PDA

View Full Version : League admits call sucked. 2006 NBA Champs!

Ghazi
05-09-2009, 09:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4155285

Refs missed intentional foul, NBA admits
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

DALLAS -- The NBA says officials were wrong when they didn't call an intentional foul on the Dallas Mavericks just before Denver's Carmelo Anthony made a game-winning 3-pointer.

2009 NBA Playoffs

Want an in-depth look at the Nuggets-Mavs series? Check out all the stats, analysis and opinion here:
• Nuggets-Mavs page

The Mavericks had the lead and a foul to give Saturday when Denver inbounded the ball trailing by two points with less than 8 seconds left. Antoine Wright was clearly trying to foul Anthony, and bumped him twice.

But the whistle never blew and Anthony swished a 3-pointer from the corner with a second left that gave the Nuggets a 106-105 victory and a 3-0 series lead.

In a statement released after the game, Joel Litvin, NBA president for league and basketball operations, said "the officials missed an intentional foul" committed by Wright on Anthony.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

sook
05-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Ron artest being ejected 2 games in a row for bullshit and now this?

Worst officiated playoffs evaar?

Cry Havoc
05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
So the Mavs are upset because rather than a 4-0 series, they'd get trashed in a 5 game sweep without that shot?

timvp
Yeah, same release was given last year after Fisher tackled Barry.

Which resulted in another championship!

Five rings, maggots!!!!

mavs>spurs2
suck on this you little faggots that were trying to justify that we just simply "choked." the nba is a motherfucking joke of a league

KSeal
They should go back and reply the play just like they should have last years Spurs/Lakers non call bullshit thing. These kinds of horrible missed calls just kill the game.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 09:33 PM
So the Mavs are upset because rather than a 4-0 series, they'd get trashed in a 5 game sweep without that shot?

dude, this game changes everything. with this win, we could easily tie it up 2-2 and have a series on our hands.

Ghazi
05-09-2009, 09:33 PM

How do you know?

The dynamics of 2-1 differ greatly from 3-0.

gaKNOW!blee
05-09-2009, 09:34 PM
dude, this game changes everything. with this win, we could easily tie it up 2-2 and have a series on our hands.

join the club.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 09:36 PM
join the club.

:wtf you guys lost game 3 fair and square.

gaKNOW!blee
05-09-2009, 09:39 PM

Barry play last year, game 4.

Obviously he fouled him (Wright) but a few questions.

1. Why did he put his hands up like he was trying to avoid contact after he fouled Melo?

2. And why didn't he just wrap him up?

Findog
05-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Barry play last year, game 4.

Obviously he fouled him (Wright) but a few questions.

1. Why did he put his hands up like he was trying to avoid contact after he fouled Melo?

2. And why didn't he just wrap him up?

He didn't want to get hit with a shooting foul.

scanry
05-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Game 4 of last year's WCF, not this year's SA-Dallas series...

gaKNOW!blee
05-09-2009, 09:42 PM
He didn't want to get hit with a shooting foul.

Good point. Didn't really think of that.

Balance
05-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Even if the refs had called the foul, it doesn't mean the Nuggets wouldn't win... If Dirk had time to try another shot, Melo or JR could have made that shot with less time... Just saying...

Shank
05-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Besides, Wright knew what constituted a foul in that situation. He didn't need to hammer the guy. He did what was pretty stock in that situation and the NBA obviously fucked it up.

Spursmania
05-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the tough road of winning a Championship. The road to the Championships continues to be a a matter of talent, toughness, health, experience, and lots of luck with the refs calls.

gaKNOW!blee
05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
To be honest. That was kind of a weak foul attempt. That was really nothing more than a reach in.

Shank
05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Even if the refs had called the foul, it doesn't mean the Nuggets wouldn't win... If Dirk had time to try another shot, Melo or JR could have made that shot with less time... Just saying...

Yeah, but we'll never know. That call could have been the proverbial moth's wings in China and could have ultimately lead to world peace after a chain of events. Thanks, NBA.

Ghazi
05-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, how much time would've been left if the refs did make the right call? 2-3 seconds?

I'd say the odds at that point would've been fairly low for the Nugs to WIN the game... hell they could sent it to OT I guess. Not impossible, but low odds.

We'll never know.

Oh well :(

Findog
05-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Besides, Wright knew what constituted a foul in that situation. He didn't need to hammer the guy. He did what was pretty stock in that situation and the NBA obviously fucked it up.

that's true, but just as the non-call is inexcusable, so is Wright not playing to the whistle.

TampaDude
05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah, same release was given last year after Fisher tackled Barry.

Which resulted in another championship!

Five rings, maggots!!!!

WERD...we should just go ahead and claim that 5th :lobt: for the Spurs.

San Antonio Spurs = 2008 NBA Champions
:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

Findog
05-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Somebody needs to make a Where Amazing happens commercial with Wright looking for the call and the reaction of the Dallas bench after Melo nails that shot.

baseline bum
05-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Somebody needs to make a Where Amazing happens commercial with Wright looking for the call and the reaction of the Dallas bench after Melo nails that shot.

Balance
05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
the amazing happens commercial... wow... that was fast!! :lmao

TampaDude
05-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Heh...that didn't take long, did it??? :lol

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Just like Paul getting 3 FT from half court when everyone knew that the Spurs would intentionally foul?

Mavs fans were saying that the Spurs should have made sure to foul him so there was no questions asked.

Funny.

duncan228
05-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Updated.

NBA admits refs’ error that cost Mavericks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txmissedfoulerror&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Stephen Hawkins

The NBA admitted officials were wrong when they didn’t call an intentional foul the Dallas Mavericks were trying to commit before Denver’s Carmelo Anthony made a game-winning 3-pointer Saturday night.

Dallas had a two-point lead and a foul to give when Denver inbounded the ball with less than 8 seconds left. Antoine Wright was clearly trying to foul Anthony, and bumped him twice.

But the whistle never blew and Anthony swished a 3-pointer from in front of the Dallas bench with a second left that gave the Nuggets a 106-105 victory and a 3-0 series lead.

“At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony’s three-point basket,” Joel Litvin, NBA president of league and basketball operations, said in a statement issued by the league about two hours after the game.

In the aftermath of the scandal involving former referee Tim Donaghy, the NBA has begun publicly acknowledging certain officiating mistakes.

