PDA

View Full Version : Bonner or Scalabrine?

sexinthatsx
05-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Who would you rather have? All in all they look like the same player, but scalabrine seems he has more hustle than matt bonner...

Sean Cagney
05-08-2009, 02:09 AM
LOL at the word hustle used again for worthless stiff red heads who can sometimes shoot the three but do NOTHING ELSE! FUKK THEM BOTH, that tell you who I would rather have? NEITHER.

symple19
05-08-2009, 02:12 AM
both are red-headed stepchildren who belong in the european game, not the NBA - I cringe any time I think about Bonner starting games for the Spurs

timtonymanu
05-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Scalabrine's a douche. Bonner sucks as a player. So neither.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-08-2009, 05:25 AM
People are ridiculously harsh on Bonner - he is not a playoff-calibre starter, but he was very solid for much of the regular season and is definitely a solid 8-10th guy.

I'll take Bonner over Scalabrine, although I'd rather have neither on the Spurs going forward.

superjames1992
05-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Bonner.

You guys are really hard on Matt. He's probably not starter-quality, but who else did the Spurs have that would have been any better? Maybe Drew Gooden, but I don't think Pop wanted to mess with his starting lineup so late in the season. At least Bonner hit some big threes at times and was one of the best three-point shooters statistically in the NBA. He also helped spread the floor more, pulling bigs out of the paint and giving Tony and Manu more room to work to drive to the basket.

I think you guys just don't like red heads. :nope

;)

urunobili
05-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Bonner

hater
05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Scalabrine. He's already got more 3s in the playoffs than Bonner ever will.

lefty
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Scalabrine

He shoots well, and takes some rebounds

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Watching them play basketball makes me wish I was 6'8".

Walton Buys Off Me
05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Scalabrine actually gave Doc Rivers quality minutes in game 7 against Chicago.

If asked to do the same, Bonner would have solied himself.

poop
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
SCALABRINI. he showed more toughness than bonner and also hit some big playoff 3's, unlike bonner, who hit none.

z0sa
05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
bonner>>>> scalabrine

pop expected bonner to be our 3rd or 4th best player ... that's why he was getting faceguarded

jag
05-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Scalabrine actually gave Doc Rivers quality minutes in game 7 against Chicago.

If asked to do the same, Bonner would have solied himself.

...Soiled himself and then pump faked multiple times...and then refused to shoot the open 3.

lurker23
05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Matt Bonner, and it's not even close. Anyone who says differently is looking at a sample size that's far too small (this season's playoffs), where admittedly Bonner didn't do very well, but neither did any of the Spurs role players. It was pretty contagious.

Matt Bonner just finished a season where he shot a higher percentage FROM THREE POINT RANGE than Scalabrine has ever shot in a season FROM THE FIELD. Here are their career stats:

Matt Bonner:

13.1 points per 36 minutes, 7 rebounds per 36 minutes, 40.9 3PT%, 47.6 FG%

Brian Scalabrine:

8.7 points per 36 minutes, 5.7 rebounds per 36 minutes, 35.3 3PT%, 39.0 FG%

I'm not saying that Bonner is an All-Star or even that he should be a starter, but he's a solid role player, and Spurs fans need to start appreciating what they have, not just with Matt Bonner but with the team in general.

hater
05-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Matt Bonner, and it's not even close. Anyone who says differently is looking at a sample size that's far too small (this season's playoffs), where admittedly Bonner didn't do very well, but neither did any of the Spurs role players. It was pretty contagious.

Matt Bonner just finished a season where he shot a higher percentage FROM THREE POINT RANGE than Scalabrine has ever shot in a season FROM THE FIELD. Here are their career stats:

Matt Bonner:

13.1 points per 36 minutes, 7 rebounds per 36 minutes, 40.9 3PT%, 47.6 FG%

Brian Scalabrine:

8.7 points per 36 minutes, 5.7 rebounds per 36 minutes, 35.3 3PT%, 39.0 FG%

I'm not saying that Bonner is an All-Star or even that he should be a starter, but he's a solid role player, and Spurs fans need to start appreciating what they have, not just with Matt Bonner but with the team in general.

playoffs are what matters.

z0sa
05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
playoffs are what matters.

matt bonner as the 3rd option on the team is why he couldn't score, this fucker didn't get a truly wide open look since game 2. Carlisle adjusted very well against Bonner, Mason, and Finley.

beachwood
05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Scalabrine is by far a better player than Bonner. It's not even up for debate.

hater
05-08-2009, 02:54 PM
matt bonner as the 3rd option on the team is why he couldn't score, this fucker didn't get a truly wide open look since game 2. Carlisle adjusted very well against Bonner, Mason, and Finley.

