PDA

View Full Version : Steroids and basketball

CavsFan
05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Just a question here....why do we never hear about steroid use in basketball? Is it because the players really don't use them because their body type is a bit leaner, or is it because of lack of testing?

Now, by my name you can tell I'm a Cavs fan, but there have been times I've wondered about Lebron. He was pretty big in high school, so maybe he really is just a freak of nature.

Brazil
05-07-2009, 09:06 PM
It's a good question, I wanted to start a thread about that. In Europe the media would accuse immediately guys like lbj or howard etc... to use products.

BTW I can't believe that you can play 82 games + PO in less than 6 months at a high level without taking some forbidden stuff.

IMHO most of the NBA players are loaded.

I don't know the rules in NBA regarding testing / frequency /

Armando
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Because in basketball there is no advantage to using steroids.

dirk4mvp
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Because in basketball there is no advantage to using steroids.

There would be more advantages to using steroids in basketball than baseball by far.

Armando
05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
James is on roids, it will come out soon.

Yeah like ESPN and the NBA will out thier cash cow.

Armando
05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
There would be more advantages to using steroids in basketball than baseball by far.

How so? In basketball you rely on speed and quickness. Steroids make you gain muscle weight not exactly useful if you are playing in a sport that relies and speed and quickness.

Armando
05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Baseball did it to their cash cow

Thats because that dumbass made it to obvious plus the guy is a jerk.

ElNono
05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
How so? In basketball you rely on speed and quickness. Steroids make you gain muscle weight not exactly useful if you are playing in a sport that relies and speed and quickness.

Ask Andrew Bynum or Nene...

CavsFan
05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/stern-steroids-house-reps-051805.shtml

"The NBA had no evidence in 1999 (and we have none today) to suggest even minimal use of steroids or performance-enhancing substances by NBA players. Indeed, some have suggested that the sport of basketball -- which emphasizes quickness, agility, dexterity, and skill above all other physical attributes – does not lend itself to the use of steroids and performance-enhancing substances, which are primarily used to build muscle mass, strength, and endurance. Nevertheless, both the NBA and the Players Association believed in 1999 that it was important to adopt a policy before any problem could emerge, and the NBA remains committed to that same approach today."

Maybe it is because there is no advantage......

Brazil
05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I found a translation of an interview of Dirk dated from 2007 where he talk a litle bit about doping.
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2167589 (http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2167589)

When talking about more games... you start playing again in October, and we checked your schedule - that's unbeliveable. You play almost every second day, travel, have up to 14 or 15 games a month, so thats pretty tough. Right now, there is much talk about doping going on, so what have been your expiriences with doping in the NBA?

I havn't made any, I don't think that it'll be too helpful in a game, in a team sport... maybe in regeneration, but you have to keep your ball handling and everything... I can't see any advances, but ... someone can prove me wrong (smiles) (at about 4:10 min)

But you do have doping tests?

Yeah, we have four unannounced tests per year...

... altogether?

... exactly. And when I'm with the national team...

Quite edifying actually when you compare to Europe where the players are tested all time long.

Also quite edifying that this is the first time I see a thread speaking about doping on ST.

Armando
05-07-2009, 09:23 PM
The NBA can't afford another hit thier image especially on steroids. A scandal like that will be made worse by the fact that people will bring the race part of it into the story.

CavsFan
05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
The NBA can't afford another hit thier image especially on steroids. A scandal like that will be made worse by the fact that people will bring the race part of it into the story.

What the hell does race have shit to do with this topic??????

ElNono
05-07-2009, 09:26 PM

I agree, and I would say they're pretty strict on their checks, as far as I've heard.
What I wonder is if the checks also keep on happening while a player is out injured. IE: Not part of an actual roster because they're healing from an injury.
The reason I mentioned Nene and Bynum is that both of them went out with injuries being freaking lanky, and came back with a lot of muscle.

Cane
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
In case you guys don't know, about half of NBA players are potheads. Having a bunch of drug tests would leave us with nothing but bench players and D-leaguers on the court.

Brazil
05-07-2009, 09:32 PM

The steroids are not the only doping produts!

Armando
05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
What the hell does race have shit to do with this topic??????

I am saying that people might make that an issue. It might be as covert as for an example remember after Katrina. When white people were taking merchandise from abandoned stores they called it taking supplies to survive when black people did it it was called looting or New Orleans is turning into a war zone. I am saying its wrong and it would be a travesty if race becomes the issue because its the NBA but don't think it won't be an issue. Hell remember back a few years agon when the dress code was implemented and the age required to into the draft was raised? Some people even some players raised the race issue.

Brazil
05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
EPO is also a "good" drug for a bb player

Armando
05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
In case you guys don't know, about half of NBA players are potheads. Having a bunch of drug tests would leave us with nothing but bench players and D-leaguers on the court.

Sheed

CavsFan
05-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Pot, though, is different than steroids. Yes, it is illegal, but it does not give you an advantage physically over your opponent.

j.dizzle
05-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I bet 50% of athletes in the sports world are on something..Some might not be illegal but most of em are probably taking hard supplements..You cannot grow as much as some of these players do in a little amount of time.

ginobili's bald spot
05-08-2009, 12:11 AM

:lol How bout you don't speak on subjects you know nothing about.

