PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help: Engagement Ring Department

mob
05-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Ladies

I am getting a ring for someone special.

1) how much more lower can I realistically bring down the price?
2) how important is it to get it appraised by another company? (they are big company and trusted)
3) best way to pay?
4) if custom design, should I wait to pay even one cent until its made?

Guys, you guys chirp in as well please

desflood
05-09-2009, 09:03 AM
This is going to sound crazy coming from a woman, but you can help yourself by GETTING A SMALLER RING. Diamonds don't really say "Forever". They say "I support South African cartels." Paying that much for one ring makes you crazy and if she expects you to do it she's crazy. And if she doesn't expect it and she's just a nice girl, walking down the street with that much rock on her hand is going to make her worry about being mugged.

Just my two cents. Sorry it wasn't actually helpful in any way. :lol

01Snake
05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
This is going to sound crazy coming from a woman, but you can help yourself by GETTING A SMALLER RING. Diamonds don't really say "Forever". They say "I support South African cartels." Paying that much for one ring makes you crazy and if she expects you to do it she's crazy. And if she doesn't expect it and she's just a nice girl, walking down the street with that much rock on her hand is going to make her worry about being mugged.

Just my two cents. Sorry it wasn't actually helpful in any way. :lol

Uhhhh? That's not a big engagement ring.

ploto
05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
3) best way to pay?

Buy something you can afford.

marini martini
05-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Just buy her a 10ct. white sapphire, spend the big bux on your honeymoon.

spurster
05-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Agree on buying something you can afford. Going into debt for an engagement ring is STUPID on everyone's part. Show some discipline and save the money before buying a ring. If you two can't do that, how are you going have the discipline to maintain your marriage?

desflood
05-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Uhhhh? That's not a big engagement ring.
Sorry. I'll rephrase.

BUY A CHEAPER RING.

Better?

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
a cock ring only costs 5 bucks, do the maths

Wild Cobra
05-09-2009, 10:24 AM
For an engagement ring, spend all you can afford. Buy at least an S1/J quality. Do not buy an I quality or color worse than a J. If you can, buy a VS/F or better. The better the clarity and color, the higher the price.

As for the appraisal... Especially in this economy, you should be ably to get at least 40% off any appraised value. I just bought a nice necklace for my lady at 60% off a few days ago.

I'd suggest going between .25 to .75 carats for the main stone. Not total weight. Larger is great, but a VS/F will be very expensive at 1 carat and larger.

Earrings, bracelets, etc. not so important on the stone quality and you can go with the S2 or Ix clarities and K or worse colors, unless the stones are larger than about .2 carats. The engagement ring however is important. Get one that sparkles sweet, even if you must get a smaller one to stay affordable.

Cut is also important. Besides being round, princess, etc, there are several of each as well. I suggest checking out the Leo diamonds. They are sweet...

Kay Jewelers, Leo's (http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryProductsView?storeId=10101&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&categoryId=15485&topCatId=15064&bcCatIds=15064.15118.15485&N=0&Ne=1&Ntk=Category&Ntt=15485)

http://www.eglusa.com/color.html

Horn Tooter
05-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Why not go higher?

TwAnKiEs
05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Just go the the flea man! :tu

remingtonbo2001
05-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I've only purchased from Americus Diamonds. I was very pleased with the quality of the diamond and the service I received.

Just my two cents, $7500 is a bit much. Anyways, I hope you and your lovely lady have a wonderful marriage together.

angel_luv
05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I've only purchased from Americus Diamonds. I was very pleased with the quality of the diamond and the service I received.

Just my two cents, $7500 is a bit much. Anyways, I hope you and your lovely lady have a wonderful marriage together.

I second the Americus Diamonds recommendation.

$7500 does sound like a lot of money.

Isn't the engagement ring only supposed to cost the guy 2-3 months salary?

mrsmaalox
05-09-2009, 12:58 PM
It's kind of difficult to give an opinion about your diamond without knowing more than just the price. Right off the top though, that sounds like a lot. I think not too large/expensive is better for an engagement ring. One reason is that, although I don't know about your financial situation, why would anyone want to start off a marriage with debt of any kind? When you are setting up a new household, there are a lot of other things you will want/need. Another thing to give much thought to is the style/setting. If you are buying a solitaire, what are the wedding rings going to look like? If the bridal set is going to have multiple stones, you don't need a very large head stone. Also a diamond is a very beautiful, symbolic stone but you need to be sure it is her absolute favorite stone. I'm not saying she won't like it, just that if it's not her favorite stone, a smaller less expensive stone will be just as beautiful and meaningful to her. You'll be surprised how many women don't really care for diamonds, but just wear one as a symbol. And one last thing :)....consider your own personality. I married a man who loves to give jewelry as a gift (i have no problem with that), but he is very particular about collections, artisans, and most of it is custom made. So over the years I have received anniversary rings that have sent my initial engagement ring to sit in a safety deposit box!

