then make an alley-oop without the ball first touching the rim or backboard. This is traveling. However, the player could toss the ball to himself if it is part of a single shooting motion to end his dribble. For example, a player could gather and toss the ball up with his first step, jump off a legal second step, and then catch the ball in the air and make the basket. This is technically no different from changing hands while airborne.

And if he caught it and put in between his legs, the crowd would wild. To see that in a tight playoff game off a fast break steal?