PDA

View Full Version : Don't Blame Antoine Wright...

sook
05-09-2009, 10:51 PM
"What do you want me to do?" Wright asked after the game. "Do you want me to Derek Fisher him, just take him out, and then I get a flagrant foul late in the game? I can't blatantly run through the guy, I have to try to make a play on the ball and that's what I felt like I did. I didn't want to jeopardize my team in any way by making a foolish foul."

When the league calls bullshit like the artest stuff, what do you expect players to do.

Stu Jackson needs his ass kicked

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Spanking_Douglas.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__1OzjxCtHZI/RknIR2gos0I/AAAAAAAAAws/hRHTZsHs5i8/s400/Spanking.jpg

pauls931
05-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Not that I have much more to say about this, but I do think it's cool he used the phrase "Derek Fishere him".

Shank
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
5/9/09

The day Derek Fisher became a verb.

Balance
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
5/9/09

The day Derek Fisher became a verb.

:lmao

endrity
05-09-2009, 10:55 PM
I think the league's officiating is just plain terrible. There is no standard from night to night. No one know what constitutes a foul, and it changes within a game as well. The league simply has to set stricter standars and stick by them.

baseline bum
05-09-2009, 10:55 PM
LOL... I called it dead-on

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3379627&postcount=5

Prediction: Dallas is going to whine and say they didn't wrap him up because they didn't want a flagrant.

RonMexico
05-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Agreements all around. For the first time in many years, I've been forced to watch the playoffs simply as a fan and neutral observer since the Suns ate it this year... I don't know if I've seen more bad calls, inconsistency, instances of officials taking over a game (Artest flagrant foul), or poor judgments by the league office in my life.

First off, the Artest foul wasn't a flagrant-1, much less a level two, so if Stu Jackson had any balls, he would have rescinded the flagrant status of the call (although NBA rules have become so complicated over the years, I believe he has the right to do this); secondly, how Rondo and Perkins's physical play has been treated on-and-off the court is borderline favoritism... if Artest thew Hinrich into the scorer's table, he would have been gone for 2 games and Perkins's foul could have been upgraded or warranted a suspension because I don't simply buy the idea that he was "making a basketball play" (which is almost as subjective as the inconsistent application of so-called "football moves"); lastly, everyone knows I'm not a Mavs fan or apologist, but the conclusion of today's game was unfair and awful to any basketball fan... I normally can enjoy when Mark Cuban walks away in a huff, but the anger displayed by him and his team left me feeling empty... I've never seen someone push with his body or swipe at an opponent's arm more blatantly than Antoine Wright did this afternoon and the no call was absurd.

Then again, any crew with Bennett Salvatore or Ken Mauer on it will be the worst in the league... when you put them both on the same unit, you're just begging for a monumental error. As a Suns fan, we had to endure the "letter of the law" ruling a couple of years ago, but the terrible non-call plus the NBA's quick apology today would be more disheartening to me... it's like if Stern came out after the Suns lost Game 5 in '07 and said, "We were incorrect in suspending Stoudemire and Diaw for Game 5, but now that it's over, sorry there's nothing we can do about it."

Hemotivo
05-09-2009, 11:06 PM
:toast

Findog
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, Shaq incorrectly fouled out of a regular season game and they made them replay the end of it the next time Miami was in Atlanta to play the Hawks...even though the Heat had traded Shaq away and it was a regular season game that had no bearing on anything.

They couldn't review the fucking video and wave off the basket, and make it side out for Denver with 2 seconds left? The fuck????? It's really doubtful the Mavs could've won this series, but at 2-1 that's a debate. At 3-0 it's a moot point.

Ghazi
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
FWIW I'm unfamiliar with the rules. COULD the refs have reviewed and waved off the basket and called the foul? Or is that disallowed.

Allanon
05-09-2009, 11:11 PM
FWIW I'm unfamiliar with the rules. COULD the refs have reviewed and waved off the basket and called the foul? Or is that disallowed.

No they cannot.

Refs can only review plays they called, not ones that they missed.

