PDA

View Full Version : Artest's chair leg stabbing story was real

JayJaay
05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/15/nyregion/player-dies-in-stabbing-at-basketball-game.html

Player Dies in Stabbing at Basketball Game
AP
Published: Monday, April 15, 1991

A 19-year-old basketball player from Queens was fatally stabbed with a broken-off table leg today after a fight broke out during a basketball tournament, the police said.

The player, Lloyd Newton, was stabbed in the back with a leg from the scorer's table at the championship game of a Y.M.C.A.-sponsored tournament at the Niagara Falls Boys and Girls Club, the police in Niagara Falls said.

"An argument ensued about the score," Capt. Louis Curcione said, adding that one of the teams "thought they were getting gypped."

"A fight broke out between the players and about 40 fans in the stands," he said. "In the course of the fight, one person was stabbed in the back."

Mr. Newton was taken to the Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Brian C. Young, 16, of Niagara Falls, has been charged with second-degree murder. He was being held at the Niagara Falls jail pending his arraignment in city court today.

sexinthatsx
05-07-2009, 03:00 PM
haha wow dude, good find!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
:tu nice

I'm confirmed as a Ron Artest fan. He's not a bullshitter. He means what he says, even if he may be a crazy cat.

JamStone
05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Did Ron say that this happened to a kid from his neighborhood? Or did he say it happened in his neighborhood? I can't remember. Maybe I'm making assumptions, but it seemed like Ron was telling a story of a kid on his basketball team while he (Artest) was playing, but maybe that's just an assumption.

Just a few things though. Artest would have been 11 years old. And, it happened at Niagara Falls in a Boys & Girls Club, not in Queens and not at an outdoor court like Rucker Park. Not that Ron was lying at all, but I just kind of envisioned the fight breaking out at Rucker Park and Artest being involved in the fight.

MiamiHeat
05-07-2009, 04:48 PM
lmao

lurker
05-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I was dying when he told that story. It was just so random.

BUMP
05-07-2009, 05:09 PM
:lmao

Spursfan092120
05-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I KNEW IT!! I posted in a thread last night that it was probably real, being that he grew up in Queens. Even me, in a small Texas town had a gun pulled on me because I was white, playing basketball in the "wrong neighborhood."

Spursfan092120
05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Did Ron say that this happened to a kid from his neighborhood? Or did he say it happened in his neighborhood? I can't remember. Maybe I'm making assumptions, but it seemed like Ron was telling a story of a kid on his basketball team while he (Artest) was playing, but maybe that's just an assumption.

Just a few things though. Artest would have been 11 years old. And, it happened at Niagara Falls in a Boys & Girls Club, not in Queens and not at an outdoor court like Rucker Park. Not that Ron was lying at all, but I just kind of envisioned the fight breaking out at Rucker Park and Artest being involved in the fight.
He said it was a friend of his, but didn't say he was playing with them.

angelbelow
05-07-2009, 06:11 PM
wow, thats fucking legit