PDA

View Full Version : Rampage Should Stay In S.A.

duncan228
05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Rampage should stay in S.A. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Rampage_should_stay_in_SA.html)
By John Whisler - Express-News

Officials with the Phoenix Coyotes and Spurs Sports & Entertainment said Wednesday they expect the Rampage to play in San Antonio next season, even if the cash-strapped NHL parent club in Arizona is sold.

The Coyotes filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Tuesday. The filing included a proposal by the BlackBerry wireless magnate Jim Balsillie to buy the franchise for $212.5 million and move it to southern Ontario.

But Brad Treliving, assistant general manager of the Coyotes in charge of the Rampage, said even if there is a change in ownership, it may be too late to move the AHL team out of San Antonio.

“The AHL has already started the process of scheduling,” he said. “So I don't see this impacting San Antonio, whatever happens.”

Rick Pych, president of business operations for Spurs Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Rampage, declined to speculate on what might happen should the Coyotes move out of Arizona.

But he noted that the Rampage have two more years left on their contract with the Coyotes that they renewed last summer.

“We have an operating agreement that applies to the 2008-09 season,” Pych said. “I don't see anything happening that would change that.”

Pych said the Rampage “have a great relationship with the current leadership in Phoenix” and that both the Coyotes and Rampage are taking a business-as-usual approach to things such as selling tickets.

Meanwhile, a showdown appears to be brewing in the desert.

The NHL and the Phoenix suburb of Glendale, which leases Jobing.com Arena to the Coyotes, have objected to the proposed sale, despite the fact that Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes has lost millions since 2001.

An associate of Moyes told the Arizona Republic that the only reason Moyes filed for bankruptcy was to void the team's lease with Glendale. The team signed a 30-year agreement in 2003 with an early termination penalty of $700 million.

The NHL said it was investigating Moyes' bankruptcy petition and removed the owner from all positions of authority to act on behalf of the club.

Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the league was committed to keeping the Coyotes in Glendale.

Bettman said any sale would have to be approved by league owners, but attorneys involved in the bankruptcy filing said a bankruptcy judge could overrule the NHL if the court finds the sale is in the best interest of creditors.

lefty
05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Good read; thanks Duncan228 :tu

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/TeebzPR/sanantoniorampagespurs07.jpg

Rip-Hamilton32
05-08-2009, 08:03 PM
if the Phoenix Coyotes do get moved its to my city and the arena is less then 20 minutes from my house but i would still be a Leafs fan

Rip-Hamilton32
05-08-2009, 08:04 PM
well thats if Jim Balsillie gets them

lefty
05-08-2009, 08:27 PM
well thats if Jim Balsillie gets them

Gary Bettman will NEVER, EVER allow someone to relocate an NHL team to Canada.

The reason: the U.S market; hockey is far more popular in Canada, and the NHL is less popular than NBA, NFL, MLB in the States.