Donaghy is serving a prison sentence for betting on games he officiated and taking cash payments from gambling associates for information to help them with bets.

A day after Game 4 of the Western Conference finals last year, the NBA said a foul should have been called against Derek Fisher of the Los Angeles Lakers on the final possession. That could have given San Antonio a chance to win the game and get even in the series.

Fisher jumped and came down on Brent Barry in the final seconds of a two-point game. No foul was called and Barry missed badly on a 3-pointer as time expired.

Mark Wunderlich, one of the three officials for that game last year, was part of the crew for the Denver-Dallas game Saturday night and was the one closest to Wright and Anthony.

“I’m almost as disappointed for Mark as I am for us. … It’s a call he makes 100 percent of the time,” Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said after Saturday’s game.

Added Wright: “I was positive a whistle was coming, just like everybody else was positive the whistle was coming. I made a play on the ball like I was told in the huddle, and the call wasn’t made. … I’m upset like everyone else in this locker room, and I feel like we have a right to be upset.”

Ghazi
05-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Just like Paul getting 3 FT from half court when everyone knew that the Spurs would intentionally foul?

Mavs fans were saying that the Spurs should have made sure to foul him so there was no questions asked.

Funny.

Link?

I for one said it was a bad call.

What's with Spurs fans always putting shit in Mavs' mouths? Like when you say the Mavs and their fans think beating the Spurs is just as good as winning a championship? Uhhh, not really, get off the high horse.

2006 NBA fucking champs.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2009, 10:16 PM
That vid BB put up shows me a defender who bodied up and then CLEARLY put up his hands and backed away after the contact. The NBA is apparently afraid of Mark Cuban going out there and throwing a hissy fit to the point that they don't care about what actually happened.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Link?

What's with Spurs fans always putting shit in Mavs' mouths? Like when you say the Mavs and their fans think beating the Spurs is just as good as winning a championship? Uhhh, not really, get off the high horse.

2006 NBA fucking champs.

Okay, genius.

Yuushi12
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
heat already won their title, wade got his first. trophy is with them get over it.

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Okay, genius.

It is sad that Ghazi has the answer to his own questions.

Dirkadirkastan
05-09-2009, 10:23 PM
WERD...we should just go ahead and claim that 5th :lobt: for the Spurs.

Obviously would have rolled over the Celts too.

I guess it is true that the Spurs won every series they didn't play. :rolleyes

TampaDude
05-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Updated.

NBA admits refs’ error that cost Mavericks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txmissedfoulerror&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Stephen Hawkins

The NBA admitted officials were wrong when they didn’t call an intentional foul the Dallas Mavericks were trying to commit before Denver’s Carmelo Anthony made a game-winning 3-pointer Saturday night.

Dallas had a two-point lead and a foul to give when Denver inbounded the ball with less than 8 seconds left. Antoine Wright was clearly trying to foul Anthony, and bumped him twice.

But the whistle never blew and Anthony swished a 3-pointer from in front of the Dallas bench with a second left that gave the Nuggets a 106-105 victory and a 3-0 series lead.

“At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony’s three-point basket,” Joel Litvin, NBA president of league and basketball operations, said in a statement issued by the league about two hours after the game.

In the aftermath of the scandal involving former referee Tim Donaghy, the NBA has begun publicly acknowledging certain officiating mistakes.

Donaghy is serving a prison sentence for betting on games he officiated and taking cash payments from gambling associates for information to help them with bets.

A day after Game 4 of the Western Conference finals last year, the NBA said a foul should have been called against Derek Fisher of the Los Angeles Lakers on the final possession. That could have given San Antonio a chance to win the game and get even in the series.

Fisher jumped and came down on Brent Barry in the final seconds of a two-point game. No foul was called and Barry missed badly on a 3-pointer as time expired.

Mark Wunderlich, one of the three officials for that game last year, was part of the crew for the Denver-Dallas game Saturday night and was the one closest to Wright and Anthony.

“I’m almost as disappointed for Mark as I am for us. … It’s a call he makes 100 percent of the time,” Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said after Saturday’s game.

Added Wright: “I was positive a whistle was coming, just like everybody else was positive the whistle was coming. I made a play on the ball like I was told in the huddle, and the call wasn’t made. … I’m upset like everyone else in this locker room, and I feel like we have a right to be upset.”

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Link?

2006 NBA fucking champs.

lol at the Spurs.....

Haha why are you Spurs fans crying...Spurs deserved to lose. Sure the should have call the reach in foul in the backcourt but Manu did foul him when he was shooting the 3....Manu is a moron as usual

If the spurs had mugged chris paul in the backcourt instead of just blowing kisses to him as he split the D and went to Manu--they would have won this game......................

Ghazi
05-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Meh, just 1 Mavs fan and 1 Rockets fan.

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Meh, just 1 Mavs fan and 1 Rockets fan.

There is plenty more where that came from sons. 2006 Champs; says it all.

dude1394
05-09-2009, 10:30 PM
If Bennet Salvatore is in the building...bad officiating will occur.

Interesting...didn't the league replay a heat-suns game this year because someone incorrectly was fouled out?

KSeal
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM

:lmao You really think that Spurs team last year with a hobbled Manu would have beaten the Celtics in the finals :rollin What a joke, even if they tied the series they still weren't beating the Lakers, that was obvious.

Spurs Brazil
05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
:lol:lol:lol

sook
05-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Just in..

"What do you want me to do?" Wright asked after the game. "Do you want me to Derek Fisher him, just take him out, and then I get a flagrant foul late in the game? I can't blatantly run through the guy, I have to try to make a play on the ball and that's what I felt like I did. I didn't want to jeopardize my team in any way by making a foolish foul."

I'm guessing that the flagrants like on Artest really had players worried. Congrats Stu Jackson you fucking idiot.

TampaDude
05-09-2009, 10:43 PM
:lmao You really think that Spurs team last year with a hobbled Manu would have beaten the Celtics in the finals :rollin What a joke, even if they tied the series they still weren't beating the Lakers, that was obvious.

Dude...sarcasm >>>>> you. :lmao

crc21209
05-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Antoine Wright shouldnt have stopped playing...you NEVER stop playing until you hear a whistle. That and...why didnt he just tell the official beforehand that he was going to intentionally foul. This is all on the Mavs/Wright.

Jacob1983
I'm shocked. The NBA admitting a mistake. I can't believe this. They never admit their mistakes.