Findog
05-09-2009, 11:11 PM

It's my understanding that they can. Maybe somebody could enlighten me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

j.dizzle
05-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I always say reffing has been the most inconsistent ive seen..One night you can push a little bit without getting a foul & the next night you put your finger on someone & they call it a foul..make up your god damn mind Stern..Their needs to be a ref confernece or some shit to clear these problems up.

endrity
05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
It's my understanding also that they can review and change it in the last two minutes. I might be wrong but I think that this is why they use video review much more this season, as a consequence of the Fisher situation from last year.

endrity
05-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I always say reffing has been the most inconsistent ive seen..One night you can push a little bit without getting a foul & the next night you put your finger on someone & they call it a foul..make up your god damn mind Stern..They're needs to be a ref confernece or some shit to clear these problems up.

This is where the problem starts, the inconsitency in the league right now is maddening.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:19 PM
They should replay it again just like they did with Miami and Atlanta

Shank
05-09-2009, 11:19 PM
They need to do like the NHL does and have the reviews done outside of the building.

sook
05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
If the reffs had any common sense they would have known dallas had a foul to give.

JamStone
05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
From my understanding, they cannot review a missed foul call. They can review whether a shot is a three pointer or two pointer, review plays at the ends of quarters to see whether the shot beat the shot clock/game clock, and review flagrant foul calls. I'm pretty sure they can't review whether they should have called a foul on a play they didn't call a foul.

Wright has a somewhat of a point but it's kind of weak. He didn't have to Derek Fisher him to make sure the foul was called. It's just wrapping your arms around Carmelo. He's not Ron Artest, so he's not going to get that held against him. Just make sure you foul him. And, especially since there was no whistle, you got to make sure Carmelo isn't able to put up a shot even if you felt you fouled him.

The refs fucked up. But, you still gotta play through and leave no doubt.

baseline bum
05-09-2009, 11:22 PM
If Wright had any common sense he'd have fouled with his arms and not body and not thrown his arms up in the air like he's claiming innocence.

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 11:23 PM
If Wright had any common sense he'd have fouled with his arms and not body and not thrown his arms up in the air like he's claiming innocence.

this

endrity
05-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I think he just wanted to make sure he wasn't fouling him during the shot. Yes, Wright could have done a better play, but the refs fucked up.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM

The game should be decided by the play on the court, not whether or not Antoine Wright has any sense. :td

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 11:28 PM
The game should be decided by the play on the court, not whether or not Antoine Wright has any sense. :td

Why then complain about this one call? All calls have an impact on the game. Plenty of times "calls" have decided the outcome of games. Happens to every single team.

Move on.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Why then complain about this one call? All calls have an impact on the game. Plenty of times "calls" have decided the outcome of games. Happens to every single team.

Move on.

Because it was blatantly retarded and is the type of thing that ruins the game for everyone

poop
05-09-2009, 11:30 PM
only thing that pisses me off is how they keep screwing Artest out of games while Rondo did 2 seperate plays each worse than anything Artest has done and he gets nothing. that is complete bullshit

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
only thing that pisses me off is how they keep screwing Artest out of games while Rondo did 2 seperate plays each worse than anything Artest has done and he gets nothing. that is complete bullshit

Not to mention Kobe should have been suspended more than Artest should have been ejected either time.

sook
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
The league should have a seperate set of rules for Rajon Rondo. He can sodomize players on the court and the reffs would would hold the players down for him :lol

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Because it was blatantly retarded and is the type of thing that ruins the game for everyone

I did not see you come to the Spurs defense when CP3 got 3 FT's.

sook
05-09-2009, 11:35 PM
a combined 89 FTs were shot. I'm surprised it wasn't a crew of salvatore/crawford/palmer.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I did not see you come to the Spurs defense when CP3 got 3 FT's.

I wasn't watching that series, the NBA has been pretty much ruined for me the past few years. I like basketball but not this manipulated WWE dictated bullshit

j.dizzle
05-09-2009, 11:37 PM

Stern cant take rondo out of a game haha..They can barely beat teams with him playing..Imagine what would happen if Rondo actually got suspended or kicked out of a game..Celtics would of been fishing already if he missed any time in the Chicago series

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Stern cant take rondo out of a game haha..They can barely beat teams with him playing..Imagine what would happen if Rondo actually got suspended or kicked out of a game..Celtics would of been fishing already if he missed any time in the Chicago series

Kind of fucked up how everyone knows Stern has an agenda.

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Kind of fucked up how everyone knows Stern has an agenda.

That is how the Mavs beat the Spurs.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:40 PM

Any way you want to try to spin it, league agendas are fucking stupid. I'm seriously contemplating never watching this shit again.

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
When Mavs win, NBA is fine. When Mavs lose, NBA has agenda.

