PDA

View Full Version : Do the Cavs have the easiest road to the Finals in NBA History?

DrHouse
05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
After all the talk about the EC being the best conference it's funny to see things not really shape up that way due to injuries and what not.

DET - This team was not even worthy of the playoffs and basically quit before things got started. Just a pathetic, pathetic, team.
ATL - Way out of their league. ATL would probably not make it out of the 1st round in the WC no matter who they played.
BOS/ORL - Both teams have injuries to key players so it's unlikely either of them can take out CLE

Honestly I can't really remember an NBA team having an easier trip to the Finals than this. The EC has had its advantages for the last couple of decades in terms of reaching the Finals. The WC flat out has better teams from top to bottom.

BlackSwordsMan
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
get off kobe's dick

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
If LA is the best team it shouldn't matter.

hater
well it's a toss up between Cavs and Lakers.

Cavs faced a Detroit team that don't give a fuck anymore and then injury ridden Atlanta.

Lakers faced injury ridden Utah. and are getting tons of help from the refs vs. Rockets.

toss up

DrHouse

Cavs faced a Detroit team that don't give a fuck anymore and then injury ridden Atlanta.

Lakers faced injury ridden Utah. and are getting tons of help from the refs vs. Rockets.

toss up

I know you're joking.

Thunder Dan
05-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Dr House with a thread about the Cavs, Imagine that

Yuushi12
05-07-2009, 10:35 PM
After all the talk about the EC being the best conference it's funny to see things not really shape up that way due to injuries and what not.

DET - This team was not even worthy of the playoffs and basically quit before things got started. Just a pathetic, pathetic, team.
ATL - Way out of their league. ATL would probably not make it out of the 1st round in the WC no matter who they played.
BOS/ORL - Both teams have injuries to key players so it's unlikely either of them can take out CLE

Honestly I can't really remember an NBA team having an easier trip to the Finals than this. The EC has had its advantages for the last couple of decades in terms of reaching the Finals. The WC flat out has better teams from top to bottom.

+1 :toast in fact i cant see any fact that will prove east is better than west this season other than their record. come playoff time, about only 2 or 3 teams in the east aren't bullshit.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Dr House with a thread about the Cavs, Imagine that

For a team he considers such a huge joke he sure seems to talk about them a lot.

Ghazi
Stupid thread as always

hater
05-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I know you're joking.

nope.

hater
05-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Stupid thread as always

gotta give him props for his consistency

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-07-2009, 10:38 PM
gotta give him props for his consistency

:lmao

Also gotta give him props for not being pinked even after all this stupid thread creating.

balli
05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
After all the talk about the EC being the best conference...
:rolleyes

The WC flat out has better teams from top to bottom.
Gee ya think? Did you just start watching NBA basketball two weeks ago?

pauls931
05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
The west cancels it out usually by curbstomping the east except last year and probably this year. Remember when the Cavs got swept by the spurs after the spurs beat pho in finals?

Thunder Dan
05-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I just want to know why Dr.House even watches the Cavs. They have no chance against the Lakers, so why waste time with 10 threads a day talking about the crappy Cavs?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
The west cancels it out usually by curbstomping the east except last year and probably this year. Remember when the Cavs got swept by the spurs after the spurs beat pho in finals?

The East was way worse back then.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I just want to know why Dr.House even watches the Cavs. They have no chance against the Lakers, so why waste time with 10 threads a day talking about the crappy Cavs?

This adds to the greater question of why DrHouse feels the need to post so many threads and seek the approval of all the "idiots" dumb enough to say Fisher will get suspended for game 3.

Ghazi
05-07-2009, 10:51 PM
There is a case the East was better than the West this year. This was the first time since Jordan's last year (with exception to the fluke lockout year) that the average margin of victory for an East team was greater than the average margin of victory for a West team.

Amaso
05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Well, the 2007 Cavs had a pretty fucking easy run too.

pauls931
05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I made the argument for the east being better than the west this year and it basically holds true for the top 3, then the rest are pretty much not worthy of a playoff spot in the west.