KSeal
Dude...sarcasm >>>>> you. :lmao

Thank god.. I expect the worst from Spur fans, that is usually what they give.

TampaDude
05-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Heh...nobody was getting by the Celtics last year, anyway.

ploto
05-09-2009, 10:48 PM
He should have wrapped him up- no need to cremate him but just make sure it is obvious and he can not get a shot off.

I would be willing to bet the ref did not know the Mavericks had a foul to give and thought he was letting late game contact go.

KSeal
05-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Heh...nobody was getting by the Celtics last year, anyway.

Well the Spurs would have given the Celtics a much better run then the Lakers did... but yeah nobody was beating them last year.

endrity
05-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Ok, a few points:

1) Could Wright have fouled him harder? Yes, but also given how the calls had gone during the night that was more than enough to warrant a foul. He body pushed Melo twice and that should have been more than enough for a call given the standards set in during the game. Plus, as illogicial as this might sound, a ref should know that a team has a foul to give and is trying to use that. Usually they do actually.

2) One of the reasons people are blaming Wright is why he raised his arms up or stopped playing? The answer seems obvious to me, he wanted to make sure he wasn't fouling Melo during the shot attempt which would have given the Nuggets 3 FT attempts.

3) What pisses me even more is that they could have easily reversed that call on the floor. The refs got together, and with help of video could instantly have made that call for a foul, set the clock and get the game going. This is one of the reasons why they can use video now, and it was somewhat of a consequence of the Fisher call last year.

4) The NBA refs continue to be simply awful. After the Donaghy scandal, and the Fisher incident the league said they were going to improve. Yet Artest gets ejected twice for inexplicable reasons (other than his reputation maybe), Rondo fails to get ejected twice, they blow an obvious call in a crucial moment and fail to correct it when they could and should. It's not that Bennett Salvatore is a crooked ref or part of a conspiracy or whatever; he is simply awful.

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
yay!!!!! a press release that solves nothing two years in a row

Jeremy
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Question: If Melo had missed the shot, would Mav fans be complaining?

TampaDude
05-09-2009, 11:10 PM
yay!!!!! a press release that solves nothing two years in a row

Stern: "Yeah, the refs fucked up. Sucks you all didn't win. Sorry, my bad." :lol

endrity
05-09-2009, 11:11 PM

No, the Nuggets fan would be, and they would have been right, and the league again would have been forced to send out a press release.

Findog
05-09-2009, 11:17 PM

No more than Denver fans are complaining that Wright wasn't whistled for a foul. We should root for the refs to get it right across the board.

Spursfan092120
05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
LOL Ghazi....

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/Brdman1980/straitjacket_new1-1.jpg

Spursfan092120
05-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Obviously would have rolled over the Celts too.

I guess it is true that the Spurs won every series they didn't play. :rolleyes
yeah..and the Mavs really are the 2006 NBA Champs too..lol...

poop
05-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Link?

2006 NBA fucking champs.

dude everyone knows the spurs won in 2006, it was the 2nd of our 3-peat. after we beat you guys we raped Phoenix as usual in the WCF, then swept Miami in the Finals. we also swept the Finals the following year...a 3-peat with back-to-back Finals sweeps.
i know it was a bitter loss against us in '06 but christ get over it already.

ehz33satx
05-09-2009, 11:27 PM
suck on this you little faggots that were trying to justify that we just simply "choked." the nba is a motherfucking joke of a league

So is your beloved team.

BlackSwordsMan
05-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I feel bad for dirk the whole world is against him

ehz33satx
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Dallas Mavericks = 2006 NBA fucking chumps.

Capt Bringdown
05-09-2009, 11:48 PM
There's no price to pay for this kind of BS officiating, that's why it continues.

ElNono
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
David Stern press release:

'We screwed up. So what?'

ducks
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
During the timeout before Anthony's winning shot, Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle reminded his players they had a foul to give and told them to use it. Wright's attempt was good enough for the league office, but not for the crew. The official closest to the play was Mark Wunderlich, the same official who did not call a foul on Los Angeles' Derek Fisher at the end of Game 4 of last year's Western Conference finals.

Amaso
05-10-2009, 12:13 AM
This would sting alot more for Mavs fans if they hadn't won the 2006 championship.

Ghazi
05-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Ohh no biggie, it just might of decided the series in the playoffs....

most people wont view it that way though

If Nuggets win 4-0 or 4-1 people will say nuggets were better team and woulda won regardless.

But the dynamics of the series were altered by that call POSSIBLY (Nuggets still could've won, I suppose)... and people seem to forget there was some bad officiating in Game 1. The way they were playing Dirk he deserved 12-14 FT's but only got 4 + 1 technical. And then there's the ominous 1-15 record w/ Crawford officiating w/ 43 less fouls and 115 less free throws... which if objectivity is assumed has about a 1-2% chance of happening.

I dunno, I guess I'm not THAT upset at end of day since Mavs weren't winning a title regardless. It's just deflating and discouraging. Makes the ghaz feel empty:(

Mavs<Spurs
05-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Look, dude, I'm a big Spurs fan, but I'm honest and not stupid: I know the Lakers were a much better team last year than we were. And I know that is even more true (obviously) this year.

Most of us already know that.

If we don't admit our deficiencies, we won't ever improve.
The first step on the road to improvement is to admit you screwed up and your team isn't very good.

Our team isn't very good and would not make it out of the first round as presently constituted. So, if the front office makes no moves, I would predict we lose in the first round again.

And I can detail areas of major weakness.

And I love my Spurs as much as anyone.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 12:34 AM
How many shots did the Mavs miss in the fourth quarter? How many of those fadeaways did Dirk brick in the last few minutes of the game?

And :lmao once again at Wright acting like he was trying to intentionally foul, when he's doing the same motion Mavfan makes fun of Tim Duncan for doing. Gotta love the Maverick propoganda department.

Ghazi
05-10-2009, 12:36 AM
How many shots did the Mavs miss in the fourth quarter? How many of those fadeaways did Dirk brick in the last few minutes of the game?

And :lmao once again at Wright acting like he was trying to intentionally foul, when he's doing the same motion Mavfan makes fun of Tim Duncan for doing. Gotta love the Maverick propoganda department.

How is it "mavericks propaganda" if the league admitted a botched call?

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 12:37 AM

Mark Cuban just wants to improve the quality of the officiating.