I don't know if you live in San Antonio, but if you do I recommend visiting here before you purchase http://www.thejewelersworkbench.com/about-us.aspx, as we don't care for the big name operations. They are wonderful artists, gemologists, and just plain down to earth people (and very conscious of and activist against the conlict/blood diamond trade). They will guide you and advise you and make sure you find something perfect!

BlackSwordsMan
05-09-2009, 12:58 PM
break up and buy an hdtv

ploto
05-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Personally, I think that is too much. A guy making $60,000/ year does not need to spend $10-$15,000 on an engagement ring.

angel_luv
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Personally, I think that is too much. A guy making $60,000/ year does not need to spend $10-$15,000 on an engagement ring.

Good point. I would not want one that expensive.

mob
05-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

The ring would not set me back or put me in debt. I mean I ain't the richest guy around, but the ring is manageable.

The center diamond is just under 1 ct. The two surround diamonds are .25 ct. She isn't asking for anything in particular, she doesn't want 20k ring cause she will just get mugged.

Normally how much haggling can you do on the "marked" price

chode_regulator
05-09-2009, 11:42 PM
I second the Americus Diamonds recommendation.

$7500 does sound like a lot of money.

Well at three months salary that 7500 would mean that the man only makes like 30/yr. Not a whole lot of money.
Try doing math before posting

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2009, 11:51 PM
remember if the engagement doesn't work out, you get the ring back :tu

Wild Cobra
05-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Well at three months salary that 7500 would mean that the man only makes like 30/yr. Not a whole lot of money.
Try doing math before posting
$7500 definitely isn't too much money for an engagement ring when you remember Cut, Clarity, and Color. The same size diamond can vary so much in price. Quality matters for an engagement ring. A decent ring with an SI1/J main stone should cost about $1,200. That would be one around a 0.3 to 0.4 stone with a few smaller ones. Put a VS/F diamond in the same setting and it might approach the $7,500.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Have her pick it out. You'll probably screw it up.

Spur-Addict
05-10-2009, 02:07 AM
break up and buy an hdtv

+1

chode_regulator
05-10-2009, 02:11 AM

I had alot of input plus her friend worked at a jewelry store and she knew what my wife was looking for too. She gets compliments on it like every day still.
similar to this but one more band and a bigger diamond in the middle

http://img.orolatina.com/products/102dr4660a.jpg

Wild Cobra
05-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I had alot of input plus her friend worked at a jewelry store and she knew what my wife was looking for too. She gets compliments on it like every day still.

I not only think that's ugly, but way overpriced.

1.05 total carat weight between more than 60 stones... The 7 larger middle ones are what, 3 pt stones? the average stone is under 2 pts.

page with that ring (http://www.orolatina.com/Diamond-Rings/Diamond-Rings.html) priced at $1,699.99.

Wild Cobra
05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Normally how much haggling can you do on the "marked" price
Depends on how much you want it. I think you can safely bet on getting it for 25% off or more from the appraisal.

Again, cut, clarity, and color. Very important for an engagement ring in my opinion. That size of stone with nice clarity and color, will likely outshine her friends rings. You put a VS/F against a typical S1/H of the same size and cut, and you will see a notable difference in the stones brilliance.

I almost bought a pair of VS/F 1.5 CT total weight earrings from a pawnshop for $2600. That's 3/4 carat each with an appraisal of the pair at $7500.

Consider checking pawn shops. You can fins some great deals there.

$7500 retail sounds reasonable for the ring if the main stone is a VS/H or better. If it's an S1, maybe. If it's an I, run... way too much money... Still, shoot for maybe $6,000 or less if you can. If it's a VS/F or better, snag the puppy!

Summers
05-10-2009, 04:04 PM

I second this. This is an investment she'll wear for the rest of her life. It should be something she really likes.

TDMVPDPOY
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey since someone already started this thread, I need help with my engagement ring shopping too.

I am looking in the $500K to $750K range, but will go up to $1M if the ring is right.

I don't want anything too big or flashy, but if it's not almost perfect quality my girl will know it!

Please help

zimbabwe currency? :lmao

JoeChalupa
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Damn, I hope my wife doesn't read this thread. :( I don't think I've spent $7500 on her total since we've been together. :lol

Wild Cobra
05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Damn, I hope my wife doesn't read this thread. :( I don't think I've spent $7500 on her total since we've been together. :lol
I'm sorry. I paid over $1,300 for earrings and ring for my ladies Birthday in March, and spent over $1,000 more since on jewelry for her.