TheProfessor
05-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Already setting up the excuses, I see.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Already setting up the excuses, I see.

for sure.

JamStone
05-07-2009, 11:05 PM
No. The 2001-02 New Jersey Nets.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
No. The 2001-02 New Jersey Nets.

Either that or the 2001 76ers.

JoeTait75
05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Honestly I can't really remember an NBA team having an easier trip to the Finals than this.

REWZU5E7mMg

WWAlr3RN0DE

coldsweat
05-08-2009, 12:00 AM
DrHouse's obsession with the cavs continues...

KSeal
05-08-2009, 12:36 AM

toss up

You're by far the worst troll ever. So a team with the best center in the game and the two best perimeter defenders that won 53 games in the West are equal to the Hawks who barely won 40 games in the east and wouldn't come close to making the playoffs in the West. Rockets have shot more FT's then the Lakers in both games thus far, +13 matter of fact. And yeah, the Cavs don't get any ref help...

KidCongo
05-08-2009, 12:41 AM
LeBron James still can't close games. He will never get a better jumpshot.

05-08-2009, 12:56 AM
drhouse should be happy the celtics aren't at full strength. they won't be able to make the lakers their bitch again this year.

KSeal
05-08-2009, 01:48 AM
drhouse should be happy the celtics aren't at full strength. they won't be able to make the lakers their bitch again this year.

:lol As if the Spurs wouldn't have gotten their asses destroyed last year if they could have gotten past the Lakers. Your team lost to the MAVS (:lmao) in the first round, so you shall STFU.

Lebron4MVP
05-08-2009, 02:01 AM

If only the Lakers could ever be a solid defensive team. Imagine that House.

KSeal
05-08-2009, 02:07 AM
If only the Lakers could ever be a solid defensive team. Imagine that House.

Yeah they can't play solid defense at all. That's why the Lakers owned your team twice this year and shut LBJ the fuck down, even in his own house!:lmao

LBJ a combined 14 for 45 shooting in the two games against the Lakers :lmao

Lebron4MVP
05-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah they can't play solid defense at all. That's why the Lakers owned your team twice this year and shut LBJ the fuck down, even in his own house!:lmao

Get back to me when the Lakers do that to the Cavs in a 7 game series where it matters most. Lakers D may have a January/February moment 1 or 2 times but they have yet to show their ability to be a consistent defensive ball club. That will be the inevitable downfall for the Lakers this season.

KSeal
05-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Get back to me when the Lakers do that to the Cavs in a 7 game series where it matters most. Lakers D may have a January/February moment 1 or 2 times but they have yet to show their ability to be a consistent defensive ball club. That will be the inevitable downfall for the Lakers this season.

:lmao 14 for 45 shooting against the Lakers :lmao If only LBJ could show up against elite teams he might be worth something. He can drop 40 on the Hawks, LOOK OUT! You think your team is good because they can beat the Pistons and the Hawks, if things were fair and they had to play a team like the Rockets with Artest and Battier guarding him every game he'd be in for a world of hurt. The East is trash.

KSeal
05-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Feb, 26, LBJ 7 for 21 shooting with no assists in a 19 point blowout loss to the Rockets. What a shock LBJ and his buddies suck against a team who can actually play. Get back to me when the LBJ's actually beat a decent team in a 7 game series, not these scrub teams the East playoffs are filled with.

resistanze
05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
131-92

Bukefal
05-08-2009, 08:47 AM
yeah, but not because of their opponents, but because of them being on fire! I smell fear here. When people have fear, they are trying to make excuses.

sonic21
05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Definitely helps the Lakers.
The Cavs are playing some soft teams, this will definitely hurt them if they get to the finals.

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
The Cavs are playing some soft teams, this will definitely hurt them if they get to the finals.

that's assuming the Lakers even make it out of the 2nd round

stretch
05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
fucking a

timvp can you please pink this stupid fuck drhouse? his obsession with the cavs is ridiculous. i swear he starts more threads daily about the cavs or lakers, than tschlong ever did about oden.