(By publicly complaining...

and running onto the court to berate the officials)

and only when said improved officiating benefits the Mavericks.

Biggems
05-10-2009, 12:38 AM
reminds me of the game in NO this year when we purposely fouled Chris Paul twice in the backcourt, but the refs didnt call it. They did however, call the foul on Manu as Paul was shooting the 3.

then there was game 4 of last years WCF

shit happens and then you move on. after all the bullshit ways the Spurs have lost games over the years, I will not have any sympathy or remorse for any other team, especially one full of bitches like Dirk Hasselhoff, Turtlehead, Cuban, Dampier, Mr. Ed, Wife Beater, and the Puerto Rican Pygmy

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 12:43 AM

:lol at Mavfan finally defending the NBA when it supports his argument. The league didn't even have time to look at it. The statement was released within an hour of the game.

Watch the play; Wright committed a blocking foul at best and put his hands up. Only after the shot went in did he turn to the officials to complain. If he'd wanted to intentionally foul, he could simply have wrapped melo up. It's not like he didn't have chances. That David Stern decided to issue that press release isn't any more right than when he suspended Bruce Bowen, it was a political decision that wasn't based on anything that actually happened.

Hey, it's a moral victory that the dumbass NBA made an incorrect knee-jerk statement due to pressure from your team. When's the parade?

Ghazi
05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Really no point in arguing with Spurs fans

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
reminds me of the game in NO this year when we purposely fouled Chris Paul twice in the backcourt, but the refs didnt call it. They did however, call the foul on Manu as Paul was shooting the 3.

then there was game 4 of last years WCF

shit happens and then you move on. after all the bullshit ways the Spurs have lost games over the years, I will not have any sympathy or remorse for any other team, especially one full of bitches like Dirk Hasselhoff, Turtlehead, Cuban, Dampier, Mr. Ed, Wife Beater, and the Puerto Rican Pygmy

Carmelo kept playing and put the ball in the basket. Wright made the worst excuse for an intentional foul in the history of basketball on the heels of his team just shitting away a lead with their lack of aggression and un-clutchness. I don't think there's really anything unjust about the outcome of the game.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Really no point in arguing with Spurs fans

Not when you won't accept facts, there isn't. If you watched the game, you know damn good and well that Wright wasn't intentionally fouling, and that he was trying to play defense. He made contact with his chest, trying to get position and put his hands up and backed away immediately after instead of just putting his arms around a guy that was right in front of him.

Findog

OV is blinded where Mark Cuban and the Dallas Mavericks are concerned. In his world, the league admitting the call was botched = favor for noted Stern favorite Mark Cuban. Makes absolutely no sense.

mavs>spurs2
I don't mean to make anyone's world come crashing down on top of them, but the league is pretty much just for entertainment like WWE. If you want to see real competitive basketball then watch a high school or college game. You all are arguing over whether or not Bret Hart got screwed vs Shawn Michaels.

Biggems
05-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't mean to make anyone's world come crashing down on top of them, but the league is pretty much just for entertainment like WWE. If you want to see real competitive basketball then watch a high school or college game. You all are arguing over whether or not Bret Hart got screwed vs Shawn Michaels.

Everyone knows Bret is just another Canadien Bitch, who might as well be from PHX, cause he got punked and owned by the San Antonio Kid Shawn Michaels.

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Everyone knows Bret is just another Canadien Bitch, who might as well be from PHX, cause he got punked and owned by the San Antonio Kid Shawn Michaels.
http://www.bearings.com/publications_and_reports/images/YouGotRight386.jpg

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 01:00 AM
OV is blinded where Mark Cuban and the Dallas Mavericks are concerned. In his world, the league admitting the call was botched = favor for noted Stern favorite Mark Cuban. Makes absolutely no sense.

Well, I fully expect you of all people to do the exact same thing you did when Jason Terry punched Finley and just avoid watching what actually happened in favor of what everyone says to the press afterward.

Jacob1983
05-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Can someone please explain to me how the Spurs have suffered? I can't stand the woe is me shit from Spurs fans. They have no reason to bitch. 3 championships this decade. Be grateful.

sa_kid20
05-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Stern: "Yeah, the refs fucked up. Sucks you all didn't win. Sorry, my bad." :lol

:lol Seriously, what is the point of these statements just like Game 4 last year and then this game? If the NBA wants to make a statement so they can sleep better at night whatever, but it just seems like more of a slap in the face and in the end doesn't change a thing. I mean if the NBA was gonna come out with a statement after this game, they might as well come out with another statement saying Michael Jordan pushed off in game 6 of the Finals in '98. oops.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Can someone please explain to me how the Spurs have suffered? I can't stand the woe is me shit from Spurs fans. They have no reason to bitch. 3 championships this decade. Be grateful.

I can't say that the Spurs have suffered, but I can explain what people are whining about:

I. There are people that think Derek Fisher couldn't have gotten a shot off in .4 of a second. a. those people are wrong, and b. there should have been .8 on the clock anyway.

II. There are people that think bad reffing is why the Mavs beat the Spurs in 2006. Wrong again. Pop got outcoached and refused to play his centers.

III. There are people that think calling Fisher's foul on Barry last year was going to make the Spurs beat the Lakers with Manu injured and Kobe playing as though Spike Lee was filming him. They also fail to notice that the Lakers got screwed on two calls just before that which would have sealed the win for them regardless.

Findog
05-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Well, I fully expect you of all people to do the exact same thing you did when Jason Terry punched Finley and just avoid watching what actually happened in favor of what everyone says to the press afterward.

?????????

I can't parse this at all. Cuban was wrong to defend his player in that instance. The League admitted error at what happened at the end of G3 today.

?????????

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 02:40 AM
?????????

I can't parse this at all. Cuban was wrong to defend his player in that instance. The League admitted error at what happened at the end of G3 today.

?????????

It's a matter of being in denial of what actually took place on the court.
The league is taking the word of the coaches and players that Wright was committing an intentional foul, even though there's zero evidence on video to suggest that it was an intentional foul, or anything more than a brain fart by Wright. The league "admitting" error is a result of the explanations of the Mavericks after the fact, even though everybody that's watched basketball knows that there wouldn't have been any statement if the entire team hadn't thrown a fucking hissy fit.

