Bruno
05-09-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.36ers.com.au/site/_content/image/00121511-image.jpg
Height: 6-8
Weight: 194 lbs
Birthday: 10/02/1987
Current team: South Dragons (Australia)
Nationality: Australian

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joe-Ingles-1119/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/joe-ingles)

mattyc
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Australia's best prospect aside from Bogut and Patrick Mills in my opinion. Brad Newley probably around the mark too.

Was the NBL ROY in 07 and the Grand Final MVP this year and has been gradually developing since then. Probably no better than a 2nd round pick for the NBA though.

Interestingly, the South Dragons are opting out of the Australian competition next year (the competition is being revamped and is in a fair bit of a mess. No teams planned for Sydney or Brisbane for a start).

TDMVPDPOY
05-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Australia's best prospect aside from Bogut and Patrick Mills in my opinion. Brad Newley probably around the mark too.

Was the NBL ROY in 07 and the Grand Final MVP this year and has been gradually developing since then. Probably no better than a 2nd round pick for the NBA though.

Interestingly, the South Dragons are opting out of the Australian competition next year (the competition is being revamped and is in a fair bit of a mess. No teams planned for Sydney or Brisbane for a start).

no league this season anyway....tigers pulled out also....

i think nbl fuckd up when it went private no F2A coverage and no bankable player to promote the game.....

Biggems
05-10-2009, 01:18 PM

Nice avatar

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Wasn't there big gossip in his profile thread last year about not drafting him because of a huge selfishness problem?

MI21
05-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Burst onto the Australian basketball scene few years back. Since then there has been questions about his work ethic and attitude. He doesn't seem to give maximum effort at all times and kind of seems happy to just keep collecting his paycheck.

Skills wise, the guy is an NBA quality athlete which is rare for an Australian player. He is a fantastic passer and ball handler for his size but his outside shooting is very streaky and he doesn't seem to put much effort into defense though he has all the tools. Doesn't have a dominant type of mindset even when he has mismatches that he should be able to exploit.

I don't think he would ever make it in the NBA as a legit 9th or 10th man type. He's a little bit like the Australian league Lamar Odom. Actually, thats quite apt, especially as I consider Lamar a better player at the 3 despite his excellent rebounding.

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Burst onto the Australian basketball scene few years back. Since then there has been questions about his work ethic and attitude. He doesn't seem to give maximum effort at all times and kind of seems happy to just keep collecting his paycheck.

Skills wise, the guy is an NBA quality athlete which is rare for an Australian player. He is a fantastic passer and ball handler for his size but his outside shooting is very streaky and he doesn't seem to put much effort into defense though he has all the tools. Doesn't have a dominant type of mindset even when he has mismatches that he should be able to exploit.

I don't think he would ever make it in the NBA as a legit 9th or 10th man type. He's a little bit like the Australian league Lamar Odom. Actually, thats quite apt, especially as I consider Lamar a better player at the 3 despite his excellent rebounding.

Sounds like a semi-hopeless case. I hope he doesn't turn out to be great(for a backup SF) after the Spurs pass on him.

Bruno
05-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Ingles will work out with Spurs tomorrow. (source: DX)

Blackjack
05-30-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/30/long-road-forward/

TheProfessor
05-30-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/30/long-road-forward/

Ingles wasn’t enamored about the prospect of playing in the D-League. He told me plainly that he’d rather not. In some ways it would be a step down from his current situation, and given the choice between developing in the D-League and developing in Europe, he’d prefer Europe. He has his options. But then he paused. “That’s not the case with the Spurs. Their situation in Austin is different. It’s really not the same thing. The Toros are part of the Spurs’ program.”

This distinction exists in time and space, at least from Ingles’ perspective. Joe Ingles is impressive in conversation and comes across as a consummate professional. He was well-versed in all things San Antonio, in part because Spurs assistant Brett Brown is head coach of Australia’s men’s basketball team.
Very interesting.

AussieFanKurt
06-05-2009, 02:46 AM
i watched ingles in the aussie league sometimes and i think he could be an alright deep bench player on most teams

timvp
06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Joe Ingles, G/F, Australia
Ingles gets a mention as a potential early second-rounder by a number of guys, but he didn't really show it here. He couldn't hit a shot Saturday or Sunday until he exploded for 16 points on 88 percent shooting Sunday night. By then, the damage might have been done. He's definitely got talent, but talk about him being a late first or early second-round pick really seemed to cool.

Chad Ford - Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090608)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Joe Ingles, G/F, Australia
Ingles gets a mention as a potential early second-rounder by a number of guys, but he didn't really show it here. He couldn't hit a shot Saturday or Sunday until he exploded for 16 points on 88 percent shooting Sunday night. By then, the damage might have been done. He's definitely got talent, but talk about him being a late first or early second-round pick really seemed to cool.

Chad Ford - Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090608)

Given that, he might fall to 53 or 57 and be worth a punt.

timvp
06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
51. San Antonio Spurs (via New Orleans)

Joe Ingles | F | Australia
The Australian forward is a guy who can do a little of everything. His basketball IQ and toughness make him a nice fit on the Spurs. With the Brett Brown connection, you gotta think Ingles is a definite possibility for one of the final two picks if he's on the board.

duncan228
06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Person of interest: Joe Ingles (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/06/person-of-inter-5.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Spurs assistant Brett Brown recently set out for Australia, for the first of four summers he will spend as coach of that country's national basketball team. There's a chance Brown could be bringing an Aussie back with him when he returns for training camp.

Joe Ingles, a 6-foot-8 wing who played for Australia at the Beijing Olympics, is one of the more intriguing prospects the Spurs have worked out in advance of Thursday's draft. Ingles is one of the top players in Australia's NBL. He is large for a wing player -- 6-foot-8, with a wingspan of 6-10 -- and has legitimate 3-point range.

Ingles played mostly shooting guard for the Melbourne South Dragons, but could play the small forward position for the Spurs -- their 2 and 3 spots are basically interchangeable.

Despite his offensive skills, Ingles is still probably a few years away from being an everyday contributor at the NBA level. He's just 21 years old, so there is still time.

What might be hurting Ingles' draft stock the most is that teams don't really know what to make of him. He's spent his entire career in Australia, in relative obscurity. Here the Spurs would seem to have a scouting advantage, given Brown's Aussie connections.

It wouldn't be surprising to see the Spurs or some other team take a late second-round flier on Ingles, then stash him overseas for seasoning.

timvp
06-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I must be rusty if I'm accidentally ripping McDonald's take :depressed

duncan228
06-22-2009, 06:00 PM
The Brett Brown article for anyone that missed it.

McDonald: Spurs Assistant In Charge Of Aussies

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129090

Spurtacus
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
From ESPN

Positives:
# Smooth wing with excellent midrange jump shot
# Point forward type of game
# A great feel for the game
# Good floor vision
# Likes to penetrate
# Big-time scorer in Australia.

Negatives:

# Needs to add strength
# Good, but not off the charts, athleticism
# Lacks great lateral quickness
# Needs to get more consistent from long range.

Summary: Jun 8 Update: Ingles gets a mention as a potential early second-rounder by a number of guys, but he didn't really show it here. He couldn't hit a shot Saturday or Sunday until he exploded for 16 points on 88 percent shooting Sunday night. By then, the damage might have been done. He's definitely got talent, but talk about him being a late first or early second-round pick really seemed to cool.

Apr 24 Update: Ingles is trying to follow in the footsteps of Brad Newley, who was drafted by the Rockets in 2007. He has some interest as a potential second round pick.