LOL, she had nothing to match the earrings and had two piercings. Bought a pair of solitaires, and then got larger ones when I had more funds. Also a bracelet and necklace. Mother's day too you know.

Wow... That was another $1,500 at least! You know she will expect a real hot engagement ring if that ever happens...

3X income... Hmmm... I don't think she needs one that nice... I think I should keep that under $10K

JoeChalupa
05-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry. I paid over $1,300 for earrings and ring for my ladies Birthday in March, and spent over $1,000 more since on jewelry for her.

LOL, she had nothing to match the earrings and had two piercings. Bought a pair of solitaires, and then got larger ones when I had more funds. Also a bracelet and necklace. Mother's day too you know.

Wow... That was another $1,500 at least! You know she will expect a real hot engagement ring if that ever happens...

3X income... Hmmm... I don't think she needs one that nice... I think I should keep that under $10K

No need to be sorry. My wife isn't that much into jewelry and we don't go anywhere where she would feel the need to wear that much bling anyhow. For mother's day I bought her some panties and socks and she was very happy.

easjer
05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I would definitely make sure it is a ring that she would want before I dropped that kind of money on it. Apart from being something you wear everyday, the size and shape of hands and fingers make a difference to the size/cut that looks best. I have a 2ct white sapphire, and needed at least 1.5 carat in the princess cut to look proportional. An oval cut could have been much smaller. Still, a white sapphire is much less costly than a diamond and just about as sturdy. Possibly worth looking into.

As for haggling, make a lowball offer. They'll take it or they won't, but they'll want to make a sale, so don't start off too high/what you think they'll accept or you'll screw yourself.

Mixability
05-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I would hope that you DON'T let her pick it out. Since you're at the proposal state, i would also hope you know her well enough to know what kind of ring she would like.

I personally think it's kinda lame to have her go pick out the ring. I would rather do the surprise proposal and hopefully she loves you enough to like whatever ring you liked FOR her. Its not a pair of shoes or a handbag. It's a symbol of your love for her, not what's gonna make her girlfriends jealous.

And also, whatever you're comfortable spending on her, then spend it.

CuckingFunt
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't mind the idea of letting her pick it out, but think it's more romantic if the proposal comes with a ring and as a surprise. If you pay attention to her jewelry or general style, it shouldn't be hard to figure out what she likes. Someone who wears very simple jewelry, for example, isn't going to want a huge ring with a complicated setting and 5,000 pavé diamonds.

Mixability
05-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't mind the idea of letting her pick it out, but think it's more romantic if the proposal comes with a ring and as a surprise. If you pay attention to her jewelry or general style, it shouldn't be hard to figure out what she likes. Someone who wears very simple jewelry, for example, isn't going to want a huge ring with a complicated setting and 5,000 pavé diamonds.

Exactly! Letting her pick it out isn't a proposal, it's taking her shopping. It's not showing how much you care about her, it's letting her know you'll pay whatever to keep her mouth shut.

CuckingFunt
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Exactly! Letting her pick it out isn't a proposal, it's taking her shopping. It's not showing how much you care about her, it's letting her know you'll pay whatever to keep her mouth shut.

Depends on the chick, though, too. I know some women who would be pissed if they weren't able to pick out their own ring.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
By a very expensive band, but set it with a CZ. She'll never know the difference unless she decides to get it appraised after a divorce, in which case you'll have the last laugh.

Mixability
05-11-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46295&page=4

Mixability
05-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Depends on the chick, though, too. I know some women who would be pissed if they weren't able to pick out their own ring.

Which are probably the chicks that shouldn't be marriage material.

CuckingFunt
05-11-2009, 03:09 PM

I'm inclined to agree. At least, not unless their partner knows exactly what they're in for.

LnGrrrR
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Ladies

I am getting a ring for someone special. Its priced at 7500 but the appraisal value is closer to 10,000.

1) how much more lower can I realistically bring down the price?
2) how important is it to get it appraised by another company? (they are big company and trusted)
3) best way to pay?
4) if custom design, should I wait to pay even one cent until its made?

Guys, you guys chirp in as well please

1) By not buying such a ridiculously expensive ring. Do you make 150K a year or something?
2) Probably not that big a deal if it's a broad chain, no way they'd take that customer service hit.
3) All at once.
4) Maybe a cent.

LnGrrrR
05-11-2009, 05:11 PM

You know who comes up with those rules?