The statement after the Fisher non-call last year also seems to have been cathartic for the league, so they were only too happy to issue another one undermining their zebras just to act like they're on top of things. That play against LA was a make-up non-call which the Lakers deserved. After the two mistakes the refs had made, I think an out of bounds issue and a travel, there's no way the Spurs should be bailed out on a pump fake three at the buzzer. Again, the NBA made the statement to silence the conspiracy theorists, which basically just results in making them look incompetent.

Jacob1983
05-10-2009, 02:58 AM
Why whine about 3 incidents? Your team has 4 championships.

ShoogarBear
05-10-2009, 03:23 AM
2006 NBA fucking champs.

Tim Duncan fouls out for getting his foot stepped on?

2006 NBA Western Conference Semi-Finalist Losers.

Muser
05-10-2009, 03:37 AM
I'm glad the shot counted, when you're up by 2 you play defense, you don't pussy out like Wright did and foul.

Capt Bringdown
05-10-2009, 04:46 AM
David Stern press release:

'We screwed up. So what?'

"Kobe vs LeBron, the NBA is back!"

icem
05-10-2009, 04:53 AM

actually, the mavs DID choke this one away....

missed FTs

dirk misses shot that could have put it away

wright has mental error and doesn't follow through on his foul, then puts his arms up as if to say, "nooope, i didn't foul him!"... because he thought no way in hell melo would that shot.

he was wrong.... mavs choked

LOL mavs :rollin

Rogue
05-10-2009, 05:04 AM
Las entero liga es justo un grande estafa, los arbitros era pedazos de mierda. El NBA final competencias era simplemente pedazos de mierda, carajo los arbitros and pepitas.

Hubie Brown
05-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Mike this was a really bizarre play. What do we always say, play until you hear the whistle. There was no whistle and yet Wright stopped playing! It was a clutch shot for Melo and a lapse in judgment by Wright, but a learning experience at the same time.

Basketballgirl25
05-10-2009, 05:48 AM
here's a simple thing for the league to do. Before game four play the last 6 or whatever seconds before the foul and see who wins that whoever does gets the win really that simple and fair and Mav fans can stop crying:bang

Ice009
05-10-2009, 06:11 AM

Dallas fucking fans. Do you realize you never would have gotten to the finals if the refs didn't screw the Spurs over in games 3 and 4 in Dallas.

We both got screwed over. Yes I do think the league is full of shit with the officiating, but we got screwed over too that year.

Ice009
05-10-2009, 06:20 AM

DALLAS FANS ARE YOU THAT FUCKING RETARDED.

I have not heard from you once how you got help from the refs to beat the Spurs in games 3 and 4 in 2006.

FUCKING OWN UP TO IT. What ShoogarBear said is just one of the ridiculous BS calls in those 4th quarters against the Spurs.

NBA Junkie
05-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm guessing the league didn't want to prolong the inevitability of the Nuggets winning this series. :lol

Any word as to whether Mark Cuban had kittens over this?

Armando
05-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Neither team would have been happy if they lost. The Nuggets had legit beef with the way the game was called against thier big men. This was a classic Salvatore game choppy and no flow to the game. 61 fouls

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 09:42 AM
This is what I am saying: The refs may be able to make it hard for a team to win, but in no way can they make it impossible.

Everyone chooses to focus their ire on that one call because it is the most frustrating moment; like many have said, what about all the moments that came before it? Was there no way the Mavs could have won that game? Was it the officiating that kept the Nuggets close the entire game or that won them games 1 and 2?

I know it is frustrating, and all things considered it was a bad call, but Wright did not help his case by fouling the way he did. He definitely put the refs in a tough spot by retreating after the initial contact and that was a mistake.

Let it go. The refs were never the reason the Spurs lost to the Mavs, and the refs were not the reason the Mavericks have lost to the Nuggets the past 7 or 8 times they have played.

Flux451
05-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Then quit watching and STFU

Morg1411
05-10-2009, 09:50 AM
then quit watching and stfu

+1000

Cry Havoc
05-10-2009, 09:57 AM

That was the worst officiated series I have ever seen, and it's not close.

Ice009
05-10-2009, 10:02 AM
That was the worst officiated series I have ever seen, and it's not close.

I disagree with what you said DPG21920. I agree with what Cry Havoc has said right here.

The NBA refs are total garbage and a series like in 2006 make you wonder if the league is favoring certain teams in certain games.

Who are the best NBA refs anyway? I thought someone said a couple of years ago that Danny Crawford is a good ref. Where is he right now? Is he officiating any games?

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I disagree with what you said DPG21920. I agree with what Cry Havoc has said right here.

The NBA refs are total garbage and a series like in 2006 make you wonder if the league is favoring certain teams in certain games.

Who are the best NBA refs anyway? I thought someone said a couple of years ago that Danny Crawford is a good ref. Where is he right now? Is he officiating any games?

Well you can disagree all you want, but why would the league favor a team in certain years and not another?

Was the league favoring the Spurs in 99, 03, 05, 07?

Cry Havoc
05-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Well you can disagree all you want, but why would the league favor a team in certain years and not another?

Was the league favoring the Spurs in 99, 03, 05, 07?

No one was going to stop Duncan & Co. in any of those years. That's not the NBA stopping him, it's keeping the damage to a minimum. The only argument you could possibly make for a team having a chance to beat the Spurs is the Suns in 07.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 10:31 AM
So only in the years the Spurs lost, could the refs stop them?

You do realize how that sounds...Plenty of teams could have stopped the Spurs from winning a title in some of those years.

poop
05-10-2009, 11:09 AM
its not an 'either-or' thing. the league doesnt control the outcome of everything, all the time. it would be obvious and no one would watch. but keep in mind the nba IS a business, and from time to time they certainly do have the ability-and the motive- to nudge things in a certain direction. there are ideal scenarios and unfavorable scenarios for the league. every now and then they can subtly intervene-whether it be biased through officiating, or gift trades- to help steer away from what they consider an unacceptable situation.
2006* was one of these occassions.

Findog
05-10-2009, 11:13 AM
The bottom line about yesterday: It's not the officials fault Dallas was down 0-2 and couldn't afford a loss. It's not their fault Josh and Jet both missed free throws in the final two minutes that would've made anything Melo did at the end irrelevant. It's not their fault that Dirk missed a jumper that would've clinched it, or that Wright elected to stop playing when he didn't hear a whistle. When you don't play a perfect game and give the other team a chance at the end, you leave yourself open to lucky shots and/or incorrect calls by the officials.

