PDA

View Full Version : Election Day in SA

SA210
05-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Have you voted for Mayor? Who did you vote for and why?
Or, for those in SA who didn't vote, why not? :downspin:

iilluzioN
05-09-2009, 02:53 PM
whos running?

SA210
05-09-2009, 08:52 PM
57% reporting so far. Looks like Julian Castro is our next Mayor. I hear he's probably giving a speech around 10pm.

Candidate-Votes-Vote %
Julian Castro 36,343-54%
Trish DeBerry-Mejia 18,742-29%
Diane Cibrian 5,187-8%
Sheila McNeil 2,469-4%
Rhett Smith 645-1%
Lauro Bustamante 357-1%
Julie Oldham 352-1%
Michael Idrogo 315-1%
Napoleon Madrid 165-1%

05-09-2009, 08:55 PM
He's got to clear 50% or face a runoff. But, as he led in the early voting I don't think Trish has a good chance to catch him.

Wonder if he'll get his brother to stand in for his acceptance speech?

iilluzioN
05-09-2009, 09:07 PM
lol... what a joke.. low turn out

JudynTX
05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I didn't vote. It looks like Castro won.

ploto
05-09-2009, 11:02 PM
What only about 100,000 voters turned out? When I went today, only one other person was there.

Do not like Castro, oh well...

ploto
05-09-2009, 11:04 PM
In the nine-way race, the attorney and former councilman garnered 56 percent of the vote with more than 99 percent of the count complete.

Public relations consultant Trish DeBerry-Mejia and Councilwoman Diane Cibrian, both of whom had hoped to force Castro into a run-off, came up surprisingly short in an election that saw only 12 percent of registered voters go to the polls.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Castro_leads_mayoral_race1.html

ploto
05-09-2009, 11:07 PM
At least three incumbents, Phillip Cortez, Justin Rodriguez and John Clamp, are headed for another two years on the San Antonio City Council. And two political newcomers, Elisa Chan and Ray Lopez, will join them...

In the race for District 1, incumbent Mary Alice Cisneros, wife of former mayor Henry Cisneros, held off Chris Forbrich with 55 percent of the vote to Forbrich's 39 percent.

Three races will be dediced in a runoff election on June 13.

Incumbent Lourdes Galvan in District 5, who had 42 percent of the vote, will compete against David Medina, who received 40 percent.

Reed Williams and Michael Berlanga each totaled 26 percent and will face off for the job Diane Cibrian held in District 8.

And District 2's runoff will pit Byron Miller -- who got nearly 39 percent of the vote – against Ivy Taylor who finished with nearly 28 percent. The winner will replace term-limited and mayoral candidate Sheila McNeil.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Council_incumbents_hold_solid_leads.html

SA210
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
What only about 100,000 voters turned out? When I went today, only one other person was there.

Do not like Castro, oh well...

Same here. wtf?

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2009, 11:35 PM
the only good thing about castro is that if he gets sick and can[t go on we always have a spare

BlackSwordsMan
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
there was an election today? ;o

ashbeeigh
05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I voted early yesterday morning before I went off to New Braunfels.

I was 1/3...not as good as usual.

My vote for mayor won (yeah yeah yeah..don't argue with me).

I was pretty sure my vote for city council wasn't going to win but I had no clue about any of the candidates..

.and my vote for school board was based on a sign in a neighbor's yard. Had I actually looked at her opponents I would have clearly seen she would never have won against the big shot incumbent. Oh well.

fraga
05-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow...that little weirdo is our new Mayor...makes me wish I had voted...

MannyIsGod
05-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Can't vote I live outside of the city limits by a half mile or so. Really though, mayor is a glorified city council position and city manager has the real job of running the city. I think all the candidates sucked, but congrats to Castro for having the best name recognition. A big step down from our current mayor.

Crookshanks
05-11-2009, 12:26 AM
What the hell is wrong with you people in San Antonio? Julian Castro as Mayor? OMG - I cannot believe that little twerp is the Mayor. He's only using it as a stepping stone to further his political career. Man you guys down there must've had about zero interest in the election! The only time in my life that I've voted for a democrat was when I voted against Castro the last time he ran for Mayor - it was a case of the lesser of two evils.

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2009, 08:15 AM
I did my part. I voted against that sleazy little bastard. The worst thing is that Mayor Hardberger threw his influence behind extending term limits and got it passed and now we will probably be stuck with Castro for 8 years unless he decides to run for something else.

JoeChalupa
05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
What the hell is wrong with you people in San Antonio? Julian Castro as Mayor? OMG - I cannot believe that little twerp is the Mayor. He's only using it as a stepping stone to further his political career. Man you guys down there must've had about zero interest in the election! The only time in my life that I've voted for a democrat was when I voted against Castro the last time he ran for Mayor - it was a case of the lesser of two evils.

Every politician uses an election as a stepping stone to further their political career.

bus driver
05-11-2009, 08:51 AM
who cares.......you think the new council people and the new mayor is going to fix

city violence....No
graffiti issues....No
traffic jams.......No
water problems.....NO
(insert city issue here)......probably not

but they sure as hell will talk like they will; the day a politician actually starts changing things is the day i will start voting

mrsmaalox
05-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Everyone I voted for lost. :rolleyes

Barry O'Bama
05-11-2009, 10:25 AM
The people running in this city were a joke! It's a good thing the mayor has no real power.

SA210
05-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Every politician uses an election as a stepping stone to further their political career.

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2009, 01:31 PM
everyone i voted for lost. :rolleyes

x2

S_A_Longhorn
05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Why vote if I don't like anyone?

"Councilman No" Castro is just sleazy. He's been running for mayro ever sicne he lost 4 years ago to Hardberger. The city couldn't have done better in that election. That whole incident where he had his brother on the barge in the River parade was real problem with me. How is he supposed to move the city anywhere when he opposed everything as a councilman?

Cibrian was just plain annoying. In all of her speeches, she spoke as if she WAS the mayor. I don't want the mayor to be a "morality police" in terms of what businesses are good or not good for our 'community'. McNeil pissed me off when she had taxpayers pay her trip to Obama's inaugration. She tried to explain is was a seminar trip, but considering she is without a city job next month, still seems like a free trip to Obama's inaugratation...and nothing more.

DeBerry never impressed me in her speeches. So I'm glad I skipped the vote.