PDA

View Full Version : E-N: After Their Early Boot, Spurs Focus On Next Season

duncan228
05-07-2009, 01:19 PM
After their early boot, Spurs focus on next season (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/After_their_early_boot_Spurs_focus_on_next_season. html)
Miguel A. Castro - Conexión

Suffering their earliest exit in the postseason since 2000, the Spurs hope to use the long summer to reinvigorate their championship franchise.

And fresh off their dismal first-round, five-game series performance against the Dallas Mavericks, the Silver and Black could use the extra time off even if they weren't counting on it.

To avoid a similar scenario next season and to contend for a fifth NBA title, the Spurs will look to use three second-round draft picks and some leeway in their budget to get the Big Three some much-needed help.

“I don't think at all we are over,” said point guard Tony Parker. “I think with a healthy Manu Ginobili and a couple changes in our role players, we will be right back for another run.”

That is, of course, with the hopes that Ginobili fully recovers from his ankle injury, Tim Duncan rests his banged-up knees and Parker avoids hurting himself this summer while playing for the French national team.

Together the trio played a vital role in carrying the team through a tumultuous season filled with injuries and obstacles and ending with a 54-23 record and a Southwest Division title.

“We're all disappointed when we don't win the whole thing,” coach Gregg Popovich said of his team's finish. “But it can't go without notice that these guys did one hell of a job this year, and I'm really proud of them.”

Also on the Spurs' already extensive offseason to-do list is determining the fate of four unrestricted free agents — Ime Udoka, Jacque Vaughn, Drew Gooden and Michael Finley, who can still exercise his final-year option.

Regardless, the Spurs are eager to return to championship form.

“When you've had the taste of the best of the best and you remember how that feels to be holding that trophy at the end of the Finals, it's a great feeling,” guard Bruce Bowen said. “It's also a feeling you long for again.”

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, the F.O. needs to make good on their promise and really clean house this summer. Next season should be a "growing pains" season for the Spurs.

D-ROB 50
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree with pop the guys played hard this year. I will never forget the way Timmy played in the 4th qtr. of game 5, there was absolutly no quit in his eyes. At one point the game was pretty much out of hand and Duncan was working harder than any other spur on the court. I told my fourteen year old son, who does'nt watch much basketball, to sit down and learn the meaning of not being a quitter. In my opinion the ones to blame for the season are the brains in th FO and shadey line-ups by pop.

mytespurs
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Also on the Spurs' already extensive offseason to-do list is determining the fate of four unrestricted free agents — Ime Udoka, Jacque Vaughn, Drew Gooden and Michael Finley, who can still exercise his final-year option.

Okay, so which if any of these 4 should be retained? I vote none but I'll leave debate to more knowledgeable folks about their pluses/minuses. :hat

Thomas82
05-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Okay, so which if any of these 4 should be retained? I vote none but I'll leave debate to more knowledgeable folks about their pluses/minuses. :hat

If I kept any one of them it would be Drew Gooden. He's the youngest out of all of them.

mytespurs
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM
If I kept any one of them it would be Drew Gooden. He's the youngest out of all of them.

I agree about Gooden. He has a lot of upside. I don't know about those others. I think Finley has run his course. At least he has a championship; that better than a lot of current and former superstars can say.

manustarting2gd
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Definitely a no to jacque vaughn and michael finley. Time to reload and they are blank guns. Sorry Mike, your paid homie, enjoy that ring. Jacque, slide over a few chairs and put on a suit.

No to Ime Udoka, he played his ass off in the playoffs, although still very robotic, he seemed to find some WD-40 somewhere in the back of his locker. Still would lean toward cutting him somehow.

Undecided. Im up in the air about to Drew Gooden, depends if the price is right like bob barker said. he can definitely add to the team and noted he is a decent inside scorer, his d is average at best. On his behalf, he did come in late in the season and definitely tried to learn the plays from the vids we saw after practice with G. Hill.

What u think?

Blackjack
05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, the F.O. needs to make good on their promise and really clean house this summer. Next season should be a "growing pains" season for the Spurs.

As a Spurs fan, you've got to hope for another '03-type run.

It was clearly thought to be a transition year, Jack was given the chance to grow into the player they would later depend on in the playoffs-the elusive diamond in the rough- and the team's depth and continuity developed in a way they couldn't have foreseen, before the season started.

In other words, lightning needs to strike twice.

Hey, it's happened with the draft lottery.:smokin

The Truth #6
05-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Playing the same old farts has run it's course. They have to take a chance on youth. But that's what I thought last year so who knows. I'll expect more Finley until proven otherwise. The Spurs team may change but Pop doesn't. That much is certain.