PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Star Trek tonight

LnGrrrR
05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I'll let you guys know how it was when I get back, if my wife lets me on. :D

Note: I will comment on it from two angles... 'everyday viewer' watching the movie, and 'Star Trek geek' watching the movie.

BlackSwordsMan
05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

Trainwreck2100
05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
yeah we needed another star trek thread

MaNuMaNiAc
05-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I just saw it and I thought it was quite decent. The music sucked though. Can't beat the original music by a long shot. I thought the special effects were great, Cpt. Kirk was spot on and so was Spock. Ofcourse, you can't beat Leonard Nemoy as Spock but I thought Quinto did a remarkable job of trying. Overall, I like where the franchise is going.

lefty
05-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Who want to watch the Piece of Shit ????? :wtf

fraga
05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Who want to watch the Piece of Shit ????? :wtf

Is that even English...

ORION
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah we needed another star trek thread

TW your sig is hilarious. Just imagine that chick leaving her house and making one last look in the mirror and saying to herself "I look good"

LnGrrrR
05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Pretty damn good, I must say. As mentioned above, can't do better on Kirk, and Spock, Uhura and the rest were all wonderfully cast/acted.

I loved the in-jokes as well, the best of which belonged to the red shirt.

The only slow part was when Kirk and Spock were gearing up for their plan... apart from that, I thought it moved pretty quickly.

My wife, who's not much of a sci-fi fan, and has watched only 1 or 2 of the original shows, thought it was ok. She gave it a 7, I'd give it a 9.

jacobdrj
05-07-2009, 11:33 PM
2 thumbs up...

:toast

I am betting they make a sequel or 2...

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
i hate supporting a movie with Tyler Perry in it. but it was good

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2009, 12:56 AM
TW your sig is hilarious. Just imagine that chick leaving her house and making one last look in the mirror and saying to herself "I look good"

She probably thought she did look good, she had a guy hanging out with her all night long

PakiDan
05-08-2009, 01:55 AM
I saw it on Imax tonight. I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT! I was a little worried about this one... but over all it was well cast, well written, and well directed. Just wished they would have worked the ewoks in somewhere.

lefty
05-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Is that even English...

So I forgot an "s" and something else, big deal :lmao

lefty
05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I have to say though, Quinto as Spoke seems to be a good choice

Blake
05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
if some random dude wearing a red shirt doesn't get killed in this movie, then I automatically give it two :td :td

LnGrrrR
05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I saw it on Imax tonight. I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT! I was a little worried about this one... but over all it was well cast, well written, and well directed. Just wished they would have worked the ewoks in somewhere.

When that little mechanic guy was running down the hallway, I turned to my friend and said, "Wonder if it's an Ewok..." lol

LnGrrrR
05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
if some random dude wearing a red shirt doesn't get killed in this movie, then I automatically give it two :td :td

He does, and it's so obvious he will get killed that as soon as I saw him, my friends and I started laughing way too loudly :D

Jacob1983
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I saw it last night and I enjoyed it. I was way better than Wolverine. I was surprised that this Star Trek was so good and entertaining. The story in this Star Trek was clever and unique in my opinion. And the original music from the original series is played at the end of the movie during the credits.

Findog
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
It was good, not great. Not as good as Wrath of Khan, but definitely an upper-tier Trek movie in the class of First Contact, Undiscovered Country and Voyage Home (which I've never really liked but I have to give it its props in terms of appealing to a broader audience).

First, the bad:

- Nero and the Romulans are underwritten and don't get a lot of screen time. I understand and appreciate that they didn't want to bore me to tears for 4 hours and respect my time, unlike the makers of The Watchmen and The Dark Knight. Right at about 2 hours, the movie moves at a pretty brisk pace, and there's not a lot of fat in it. Almost every scene advances the story in some way. Still, it would've been nice to have a few more scenes with character moments to flesh out the villains.

- The final confrontation with Nero and the Romulans is where the film is the weakest and veers into standard Hollywood blockbuster fare. I've seen enough of these kind of sequences where it just ends up being about blowing shit up, and there's no dramatic tension. Trek has always been about the judicious use of action and special effects. In some ways this movie is a noisy spectacle.

- I think the drawback of the Origin Story is that it ends up feeling too short and the movie ends too soon, when you want to spend more time with these characters.

