PDA

View Full Version : The Forgotten Badass

duncan228
05-08-2009, 02:46 PM
The Forgotten Badass (http://dimemag.com/2009/05/the-forgotten-badass/)
By Austin Burton

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/adidaslead.jpg
photo. adidas

The e-mails started early yesterday morning, and unfortunately I was asleep through most of the exchange. (Occupational hazard of living on the West Coast.) If I’d been awake, I wouldn’t have gotten a headache from Dime’s Top 25 Motherf*ckers of All-Time (http://dimemag.com/2009/05/top-25-motherfckers-of-all-time/).

The original list we debated had more than SIXTY names on it for consideration. Darrell Armstrong was on it. Kenny Smith was there. Clarence Weatherspoon’s name popped up. Yeah, the same ‘Spoon who I saw at ‘08 All-Star in New Orleans looking like he just ate all the cowboys from the Mini Sirloin Burgers commercial. While I threw in my two cents — lobbying for Allen Iverson and Oscar Robertson — there was one name I intentionally didn’t mention, waiting to see if somebody would step up and mention it first, then to see if we would actually make a definitive list of all-time ice-cold ballplayers and yet completely ignore maybe the coldest.

Where the F*CK is Tim Duncan?

The most successful player of the post-Jordan era isn’t a motherf*cker? The best NBA player of the last decade — his only real competitors are Shaq and Kobe — doesn’t crack the list over Terry Cummings?

Tim Duncan is a Top-5 MF’er. Judging by Andrew Katz’s first article on the topic (http://dimemag.com/2009/05/andrew-bynum-needs-to-be-a-motherfucker/), he absolutely has to be:

This mentality has nothing to do with trying to hurt anyone else — it’s simply a matter of exacting your will on the opposition. A motherf*cker’s ultimate goal isn’t just to block a shot into the third row or steal the ball from someone in the backcourt. It’s to live in your man’s head.

That’s not Duncan? If screaming and taunting and generally being out-loud with your passion for the game aren’t requirements for MF status, you can’t deny that Duncan’s entire career has been him exacting his will on opponents, destroying them and living in their head. Doing it in that cold, robotic, quiet storm fashion shouldn’t be a knock on him. After all, Bill Russell is high on the MF list. John Stockton is there. Even David Robinson was on the original list of candidates.

Championship-clinching Game Six of the ‘03 Finals: Duncan put up 21 points, 20 boards, 10 assists and eight blocks, while his counterpart Kenyon Martin goes 3-for-23. That’s a Motherf*cker Game if there ever was one. That same year, in the conference semis-clinching win over the Lakers (ending their hopes of a four-peat), Duncan drops 37 points and 16 boards and had Kobe and Derek Fisher literally crying on the bench at the end. That’s a MF’er Game. And if those are too far back in history for you, let’s go to 2008, Game One of the Spurs/Suns series: 40 points, 15 boards, five dimes, three blocks, and Duncan hits a three to force the second overtime. Or let’s go to the 2009 regular-season finale, when the Spurs needed a win over the Hornets to clinch a division title and homecourt in the first round: Duncan goes for 20 points, 19 boards and six assists, but more importantly, he DOMINATES the entire overtime period. Read about it here (http://dimemag.com/2009/04/dime-smack-nba-playoff-matchups-tim-duncan-chris-paul-jason-kidd-triple-double/). Vintage MF’er performance.

The leader of every sports dynasty and quasi-dynasty — Jordan, Russell, Montana, Mean Joe, even Laettner at Duke — has to be an ultimate badass, an indisputable MF’er. Duncan is the leader of San Antonio’s four-championship run, and while guys like Bruce Bowen and Stephen Jackson were along for the ride as invaluable badasses along the way, Duncan was always the Alpha Motherf*cker.

Ask yourself this: Who has ever punked Tim Duncan? You don’t see him getting Godfather-slapped by David West, or two-pieced by Chris Childs, or busted in the chest by Anthony Peeler. It’s not because Duncan doesn’t make opponents want to go after him — think of how frustrated guys like Shaq, Amar’e and Dampier get when they’re eating TD’s mind-numbing dose of J’s and post moves — it’s just that nobody bucks up on him. Are they scared of Duncan? Not necessarily. But every guy knows the risk factor in challenging the token loudmouth sh*t-talker versus that quiet cat with the icy glare and a calm demeanor amongst chaos. If you’re smart, one of them should put a little more uncertainty in your heart than the other.

Some of the MF’ers discussed over the last few days have that aforementioned Floyd Mayweather way about them, beating you up while telling you all about it. But Tim Duncan has that Bruce Lee swagger. And I wouldn’t wanna test that motherf*cker, either.

xtremesteven33
05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Man i miss seeing Timmy play already :(

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Great read. I like it.

Spursfan092120
05-08-2009, 02:50 PM
:depressed And the rest of them too..well...most of them...I don't miss seeing Bonner play. Manu, Tony, Timmy...yeah.

Mel_13
05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=duncan228;3376935]The Forgotten Badass (http://dimemag.com/2009/05/the-forgotten-badass/)
By Austin Burton

/QUOTE]

That was truly awesome. Thank 228

duncan228
05-08-2009, 03:00 PM

It's always a long off season for me, even when he plays in June.

This is when recording the games comes in handy. It helps to be able to watch the best of the season.

sonic21
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
great read, thanks 228

Spursmania
05-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Yeah:depressed

Also miss seeing the big 3 together too. It's been awhile.

SpursWench21
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
+100
Very nice read, thanks duncan228!:flag:

lefty
05-08-2009, 03:24 PM
A 100% healthy Duncan during the playoffs is something special to watch.

