PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about lawnmowers.

Summers
05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
So... RG and I are moving into a house next month. As adults, we've never had lawns to take care of until now. I know how to mow a lawn but I don't know what to buy.

I know they still make (non-motorized?) mowers, but I've never used one. Do they work as well as electric or gas ones? The yards are fairly small, so I don't think I need a lot of horse power to keep the grass trimmed. Do the non-electric ones work well or do you have to go over the same patch of grass several times?

If we get an electric mower, would it be a bad idea to look at garage sales?

boutons_deux
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
get a pushmower, K.I.S.S, and cheap. Sears has sale this weekend:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Lawn+%26+Garden_Walk-Behind+Lawn+Mowers_Push+Mowers?sLevel=2

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Lawn care sucks donkey dick. The crabgrass is kicking my ass this year.

CubanMustGo
05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Reel mowers work OK. You have to keep the blades sharp. Don't remember having to go over the grass multiple times when I had one. You will have to make more passes since they don't cut as much (they're not as wide) as a gas/electric, but if the yard is small that's no big deal.

The other thing you will need is some kind of edger or weed whacker. The electric ones do a good enough job as long as you don't mind dragging extension cords all over creation.

ORION
05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
So... RG and I are moving into a house next month. As adults, we've never had lawns to take care of until now. I know how to mow a lawn but I don't know what to buy.

I know they still make (non-motorized?) mowers, but I've never used one. Do they work as well as electric or gas ones? The yards are fairly small, so I don't think I need a lot of horse power to keep the grass trimmed. Do the non-electric ones work well or do you have to go over the same patch of grass several times?

If we get an electric mower, would it be a bad idea to look at garage sales?
I used a "non-electric" one for a while. They keep your grass greener because its like a scissor cut instead of a hack so the tips are still green. However they can be hard to work because you will have to mow at least once a week. Also if your lawn is not level you could have trouble pushing and might have to do it a few times in different directions or you might scalp it.

Summers
05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks all of you for the thoughts. I may have to drive back by the house to see how level the lawn is before I get an old-fashioned one. I guess I like the idea of using something that doesn't wake the entire neighborhood up or use electricity.

ORION
05-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks all of you for the thoughts. I may have to drive back by the house to see how level the lawn is before I get an old-fashioned one. I guess I like the idea of using something that doesn't wake the entire neighborhood up or use electricity.
They give you a good work out. What kind of grass is it?

Soul_Patch
05-08-2009, 08:43 AM
It depends a lot on the type of grass too. St. Augustine can get really thick sometimes and using an old fashion mower on that can really be a pain unless you really keep on top of it.

Summers
05-08-2009, 08:49 AM
They give you a good work out. What kind of grass is it?

Yep, I remember getting blisters every month when it was my turn to mow growing up. My parents have 2 big yards.

I have no clue what kind of grass it is, except it's not the dark, skinny kind, which I think is winter rye. It's a rental, so I assume it's whatever grows naturally.

ORION
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Yep, I remember getting blisters every month when it was my turn to mow growing up. My parents have 2 big yards.

I have no clue what kind of grass it is, except it's not the dark, skinny kind, which I think is winter rye. It's a rental, so I assume it's whatever grows naturally.
Different grass types have to cut to different lengths. If you want a green healthy lawn it does take a lot of hard work.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
If you don't spend 50-60 dollars a month watering it you won't have to worry about cutting it.

JoeChalupa
05-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I've used the same mower for the past 8 yrs or so. Briggs & Stratton engine and haven't had any problems and I just don't mow too early. I think last year I mowed the lawn a handful of times at the most. I'll mow tomorrow for the first time this year.

JoeChalupa
05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
We don't water our lawn though and if I do I just do it manually with a hose.

Taco
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8452/mowthelawn.jpg

Mow the Lawn
Never Rake the Yard Method
This is what I do.
I start at the outer edge of the lawn with the mower discharge pointing towards the center of the yard.
I work my way from the outside edge of the lawn inwards with the theory being you mulch the grass as you work you way inwards.

This will also work for leaves

Note: This method will not work too well if your yard is overgrown like a jungle

Good luck

Of course of you have a mulching lawn mower ignore this method :lol

BacktoBasics
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I'll mow your lawn baby :eyebrows

Bender
05-08-2009, 09:45 AM
or just use a mulching mower and mow in whatever directions to feel like

Taco
05-08-2009, 09:46 AM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8452/mowthelawn.jpg

Mow the Lawn

Of course of you have a mulching lawn mower ignore this method :lol

or just use a mulching mower and mow in whatever directions to feel like

:tu

SpursWoman
05-08-2009, 09:49 AM
We have an old junker hand-me-down lawnmower ... it's a push mower and we live on a pretty steep hill, so one day we'll get around to a self-propelled one. Because the push one is a bitch.