- Much has been made about the alternative timeline and the time travel aspect of the story, which I think is ultimately necessary if they want narrative freedom to explore these characters again and not be bound to what has already taken place in the original series and movies. There's one truly bad scene where this is explained exposition-wise, in such an awkward and clumsy way that it feels very meta and it's almost as if the actors are breaking the fourth wall. There is also one event in this movie that forever alters Star Trek continuity and is a profound change from what we have seen before. I won't say what it is, you'll just have to see for yourself. I still don't know how I feel about it.

The performances are all pretty good, it is an economic and efficient movie in moving the story along, it looks great cinematography-wise, etc. I think most of its flaws are in the format of the Origin Story itself. The main purpose of this movie was to have these characters on the Bridge of the Enterprise at the end. They did that. Hopefully the creative team behind it won't give us a bloated, pseudo-philosophical mess like Dark Knight for the sequel.

LnGrrrR
05-08-2009, 05:24 PM
It was good, not great. Not as good as Wrath of Khan, but definitely an upper-tier Trek movie in the class of First Contact, Undiscovered Country and Voyage Home (which I've never really liked but I have to give it its props in terms of appealing to a broader audience).

First, the bad:

- Nero and the Romulans are underwritten and don't get a lot of screen time. I understand and appreciate that they didn't want to bore me to tears for 4 hours and respect my time, unlike the makers of The Watchmen and The Dark Knight. Right at about 2 hours, the movie moves at a pretty brisk pace, and there's not a lot of fat in it. Almost every scene advances the story in some way. Still, it would've been nice to have a few more scenes with character moments to flesh out the villains.

Honestly, I was kind of glad for that. I thought Nero wasn't well acted... but that could be because I hate Eric Bana in pretty much every movie.

- The final confrontation with Nero and the Romulans is where the film is the weakest and veers into standard Hollywood blockbuster fare. I've seen enough of these kind of sequences where it just ends up being about blowing shit up, and there's no dramatic tension. Trek has always been about the judicious use of action and special effects. In some ways this movie is a noisy spectacle.

Agreed. That was the only slow/out of place part, I think.

- I think the drawback of the Origin Story is that it ends up feeling too short and the movie ends too soon, when you want to spend more time with these characters.

Origin stories always are seemingly like that though. Given the good length of the film, they got the characters down pat I'd say.

- Much has been made about the alternative timeline and the time travel aspect of the story, which I think is ultimately necessary if they want narrative freedom to explore these characters again and not be bound to what has already taken place in the original series and movies. There's one truly bad scene where this is explained exposition-wise, in such an awkward and clumsy way that it feels very meta and it's almost as if the actors are breaking the fourth wall. There is also one event in this movie that forever alters Star Trek continuity and is a profound change from what we have seen before. I won't say what it is, you'll just have to see for yourself. I still don't know how I feel about it.

Agreed about the fourth wall thing, but I can KINDA see why they did it. American audiences can be dumb, plus a good majority might not know the Trek back story.

The performances are all pretty good, it is an economic and efficient movie in moving the story along, it looks great cinematography-wise, etc. I think most of its flaws are in the format of the Origin Story itself. The main purpose of this movie was to have these characters on the Bridge of the Enterprise at the end. They did that. Hopefully the creative team behind it won't give us a bloated, pseudo-philosophical mess like Dark Knight for the sequel.

Thank goodness. Someone else who finds the Dark Knight pretentious, or in the words of Peter Griffin, "shallow and pedantic". :)

Findog, what are some other movies you like? Curious to see if they match up with ones I enjoy. If so, I'll have to hit you up for movie ideas.

FaithInOne
05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Awesome movie.

I enjoy The Next Generation but have never been able to sit through the other versions.

Findog
05-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Honestly, I was kind of glad for that. I thought Nero wasn't well acted... but that could be because I hate Eric Bana in pretty much every movie.

I just feel like adventure stories always benefit from having a strong villain. Nero is a step up from "V'ger" and the Alien Probe, but other than that, he's kind of forgettable. I do love how they pitted Kirk and Spock against each other when they first meet at Starfleet Academy. I loved how their rivalry develops and they reluctanty learn to trust and work together after loathing each other from first sight.

Thank goodness. Someone else who finds the Dark Knight pretentious, or in the words of Peter Griffin, "shallow and pedantic". :)

When I look at movies like the Dark Knight and Watchmen, I can see that a lot of thought and effort went into it, and a lot of intelligence is displayed. But it's just not interesting to me, and both of those movies are loaded to the gills with fat and unnecessary footage that does nothing to advance the plot. The only thing that makes the Dark Knight watchable for me is Ledger's performance. They can still ponder their "deep themes" in two hours instead of three and a half.

