PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Daly passes away.

samikeyp
05-09-2009, 07:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4153982

DETROIT -- Chuck Daly, who coached the original Dream Team to the Olympic gold medal in 1992 after winning back-to-back NBA championships with the Detroit Pistons, has died. He was 78.

He died Saturday morning in Jupiter, Fla., with his family by his side, the team said.The Pistons announced in March that the Hall of Fame coach had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was undergoing treatment.

He was renowned for his ability to create harmony out of diverse personalities at all levels of the game, whether they were Ivy Leaguers at Pennsylvania, Dream Teamers Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley, or Pistons as dissimilar as Dennis Rodman and Joe Dumars.

"It's a players' league. They allow you to coach them or they don't," Daly once said. "Once they stop allowing you to coach, you're on your way out."

Daly was voted one of the 10 greatest coaches of the NBA's first half-century in 1996, two years after being inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. He was the first coach to win both an NBA title and Olympic gold.

"I think Chuck understood people as well as basketball," former Pistons guard Joe Dumars told The Associated Press in 1995. "It's a people business."

Daly did famously at the Barcelona Games with NBA superstars such as Magic Johnson, Jordan, Larry Bird and Barkley, using a different lineup in every game.

"I played against Chuck's teams throughout the NBA for a lot of years. He always had his team prepared, he's a fine coach," Bird said shortly after Daly's diagnosis became public.

"Chuck did a good job of keeping us together," Bird said. "It wasn't about who scored the most points, it was about one thing: winning the gold medal."

Daly humbled the NBA superstars by coaching a group of college players to victory in a controlled scrimmage weeks before the Olympics.

"I was the happiest man in the gym," Daly said afterward.

Daly also made the right moves for the Pistons, who were notorious for their physical play with Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn leading the fight, Rodman making headlines and Hall of Fame guards Isiah Thomas and Dumars lifting the team to titles in 1989 and 1990.

Former Piston John Salley gave Daly the nickname Daddy Rich for his impeccably tailored suits.

Daly had a career regular-season record of 638-437 in 13 NBA seasons. In 12 playoff appearances, his teams went 75-51. He left Detroit as the Pistons' leader in regular-season and playoff victories.

"The Daly family and the entire Detroit Pistons and Palace Sports and Entertainment family is mourning the loss of Chuck Daly," family and team spokesman Matt Dobek said. "Chuck left a lasting impression with everyone he met both personally and professionally and his spirit will live with all of us forever."

Despite his success, Daly wasn't part of a Coach of the Year presentation until he handed the trophy to then-Detroit coach Rick Carlisle in 2002.

"This is as close as I've ever been to that thing," Daly said, looking at the Red Auerbach Trophy.

Born July 20, 1930 in St. Mary's, Pa., Charles Jerome Daly played college ball at St. Bonaventure and Bloomsburg. After two years in the military, he coached for eight seasons at Punxsutawney (Pa.) High School and then spent six years as an assistant at Duke.

Succeeding Bob Cousy as coach at Boston College, Daly coached the Eagles to a 26-24 record over two seasons and then spent seven seasons at Pennsylvania, leading the Quakers to the Ivy League championship in 1972-75.

Daly joined the NBA coaching ranks in 1978 as an assistant under Billy Cunningham in Philadelphia. His first head coaching job was with Cleveland, but he was fired after the Cavaliers went 9-32 over the first half of the 1981-82 season.

In 1983, Daly took over a Detroit team that had never had two straight winning seasons and led the Pistons to nine straight. He persuaded the likes of Rodman, Thomas, Dumars, Mahorn and Laimbeer and to play as a unit and they responded with back-to-back championships in 1989 and 1990.

Far from being intimidated by the Pistons' Bad Boys image, Daly saw the upside of it.

"I've also had players who did not care," he said a decade later. "I'd rather have a challenging team."

After leaving Detroit, Daly took over the New Jersey Nets for two seasons and led them to the playoffs both times.

He left broadcasting to return to the bench 1997 with the Orlando Magic and won 74 games over two seasons, then retired at the age of 68 because he said he was weary of the travel.

