PDA

View Full Version : Official: Derick Fisher has been suspended for Game 3

Tacker
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Alston And Fisher Suspended For Game 3

May 07, 2009 5:37 PM EST

Rafer Alston of the Orlando Magic and Derek Fisher of the Los Angeles Lakers have each been suspended one game without pay for their roles in separate incidents last night, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations Stu Jackson announced on Thursday.

Alston has been suspended for swinging and making contact with the head of Eddie House of the Boston Celtics with 48.6 seconds remaining in the third period of the Magic’s 112-94 loss to the Celtics in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals last night at TD Banknorth Garden.

Fisher has been suspended for striking Houston’s Luis Scola with his shoulder and head with 13.2 seconds remaining in the third period of the Lakers’ 111-98 win last night over the visiting Houston Rockets in Game 2 of the Western Conference Semifinals at STAPLES Center. Fisher received a Flagrant Foul Penalty Two and was ejected from the game at the time of the play.

Jackson also announced that the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant has been assessed a Flagrant Foul Penalty One for elbowing Houston’s Ron Artest in the chest area with 6:57 remaining in the fourth period of last night’s game.

Alston will serve his suspension on Friday when the Magic hosts the Celtics at Amway Arena. Fisher also will serve his suspension on Friday when the Lakers visit the Rockets at Toyota Center.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2009, 05:44 PM
thanks for writing up that report

Spursfan092120
05-07-2009, 05:47 PM
lol @ DrHouse... "no one will be suspended..fucking morons.."

ChumpDumper
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Lakers' Fisher, Magic's Alston each suspended for a game

By Official release
Posted May 7 2009 5:41PM

Rafer Alston of the Orlando Magic and Derek Fisher of the Los Angeles Lakers have each been suspended one game without pay for their roles in separate incidents last night, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations Stu Jackson announced Thursday.

Alston has been suspended for swinging and making contact with the head of Eddie House of the Boston Celtics with 48.6 seconds remaining in the third period of the Magic's 112-94 loss to the Celtics in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinals Wednesday night at TD Banknorth Garden.

Fisher has been suspended for striking Houston's Luis Scola with his shoulder and head with 13.2 seconds remaining in the third period of the Lakers' 111-98 win Wednesday over the visiting Houston Rockets in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals at Staples Center. Fisher received a Flagrant Foul Penalty Two and was ejected from the game at the time of the play.

Jackson also announced that the Lakers' Kobe Bryant has been assessed a Flagrant Foul Penalty One for elbowing Houston's Ron Artest in the chest area with 6:57 remaining in the fourth period of Wednesday night's game.

Alston will serve his suspension on Friday when the Magic hosts the Celtics at Amway Arena. Fisher also will serve his suspension on Friday when the Lakers visit the Rockets at Toyota Center.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/05/07/suspensions/index.html

tomtom
05-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow I wonder what the Magic are gonna do in that game now. I'm sure they won't want Anthony Johnson leading the way the whole time. I imagine they might let Lee take most of the point minutes, if hes back by then

LnGrrrR
05-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Wow I wonder what the Magic are gonna do in that game now. I'm sure they won't want Anthony Johnson leading the way the whole time. I imagine they might let Lee take most of the point minutes, if hes back by then

Lose, I'm hoping. :)

21_Blessings
05-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Thank you Stu Jackson. This basically ensures a game 3 Lakers victory since Phil Jackson won't be able to sub in Fisher.

tomtom
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Then again this might rejuvenate Turk. I'm thinking they'll have him play point forward like they did alot during the regular season, he's got decent enough skills

porscha
05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
“It’s clear in our rules that we treat elbow contact above the shoulder area differently than we do other parts of the body,” NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said on a conference call.

QrkkDgh_zMo

I just realized that manu's neck is below his shoulder!!!!!!!:wow:wow:bang:bang

Whisky Dog
05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I think the NBA got it right. Fisher and Alston were obvious suspensions while Kobe was borderline. I think an argument can be made for suspending him, but to me it was a dirty shot in the heat of a physical jockying for position and although the elbow was intentional I don't know if he meant to catch him in the throat. Seemed like a frustration move during physical play other than premeditated bullshit like Fisher, Howard, and Alston's.

Indazone
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
And now from the Houston Chronicle