As for Watchmen, I know they wanted to include every important element from the novel, but in order to really do that, it would take 5-6 hours of footage. The original story was not meant to be digested in a two-hour sitting. It would've probably worked better as a tv miniseries, and it too wore its pretentiousness on its sleeve. Just a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. I'm glad that Abrams took a much different track with Trek and turned in a much more efficient movie, but the pace is fast enough that I think the movie could've benefited from a slower section or two to flesh out some of the characters more. As a Trek glutton, I could've sat for another half hour.

Findog, what are some other movies you like? Curious to see if they match up with ones I enjoy. If so, I'll have to hit you up for movie ideas.

I'll just copy and paste from my facebook:

Empire Strikes Back, Wrath of Khan, Hud, Chinatown, Tigerland, Idiocracy, Office Space, Big Lebowski, The Bourne Trilogy, North by Northwest, Usual Suspects, Anchorman, Goodfellas, No Country for Old Men, The Quiet American, Rushmore, LA Confidential, Donnie Darko, In the Company of Men, Touch of Evil, Manchurian Candidate, Full Metal Jacket, Bottle Rocket, Royal Tenenbaums, Far From Heaven, Punch Drunk Love, About A Boy, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, DiG!, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, The Way Of The Gun, I'm Not There, Election, High Fidelity, Slacker, Dazed And Confused, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Serenity Firefly

Agreed about the fourth wall thing, but I can KINDA see why they did it. American audiences can be dumb, plus a good majority might not know the Trek back story.

SPOILER ALERT
The more I was thinking about the destruction of Vulcan, the more I realized that if they are going to have the narrative freedom to explore these characters again, then they need to have something different about this new universe and timeline. For instance, in this new timeline, Spock cannot die aboard the Enterprise fighting Khan; there is no Vulcan to take him to anymore to regenerate his body. So in this timeline they do something different than fight Khan.

This movie also bonds Spock and Kirk together in a new and interesting way, in that they both lose a parent to Nero. Otherwise, the only thing Nero has altered is Kirk's childhood by killing his father.

pooh
05-09-2009, 06:08 AM
I went yesterday afternoon. It was a good movie but I was bummed at the time line and everything. And I have heard about all this "parallel universe" and all that but it's like "ok the three TV years and six movies feature this crew is now just nothing and that's not right.

That was the one thing that bugged me. Other than that, I enjoyed the new actors playing the legendary roles, although the one playing Chekov, over did it in my opinion.

Wild Cobra
05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
The biggest problem I had with it was the age of the characters. It doesn't match the age differences in the original Star Trek. I can deal with the alternate lime line, but you would think it should have been corrected to keep continuity.

Let's see. Kirk was suppose to be in his mid 30's, Bones and Scotty, late 40's early 50's?

Other wise, great flick.

LnGrrrR
05-09-2009, 07:15 PM
The biggest problem I had with it was the age of the characters. It doesn't match the age differences in the original Star Trek. I can deal with the alternate lime line, but you would think it should have been corrected to keep continuity.

Let's see. Kirk was suppose to be in his mid 30's, Bones and Scotty, late 40's early 50's?

Other wise, great flick.

It wasn't actually that far off. Kirk was probably early 20's in this flick. Spock doesn't age like humans, so who knows how old he was. Probably 30's or so. And McCoy didn't look like he was 20... he talked about a divorce as if he'd be around a bit. I'd say he was about mid-30's. And Chekhov and Sulu were both pretty young.

samikeyp
05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Just came back from seeing it. :tu :tu

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Caught it last night and really enjoyed the movie.

Am not a fan of the exposition scene in the middle -- feels way too forced and detracts (to me) from what was otherwise a good story. I'd rather that they have shown the characters figuring things out for themselves and have the ultimate relationship-building punchline come from that effort.

I thought the guy cast to play McCoy had a good grasp on DeForrest Kelly's speaking cadence and did a good job of staying loyal to it. The Scotty was a bit over the top, but nice comic relief. The ascension of the various crew members to such high profile positions in such short order, while necessary, seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Nice drops of a few nods to the old series.