Daly joined the Vancouver Grizzlies as a senior adviser in 2000.

In retirement, he split time between residences in Jupiter, Fla., and suburban Detroit.

The Pistons retired No. 2 to honor their former coach's two NBA titles in January 1997.

"Without you, there wouldn't be us," Mahorn said to Daly during the ceremony.

Daly is survived by his wife, Terry, as well as daughter Cydney and grandchildren Sebrina and Connor.

Sad day...he was one of the best.

benefactor
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
RIP Chuck.

SpursPreacher
05-09-2009, 08:35 AM
It is a sad day for the nba and its fans my heart and prayers to his family.

pauls931
05-09-2009, 08:35 AM
RIP, I have great memories of his teams duking it out with Boston time after time. Talk about rivalries! I swear some teams just hated each other back then, I mean real HATE. Each game was good for a fight back then with Rodman and Bill on the floor. I didn't realize he was that old.

Rogue
05-09-2009, 08:44 AM
pesame para su familia

TheManFromAcme
05-09-2009, 08:47 AM
RIP Coach Daly. Say Hi to Wilt and Mikan!

BlackSwordsMan
05-09-2009, 08:51 AM
damn he went fast

alamo50
05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
:lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

The TroutBum
05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Why, oh, why couldn't it have been Phil Jackson?

RIP Chuckles.

Sportstudi
05-09-2009, 09:07 AM
RIP Chuck

Double-Up
05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Rip...

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-09-2009, 09:55 AM
RIP Chuck......dang

spursncowboys
05-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Remember all the designer suits. He was stylish. RIP to the last coach to beat the Jordan Bulls in the PO.

PuttPutt
05-09-2009, 10:03 AM
RIP...:depressed

RsxPiimp
05-09-2009, 10:30 AM
peace chuck daly. you were one of the best. a true nigga in a sense.

JoeTait75
05-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Hated those Pistons teams, liked their coach. RIP Chuck.

lefty
05-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow

I'm really shocked; I didn't expect that, too early.

RIP Chuck, he was a great coach

lefty
05-09-2009, 12:09 PM

RIP Chuckles.

I'm sure you're joking, but you are still pretty stupid

sonic21
05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
RIP

He won't be forgotten. He coached real basketball. A physical brand of basketball.

http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/dreamteam.jpg

nba fans will miss you

cobbler
05-09-2009, 12:54 PM

RIP Chuckles.

There is a lot of banter on these boards. A lot of poking fun etc..

Some lines should never be crossed. At least if you have any class at all.

You.... obviously do NOT. What a pathetic post.

Reast in peace CD. Hated your team but had nothing but respect for you.

lil_penny
05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Rip chuck

Allanon
05-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Didn't really know Chuck Daly, he was before my time but RIP.

cobbler
05-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Didn't really know Chuck Daly, he was before my time but RIP.

I'll never forget... 1988 and it's the Lakers vs Detroit in the finals. Worthy is tearing the Pistons up almost single handedly for a triple double in game 7 and future MVP of the finals. A timeout is called and the camera is at the Pistons bench. They huddle up and Daly walks in and YELLS... "WORTHY WORTHY WORTHY" and walks away.

Classic moment. Classy coach.

duncan228
05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Big loss for the NBA family. Daly was a great coach, and all you need to know about the respect the league had for him was demonstrated by the coaches wearing the 'CD' pins. He will be missed.

pauls931
05-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Anyone who can coach rodman is a damn good coach. Granted with the pistons Isiah would have killed him and with the bulls MJ had he got out of hand.

BTW, Double Up, nice sig.

DeadlyDynasty
05-09-2009, 01:58 PM
His style of basketball, as well as Riley's Knicks, has made the game unwatchable at times. That being said, he is one of the all-time teachers and winners of the game and he will be sorely missed. Long live the Dream Team and RIP CD!

Crabdribble
05-09-2009, 01:59 PM
R.i.p.