The correct call in that instance is foul on the floor by Antoine Wright and side out for Denver with 2 seconds left. The Nuggets are simply a better team and would've won the series anyways, so now the only suspense is if Dallas can avoid a sweep.

Findog
05-10-2009, 11:17 AM
its not an 'either-or' thing. the league doesnt control the outcome of everything, all the time. it would be obvious and no one would watch. but keep in mind the nba IS a business, and from time to time they certainly do have the ability-and the motive- to nudge things in a certain direction. there are ideal scenarios and unfavorable scenarios for the league. every now and then they can subtly intervene-whether it be biased through officiating, or gift trades- to help steer away from what they consider an unacceptable situation.

Exactly. Salvatore is a actually a home-cooking kind of ref, and there's no doubt in my mind the league wanted Dallas to win yesterday so the series would last longer. But as we can see, the only guarantee you're getting with Salvatore is atrocious calls that negatively affect both teams.

K-State Spur
05-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Yeah, college is so REAL that the home team almost always goes +10 at the FT line.

Say what you will about NBA officials, but (SADLY) they are still - by far - the best in the world at what they do.

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 11:35 AM
The bottom line about yesterday: It's not the officials fault Dallas was down 0-2 and couldn't afford a loss. It's not their fault Josh and Jet both missed free throws in the final two minutes that would've made anything Melo did at the end irrelevant. It's not their fault that Dirk missed a jumper that would've clinched it, or that Wright elected to stop playing when he didn't hear a whistle. When you don't play a perfect game and give the other team a chance at the end, you leave yourself open to lucky shots and/or incorrect calls by the officials.

The correct call in that instance is foul on the floor by Antoine Wright and side out for Denver with 2 seconds left. The Nuggets are simply a better team and would've won the series anyways, so now the only suspense is if Dallas can avoid a sweep.
Much respect, Findog..I'm glad a Mavs fan has come out and just said they were beat. I said the same thing when Dallas beat us...they were just the better team in that series..period.

mavs>spurs2
05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
The correct call in that instance is foul on the floor by Antoine Wright and side out for Denver with 2 seconds left.

I thought it was fucking retarded when they replayed the Miami game where Shaq was supposed to have fouled out, but if you're going to do it then, they should definite replay last nights game which actually matters. This league is such a joke that they can't even follow their own retarded guidelines. Consistency is what we need, preferably consistently fair. But at this point, I'll even take consistently bad, so we at least know what to expect in a given situation. Fuck

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I thought it was fucking retarded when they replayed the Miami game where Shaq was supposed to have fouled out, but if you're going to do it then, they should definite replay last nights game which actually matters. This league is such a joke that they can't even follow their own retarded guidelines.
I agree with that..I thought it was completely ignorant to replay that game...But it's happened before

Matchup: Heat at Hawks
Date: Dec. 19, 2007
Scenario: The Heat protested because, with 51.9 seconds remaining in OT, the Hawks' scoring table personnel incorrectly disqualified Miami's Shaquille O'Neal, asserting that a foul committed by O'Neal was his sixth of the game (it was only his fifth). Misstep: The Hawks' official scorer mistakenly attributed to O'Neal a foul at 3:24 remaining in the fourth quarter that was actually called against the Heat's Udonis Haslem.
Ruling: The protest will result is the ending of the game being replayed.

Matchup: Lakers at Spurs
Date: Nov. 30, 1982
Scenario: The Spurs claimed misapplication of the lane violation rule with 3 seconds left.
Ruling: Protest was upheld on grounds that the error clearly affected the outcome of the game.

Matchup: Nets at 76ers
Date: Nov. 8, 1978
Scenario: Nets claimed misapplication of technical foul rule in second quarter resulting in four unwarranted free throws and ejection of their head coach.
Ruling: Protest upheld on grounds that the error clearly affected the outcome of the game.

Matchup: Celtics at Lakers
Date: Dec. 8, 1954
Scenario: The Celtics claimed that the final two free throws by Vern Mikkelsen were not valid because they came on a foul committed after the game ended.
Ruling: Commissioner Maurice Podoloff upheld the referee's ruling.
-- Compiled by ESPN Research

And this could be done for this game...but the fact that it's a foul that was the problem..not something that was out of the Mavericks control. But it wouldn't hurt me if they decided to replay it. Won't happen though.

Findog
05-10-2009, 12:29 PM
They can replay the end of the game, but it would never happen. Bizarre to me that they would go out of their way to replay the end of a Hawks-Heat game when Shaq was incorrectly fouled out...after Shaq was traded, and in a regular season game of no significance to either team. But they won't replay this.

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 12:31 PM
They can replay the end of the game, but it would never happen. Bizarre to me that they would go out of their way to replay the end of a Hawks-Heat game when Shaq was incorrectly fouled out...after Shaq was traded, and in a regular season game of no significance to either team. But they won't replay this.
:tu Exactly..even though if any of those games should be replayed, it'd be this one.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Or the Spurs/Lakers from last year...

Findog
05-10-2009, 12:33 PM
More than anything else, people are frustrated at the inconsistency of the league's decisions. They move heaven and earth to replay that Hawks-Heat game, and this directly affects a series. At 2-1, it's still a series. Denver still in control, Dallas still an underdog, but still a series. At 3-0, Denver has practically moved on. And it's out of the question to replay the final 3 seconds of that game.

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Or the Spurs/Lakers from last year...
:tu

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/barry0527.jpg

Findog
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
It's inexcusable for Wright to not play to the whistle, but in a game that featured 89 free throws, his two swipes and nudges to Melo's arm constituted a foul...especially when that was his intention.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Bad call for sure. But why did Wright do the universal signal for I am not fouling?

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Bad call for sure. But why did Wright do the universal signal for I am not fouling?
good question

Dunc n Dave
05-10-2009, 12:39 PM
What goes around comes around...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2006/05/28/nowitzki_was_driving_force/
Harm, but no foul
Fresh from the Too Little, Too Late Dept. comes word that the NBA rescinded the technical foul against San Antonio's Michael Finley in the second quarter of Game 4 in Dallas. Finley was called for a technical with 4:44 remaining in the half, and it appeared to be borderline at best. ``You can imagine what I wanted to say when I heard that," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who found out about the decision Thursday. ``Does that mean we win the game by 1 point?" Game 4, which was played May 15, went into overtime, and the Mavericks prevailed, 123-118, so the technical was huge. (Dirk Nowitzki made the free throw.) For Finley, it means he won't have to fork over $1,000 to the league. For the Spurs, it means yet another tough break in a series they just as easily could have won.

http://communities.canada.com/shareit/blogs/nbapostup/archive/2008/05/29/fisher-fouled-barry-league-admits.aspx
In a split second the San Antonio Spurs went from having a good shot at winning the Western Conference final to having almost none. Now the league says the refs made a mistake.