Muser
05-08-2009, 09:44 AM
It doesn't matter, best team should win the playoffs regardless of the road to the finals.

UltimA
05-08-2009, 09:46 AM
They have one of the easier roads, but getting past Orlando or Boston won't be easy.

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 09:56 AM
fucking a

timvp can you please pink this stupid fuck drhouse? his obsession with the cavs is ridiculous. i swear he starts more threads daily about the cavs or lakers, than tschlong ever did about oden.

I'm in favor of a pink

DrHouse
05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
It's a legitimate question, if you don't like it GTFO this thread.

Nobody is making you click on the link to get here dumbass.

And clearly you must believe it's true for you to respond so vehemently.

resistanze
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
http://dontgosouth.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/obsession1.jpg

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
There's no way it's true simply cause 2001 and 2002 were way fuckin worse.

stretch
05-08-2009, 10:14 AM

I don't think people are responding "vehemently" because of whether its true or not. And yes, I do think its a fairly easy road.

People are responding "vehemently" because you are a fucking dumbass and are obsessed with the Cavs, a team that you believe to be infinitely inferior to the Lakers in every way, shape, and form. So why are you so obsessed with them?

:dizzy

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Why do you waste your time watching the NBA outside of the Lakers? The Lakers exploited the Cavs twice in the regular season and will crush them again in the Finals. Why do you even care how the Cavs get to the Finals when the outcome is already known? That's the pressing question. You make 5-10 threads a week about the Cavs and how easy they have it, or how much you hate them, or how the Lakers are so much better, but why? I don't waste time making threads about the Hawks because I know the Cavs will crush them. I didn't watch the Heat/Hawks series because I knew the Cavs would beat whoever, so why do you even watch the Cavs?

DrHouse
05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
:lmao at Mav fan's obsession with King James.

Ride the coattails of a winning team since your team is getting swept.

stretch
05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
:lmao at Mav fan's obsession with King James.

Ride the coattails of a winning team since your team is getting swept.

No where in my post did I mention anything about Lebron. Once again, your extreme obsession with Lebron and the Cavs shows. Its almost as bad as Leonard's obsession with SpursDynasty.

stretch
05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Why do you waste your time watching the NBA outside of the Lakers? The Lakers exploited the Cavs twice in the regular season and will crush them again in the Finals. Why do you even care how the Cavs get to the Finals when the outcome is already known? That's the pressing question. You make 5-10 threads a week about the Cavs and how easy they have it, or how much you hate them, or how the Lakers are so much better, but why? I don't waste time making threads about the Hawks because I know the Cavs will crush them. I didn't watch the Heat/Hawks series because I knew the Cavs would beat whoever, so why do you even watch the Cavs?

:tu

JoeTait75
05-08-2009, 10:33 AM

Nope, but keep thinking it will.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 10:41 AM
i don't understand how taking care of business in the 1st and 2nd round by making quick work of your opponent gives you a disadvantage against a team that turned their 2nd round into a 7 game slug fest.

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
the Cavs will have another week off the hang out and rest up, while Kobe gets more and more run down. He already looks very tired, an extra 6 games more than the Cavs won't help.

Indazone
05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey Dunderdan,

Remember this? Yao, "See you in Houston" game.

Cavaliers 74, Rockets 93

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290226010

Don't crown yourself champs just yet. :lol

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey Dunderdan,

Remember this? Yao, "See you in Houston" game.

