PDA

View Full Version : Newsday: Knicks miss Nazr

whottt
03-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm lying of course...but I didn't want any Rose haters to miss out on a well written article.

Newsday (http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix254190278mar25,0,7414905.story?coll=ny-knicks-print)

Pickups Rose, Taylor making a difference

BY BARBARA BARKER
STAFF WRITER

March 25, 2005

On the Richter scale of earth-shattering trades, Isiah Thomas' acquisitions of Maurice Taylor and Malik Rose at the trade deadline barely registered last month.

Thomas seemed much more excited about the two draft picks he picked up that day than about adding Taylor or Rose. But in looking toward the future, the Knicks picked up two players who are giving them some very real help in the present.

Rose, who played with the Spurs, and Thomas, who came from a winning team in Houston, both know something about what it takes to play on a good team. And their winning attitude is rubbing off on the Knicks at an important time.

Against the Celtics Wednesday night, Taylor and Rose helped the Knicks impersonate a good team when they needed it most. With injured Kurt Thomas out of the lineup, the two totaled 23 points and 18 rebounds. They also helped the Knicks clamp down defensively on the Celtics, who had won 11 of 12.

"Obviously, me and Malik came from winning situations, so we want to bring some of what we learned in Houston and San Antonio here," Taylor said. "We played for great defensive-minded coaches. So whatever we can do to help out, that's what we're going to do."

Coach Herb Williams has been particularly impressed with Rose's play and the impact he has had on the team.

"Malik is a tough guy. He talks on defense and he's a very good rebounder," Williams said. "He moves people around. He's very versatile.

"He's played on championship teams, so he knows how to win basketball games. Guys are listening to what he's saying. He brings energy."

Though the win over Boston didn't move the Knicks up in the standings - they remain 3 1/2 games behind the eighth-place 76ers - it might have given them the confidence they need for their four-game West Coast trip that begins tonight in Seattle. In five nights, the Knicks play the Sonics, Trail Blazers, Warriors and Lakers. The Knicks (29-37) are 8-23 on the road, and the general feeling is they need to go at least 2-2 on the trip to keep their slender playoff hopes alive.

"Hopefully, we're feeling pretty good right now and confident," Williams said Wednesday. "Because when we go on the road, we're going to have to play better than we did [against Boston] tonight. We can't make mistakes."

Tonight

Knicks at Seattle

10:30 p.m.

TV: MSG, ESPN

Radio: WEPN (1050)

whottt
03-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Coach Herb Williams has been particularly impressed with Rose's play and the impact he has had on the team.

"Malik is a tough guy. He talks on defense and he's a very good rebounder," Williams said. "He moves people around. He's very versatile.

"He's played on championship teams, so he knows how to win basketball games. Guys are listening to what he's saying. He brings energy."

Nice spinning Herb :rolleyes

Go Knicks Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

http://www.research.att.com/projects/wordseye/textures/logos/knicks.jpg

davi78239
03-25-2005, 01:42 PM
From this article, it makes me believe that the Knicks got the better end of the trade adding Malik. But, this was a financial move for the Spurs Future.

ducks
03-25-2005, 04:08 PM
what do you want herb to say
Man I wish nazr was knick still
that would make rose feel unwanted and he might quite on the knicks like he did on the spurs.....

boutons
03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
After a few dozen's minutes of play, Herb's gonna trash Malik?

At this point (in a more copmlex system), Pop is going to trash Nazr?

Much of the value of Malik is not his average talent and tweener size, but his experience and skills picked up in Pop's org. It's up to Herb to exploit them, and it's up to Malik to keep playing The Spurs Way even when Herb doesn't require that level of play, esp defense.

whottt
03-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah well in case you haven't noticed Pop dissed Nazr as well when he said the trade was made for financial reasons....There's is no equivalence between these two players. Malik is the better player. Those that continue to argue otherwise will continue to be wrong.

boutons has been wrong a lot(presidential election anyone) and it seems to bounce off him easily...

OTOH ducks' vobookie totals will continue to decline as long as he continues to be on the dark side, and I am not sure that's what he really wants.

Ishta
03-26-2005, 01:52 PM
well... we got the raw end of this one..But i'm sure Rose haters would say different.

Rummpd
03-26-2005, 11:28 PM
I love Malik but who knows how this will turn out.

We got a former starting center with a bigger upside than Malik.