I love to work in the yard ... but User won't let me do any of the mowing. I have to run and do it when he's not home if I ever want a turn. :lol

Bender
05-08-2009, 09:49 AM
oh man, sorry Taco, didn't see your last statement there....

but User won't let me do any of the mowing.
it's the opposite at my house. My wife won't let me do any mowing, she wants to do it "properly" herself...

fine by me :lol

Horn Tooter
05-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I use a lawn service and let the vatos take care of it.

tlongII
05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Snapper!

SpursWoman
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
oh man, sorry Taco, didn't see your last statement there....

it's the opposite at my house. My wife won't let me do any mowing, she wants to do it "properly" herself...

fine by me :lol

That's exactly why I don't let him touch the weedeater/edger, though. :lmao

I used to do it all of the time ... I'm not quite sure what happened to change his mind. :wtf

I love to put on some headphones and sweat off a good 3-5 lbs doing it. I did it last weekend when he went out to do some errands ... he didn't seem to have a problem that I did it. :nerd :cooldevil

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I have two lawn mowers and a xeriscape yard...no grass.

So I'll be selling mine cheap if you want it. But you'll have to swing by Albuquerque to pick it up. If you're driving from San Antonio to Dallas it's only about an 18 hour detour.

Blake
05-08-2009, 10:45 AM
how much square footage of yard are we talking here? You might be able to get away with a simple weedwacker....

sidebar: are you guys first time home buyers?

I'm beyond jealous of the $8000 credit being given out this year.

mrsmaalox
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Well I have never mowed a lawn in my life and wouldn't even know how to start one (you yank on a rope, right?). But I do use electric hedgetrimmers and I usually end up having to replace my extension cord a couple times per year, because I'll zig when I should have zagged. So for lawn mowers I don't think I'd consider electric, but that's just me :)

CavsSuperFan
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
It is unbelievable how cavalier some of you are about one of life’s most important decisions…

Choosing the proper lawn mower is no less important than choosing the perfect bar be que/ smoker, pick up truck or wife…Your mower says a lot about you…Buy quality!

I agree with Tlong…Hondas & Sears are great but I prefer the Snapper Hi Vac…I cross cut the lawn & it looks awesome…The Hi Vac vacuums up the maple leaves & that goes into the mulch pile…

AlamoSpursFan
05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I selected the proper lawn mower...

http://www.angliamowers.co.uk/pages/commonimages/John_Deere/Tractors/X300.jpg

(Edit: Holy crap...apparently I also selected a life-size jpg of said lawnmower! Sorry about that)

E20
05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Summers you're married to RandomGuy? WTF :wow damn you think you know everything.

but what coinicdence i'm about to go buy a 90 dollar mower of craigslist right now.

Summers
05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Summers you're married to RandomGuy? WTF :wow damn you think you know everything.

but what coinicdence i'm about to go buy a 90 dollar mower of craigslist right now.

I thought everyone knew that. :lol

I looked on craigslist. We can't afford a new one unless we wait until July to mow the lawn. And apparently if we don't water the lawn, we wont' need to!

To answer someone else's question, we're not buying :(. It's a rental, but it's our first non-apartment home. Our kids will have a yard to play in and we won't have drunk college kids screaming outside our bedroom windows at midnight.

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
if you wan i can come over and mow ur lawn free....i like me women clean cut shaven down there....

Summers
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
if you wan i can come over and mow ur lawn free....i like me women clean cut shaven down there....

Now I'm just scared.

leemajors
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM

I looked on craigslist. We can't afford a new one unless we wait until July to mow the lawn. And apparently if we don't water the lawn, we wont' need to!

To answer someone else's question, we're not buying :(. It's a rental, but it's our first non-apartment home. Our kids will have a yard to play in and we won't have drunk college kids screaming outside our bedroom windows at midnight.

they have a 5.5 Briggs/Stratton MTD at Lowe's for ~180 with a 2 year warranty. I got one three weeks ago to replace mine that had been stolen. I have a half acre yard, it works great.

Mixability
05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Just bought a house back in August 2008(hell yeah, $8500 rebate!, gotta pay it back though)

Had a reel mower up until this past weekend. It was doing fine, but it was taking a while to do the whole lawn. I had to go back with the weedeater to get all the tall stuff that the reel mower would just pass over.

Since I wanted to spend more time in the yard enjoying it with the wife and kid and less time maintaining it, I went and bought a more powerful mower.

I went with the electric wireless Black and Decker model. I didn't want to mess with gas and maintenance, thats why I went electric. And i didnt want to worry about chopping up extension cords, which is why i went rechargable. The initial charge was 9 hours, but it lasted the whole yard, which I didn't expect, especially since it was pretty long. I liked that I could have a conversation with the Mrs. while it was running, unlike having to scream over a gas mower. It cost twice as much as the other mowers available, but it had all the features I wanted. :tu

Blake
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Just bought a house back in August 2008(hell yeah, $8500 rebate!, gotta pay it back though)

yeah, this year you don't.

Im still beyond jealous of that.

Blake
05-08-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm not gonna tell you you should buy, but I would highly, highly recommend looking into it.