Cavaliers 74, Rockets 93

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290226010

Don't crown yourself champs just yet. :lol

This thread isn't about communism and outsourcing, it's about the best team in the NBA and the team that has yet to come within 20 points of losing a Playoff game.

iggypop123
05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
seems like nobody is answering the question. yes. pathetic conference, depleted elite teams in the conference and second round opponent who cant even get 3 starters out there. cavs were good so now this just about ensures a east title

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
the Cavs have to go through a team that has won over 55 games and/or the defending champs to get to the Finals. The Lakers have to go through the shitty Rockets- a team that is making it's first appearance in the 2nd round since Crystal Clear Pepsi, and the Nuggets who flat out suck all together. The reason the Lakers look shitty is because they don't play defense because they are soft and old

JoeTait75
05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
seems like nobody is answering the question. yes. pathetic conference, depleted elite teams in the conference and second round opponent who cant even get 3 starters out there. cavs were good so now this just about ensures a east title

I answered the question. Lake Show, 1987. 37-win Nuggets, 42-win Warriors, 39-win Sonics. The West was absolute garbage in those days. L.A. had a milk run every year unless they went up against Houston. And the Cavaliers still have to play either the 59-win Magic or the 62-win, defending Champion Celtics in the ECF.

So no, this isn't the easiest road to the Finals ever.

DrHouse
05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
The Magic are missing Jameer Nelson and are known playoff chokers.

The Celtics don't have KG.

Neither team is even as good as the Rockets or Nuggets at this point.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
The rest versus rust debate is overrated for both sides. Too many factors really end up deciding which is better. If a team has a lot of injuries, then of course rest is better. But, if a team has a great rhythm and is a team that relies on a lot of jump shooting, sometimes, rest isn't a good thing. It really depends on the team and the match-up. There are pros and cons for both.

Should the Cavs worry they haven't been tested yet? Not really. They should have pounded Detroit and Atlanta and that's what they've done. It's not like the Cavs can do anything about who they play. And, the Lakers might be better off that their toughness has been tested early on. It certainly helped the Celtics last year. I think any debate over which is better is simply just shit talk from either sides or haters. We'll have to wait and see how things turn out.

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
The Magic are missing Jameer Nelson and are known playoff chokers.

The Celtics don't have KG.

Neither team is even as good as the Rockets or Nuggets at this point.

The Rockets don't have T-Mac and the Jazz didn't have Okur for 2 games, what is your point?

Thunder Dan
05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
T-Mac is better than Jameer Nelson and the Lakers lost a game to the Rockets. So the Lakers suck. If TMac is playing it's a 2-0 series and Houston is looking to close things out this weekend. The Lakers are just too soft, they have to look at instances of thuggery by their PG to inspire them and to trick them into thinking they are physical. The fact is that the Lakers are like their fans, fruitcakes and wear sunglasses indoors.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
It's not even close to the easiest ever.

In 2001, Philly had to go through the Pacers and Raptors in the first two rounds. In the eastern finals they did play a 52 win team, but that win total doesn't really matter when you factor in the fact Glenn Robinson was their leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder.

DrHouse
05-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't think the Cavs would benefit from having grueling early rounds because they have not coasted at any point in the season. They come out each night and play hard, which is a testament to Lebron and Mike Brown (aka Mr. Potato Head).

The Lakers will benefit from getting punched in the mouth early. All season long they've played as if they expected to coast to the Finals. They definitely did seem to have a sense of entitlement, toying with teams and blowing 20+ pt leads left and right. It's a good thing HOU whacked them early and woke them up.

JoeTait75
05-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Look, the Cavaliers can't win here in the eyes of a lot of you. If they're tested by Detroit or Atlanta, that just shows how overrated and soft they are. If they blow by Detroit and Atlanta, that just shows how soft their competition is and how it's going to hurt them when they play an elite team down the road. Either way, it's going to be used against them.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I answered the question. Lake Show, 1987. 37-win Nuggets, 42-win Warriors, 39-win Sonics. The West was absolute garbage in those days. L.A. had a milk run every year unless they went up against Houston. And the Cavaliers still have to play either the 59-win Magic or the 62-win, defending Champion Celtics in the ECF.

So no, this isn't the easiest road to the Finals ever.

I answered the question also. I said the 2001-02 New Jersey Nets.