For those of you who missed it, in the dying seconds of Game 4, with the Lakers up 93-91, Lakers defender Derek Fisher bumped Spurs guard Brent Barry as Barry was preparing to take the final shot from just out side the three point arc. No call was made, and Barry heaved up a shot that clanked off the right side of the rim. The Lakers won the game to go up 3-1 in the series.

On Thursday, however, the league admitted the refs should have called Fisher for a foul before the shot, which would have sent Barry, who made 95 per cent of his free throws this season, to the line for a chance to tie the game.

"With the benefit of instant replay, it appears a foul call should have been made," said NBA spokesman Tim Frank.

What confuses matters, however, is what another NBA spokesman, Brian McIntyre, had told the Los Angeles Times before Frank made his statement:

"There is an explanation in the rule book that there are times during games when the degree of certainty necessary to determine a foul involving physical contact is higher. That comes during impact time when the intensity has risen, especially at the end of a game. In other words, if you're going to call something then, be certain."

Spurs coach Greg Popovich told the Times he'd never heard of such an explanation. But what the league says hardly matters now. The game is over and done with. And so, almost certainly, is the Spurs' season.

dirk4mvp
05-10-2009, 12:40 PM
To avoid getting called for a shooting foul?

FromWayDowntown
05-10-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...driving_force/
Harm, but no foul
Fresh from the Too Little, Too Late Dept. comes word that the NBA rescinded the technical foul against San Antonio's Michael Finley in the second quarter of Game 4 in Dallas. Finley was called for a technical with 4:44 remaining in the half, and it appeared to be borderline at best. ``You can imagine what I wanted to say when I heard that," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who found out about the decision Thursday. ``Does that mean we win the game by 1 point?" Game 4, which was played May 15, went into overtime, and the Mavericks prevailed, 123-118, so the technical was huge. (Dirk Nowitzki made the free throw.) For Finley, it means he won't have to fork over $1,000 to the league. For the Spurs, it means yet another tough break in a series they just as easily could have won.

Bavetta's phantom technical on Finley in that spot is truly one of the least frequently discussed, completely atrocious calls of all time. Was it series-altering? Who knows. But after having Duncan foul out in the 4th quarter of Game 3 on an extremely questionable call (the Spurs lost game 3 despite shooting 76% from the field (13-17) in the 4th quarter, in part because the Mavericks shot 22 free throws in that same quarter), Game 4 was vital; Bavetta hit Finley with a second quarter technical that was inexplicable. As regulation wound down, the Mavs tied the game on 2 Nowitzki free throws with about 8 seconds to go; but had they been trailing by 3 instead of two, the end game would have been very different. And as Tim Duncan said afterward: "One play either way, one call either way, whatever it may be, it came down to that." The Spurs had their chances and lost because they didn't execute, but that atrocious techincal didn't help their cause.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 01:03 PM
To avoid getting called for a shooting foul?

The foul was not in the act of shooting. He was trying to foul him then put his arms up.

VI_Massive
05-10-2009, 01:09 PM
The foul was not in the act of shooting. He was trying to foul him then put his arms up.

I think there is blame to go around for that episode.

Blame the ref for not making the seemingly obvious call. But, when a guy pulls his hands up like he wasn't trying to foul its hard to think he was intentionally fouling. And you don't want to be the ref who called a weak touch foul in a last second situation.

Blame Wright for:

1. Not telling the refs he was going to intentionally foul -- I haven't heard anywhere that he did inform the refs.

2. Not wrapping up Carmelo

3. Not playing to the whistle.

That being said you don't want to let him get in the shooting motion and get three free throws. That has to be the reason he pulled his arms back -- to say "hey I fouled but look it was before the shot".

All around a failure. I guess the best way to go about it would have been informing the ref about the intentional foul and then making sure you got it before the shot and played to the whistle. Tough situation.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 01:10 PM
By the way broheim, that dude in you sig is awesome, lol.

Basketballgirl25
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
so now the only suspense is if Dallas can avoid a sweep.

I agree with this, because I don't think there will be another game in Dallas like the one last night if I had to bet. If Dallas can play a good game again then they can win, if not then Nuggets win

Basketballgirl25
05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry, but for anyone here who posts on www.dallas-mavs.com (http://www.dallas-mavs.com) some people are stupid, ok one person. My friend is a Mavs fan and signed up that's how I read the posts, but anyway post by Tremaine

"Yes, they are good, but also extremely lucky, and they still have not faced a team in the playoffs that is a true test.
The Hornets were just a MASH unit and Josh Howard was limping around for you."

"So you can not judge the Nuggets until the LA series."

So I guess I couldn't judge the Mavs till they played Nuggets as well, the first round doesn't count since Spurs didn't have a player

PDXSpursFan
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
During the timeout, the Mavs should've told the refs that they'll intentionally foul. THe loss should be blame on the Mavs coaching staff as much as the refs.

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
During the timeout, the Mavs should've told the refs that they'll intentionally foul. THe loss should be blame on the Mavs coaching staff as much as the refs.
Yeah..that's what the commentators were saying...you're SUPPOSED to do that. You have to let them know..otherwise, barely touching the guy, and then pulling your hands back like you didn't foul doesn't do it. And the Mavs know that. I don't think there was an intent to foul, to be honest with you. I think they were trying to play defense..they just didn't expect the 3.

VI_Massive
05-10-2009, 02:25 PM

This is pretty common. Its hard to believe they didn't inform the refs. Has anyone heard from their staff anything indicating they did communicate it to the refs?

dirk4mvp
05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
So people here are still trying to justify that it was Wright's fuck up even after the league issued a statement admitting it was them that fucked up? ok.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 02:28 PM
So people here are still trying to justify that it was Wright's fuck up even after the league issued a statement admitting it was them that fucked up? ok.