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I thought the guy cast to play McCoy had a good grasp on DeForrest Kelly's speaking cadence and did a good job of staying loyal to it. The Scotty was a bit over the top, but nice comic relief. The ascension of the various crew members to such high profile positions in such short order, while necessary, seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Nice drops of a few nods to the old series.

it made sense everyone on the enterprise was a student days before, and the only real one with any starfleet experience was scotty. Also just as a little hint, when scotty says he sent away admiral archer's beagle. That's a nod to the original Enterprise, cause Captain Archer had a pet beagle on board with him

Cant_Be_Faded
05-10-2009, 04:39 AM
Result is gay

ManuTP9
05-10-2009, 09:14 AM
i was never really into star strek , but it was alright

Mark in Austin
05-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I really enjoyed it (saw it on the IMAX Thurs night). After a couple days thinking about it the one flaw in the movie that I have a problem with is the number of cadets / inexperienced crewmembers on the bridge of the Enterprise. It just doesn't make sense. Even if the whole fleet is in another galaxy, it is far more likely that the academy instructors would be pulled onto the Enterprise before academy cadets are.

Other than that, great move, well acted, looks and sounds amazing.

Spurminator
05-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Fun stuff, but there were a few too many big, fortunate coincidences moving the story along. Still, it falls into my "would definitely watch again" group. Great cast, looking forward to the sequels.

Wild Cobra
05-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I liked Caprica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_(TV_series)) better, and cannot wait for the series to start.

FaithInOne
05-10-2009, 01:49 PM
The only part that deflated the movie for me was when the main character fell into the lap of the older pointy eared fellow. How fortunate.

J.T.
05-10-2009, 08:18 PM
The only part that deflated the movie for me was when the main character fell into the lap of the older pointy eared fellow. How fortunate.

Not seen much Star Trek, have you?

Biernutz
05-10-2009, 08:39 PM
I saw it today and enjoyed it, although I thought the actors who played the crew from the TV series tried a little too hard. I still recommend it and I will go to the sequil.

Jacob1983
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Is it worth seeing it in IMAX? Is the whole movie in the IMAX format or just certain scenes? If the whole thing is in IMAX, then I would consider seeing it but if it's like the Dark Knight in IMAX then I will skip it.

FaithInOne
05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Not seen much Star Trek, have you?

Didn't want to give out a detailed SPOILER

monosylab1k
05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
I hate everything about Star Trek, but I saw this new one and like it :tu How do the hardcore Trek nerds view this film? The fact that a Star Trek hater like me could enjoy it probably means the Trekkies aren't thrilled.

Jacob1983
05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I've never understood how or why people hate Star Trek or Star Wars. Well, I guess you could say that people that hate Star Trek and Star Wars don't like using their imagination or they don't like having to think when they watch a movie/tv show.

EricB
05-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Good movie. Well worth the 8 bucks.

flipcritic
05-10-2009, 11:57 PM
It's fucking brilliant.

TheProfessor
05-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Great movie. At the end of the day, it's just awesome sci-fi schlock, so ridiculous coincidences and drawn-out exposition sequences don't bug me all that much. After seeing Serenity and this, I am all the more convinced Lucas should hang his head in shame.

monosylab1k
05-11-2009, 01:32 AM
I've never understood how or why people hate Star Trek or Star Wars. Well, I guess you could say that people that hate Star Trek and Star Wars don't like using their imagination or they don't like having to think when they watch a movie/tv show.

yeah, "Meesa JarJar Binks" is real deep. Star Wars and Star Trek are among the biggest "turn your brain off" forms of entertainment because the plot holes are large enough to operate an AT-AT Walker right through.

LnGrrrR
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I hate everything about Star Trek, but I saw this new one and like it :tu How do the hardcore Trek nerds view this film? The fact that a Star Trek hater like me could enjoy it probably means the Trekkies aren't thrilled.

I'm a Trekkie nerd and I liked it. Lots of in jokes.

LnGrrrR
05-11-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah, "Meesa JarJar Binks" is real deep. Star Wars and Star Trek are among the biggest "turn your brain off" forms of entertainment because the plot holes are large enough to operate an AT-AT Walker right through.

Star Wars, yes, but have you watched some of the original Star Trek films? Alot of them were just film/tv versions of novel-type stories. Classic storytelling with some twists. "A Piece of the Action", "Trouble with Tribbles" "Devil in the Dark"... all pretty fun and interesting stories.

koriwhat
05-11-2009, 10:44 AM
i'm not a fan of startek, predictable movie, but nonetheless very enjoyable and finally something worth seeing in the theaters.