And, while the record didn't really show it, that 1987 Seattle team was pretty good. They had three guys that averaged 23 PPG or more in Dale Ellis, Tom Chambers, and Xavier McDaniel. They had a couple decent role players with Nate McMillan and Eddie Johnson and an old Maurice Lucas.

The best team that the 2002 Nets faced was a two man Boston Celtics team of Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker, with Kenny Anderson. I think that was an easier path for that Nets team.

And, the Cavs will end up facing either Boston or Orlando who are both depleted with multiple key players. You can't go by their regular season records to show how good of a team they are now in the playoffs. Celtics are obviously missing KG, and also Powe. Magic are missing Nelson and Courtney Lee, two starters. Can't just look at their regular season record to prove how tough they'll be to face in the playoffs.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
and in 2002 the Nets had a cakewalk road to the finals. None of the 3 teams they played won 50 games. Their 2nd round opponent's leading scorer was done for the season, and in the East finals they played the famous 2002 "There's never been a three pointer I wouldn't chuck up" Boston Celtics.

Banzai
05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think the Cavs would benefit from having grueling early rounds because they have not coasted at any point in the season. They come out each night and play hard, which is a testament to Lebron and Mike Brown (aka Mr. Potato Head).

The Lakers will benefit from getting punched in the mouth early. All season long they've played as if they expected to coast to the Finals. They definitely did seem to have a sense of entitlement, toying with teams and blowing 20+ pt leads left and right. It's a good thing HOU whacked them early and woke them up.

We shall see tonight if this is the case.

JoeTait75
05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
And, while the record didn't really show it, that 1987 Seattle team was pretty good. They had three guys that averaged 23 PPG or more in Dale Ellis, Tom Chambers, and Xavier McDaniel. They had a couple decent role players with Nate McMillan and Eddie Johnson and an old Maurice Lucas.

Jam, every team outside the dregs has good players, especially in those days before mass expansion. Hell, the 1986-87 Kings (the team that fell behind L.A. 40-4 after the first quarter of a game that year) had Reggie Theus and Otis Thorpe. Those were good players too. But that didn't mean Sacramento was a good team.

sonic21
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Nope, but keep thinking it will.

i'm not thinking that.
i was just responding to DrHouse, who was already finding excuses in case the lakers lose in the finals.

JoeTait75
05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
i'm not thinking that.
i was just responding to DrHouse, who was already finding excuses in case the lakers lose in the finals.

Then please accept my apology for being a presumptuous douchebag.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Jam, every team outside the dregs has good players, especially in those days before mass expansion. Hell, the 1986-87 Kings (the team that fell behind L.A. 40-4 after the first quarter of a game that year) had Reggie Theus and Otis Thorpe. Those were good players too. But that didn't mean Sacramento was a good team.

Not every team had three elite scorers. Plus I also mentioned that they had decent players around them. Their record didn't adequately show how good a team they were. Plus, they started playing well right around the playoffs. And, they did beat the Lakers twice in the regular season that year. That was a solid Sonics team. I'm not saying they were a great team. But compare that team to the 2002 Boston Celtics, I would say that Seattle team was better. And, that was my point. 2002 Nets had an easier path.

florige
05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
the Cavs have to go through a team that has won over 55 games and/or the defending champs to get to the Finals. The Lakers have to go through the shitty Rockets- a team that is making it's first appearance in the 2nd round since Crystal Clear Pepsi, and the Nuggets who flat out suck all together. The reason the Lakers look shitty is because they don't play defense because they are soft and old

I def think LA is going to run into trouble if they play Denver. Thats if they make it past Houston. I think the refs will help get them past Houston though.

DrHouse
05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
DEN is going to be a tough team, but IMHO HOU presents far more challenges for LAL. DEN is still too undisciplined defensively to stop Kobe, Gasol, and Odom.

stretch
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Not every team had three elite scorers.