The TroutBum
05-09-2009, 02:04 PM
There is a lot of banter on these boards. A lot of poking fun etc..

Some lines should never be crossed. At least if you have any class at all.

You.... obviously do NOT. What a pathetic post.

Reast in peace CD. Hated your team but had nothing but respect for you.

No, seriously, I want Phil Jackson to die. SLOWLY. PAINFULLY. TODAY.

Classless? Sure.
Do I care? Nope.
Are you a butt fuck? Yup.

DeadlyDynasty
05-09-2009, 02:07 PM
No, seriously, I want Phil Jackson to die. SLOWLY. PAINFULLY. TODAY.

Classless? Sure.
Do I care? Nope.
Are you a butt fuck? Yup.
are the Jazz eliminated again and still a ringless franchise? Yup
Do you cry yourself to sleep about your team's failures and the Lakers success? Yup

The TroutBum
05-09-2009, 02:10 PM
are the Jazz eliminated again and still a ringless franchise? Yup
Do you cry yourself to sleep about your team's failures and the Lakers success? Yup

/burn. How will I survive. Back to Mexico, you dirty sanchez.

Biggems
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
The Bad Boys will always be my 2nd favorite team ever. Chuck Daly was a superb coach and he was pure class away from the court. The NBA and the world of basketball lost one of its greatest Ambassadors.

My condolences to the Daly family. Rest in Peace Coach.

Biggems
05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
His style of basketball, as well as Riley's Knicks, has made the game unwatchable at times. That being said, he is one of the all-time teachers and winners of the game and he will be sorely missed. Long live the Dream Team and RIP CD!

How were the Bad Boys unwatchable?

yes they were very, very physical, but they were also defensive minded and team oriented. With Zeke and Dumars running the point, they were poetry. Laimbeer is Dirk Nowitzki with balls. He could beat you outside, but unlike Dirk, he could abuse you inside as well. When Rodman would come off the bench, it was like injecting the team with several lines of cocaine....he was pure, unbridled energy. dont forget about the microwave, spider, mahorn, dantley/aguirre, and edwards. They were one badass team.

They werent just thugs either, they had personality and swagger.

As much as I love defense, I found Miami during the Riley years to be unwatchable.....

lefty
05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
How were the Bad Boys unwatchable?

yes they were very, very physical, but they were also defensive minded and team oriented. With Zeke and Dumars running the point, they were poetry. Laimbeer is Dirk Nowitzki with balls. He could beat you outside, but unlike Dirk, he could abuse you inside as well. When Rodman would come off the bench, it was like injecting the team with several lines of cocaine....he was pure, unbridled energy. dont forget about the microwave, spider, mahorn, dantley/aguirre, and edwards. They were one badass team.

They werent just thugs either, they had personality and swagger.

As much as I love defense, I found Miami during the Riley years to be unwatchable.....

+1
Thomas and Dumars played gorgeous basketball

bdubya
05-09-2009, 08:21 PM
RIP Daddy Rich. :toast

Biggems
05-10-2009, 12:58 PM

hands down one of the greatest sigs of all-time......definitely top 5.....

Now that is a dream team if there ever is one

duncan228
05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Daddy Rich says goodbye (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-daly051009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

On the Detroit Pistons’ mid-April trip to Miami, Joe Dumars drove with a carload of old guard franchise employees – the trainer, public relations director and radio voice – to Jupiter, Fla., to visit Chuck Daly. They had a sweet time remembering the glory days of the Bad Boys, but the old coach had been watching Detroit’s games between treatments for pancreatic cancer and wanted to talk all about it. He had so many questions for Dumars, still so much curiosity about the plans and perspective of the Pistons president.

When it was time to leave, Dumars was walking out the door when Daly called him back alone. Daly was gaunt, 50 pounds lighter, and yet those eyes had lost nothing. Daly leaned close to Dumars and whispered, “Always go forward in life.”

Never look back, he told Dumars. Never.

“That was his way,” Dumars said softly on the phone Saturday night, “of saying goodbye.”