Bonner and Mason both had a case of shrunken nuts due to playoffs. Scalabrine at least shows some balls. Don't give me that Bonner never had an open look. He either bricked or passed up his open looks.

z0sa
05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Bonner and Mason both had a case of shrunken nuts due to playoffs. Scalabrine at least shows some balls. Don't give me that Bonner never had an open look. He either bricked or passed up his open looks.

they were driving them off the three point line. They were conceding 2-3 feet behind it, and a clear lane to the basket.

carlisle wasn't stupid, he knows our roleplayers are nothing more than one dimensional shooters with subpar games otherwise. He forced them to shoot long 3s or get to the rim. Mason, Finley, and Bonner cannot get to the rim with a man on them, it just doesn't happen (which is why putting Mason at PG was among the worst mistakes of Pop's coaching career)>

lefty
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Bonner may have better numbers during the regular season, but Scalabrine doesn't disappear in the playoffs like........ Bonner

- Game 5 vs the Pistons in 2004, on the road; Scala was huge.

- Or more recently vs Bulls and Magic.

In a nutshell, Playoff Scalabrine is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Playoff Bonner

hater
05-08-2009, 03:30 PM
they were driving them off the three point line. They were conceding 2-3 feet behind it, and a clear lane to the basket.

carlisle wasn't stupid, he knows our roleplayers are nothing more than one dimensional shooters with subpar games otherwise. He forced them to shoot long 3s or get to the rim. Mason, Finley, and Bonner cannot get to the rim with a man on them, it just doesn't happen (which is why putting Mason at PG was among the worst mistakes of Pop's coaching career)>

Look it doesn't matter. A true NBA star finds a way to contribute in the playoffs. Scalabrine did. Bonner didn't. end of story.

superjames1992
05-08-2009, 03:30 PM
One thing to keep in mind about Bonner, too, is that a lot of what he does doesn't show up on the stat sheet. What I mean by this is that whenever he was out on the floor, he had to be covered all the way to the three-point line. This forces bigs out of the paint and out to the perimeter, opening up the inside for guys like Tony Parker and even Tim Duncan. I wonder how much of an effect this had on Tony Parker's career-year.

Also, Bonner was helpful on pick-and-rolls. Whenever Tony or Manu would run off a pick by Bonner, Matt would pop out for a three-pointer. If the defensive big man didn't jump back to quickly cover Bonner, it meant a wide open three-pointer, which Bonner will hit a good deal of the time. This made it hard for opposing big men to cheat out on Parker during pick-and-rolls and made the pick-and-roll a more effective play for driving the ball to the basket.

superjames1992
05-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Look it doesn't matter. A true NBA star finds a way to contribute in the playoffs. Scalabrine did. Bonner didn't. end of story.
I don't believe anyone called Bonner a star. ;)

hater
05-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't believe anyone called Bonner a star. ;)

Bingo. Thus, Bonner = NBA scrub

superjames1992
05-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Bingo. Thus, Bonner = NBA scrub
There's no room for role players in between scrubs and stars? So a guy like Roger Mason is an NBA scrub, as well?

hater
05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Bonner = NBA scrub. Mason = playoff scrub. Until proven otherwise.

Borosai
05-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Scalabrine wears a goofy headband to go with his goofy face: FAIL.

Bonner by a red mile. And a bag of Cheetos.

z0sa
05-08-2009, 05:54 PM

scalabrine saw daylight multiple times that Bonner never experienced once the entire mavs series.

lurker23
05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Bonner may have better numbers during the regular season, but Scalabrine doesn't disappear in the playoffs like........ Bonner

- Game 5 vs the Pistons in 2004, on the road; Scala was huge.

- Or more recently vs Bulls and Magic.