I don't know if 23 ppg in the 80's means you are an elite scorer (considering the faster pace, lack of defense, and increase # of possessions). In todays game, that would equate to maybe 17-20 ppg. Very good, but not quite elite. It would be like having 3 Josh Howards, or 3 Andre Iguodala's on your team.

But I agree that the Nets probably had an easier path. Both teams had easier paths than the Cavs are going to have.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know if 23 ppg in the 80's means you are an elite scorer (considering the faster pace, lack of defense, and increase # of possessions). In todays game, that would equate to maybe 17-20 ppg. Very good, but not quite elite. It would be like having 3 Josh Howards, or 3 Andre Iguodala's on your team.

But I agree that the Nets probably had an easier path. Both teams had easier paths than the Cavs are going to have.

Sounds like a fair point. In the 1986-87 NBA season...

Dale Ellis was 8th in scoring in the league.
Tom Chambers was 13th in scoring in the league.
Xavier McDaniel was 14th in scoring in the league.

Source (http://cache.nba.com/history/points/19861987.html)

I guess it would depend on your definition of elite scoring. How many other teams had three players in the top 15 of scoring in the league that year? Not even the Celtics or the Lakers.

stretch
05-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I guess it would depend on your definition of elite scoring. How many other teams had three players in the top 15 of scoring in the league that year? Not even the Celtics or the Lakers.

Yeah. I feel that the league has better scorers today though. I think that there are 3 guys that could easily put up Jordan-type scoring numbers in the 80s (Lebron, Kobe, Wade), and quite a few other guys that would average 26-30 on a yearly basis, and even surpass 30 multiple times (Dirk, Durant, Anthony, Roy).

LeCrab
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
The road is easy because we make it easy, you jellyfish crab bastards. Roads are easy to walk on when you have eight legs plus claws to move shit out the way.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
The road is easy because we make it easy, you jellyfish crab bastards. Roads are easy to walk on when you have eight legs plus claws to move shit out the way.

:lmao

Gino
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Yes, as opposed to the Jazz, Rockets and Denver freaking Nuggets.

Who cares? If the Lakers play the Cavs it will be a great series that everyone will watch.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah. I feel that the league has better scorers today though. I think that there are 3 guys that could easily put up Jordan-type scoring numbers in the 80s (Lebron, Kobe, Wade), and quite a few other guys that would average 26-30 on a yearly basis, and even surpass 30 multiple times (Dirk, Durant, Anthony, Roy).

Was this your friendly way of saying, "oh my mistake?"

poop
05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
it does seem that all the stars are aligning for Cleveland this year.

stretch
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Was this your friendly way of saying, "oh my mistake?"

No, not really. As I said, scorers back then definitely aren't as good as scorers today. No way would they be averaging those numbers in today's league. And fact is, you can have 3 good scorers, but still be a shitty team. Just look at the Washington Wizards of recent years, with Arenas, Jamison, and Butler. 3 good scorers, and a lot of people thought that they were solid because of that, when the truth was, they were perennial 1st round fodder, because they could score points, and thats all they could do.

I never disagreed that the Nets had an easier road. While I lean towards the Nets having an easier road, I think the argument can go both ways, and that even though the Sonics were a bit better than the record showed, I don't know if they were so much better than the Celtics, that it makes the Lakers road unquestionably harder than the Nets road was, because the Pacers and Hornets weren't really bad teams either. Very likely better than the Warriors and Nuggets.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
No, not really. As I said, scorers back then definitely aren't as good as scorers today. No way would they be averaging those numbers in today's league. And fact is, you can have 3 good scorers, but still be a shitty team. Just look at the Washington Wizards of recent years, with Arenas, Jamison, and Butler. 3 good scorers, and a lot of people thought that they were solid because of that, when the truth was, they were perennial 1st round fodder, because they could score points, and thats all they could do.

I never disagreed that the Nets had an easier road. While I lean towards the Nets having an easier road, I think the argument can go both ways, and that even though the Sonics were a bit better than the record showed, I don't know if they were so much better than the Celtics, that it makes the Lakers road unquestionably harder than the Nets road was, because the Pacers and Hornets weren't really bad teams either. Very likely better than the Warriors and Nuggets.