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 11:42 PM

Obviously, this was tongue-in-cheek.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
When Mavs win, NBA is fine. When Mavs lose, NBA has agenda.

:lol That's not the case at all. What pisses me off more than anything is this LA/Houston series and the fact that all season we knew it was going to be a Lebron/Kobe finals, and now it's finally happening. Giving Gasol, Fisher, Brown, and Ariza to the Lakers to ensure that they're a major powerhouse was fucking lame.

DPG21920
05-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I am just saying, were you up in arms during the Mavs/Spurs series? Or was the reffing fine in that series and just terrible now?

What did the league do to make the Cavs a powerhouse? Or is it just the Lakers?

sook
05-09-2009, 11:49 PM

you know what I realized? This one interview I remember stern specifically saying he couldn't disclose which team he rooted for. All the stuff the celtics get away with/ Him saying best players were Lebron/Kobe/Pierce/ his accent

all point to the fact he roots for the Cs

Armando
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Yeah that was a tough pill for the Mavs to swallow but they did not lose just on that 1 play. On the Nugget's last offensive possession Carmelo went to the basket for uncontested dunk. That play plus Dirk's miss set up that 3 point shot. I was shocked that Carmelo had such an easy path to the basket.

mavs>spurs2
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I am just saying, were you up in arms during the Mavs/Spurs series? Or was the reffing fine in that series and just terrible now?

What did the league do to make the Cavs a powerhouse? Or is it just the Lakers?

The reffing was bad but overall I don't think it was lopsided for either team besides the foul where Dirk stepped on Duncan's ankle. No fan of basketball wants to see crap like this happen, I know you can't be defending it. I know bad calls sometimes happen, what gets me is this vibe I get that the whole thing is just a big sham.

DrHouse
05-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Maybe us fans should just stop watching the NBA until they decide to do something about the horrible officiating.

I mean if the Tim Donaghy scandal didn't force them to clean up their act you have to wonder what will.

Findog
05-10-2009, 12:07 AM
you know what I realized? This one interview I remember stern specifically saying he couldn't disclose which team he rooted for. All the stuff the celtics get away with/ Him saying best players were Lebron/Kobe/Pierce/ his accent

all point to the fact he roots for the Cs

He's a Knicks fan.

mavs>spurs2
05-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Every fucking year, horrible calls. Mavs robbed, H town sorta robbed, Spurs robbed like an elderly lady in Watts every year.

Sacramento Kings say hi

Armando
05-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Sacramento Kings say hi

Greetings from Phoenix

lefty
05-10-2009, 12:13 AM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2484/fisherman2857e.gif

LakerHater
05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
isn't this the same ref that missed the Fisher foul on Barry!!???

Armando
05-10-2009, 12:19 AM
So does this mean the Mavs get Bavetta for Game 4?

poop
05-10-2009, 12:30 AM

not this year, but in '06 it was.

this year, we made terrible roster choices and were old and injured.

but in '06, the 'agenda' definitely included avoiding a Spurs-pistons rematch; the Mavs lived at the line in their 'victories' over us in that series, i can provide an entire essay on 2006* if you'd like.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 12:32 AM

but in '06, the 'agenda' definitely included avoiding a Spurs-pistons rematch; the Mavs lived at the line in their 'victories' over us in that series, i can provide an entire essay on 2006* if you'd like.

I was not serious, I was making a point.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 12:53 AM

And I can refute every bit of it with basketball reasons why the Spurs lost. It's basically due to smallball, and Pop's anger at Rasho, Nazr and Beno. Aside from Dirk stepping on Duncan's foot, the officiating wasn't that bad. In fact, by rule, if Duncan's foot was outside the width of his shoulders then that was actually a good call.

RonMexico
05-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Mavs win Games 4 and 5 so Cuban can sell out AAC for another playoff gamed. Combined with the fact that he limited his post-game complaints to Twitter means he saves about $250,000 on the fine and gets the sellout $ to keep him happy. Stern gave Phoenix the All-Star game to make up for the suspensions, so this is not out of the question.

Basketballgirl25
05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think Mav fans should complain as much as they are, sure Mav fans have the right to complain, but I have seen so many bad calls in all the playoff games, I'm not suprised about last night. So if your complaining about game 3 of mavs, I hope you complained about the Rondo plays and Artest as well. I know as much as I hate the mavs I thought that was just as dumb as the Rondo plays and Artest as well.