Findog
05-12-2009, 10:27 PM

I think it was the second-best film in the series after Wrath of Khan. The villians are underwritten and don't have a lot of screen time, there are some plot holes, but overall a good way to spend two hours.

Jacob1983
05-13-2009, 12:52 AM
The main reason why people hate on Star Trek, Star Wars, and other sci-fi/fantasy things is because they don't know anything about it and/or they've never seen them before.

desflood
05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I think it was the second-best film in the series after Wrath of Khan. The villians are underwritten and don't have a lot of screen time, there are some plot holes, but overall a good way to spend two hours.
After seeing this last night, I have to agree with you. It's nice to finally have a Star Trek movie live up to "Khan".

mexicanjunior
05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Let me start off by saying I was never really a fan of any of the Star Trek TV shows or movies (except Wrath of Kahn), so I came into it not expecting a whole lot. I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining and well paced this movie was. The acting wasn't cheesy, it had some very funny moments, and the action/effects were top notch. Even the story, which I thought would be silly, was compelling and kept me interested. My favorite character was probably Mccoy's (Bones) because he kept spouting those one liners we all remember..."Are you out of your VULCAN mind!", "Dammitt! I'm a doctor, not a physicist!". Eventhough the main actors were not big names, it had alot of cameos from actors like Wynona Ryder (Spock's mom), Tyler Perry (some Federation bigwig), Eric Bana (the Romulian bad guy), and the guy from Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead was Scotty. Overall...big thumbs up, worth the price of admission.

ididnotnothat
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Good, entertaining movie.

rr2418
05-13-2009, 12:18 PM
At the end of the movie when Spock is saying the voice over " Space, the final frontier" thing, I was wondering if they would keep the original version which was changed when Generations stated.

original version from original series and films:

Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its 5 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before

version used in Generations and new Star Trek movie:

Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its 5 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no one has gone before

I guess a bit picky but if this is the begining then the original voice over should've been used.

CubanMustGo
05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
At the end of the movie when Spock is saying the voice over " Space, the final frontier" thing, I was wondering if they would keep the original version which was changed when Generations stated.

I guess a bit picky but if this is the begining then the original voice over should've been used.

Ah, but it's a different timeline now, so change is inevitable. :lol

jacobdrj
05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
As a fairly hard core (although, there are people who are WAY more into it than I), I would say this movie was far more easy to swallow, as far as being a reboot, than the Star Wars attempts.

I thought the actors were true to the characters. There was plenty of material to keep people like me happy, and it was also a genuinely good movie what almost everyone who I know who has seen it has enjoyed.

Yes, it did seem a little suspicious that a bunch of cadets took over the flagship so quickly, but I think it was sort of a throwback to the Star Trek 2 story.

I did think the accents were a bit forced by the Chekov guy and the McCoy guy, but I can forgive the McCoy guy because he is actually Brittish (I think). So going from a Brittish accent to a southern one is a bit more challenging, and I think he will get better at it. Chekov was a bit harsh, and I think we didn't get 'enough' of him and his 'ambition' from the original show, but there will be time for that later.

SPOILER:
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
As far as the destruction of Vulcan: Good riddance. There have been only a few actors who get the 'repressed emotion' aspect of the Vulcans right, and I am sick of seeing people continue to try and fail at it. Less Vulcans means less actors playing Vulcans and less failed attempts at acting 'logical'.

I am not a huge fan of The Wrath of Khan, but it was one of the better films. When I was younger, 4 was my favorite, and it was surpassed by 6 as I grew older. TNG was my favorite series, by far, followed by TOS, the 4th season of Enterprise, and then V'Ger and DS9 both trailing far behind.

I love that they brought Spock in for more than just a quick cameo. It was much more fulfilling.

As a side note, Delta Vega was supposed to be very very far away... But the fact it was included at all was kind of cool... The place where the 1st adventure of Kirk and Spock took place...

There were also some actors from the other Star Treks in there, like the head of the Science Academy was in at least 1 movie, and 1 episode of Trek (not to mention like 5 episodes of Babylon 5).

I am sure the next film will be Klingon orented. Personally I would prefer more with the Romulans, but I don't think we will get that.