Just saying top 15 in the league would generally make you an elite scorer, at least for the season you are top 15 in the league. Those guys were elite scorers for 1986-87. I think you probably guessed that 23 PPG wouldn't have made them top 15 scorers in the league in an NBA era with faster pace and less defense and more possessions. Just saying.

As for the Wizards, I actually think those teams were pretty good when healthy. Their problems were more about injuries than it was about them not being a good team. They did win a first round series in 2005. After they lost to the Cavs in 2006, I thought they'd come back better the next year. The following two seasons, they faced injuries that prevented them from showing whether they could do anything or not in the playoffs.

As for Hornets not being bad in 2002, when the Nets faced them in the playoffs, they had already lost Jamal Mashburn for the season. They were a one man Baron Davis team. The next best players on that playoff squad after Mash went down were David Wesley and Elden Campbell. Not a pretty good team when the Nets faced them.

Indiana wasn't that good that year either. Not yet. That was JO's breakout year and Artest only played 24 regular season games with them after being traded for. I think all three teams the Nets faced in the playofffs in 2002 were pretty bad, even the Paul Pierce, Antoine Walker Celtics team that somehow won 49 regular season games.

stretch
05-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Indiana wasn't that good that year either. Not yet. That was JO's breakout year and Artest only played 24 regular season games with them after being traded for. I think all three teams the Nets faced in the playofffs in 2002 were pretty bad, even the Paul Pierce, Antoine Walker Celtics team that somehow won 49 regular season games.

I agree they were all not very good. Neither were the teams the Lakers played.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
All the teams that made it out of the East during the time period between MJ's retirement and the emergence of Detroit were a joke.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 01:50 PM
All the teams that made it out of the East during the time period between MJ's retirement and the emergence of Detroit were a joke.

Except the ones that won NBA titles, you mean, because if you include those teams too, then the Western Conference teams those years and the whole league were jokes that year. But, then again, that might be what you think. The league has been a joke since the 80s.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Except the ones that won NBA titles, you mean, because if you include those teams too, then the Western Conference teams those years and the whole league were jokes that year. But, then again, that might be what you think. The league has been a joke since the 80s.

None of them won titles. I was referring to a small time period from 1999-2003.

sonic21
05-08-2009, 01:58 PM

the pacers were good in 2000

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
the pacers were good in 2000

No they weren't. They were a great perimeter team that was lucky enough to play in a conference with no dominant post presence. The 2000 Suns would have made the finals if they were in the Eastern conference.

JamStone
05-08-2009, 02:40 PM
None of them won titles. I was referring to a small time period from 1999-2003.

My fault. I misread your post.

resistanze
05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
No they weren't. They were a great perimeter team that was lucky enough to play in a conference with no dominant post presence. The 2000 Suns would have made the finals if they were in the Eastern conference.

I still remember Shaq EATING Indiana alive, Jesus. He averaged like 37/18 that series.

LakerHater
05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
It sure does look that way but, man it would be funny if they swept all the way to the finals & then lose in the Finals!!!!
:lol

JamStone
05-08-2009, 03:40 PM
It sure does look that way but, man it would be funny if they swept all the way to the finals & then lose in the Finals!!!!
:lol

Pistons did that to the Lakers in 1989.

LakerHater
05-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Pistons did that to the Lakers in 1989.

That right!
flakers didnt just lose, they got swept after sweepin Portland, Seattle & Phoenix!

JoeTait75
05-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Lake Show had serious injury issues in the '89 Finals. Didn't they lose Magic and Byron Scott for at least the last two games?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-27-2009, 02:22 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/2242364181_6ac31c0589.jpg?v=0

timvp
05-27-2009, 02:23 PM
:lol Good bump.

"It's all about matchups"

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-27-2009, 02:51 PM

lol if Orlando beats LA in the finals.