PDA

View Full Version : Spur number 1 again in something = organization

Rummpd
03-25-2005, 11:53 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jack_mccallum/03/24/programs/1.html

1. The San Antonio Spurs
A no-brainer, right? They do things quietly and efficiently. They are integrated into the lifeblood of the community more than any other franchise in the NBA, probably as much as any team in any sport. They make smart draft picks (everybody passed on Tony Parker and Ginobili). They manage their budget. Two publicity-wary guys, superstar Tim Duncan and coach Gregg Popovich, are the face of the franchise but their reticence defines the just-business aspect that the Spurs like to put forth. Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford are close friends who keep any disagreements out of the newspapers. They have a great practice facility and a new arena. They are a tough defensive team but they're not bullies and, because of exciting players such as Parker and Ginobili, they're never boring.

Personally, I think Duncan should open up and be more of a media-friendly guy, let people see the intelligence and humor that lurks under the surface. But that is a small complaint to make about a great franchise.

whottt
03-25-2005, 12:01 PM
And if people really want to praise Pop for something this is it right here...The guy is an organizational genius and if any one man deserves the credit for the Spurs organizational excellence I think it's Pop...it began with him.
Seriously. But it seems like he doesn't really have much interest in the organizational aspect and would just rather be a coach.

It's weird though...I think Pop is the only guy to ever win an NBA title as a coach/gm(maybe Auerbach did it or something), but no one else has...and he's the only guy I've ever seen that took a GM job just so he could become the coach...usually the coaches want to be GM's but the GM's never want to coach. It almost seems like he wants nothing to do with the GM aspects of it even though that's where his true brilliance lies.

I'll always have problems with Pop's ideas about offense and substitutions, but when it comes to running a franchise in a small market...Pop is in a league all by himself, regardless of the sport. And I don't think we'll be able to replace him when he retires.

FromWayDowntown
03-25-2005, 12:13 PM
and he's the only guy I've ever seen that took a GM job just so he could become the coach

Though I agree with your characterizations of Pop's organizational skills, I dispute this statement.

Pop didn't take the GM job to become coach. He took the GM job in the summer of 1995 with people clamoring for him to be both coach and GM. He took the GM job on May 31, 1995. I vividly recall hearing him on the radio, telling the whole world that he was not interested in coaching the team and that he intended to hire a coach. Pop spent that summer working in stages. First, he acquired a group of players (Sean Elliott, Chuck Person, Avery Johnson). Then, he hired a coach, Bob Hill, by the end of August of that year. Makes some sense to build a team and then find a coach whose style you believe will best fit those players. Arguably, the hiring was among Pop's worst moves.

Had Pop taken the job to become GM, the hiring of Hill was certainly a step in the wrong direction.