I thought Nero was certainly a villan, and well acted. But his character's motivation left something to be desired. Why was he so pissed? Why did he blame Spock. A little irrational even for a Romulan, and just not convincing. Maybe he was nuts. Ok, fine. But I kept feeling like he was just a random dude with a hissy fit, and not a diabolicle villan who was trying to destroy planets.

I thought the new Enterprise model looked ever so slightly goofy. But It was fine, and it is easier on the eyes than the ol' 60's model.

I love the Uhura plotline. I hope we get more of that in the sequal.

I also like the waterboarding/ceti-eel sceen. I loved how Pike wasn't killed off, and how he ended the film in a wheelchair.

Redshirt!

And the fencing thing... nice.

I pan on watching it again.

I am so glad I saw it on IMAX 1st.

101A
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Other wise, great flick.

As for the ages....

****SPOILERS*******************

The Fleet's flagship is run by kids fresh out of the Academy?

Really?

And if Kirk gets command of the Enterprise at the end - again the flagship; Spock doesn't even get promoted past commander? Strained storyline - also Kirk getting dumped on a random planet, running from a beastie into a cave and JUST HAPPENS to find Spock from the future in there?!??? Some design for this to happen, however implausible, ought to have been included. The "Dumb Luck" of that kind of messed up the rest for me.

spursfan09
05-15-2009, 10:27 PM
So are Spock and Kirk from this movie a new generation or is it the same generation from all the movies before?

Duff McCartney
05-16-2009, 02:22 PM
and the guy from Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead was Scotty. Overall...big thumbs up, worth the price of admission.

His name is Simon Pegg.

And let me be the first to say to all of you..may the force be with you.

mardigan
05-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Saw it today, thought it was great. I think they did just about as good as a job as they could have trying to reboot the franchise. Well acted, and entertaining the whole way through.

Johnny RIngo
05-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Speaking as a Star Trek fan, I thought it was a fun movie. Action scenes were especially great. The story's full of plot holes and the villain kinda sucks but it's still an entertaining movie. Up there with the best Trek films.

monosylab1k
05-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Tyler Perry (some Federation bigwig)

Yeah when I saw him in that scene I immediately wondered how the movie wasn't called Tyler Perry's Star Trek, featuring Tyler Perry as Tyler Perry.

Biernutz
05-16-2009, 06:25 PM
People like Si-Fi space movies. All the Star Wars, Star Trek type movies all made tons of money. Why is it that there are more of these movies? I'm going to the Terminator movie next weekend. I saw the trailer on it and this one looks crazy good.

Strike
05-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah when I saw him in that scene I immediately wondered how the movie wasn't called Tyler Perry's Star Trek, featuring Tyler Perry as Tyler Perry.

Tyler Perry's "The Case Of Madea And The Cheating Starfleet Cadet"

Slinkyman
05-16-2009, 10:36 PM
People like Si-Fi space movies. All the Star Wars, Star Trek type movies all made tons of money. Why is it that there are more of these movies? I'm going to the Terminator movie next weekend. I saw the trailer on it and this one looks crazy good.

Most Sci-fi not named Star wars/trek don't do so well although they are also very good, ie sunshine and serenity. Hopefully with this movies success we'll see more sci-fi movies of this caliber.

Summers
05-24-2009, 12:52 PM
We saw this movie last night. We don't go out for movies very often, but this is one we both wanted to see. RG is a big Star Trek nerd; I'm not, although I've seen all the movies and probably all of the series because my mom was a big Star Trek nerd. :lol We both really liked it. I thought RG would pee his pants the first time we got a glimpse of the Enterprise. My mom always claimed Spock was her favorite character and after the movie last night, I get it. It gets 4 thumbs up from us!

desflood
05-24-2009, 02:06 PM
They had no right to make Spock so attractive. None at all. "Spock" and "sexy" are not supposed to be synonymous.

BWS-1994
05-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Great start to Hollywood's line of summer blockbusters. :tu

I hope to see more space "dogfights" in the next Star Trek films.

tlongII
05-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Just got back from seeing this at a matinee. It was great! I'm a bit of a Trekkie and I love how they stayed true to the original characters. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were all nailed by the actors playing them. I'd like to know who the actress playing Uhura is. What a hottie!

CuckingFunt
05-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I'd like to know who the actress playing Uhura is. What a hottie!

Zoe Saldana.

DarkReign
05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Great movie. My brother and I used to watch TNG back in the day, every week night at midnight.

My father used to watch the original loyally when we were kids (it was on Nick @ Night).

Good flick.