He may avarage 19 ppg during the regular season, but can average 25, 15, 5 and 4 during the playoffs

neboat
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
very nice read, thank you!

Viva Las Espuelas
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
It's always a long off season for me, even when he plays in June.

This is when recording the games comes in handy. It helps to be able to watch the best of the season.
i say the big guy has about 2 or 3 more years in him. i hope he goes away with one or two more, but the thing with him is he could leave tomorrow and have no regrets about his decision. i hope he leaves with a bang like the admiral.

tp2021
05-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Championship-clinching Game Six of the ‘03 Finals: Duncan put up 21 points, 20 boards, 10 assists and eight blocks, while his counterpart Kenyon Martin goes 3-for-23. That’s a Motherf*cker Game if there ever was one.

Duncan is the leader of San Antonio’s four-championship run, and while guys like Bruce Bowen and Stephen Jackson were along for the ride as invaluable badasses along the way, Duncan was always the Alpha Motherf*cker.

But Tim Duncan has that Bruce Lee swagger. And I wouldn’t wanna test that motherf*cker, either.

My favorites. Thank you for sharing this 228, you Motherf*cker. And I mean that in the best, Tim Duncan-kind of way. :)

Spurs Brazil
05-08-2009, 05:19 PM

I'm already seeing old tapes.

Yesterday I saw a Spurs at Nuggets in 2001

Bukefal
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Great read!!!

Yeah, I know, I miss seeing the whole team playing. damnn cant wait till next season.

GSH
05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
There's an old saying, "The guys who talk it the most, do it the least." I also remember one of my first coaches telling me, "The dog you have to worry about isn't the one that's barking - it's the one that just comes up and takes a piece out of your ass."

All the guys that talk smack do it for a reason - they want people to be afraid of that image. Duncan is the definition of a badass. He doesn't talk shit because he doesn't need to. Good article, but it sadly only plays to a small audience. Too many people want to believe that chest-thumping actually means something, because that gives them hope. Maybe if they beat their own chests enough, somebody will pay attention to them someday.

After 12 seasons in the league (plus 2 1/2 seasons of playoff games), playing with bad knees, and with no help from anyone but Tony Parker, he still managed to put up 30 in that last game against Dallas. Everyone in the arena knew where the ball was going. And it's not like the Mavs didn't want to stop him - they couldn't. That's badass.

samikeyp
05-08-2009, 08:09 PM
No one who knows basketball will ever forget Tim Duncan.

dougp
05-08-2009, 08:15 PM
he is a bad mutha.......

Shut yo mouth!

Summers
05-08-2009, 08:23 PM
he is a bad mutha.......

Shutcho mouth! :hat

Weird article, but I loved it.

Summers
05-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Shut yo mouth!

Ah, damnit!! :lol

dougp
05-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Ah, damnit!! :lol

That was like 8 minutes earlier! lmao

Summers
05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
That was like 8 minutes earlier! lmao

I know; I should've refreshed after reading the article and before posting. :lol

honestfool84
05-09-2009, 12:08 AM
AWESOME read.

thanks, duncan228.

BWS-1994
05-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Some of the MF’ers discussed over the last few days have that aforementioned Floyd Mayweather way about them, beating you up while telling you all about it. But Tim Duncan has that Bruce Lee swagger. And I wouldn’t wanna test that motherf*cker, either.

Good comparison :tu

TD doesn't talk much but lets his game do all the ass kicking.

At least Bruce made the list :toast

crc21209
05-09-2009, 02:59 AM
:toast Bad-ass article. TD is a bad motha oh yeah... u know...

Thomas82
05-09-2009, 06:48 PM

So do I.

Thomas82
05-09-2009, 06:51 PM
There's an old saying, "The guys who talk it the most, do it the least." I also remember one of my first coaches telling me, "The dog you have to worry about isn't the one that's barking - it's the one that just comes up and takes a piece out of your ass."

All the guys that talk smack do it for a reason - they want people to be afraid of that image. Duncan is the definition of a badass. He doesn't talk shit because he doesn't need to. Good article, but it sadly only plays to a small audience. Too many people want to believe that chest-thumping actually means something, because that gives them hope. Maybe if they beat their own chests enough, somebody will pay attention to them someday.

After 12 seasons in the league (plus 2 1/2 seasons of playoff games), playing with bad knees, and with no help from anyone but Tony Parker, he still managed to put up 30 in that last game against Dallas. Everyone in the arena knew where the ball was going. And it's not like the Mavs didn't want to stop him - they couldn't. That's badass.

That quote said it all.

m33p0
05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
dammit :cry

m33p0
05-10-2009, 11:00 AM
kevin garnett did slap tim once. but tim went on to win the championship that year. :lol

blondie would have made a better comparison to tim than bruce lee, imo.

boutons_deux
05-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Tim in a non-stop trash-talker, with his game doing all the talking.

cherylsteele
05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I thought you all were talking about Mario Elie

pjjrfan
05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Calvin Murphy, Marvin Barnes, Walt Frazier, the Bull's tandem of Jerry Sloane and Norm Van Lier, Phil Jackson, yes the zen master even looked like a goon. During the 70's the talk of the NBA was how Calvin Murphy beat the holy crap out of Sidney Wicks who was 6'9" to Calvin's 5'9". Too bad you tube wasn't around back then. I don't believe there are any more bad asses in the current NBA league. Certainly not anyone who has come into the league since 2000. The league just won't allow it anymore.

superbigtime
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
" Duncan (20 pts, 19 rebs, 6 asts) won the game by himself while the Spurs announcers made sounds on-air that you should only make with the lights off … "

So true, but isn't that every game for Bill Land?

The Truth #6
05-11-2009, 01:16 AM
I think the same arguments could be made for Manu.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I

love

it!