$8000 credit if you get it before Dec 1.

FaithInOne
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I selected the proper lawn mower...

http://www.angliamowers.co.uk/pages/commonimages/John_Deere/Tractors/X300.jpg

(Edit: Holy crap...apparently I also selected a life-size jpg of said lawnmower! Sorry about that)

I'm a Hustler type of guy myself :downspin:
http://thompsoneq.com/UserFiles/Image/Hustler_Mini_Fas_Trak.jpg
If you actually make use of the 0* Degree Turn it is so heavy it tears up the grass (carpet) though :lol

Mixability
05-08-2009, 04:32 PM
yeah, this year you don't.

Im still beyond jealous of that.

Yup, here's another tidbit for ya jealous types.

20k down, 10k paid by bank through employee discount = 10k down by me.

10k - 8.5k rebate = $1500 for a house. Add that to having a bigger refund due to now being married and claiming a child = $0 for a house.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Yup, here's another tidbit for ya jealous types.

20k down, 10k paid by bank through employee discount = 10k down by me.

10k - 8.5k rebate = $1500 for a house. Add that to having a bigger refund due to now being married and claiming a child = $0 for a house.

I presume you mean 0 down payment and not 0 for a house. The tax credit is 10% of the purchase price up to a max of 8K. If you bought some shit hole for $20,000 the tax credit would just be $2000.

sook
05-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Just get yourself one of thse...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3165316/2/istockphoto_3165316_mexican.jpg

IronMexican
05-08-2009, 05:43 PM

I never knew.

Biernutz
05-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Take it from someone who has cut grass since the 3rd grade. If you have any exercise equipment that you hang clothes on, you need to get a self-propelled mower. Never think pushing a lawn mower as a good workout. Think of it as work and a self-propelled mower is worth every penny. When you buy the mower get a bag attachment for it as in the fall you can use it to pick up the leaves. I always buy the Sears mowers as you can get them repaired if you can't and it is easy to go to Sears to get parts(blades,filters,belts). Honda mowers are the very best but get your $$$$$ out. If you are a single women who is going to buy a house , buy a self-propelled mower or figure in lawn service in your budget. Never count on family members to cut your grass or up keep on your house. If you don't cut your yard and keep your yard up, there is a good chance your next door neighbors will call the city on you. Count on it. Don't buy a electric mower if you have a big yard or you don't like to push the mower.

Summers
05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
they have a 5.5 Briggs/Stratton MTD at Lowe's for ~180 with a 2 year warranty. I got one three weeks ago to replace mine that had been stolen. I have a half acre yard, it works great.

Now that I can afford. The other link had more expensive mowers.

leemajors
05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Now that I can afford. The other link had more expensive mowers.

mulching mower + bag too. i figure if it lasts me 2 years i can get another, or hopefully afford something better then.

tsb2000
05-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure about lawn mowers, but I know they're still making landscapers; they come in all sizes and price ranges. :spin :lol

PM5K
05-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Take it from someone who has cut grass since the 3rd grade. If you have any exercise equipment that you hang clothes on, you need to get a self-propelled mower. Never think pushing a lawn mower as a good workout. Think of it as work and a self-propelled mower is worth every penny. When you buy the mower get a bag attachment for it as in the fall you can use it to pick up the leaves. I always buy the Sears mowers as you can get them repaired if you can't and it is easy to go to Sears to get parts(blades,filters,belts). Honda mowers are the very best but get your $$$$$ out. If you are a single women who is going to buy a house , buy a self-propelled mower or figure in lawn service in your budget. Never count on family members to cut your grass or up keep on your house. If you don't cut your yard and keep your yard up, there is a good chance your next door neighbors will call the city on you. Count on it. Don't buy a electric mower if you have a big yard or you don't like to push the mower.

That's pretty much what I would have said.

I bought a self propelled mower from Sears about three years ago, it was a return that looked brand new and if I recall cost me 179.99

Check Craigslist, Sears for returns, and pawn shops if you need to find a cheap mower.

It's a mulching mower that can also rear bag, just as Biernutz, it works great for picking up leaves in the fall, and the rest of the time you can just mulch.

I guess it really depends on the size of your yard though.

boutons_deux
05-09-2009, 11:48 AM
My $180 Craftsman push mower has no exit for cuttings, no bag, no mulching blade. Stupidly simple, like a Repug. It cuts/mulches grass and leaves (pecan, sycamore), leaving no clumps.

E20
05-09-2009, 02:15 PM
fuck the lawnmore i bought of some dude is fucking garbage. that shit is fucking bullshit. the engine fucking fell apart after i tried mowing for about 5 minutes.

Mixability
05-11-2009, 05:00 PM
I presume you mean 0 down payment and not 0 for a house. The tax credit is 10% of the purchase price up to a max of 8K. If you bought some shit hole for $20,000 the tax credit would just be $2000.

Oh no way, after it was all said and done after I got the rebate a month ago, I now have more in the bank than I did before.