Lakers guard Fisher suspended for Game 3

By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

May 7, 2009, 7:57PM

Let’s get ready to rumble?
Already?
In just two games, the Rockets’ series with the Lakers has flashed forward to the tensions and passions that usually arrive around Game 6, and moved back to the style of the ‘80s, when blood spilled and bodies crashed.
Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant called it "fun." The NBA office did not seem amused, acting swiftly following Wednesday’s Main Events.
Lakers guard Derek Fisher was given a one-game suspension for his Flagrant Foul Penalty-Two of Rockets forward Luis Scola. Bryant was assessed a retroactive Flagrant Foul Penalty One for hitting Artest with an elbow, prompting Artest to run at Bryant and earn a fourth-quarter ejection.
Bryant will not be fined, though four flagrant foul points in the playoffs earn an automatic one-game suspension, making the ruling little more than a warning that he should not do it again, and again, and again.
Rockets coach Rick Adelman argued that Fisher should have been penalized more, but had no objection to the ruling on Bryant. Artest, however, was visibly angry that Bryant was not suspended.
"I thought above the shoulders was a game (suspension), but I guess you can throw elbows above the shoulders," Artest said. "I think Stu (Jackson, the NBA vice president) needs to re-look at that. When you look at that elbow, if that was me throwing that elbow at Kobe, first of all I would have hurt Kobe way more than he hurt me. I probably would have knocked him out with the same force he used on me. Second, it’s dangerous.
"That shows me, if Kobe hits me with an elbow, I can just get hit. That just goes to show what type of person Stu Jackson is. I got suspended for a lighter elbow in San Antonio (in the 2006 first round). Maybe David Stern needs to talk to Stu Jackson. It’s not fair. He just got a flagrant-1?"
Jackson said that Bryant received the flagrant foul penalty for "unnecessary contact" but that it happened while fighting for position for a rebound rather than separate from the competition. The penalty was not more severe, Jackson said, because he ruled that Artest was struck in the chest, rather than in the neck as Artest had alleged.
"It’s not cut and dry," Jackson said. "Certainly players have hit the head with an elbow we have not suspended because we thought it was inadvertent or part of basketball play that was unavoidable. On this play, if he made contact with his head area, we’d be evaluating it on a different level.
"It’s certainly clear in our rules. We treat elbow contact above shoulder area differently than other parts of the body."
Jackson said he agreed with the ruling on the court to eject Artest "to not risk further incident."
Adelman, however, was angrier about the Fisher foul and the penalty that he considered to be too lenient penalty than he was about Bryant’s elbow.
"That’s pretty amazing," Adelman said. "You slap a guy in the back of the head (as Orlando’s Rafer Alston did on Wednesday to earn the same one-game suspension) or you take somebody’s head off and it’s the same punishment. It makes no sense to me.
"It was a malicious play and I’m shocked because I always admired Derek Fisher. I’m shocked at the severity of the way he went after it. If he hit him in the wrong spot, he could have broken his jaw. There’s no excuse for anybody doing that. I was shocked by it."
He said he thought the Bryant foul could be "argued one way or the other. They were wrapped up under the basket. I’d just as soon let it go."
He also wanted the series to move past the sideshows.
In just two games, there have been five technical fouls, three bloodied players, two ejections, two flagrant fouls, a suspension and one spectacular, profane Jack Nicholson tantrum in which he all but shouted that official Bill Spooner was messing "with the wrong Marine."
"It’s really up to both teams to go out and play the game," Adelman said. "All the stuff that went last night is over with.
"It amazes me how we became such a physical team in two games. We’re just going out playing hard. They can talk all they want about physical. I’ve never heard our team described as being physical. That’s a new term for us. Our guys have walked around all pumped up. We just went out to play the game the way we have to play it. We play hard."
In other words, Don’t mess with Texas? It would seem a little early for that, but things have already moved rapidly just two games into the second round.
"All of a sudden, we are the ‘bully’ Rockets," Shane Battier said of the rhetoric of the post-season. "In the last two weeks, we morphed into the bully, physical, tough as nails Rockets.
"I think there was a feeling it was going to be an easy series, a nice 4-0 sweep and we were going to be a skid mark on the Lakers’ victory parade. Game 1 showed them; hey we’re not a bad team. We can do some things." And to think, this series has only just begun.

21_Blessings
05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I think the NBA got it right. Fisher and Alston were obvious suspensions while Kobe was borderline. I think an argument can be made for suspending him, but to me it was a dirty shot in the heat of a physical jockying for position and although the elbow was intentional I don't know if he meant to catch him in the throat. Seemed like a frustration move during physical play other than premeditated bullshit like Fisher, Howard, and Alston's.

No it wasn't borderline. Kobe's elbow would never be a suspension under any circumstance.

Rogue
05-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Rafer Alston also got suspended for game 3 of the series played by Magic and Celtics.

DrHouse
05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Under no circumstances would Kobe's elbow ever be anything close to warranting a suspension in the NBA. Anyone who THINKS otherwise hasn't been around very long.

Imposter Cleaner
05-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Under no circumstances would Kobe's elbow ever be anything close to warranting a suspension in the NBA. Anyone who THINKS otherwise hasn't been around very long.
Kobe Bryant is beyond the restriction of law, he could sneak from justice even when the evidence were more than enough to solidify his commitment of a rape.

angelbelow
05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Kobe Bryant is beyond the restriction of law, he could sneak from justice even when the evidence were more than enough to solidify his commitment of a rape.

youre fucking retarded.

KSeal
05-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Still LMAO @ Scola, dude got straight wrecked, even though he added a little flop in there he still got his shit owned by a 65 year old man 9 inches shorter and about 80 pounds lighter then him hahahahahahahahaha

BigVee
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Still LMAO @ Scola, dude got straight wrecked, even though he added a little flop in there he still got his shit owned by a 65 year old man 9 inches shorter and about 80 pounds lighter then him hahahahahahahahaha

Yes a very brave move by the phoniest guy in the NBA. Fisher is a gutless coward.

pauls931
05-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Good, time fisher pays a little for his retro Ron Harper defense.

lefty
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I think SVG should play Hedo as Point Forward

Whisky Dog
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM

You're dead wrong. He has a history of throwing cheap shots while trying to make it look intentional and got suspended for the one on Manu a while back, so it was definitely borderline. A role player with a history of doing that probably gets suspended for it even though I don't think they should. Don't be a dumbass - you know his name saved him here.

TheMACHINE
05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
You're dead wrong. He has a history of throwing cheap shots while trying to make it look intentional and got suspended for the one on Manu a while back, so it was definitely borderline. A role player with a history of doing that probably gets suspended for it even though I don't think they should. Don't be a dumbass - you know his name saved him here.

According to players and coaches, what Kobe did is very normal. Ron Artest just highlighted it cuz he complained about it.

KSeal
05-10-2009, 01:49 AM
In a way it kinda sucks Fisher is coming back. Time for Brooks to drop 35 on the old man. I'd rather just see Farmar and Brown in the rotation with the way they've been playing lately and who they're trying to stop, just let Fisher coach from the bench.