DAF86
05-08-2009, 12:18 AM
I hardly bealive that every NBA player is into some kind of performance-enhancing drug.

Imposter Cleaner
05-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I hardly bealive that every NBA player is into some kind of performance-enhancing drug.
Money is the source of evils.

VI_Massive
05-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Did Shaq rely on quickness and speed? No brute strength/size and that goes with a lot of centers.

But what made Shaq great is that he was one of the biggest guys but also had great footwork and coordination. Steroids don't help with that.

kace
05-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Also quite edifying that this is the first time I see a thread speaking about doping on ST.

Absolutely.

exactly what i thought.

i tried to talk about it in a thread where a poster was wondering why TP didn't seem to be able to play with the same intensity for 45 mpg.

i remembered a french inteview where TP talked about drugs, even legal ones like EPO, and said he didn't want to go there. i remember him saying his "secret" was a grass juice, a mom's advice.

so, i would like to know too about drugs and substances, legal (epo...) or not (steroids...) used in the NBA and especially in the spurs team.

and i could agree to say that doping, in sports like basketbbal or soccer, aren't as useful as in some othres sports like cycling stuff like that.

but to say it would be useless is totally false though.

KSeal
05-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Money is the source of evils.

Bukefal
05-08-2009, 04:28 AM
In almost every sports there are steroids used by players. Also in basketball, all tough its hard for me to believe, and i dont want to believe it. I dont know about testing on steroids in the NBA. Maybe its not done? I know its done at the olympics for basketball players. As for lebron, you'll never know exactly, but I think he is just that great.

Kamnik
05-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Good thread... I always wondered about it.

Summers
05-08-2009, 06:16 AM

They randomly test all players I think 4 times a year for everything, but depending on what they get caught using, the punishment is different. I think there's a very low/no tolerance for steroids in the NBA (as in a player would be suspended), but just a fine for pot. I don't know about hard drugs, but if I recall correctly, they get suspended after 2 or 3 drug tests show hard drugs. The fact that pot is basically a slap on the wrist should indicate how prevalent it is.

The commissioner said in the steroid hearings that they don't have a problem with steroids in the NBA because players don't believe it would help them. He was also asked how they conduct the testing and he kept saying something like, "I don't want to be graphic, but there would be no way to cheat the urine test." In other words, someone watches them pee in a cup. For some reason that made me laugh.

Randy
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
PowPow!

robbie380
05-08-2009, 10:01 AM

good call....track guys have never used performance enhancing drugs.

Brazil
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Absolutely.

exactly what i thought.

i tried to talk about it in a thread where a poster was wondering why TP didn't seem to be able to play with the same intensity for 45 mpg.

i remembered a french inteview where TP talked about drugs, even legal ones like EPO, and said he didn't want to go there. i remember him saying his "secret" was a grass juice, a mom's advice.

so, i would like to know too about drugs and substances, legal (epo...) or not (steroids...) used in the NBA and especially in the spurs team.

and i could agree to say that doping, in sports like basketbbal or soccer, aren't as useful as in some othres sports like cycling stuff like that.

but to say it would be useless is totally false though.

EPO is legal in NBA ? :wow

EPO is forbidden everywhere in any sports. There is a NBA or american sports exception ?

RedsLakers24
05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
HGH, this drug does not make you bigger, most baseball players use this drug, it helps you play till you are 40 or even more ask Roger Clemens, you get speed, every player needs speed in the NBA, and even makes you see better meaning you could get more assist, and this drug cannot be detected in a drug test, the only way to find out is to catch the dealer and he snitches you out

mavs>spurs2
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Lot's of ignorance in this thread.

1. Steriods WILL help you in basketball. They don't just add muscle bulk, they add strength, quickness, jumping ability, etc. They can take a good athlete and make him a freak in every single way.

2. They help you recover from injury super fast, the main reason professional wrestlers use them.

3. Yes, probably many people in the NBA are using them. At least short cycles of them while they're trying to come back to action.

Girasuck
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Just look at Boozer. Two years ago the guy was a monster, a freak, and his face was covered in acne. Now his face is clear and he's a pussy. Obviously he quit the roids.

sribb43
05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/369665.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C948617D2705C0548101D 284831B75F48EF45http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/284699.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0EDC1B0F94C71DC4333 284831B75F48EF45

LnGrrrR
05-08-2009, 12:23 PM
He was also asked how they conduct the testing and he kept saying something like, "I don't want to be graphic, but there would be no way to cheat the urine test." In other words, someone watches them pee in a cup. For some reason that made me laugh.

That's how it's done in the military.

RedsLakers24
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Just look for players with Huge Heads, the ones with the big heads are the ones that use Roids

kace
05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
EPO is legal in NBA ? :wow

EPO is forbidden everywhere in any sports. There is a NBA or american sports exception ?

my bad. i meant creatine.

JoshO501
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
i always thought big ben could of been on something cause he was ripped when he was in detroit.