In a nutshell, Playoff Scalabrine is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Playoff Bonner

I don't see how you can really compare the two players in the playoffs. Matt Bonner has played in 16 playoff games, only about 5 of which he got decent playing time. Scalabrine has played in 33 playoff games, with about 18 of those getting decent playing time. If Matt Bonner plays in two playoff series next year and fails to contribute, maybe I'll start to agree with you regarding "playoff Bonner." Until then you need to realize that you're coming to conclusions with far too little data to make an intelligent argument.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Doesn't he have to wear that protective headband? I'd take Scalabrine, he doesn't take away from the C's when he's on the court as much as Bonner does on the defensive end...

Bonner's just as goofy looking as Scalabrine....:elephant

BUT HIS NON-EXISTENT GAME IS NO JOKE.

nkdlunch
05-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Scalabrine taking heads out tonight on game 3

sexinthatsx
05-08-2009, 07:25 PM
yeah I see scalabrine contributing for the celtics like crazy, and i wish bonner could have done the same for us throughout the playoffs. I just find it so fuckin amazing that kevin garnett is out for the rest of the season including playoffs and they lost leon powe too a torn ACL, yet these celtics still manage to keep playing like title contenders by having bench players step up like glen davis, and in this case, brian scalabrine. I know I'm being harsh on bonner, but at this point in time how scalabrine plays, he shows so much more promise than whatever bonner has to offer.

lurker23
05-08-2009, 07:27 PM
For the sake of perspective, let's compare Bonner's first real playoff series with another player's first playoff series.

Bonner: 5 games, 100 minutes, 5 of 23 FGs, 3 of 13 3PTs, 16 rebounds (7.7 rebounds per 48 minutes)
Player B: 5 games, 140 minutes, 12 of 36 FGs, 4 of 17 3PTs, 26 rebounds (8.9 rebounds per 48 minutes).

And player B is....

Robert Horry. (1993 playoffs, Rockets over Clippers; http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1993.html )

Of course, I'm not saying Matt Bonner is or is going to become Robert Horry. I'm simply saying that it's kind of ridiculous to judge whether a player is a "playoff player" based on one series.

Sean Cagney
05-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Bonner = NBA scrub. Mason = playoff scrub. Until proven otherwise.

Those can hit shots all year long (Not really Bonner late though in the regular season) and then when the playoffs begin the shrivel up and miss everything, I can see them both being just like that. I thought Mase was cold this year with his clutch shots, maybe next year he will prove otherwise and get back to playing his true position and get that confidence back and hit shots like he was. I thought he would have a good playoffs and was fit, I was wrong but maybe Pop ruined that at the backup PG?
For the sake of perspective, let's compare Bonner's first real playoff series with another player's first playoff series.

Bonner: 5 games, 100 minutes, 5 of 23 FGs, 3 of 13 3PTs, 16 rebounds (7.7 rebounds per 48 minutes)
Player B: 5 games, 140 minutes, 12 of 36 FGs, 4 of 17 3PTs, 26 rebounds (8.9 rebounds per 48 minutes).

And player B is....

Robert Horry. (1993 playoffs, Rockets over Clippers; http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1993.html )

Of course, I'm not saying Matt Bonner is or is going to become Robert Horry. I'm simply saying that it's kind of ridiculous to judge whether a player is a "playoff player" based on one series.
Lets not let him stay here and starting and find that out, oh GOD please just no..... No more shot for that guy, he is horrible and does little and shows not flashes of getting better. Horry atleast was very atlhetic and good on D, Bonner is just a stiff who can shoot threes and not even that as of late. Bonner shall not be judged again, because hopefully he doesn't get out there in the playoffs as our C again, especially not a starter.

arodz
05-09-2009, 12:06 AM
If the question was: Who's the most embarassing white big man this post season....I'd have to give the nod to Bonner. I'll give him that much, at least.

lefty
05-09-2009, 01:04 AM
I don't see how you can really compare the two players in the playoffs. Matt Bonner has played in 16 playoff games, only about 5 of which he got decent playing time. Scalabrine has played in 33 playoff games, with about 18 of those getting decent playing time. If Matt Bonner plays in two playoff series next year and fails to contribute, maybe I'll start to agree with you regarding "playoff Bonner." Until then you need to realize that you're coming to conclusions with far too little data to make an intelligent argument.