Goodbye Daddy Rich. The Bad Boys gave him that nickname for the expensive suits and perfectly coiffed hair, but the irony is that Daly was always substance over style. He was the son of a small-town traveling salesman who told his best friends that he someday hoped he could be a $10,000 a year high school coach and teacher. He made it late, made it big and finally died on Saturday at 78 years old. He is forever the Detroit Pistons coach, a defensive innovator, an original in a profession overrun with cookie-cutter copy cats.

Daly, who won two titles with the Pistons and the Olympic gold medal with the Dream Team in 1992, will be remembered as a man’s man, a coach’s coach. He was funny, self-deprecating and still cracking wise until a merciful end on Saturday morning.

Two weeks ago, Daly was talking to one of his closest friends, Lonnie Cooper, the agent who helped make him a millionaire coach, and told him that the stock market was tanking and he needed a favor.

“Get me a job,” Daly told Cooper. The two of them laughed on the phone, like you always did in Daly’s company.

The beauty of the man was that he never thought he had it made, that he was still always the thirtysomething high school coach in Punxsutawney, Pa., sending out letters to college coaches to get an assistant’s job. Before he got the Pistons job in 1983, he had bad players and a bad record as the Cleveland Cavaliers coach. With the Pistons, he transformed a historically combustible brew of talent and egos and characters – Isiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn – into two-time NBA champions.

As the coach, he created the Jordan Rules and a hard-edge defensive style that bordered on sheer mayhem. He taught the NBA that you could win championships with defense. “I don’t know who else it could’ve worked with other than Chuck,” Dumars said. “His personality was exactly what was needed for the type of team we had. You couldn’t have been a shrinking violet and coached our team.”

He was never trying to be someone else, never an act and that’s why it worked with the Bad Boys. They would’ve spotted a phony a mile away and chewed him up.

Within him, there were still the scars of a poor childhood and a pro pink slip. They called him the “Prince of Pessimism,” because he always counted on the worst to happen. He’d call Cooper and tell him that they were going to lose that night, and that he’d probably never be able to get another job and it was always Daly’s mechanism to keep himself grounded.

At the news conference to introduce him as the Nets coach, Daly peeked behind the podium curtain and could see cameras and reporters everywhere. All the big-time New York guys were there, all for him. His agent had just made him basketball’s first million dollar a year coach, and yet he grabbed Cooper by the hand and pulled him into a broom closet. The man with two NBA titles, Olympic Dream Team immortality and a ticket to the Basketball Hall of Fame told Cooper, “Do you realize that just a few years ago I was a high school basketball coach making eight thousand dollars a year and sweeping my own gym?”

Then Daly took a deep breath, said, “Let’s go,” and Daly charmed ‘em all over again. We won’t remember him for those final seasons with the Nets and Orlando Magic, but always the Bad Boys. The Pistons ended the Celtics’ 1980s run, held off Michael Jordan’s Bulls and won back to back titles in 1989 and 1990. Every day in the gym with those Pistons was a high-wire act, part X’s and O’s, part psychologist, part peacemaker and part skull-cracker.

Those closest to Daly will tell you that Dumars, the gentleman, had always been his favorite. He was the easiest kid in the class. Once, Daly walked over to Dumars before the start of a practice and said, “Thanks kid.”

That’s all. Just thanks. For what, Dumars asked him. Daly wanted to tell Dumars that he appreciated that with all the characters and drama in Detroit, he never had to worry about him. “Whatever time you feel like you need to use on me, just use it on them,” Dumars told him. They always had that understanding, that they had a bond borne of less is more.

Dumars was on the telephone Saturday, fighting through the ache of it all. In his days as player and president in Detroit, late owner Bill Davidson and Daly had been second fathers to him. They treated Joe D. like family. Those final words stayed with Dumars, resonated and he isn’t sure that he’ll ever go a day without thinking about them.

Always go forward in life, Daddy Rich told his old shooting guard when it was time to say goodbye. Never look back.

What a gift, Dumars thought. What a beautiful, forever gift. Until the end, Chuck Daly was still his coach.