PEOPLE WHO SELL DIAMOND RINGS!

:lol

LnGrrrR
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM

This looks like you won a championship game, not a wife :D

LnGrrrR
05-11-2009, 05:14 PM

I took my wife shopping about a month before I popped the question and just happened to be around the jewelry, and said, "Hey, in case I ever do pop the question, what are some rings you like?"

She knew it was coming soon, but she didn't know which one at least.

Dex
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm still awaiting the richer rant up in here.

Wild Cobra
05-11-2009, 05:30 PM
By a very expensive band, but set it with a CZ. She'll never know the difference unless she decides to get it appraised after a divorce, in which case you'll have the last laugh.

Lame...er...

Summers
05-11-2009, 07:48 PM

I assume you're joking, but, look, if you get her a ring without seeking her input you risk the possibility of her not LOVING it but being afraid of saying so because it's her engagement ring, for crying out loud, and she doesn't want to seem superficial or ungrateful or hurt your feelings. So every day she'll look at it and think of the love you share but also think of how she wishes you'd known she doesn't like channel-set diamonds or princess cuts or whatever. Maybe she wants a rock the size of a grape. Maybe she'd honestly rather have a plain gold band and spend more money on a fabulous honeymoon or house. I get the romantic surprise down-on-one-knee ring-in-the-champagne-flute proposal, but it's one moment in a lifetime.

ashbeeigh
05-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I not only think that's ugly, but way overpriced.

When I saw that I said to myself, "Watch out! I may be blinded by the bling!"

And aren't you supposed to spend two months worth of your salary? If that $10,000-$7,500 is within those means and you've saved (like it sounds like you've said) don't worry about it.

And we want to hear how it goes. The story, you getting down on one knee, her tears of joy, her saying yes, the whole shebang. Unless, of course, this has been an on going thing and you're just making sure she'll for sure like the ring. Then we'll want wedding details.

Wild Cobra
05-12-2009, 03:24 AM
When I saw that I said to myself, "Watch out! I may be blinded by the bling!"

I simply think that ring is awful because of how tiny all the diamonds are in it.

ashbeeigh
05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I simply think that ring is awful because of how tiny all the diamonds are in it.

When the day comes for me...I want a small band and a big in the center. Nothing on the sides. No, I haven't shopped on my own (that would be desperate...) but I do know that's not my kind of style.

If it is someone else's style, I'm not hating. It's just not my thing.

Mixability
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I assume you're joking, but, look, if you get her a ring without seeking her input you risk the possibility of her not LOVING it but being afraid of saying so because it's her engagement ring, for crying out loud, and she doesn't want to seem superficial or ungrateful or hurt your feelings. So every day she'll look at it and think of the love you share but also think of how she wishes you'd known she doesn't like channel-set diamonds or princess cuts or whatever. Maybe she wants a rock the size of a grape. Maybe she'd honestly rather have a plain gold band and spend more money on a fabulous honeymoon or house. I get the romantic surprise down-on-one-knee ring-in-the-champagne-flute proposal, but it's one moment in a lifetime.

And if I'm not joking? I just think it's tacky to have the girl pick it out. I guess I like the old fashioned romantic route, which a proposal should be about. If the girl is so superficial to always think the ring isn't good enough for her, then she should be honest and speak up when he first proposes, so maybe he'd realize maybe she's not the "one".

I know I would've thought twice if my girl would've said "yeah, but i want a different ring". I had spent a couple of months searching for the perfect one for her in addition to spending the money on it. If she didn't see the love behind the symbol and just wanted a better ring, I wouldv'e definitely rescinded my proposal. It's about the beginning of a new life for the two of you, not the bragging rights you have for your girlfriends.

I admit, I enjoy the stares that she gets for having the bling on her left hand, but I enjoy it much more when she brags more about my proposal itself than the number of carats on her finger.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50251

Oh yeah, the details......

It was our anniversary on Monday, she was expecting a fancy dinner. I had dropped fake hints by mentioning we should go to the Tower or downtown, etc. All the while, I had a private theatre rented out to play her favorite movie, Pretty Woman, which she was too young to see when it was first run in theatres. So I drove around in circles to confuse her, but finally I took her to the theatre.

After the movie, the credits rolled, as we got up to leave, the projectionist faded in a personal slideshow that I had made synced up to a song I had picked out. It highligted our relationship together along with pictures of our son. At the end of the slideshow, the question was popped. When she accepted my proposal, I told her to turn around and show the ring to our Moms. She was surprised to find out that they were there too to share the moment.

Yeah, mushy, I know.

Forgive me guys.

:)