But this is the same league that messed up in the first place, how can one be sure they did not mess this up as well?

Horry For 3!
05-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Mavs are doneski

VI_Massive
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM

you don't want to be the ref who called a weak touch foul in a last second situation unless you know they're intentionally fouling. the mavs failed to communicate that to the refs and then wright sent mixed signals by fouling but raising his hands. he was raising them to make sure he didn't get a shooting foul called, i think, but still, it was a harder call then its being made out to be.

Basketballgirl25
05-10-2009, 08:19 PM

sure the NBA admitted they messed up, but did Dallas say they informed the refs? I didn't hear them say that. Mistakes on both parts I think till I hear otherwise

dirk4mvp
05-10-2009, 08:28 PM
sure the NBA admitted they messed up, but did Dallas say they informed the refs? I didn't hear them say that. Mistakes on both parts I think till I hear otherwise

Did Wright foul Melo or not?

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Wright might have fouled 'melo, but he clearly didn't want to foul 'melo, or he wouldn't have put his hands up after he reached in. He made a snap decision that it was better to just stand back and watch the ball to see if it went in. Only after it went in did he turn to the officials to bitch. Classic case by the Mavs of wanting their cake and eating it too. The NBA was stupid for issuing a statement that it was an intentional foul, when they have absolutely no way of knowing whether or not it was intentional, and the defender's body language says that it wasn't.

I have to say that I love the irony of Mavericks fans whining that the officials robbed them by NOT calling one of their players for a foul.

Findog
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Wright might have fouled 'melo, but he clearly didn't want to foul 'melo, or he wouldn't have put his hands up after he reached in. He made a snap decision that it was better to just stand back and watch the ball to see if it went in. Only after it went in did he turn to the officials to bitch. Classic case by the Mavs of wanting their cake and eating it too. The NBA was stupid for issuing a statement that it was an intentional foul, when they have absolutely no way of knowing whether or not it was intentional, and the defender's body language says that it wasn't.

I have to say that I love the irony of Mavericks fans whining that the officials robbed them by NOT calling one of their players for a foul.

I am amazed at how consistently you exhibit Pavlovian responses to the following:

http://www.laurenec.com/DallasMavericks.jpg

http://mburkert.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/cuban3.jpg

Nice to know that the blue and green is still capable of making you take leave of your senses...and has unhindered access to the manic part of your psychological profile.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm not amazed that you completely ignore all the facts I stated in favor of challenging my motivation for doing so. Yeah, I don't like the Mavericks. Their reaction to a loss by blaming something other than their sheer lack of clutchness - AGAIN - is the primary factor in my dislike of them.

I keep waiting for an opportunity to give them props for losing like men. FYI, I'm still waiting.

Findog
05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm not amazed that you completely ignore all the facts I stated in favor of challenging my motivation for doing so.

Your "facts" dispute Antoine Wright reaching in and hacking at Melo's arms. He should've played to the whistle and wrapped him up better, but in a game that featured 89 free throws, his actions constituted a foul.

Denver is a better team, would've won the series anyways, Jet missed a FT, Josh missed a FT, Dirk missed a shot at the end, etc. They can't blame the loss on that blown call. But it was a blown call, even though in your absurd telling, it wasn't and the league is throwing a sop to Cuban.

mavs>spurs2
05-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Anyone want to help me murder Stern, pm me. We'll take one for the team

SouthTexasRancher
05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4155285

Refs missed intentional foul, NBA admits
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

DALLAS -- The NBA says officials were wrong when they didn't call an intentional foul on the Dallas Mavericks just before Denver's Carmelo Anthony made a game-winning 3-pointer.

2009 NBA Playoffs

Want an in-depth look at the Nuggets-Mavs series? Check out all the stats, analysis and opinion here:
• Nuggets-Mavs page

The Mavericks had the lead and a foul to give Saturday when Denver inbounded the ball trailing by two points with less than 8 seconds left. Antoine Wright was clearly trying to foul Anthony, and bumped him twice.

But the whistle never blew and Anthony swished a 3-pointer from the corner with a second left that gave the Nuggets a 106-105 victory and a 3-0 series lead.

In a statement released after the game, Joel Litvin, NBA president for league and basketball operations, said "the officials missed an intentional foul" committed by Wright on Anthony.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Whiny, crybabies aka 2006 ChUmps so we should not expect anything else but whines and tears!!!

Obstructed_View
05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Your "facts" dispute Antoine Wright reaching in and hacking at Melo's arms.

Not exactly, as I never said he didn't foul him. I said he didn't "intentionally" foul him, as is evident by his body language after he reached in with one hand for the ball and got 'melo across the wrist. But now that you mention it, I do dispute your characterization that he was "hacking at Melo's arms", as though he was whacking away at the guy while the official stood there refusing to call the foul. Carmelo flailed when Wright reached in, and the officials may have been reluctant to reward him with a call, particularly if it could possibly have resulted in three free throws at the end of a game like that.

BTW, how was Wunderlich supposed to see Wright getting Anthony across the wrist when he was behind both players? All Wright had to do was put a hand on 'melo's waist and it's an immediate whistle. One would think an NBA player would understand how to commit a hand-check, but then again, one would think that his body language after reaching in said "I wasn't trying to foul him", one would think that a coach would tell the officials that they intended to foul shooters on the floor, and one would think Wright would have complained to the refs BEFORE the ball went in if he actually thought he should get the call.

sribb43
05-11-2009, 09:23 AM
I cant wait until the day we have the technology when refs are no longer needed

NugzFan
05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry, but for anyone here who posts on www.dallas-mavs.com (http://www.dallas-mavs.com) some people are stupid, ok one person. My friend is a Mavs fan and signed up that's how I read the posts, but anyway post by Tremaine

"Yes, they are good, but also extremely lucky, and they still have not faced a team in the playoffs that is a true test.
The Hornets were just a MASH unit and Josh Howard was limping around for you."

"So you can not judge the Nuggets until the LA series."

So I guess I couldn't judge the Mavs till they played Nuggets as well, the first round doesn't count since Spurs didn't have a player

:lol @ tremaine. this idiot is a nugget hater that goes around signing up on the team forums of whoever we are playing and just trashes the nuggets with complete and utter nonsense. he did it for the hornets, he did it for the mavs and if we advance you will see him at laker boards.

and when we are eliminated he will be the first to celebrate and say 'i told you so!'