Well, even with more playoff games in his CV, Bonner will suck anyway

Sean Cagney
05-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, even with more playoff games in his CV, Bonner will suck anyway

Yes thats right, why give him the chance here? If he is our starting C next year we are in big trouble again and will lose later on in the playoffs whether Manu is there or not, he is just flat out HORRIBLE! This year is very forgetable IMO, especially the part of this clown starting and getting mins. He doesn't start or play at all last year WCF's, this year he does alot and first round! He is to blame somewhat on that, he is horrible.

45 bank shot
05-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Oh thaz cuz he had concussion

lurker23
05-09-2009, 08:50 AM
44% 3 point shooter = scrub.

I assume this is sarcasm? 44% puts you at #4 on career 3PT% all-time, and in the top 100 seasons in NBA history. In fact, Matt Bonner just had the 90th best 3 point shooting season in the history of the NBA.

45 bank shot
05-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Matt bonner is real bad. He might show up in a game or two during the season and he usually does by registering a double double. However he's limited on offensive end and just plain horrible on defence. We'll lose bad if we play this guy as a starter

RamReddy
05-09-2009, 06:27 PM
If this was about 4 months ago Id say Bonner,
But he got super cold and decided not to play defense,
He is also the reason we lost to the mavs...
Now they both look like D-league material

So i'll pass on both.

holcs50
05-09-2009, 06:45 PM
what a ridiculous thread. i mean who cares? They both are fire crotches who suck. Personally though I don't care about all these numbers you guys are throwing out and all that BS....what matters is bonner is a POS who is worthless in the playoffs...when the only thing you can do is hit open 3's-and you don't make those then your a scrub/worthless/waste of space...and lets not even start on the defensive end.

Give me scalabrine-he at least can make a playoff shot or two, and hustles a little on defense. They both suck though, end of story.

superjames1992
05-09-2009, 11:18 PM
If this was about 4 months ago Id say Bonner,
But he got super cold and decided not to play defense,
He is also the reason we lost to the mavs...
Now they both look like D-league material

So i'll pass on both.
Bonner wasn't even one the floor most of the Mavs series, so it's really wrong to say that he's the reason that we lost. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with everyone other than Timmy and Tony not showing up to play...

z0sa
05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Bonner wasn't even one the floor most of the Mavs series, so it's really wrong to say that he's the reason that we lost. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with everyone other than Timmy and Tony not showing up to play...

There were droves of idiots blaming Bonner for the losses.

Literally droves of dumbasses, blaming who should be our 5/6th option on offense and defense for the series.

I pretty much only lurk now, infact (i always did, but when all our fans are writing the team off and can't even understand why we're losing..) because of how stupid pretty much everyone was during the first round - including myself, for believing Pop would use the best players in their best roles, not Mason at PG, Hill at 2guard, way too little Gooden, etc.

imo, as a whole, Tim Duncan does not deserve the absolute lack of competence from Popovich and the FO when it comes to certain personnel decisions, FA and trades - they truly blew it this season when they didn't manage to get any help before the deadline. Like any spurfan should, I kept believing even when my intuition told me this team is full of scrubs from #4 option (or finley, whatever you want to call that) down.

PDXSpursFan
05-10-2009, 02:23 PM
both are red-headed stepchildren who belong in the european game, not the nba - i cringe any time i think about bonner starting games for the spurs

+10

VI_Massive
05-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I've seen Scal grab a few rebounds in these playoffs, so I guess I'll take him.

SouthTexasRancher
05-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Who would you rather have? All in all they look like the same player, but scalabrine seems he has more hustle than matt bonner...

Neither...I'd rather have two LeBron's instead!!!

KuntryDude
05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
This is the NBA. Okay, who's gonna give open shots. Bonner is a starting five! And may I add, a starting five for a dynasty team. Find your shots dammit. So what you're off....They're other ways to contribute (i.e. DEFENSE, hussle, etc.) I didn't see any of this from Bonner. When will you guys come to realize that this guy is not NBA material. However, but a complete waste of a 6'10 frame.