05-10-2009, 03:11 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/files/players/alex-ruoff-hd.jpg

Birthday: 8/29/87
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
School: West Virginia
Ht: 6-6
Wt: 220
Hometown: Spring Hill, FL

He's not likely to be picked in the NBA Draft this year, but I did see one mock draft which had San Antonio taking him with the 53rd pick. He's basically just a spot-up shooter, though, which the Spurs already have enough of.

Still, I'd like to see him drafted by the Spurs because I'm a WVU fan! :D

Bruno
05-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Per Google news, Ruoff will work out with Spurs this Sunday.

benefactor
05-14-2009, 01:34 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alex-Ruoff-5322/

This might not be a bad choice for our last pick if there is not much better on the board. He has good size for a SG and if he is as smart and as good of a ball-handler as DX claims he is then he might be good as a shooter off the bench.

yavozerb
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Is this steve blake's twin brother or what?

DynastyBuilder
05-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Per Google news, Ruoff will work out with Spurs this Sunday.

Great exactly what we need, to look at more jump shooters who have no ability to take the ball to the iron.

:bang

TheProfessor
05-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Yuck. I'd rather take two shots at big men with those latter 2nd rounders, if we're not trading them away.

benefactor
05-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Great exactly what we need, to look at more jump shooters who have no ability to take the ball to the iron.

:bang
We have two guys that can take people off the dribble...their names are Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

Our offense is built by putting shooters around our playmakers. Furthermore, I am not enamored by every guard out there that can take his man to the rim. J.R. Smith can do that and he is a cancer. The things in his DX profile that interest me are things like a good BBIQ, good fundamentals and court vision. A smart player that is limited is far and away better than a well-rounded player that is stupid.

DynastyBuilder
05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
We have two guys that can take people off the dribble...their names are Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

If the way the past two seasons have ended is any indication of my point, which is exactly why we at least another player who can do the same should be added.

I would not be opposed to a big either.

benefactor
05-15-2009, 05:32 AM
If the way the past two seasons have ended is any indication of my point, which is exactly why we at least another player who can do the same should be added.

I would not be opposed to a big either.
The thing is that you are not going to add that type of player with the 53rd pick, and any big you get will probably be worth far less than the prospects we already have(Gist, Mahimni). The kind of players you are looking for will likely be added through free agency.

Late draft picks are for potential role players, not impact players, and TBQH with you I doubt the player we take with our last pick will even make the team. If we pick someone who we think can knock down some shots and make good decisions with the ball at 53 then we take them.

DynastyBuilder
05-15-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm aware it's a tough spot to make the squad and not suggesting that a Manu or Tony-type player will be available that late. But working out more streaky shooters is not what the team needs IMO.

benefactor
05-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm aware it's a tough spot to make the squad and not suggesting that a Manu or Tony-type player will be available that late. But working out more streaky shooters is not what the team needs IMO.
Wow...brilliant assessment of him. I totally got the same impression when reading his profile.

Ruoff has excellent size for the guard position, being capable of playing any of the three perimeter positions at 6-6.

Regardless of how big he actually is, Ruoff spent a great deal of time at the point guard spot for West Virginia, and he showed the ball-handling skills, smarts and court vision to do a solid job there, even if he’s obviously not a natural playmaker.

He has excellent shooting mechanics and is capable of making shots both with his feet set and off the dribble.

If things don’t work out for him, he’ll surely make a very good living in Europe, where his basketball IQ and fundamentals will probably be better appreciated.

:rolleyes

Bruno
05-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Keep in mind that when Spurs works out a player it doesn't mean that they are even remotely interested in drafting him.
They could be interested in him for a SL or training camp invite if the player isn't drafted. Spurs also owned Toros and the player could be available during the D-League draft.

urunobili
05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Keep in mind that when Spurs works out a player it doesn't mean that they are even remotely interested in drafting him.
They could be interested in him for a SL or training camp invite if the player isn't drafted. Spurs also owned Toros and the player could be available during the D-League draft.

Bruno who from the Spurs coaching staff generally conducts the try outs?

Bruno
05-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Bruno who from the Spurs coaching staff generally conducts the try outs?

I don't know.

EricB
05-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I think Budenholzer does, don't hold me to that.

DynastyBuilder
05-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Offensively, Ruoff relies very heavily on his jump-shot as his main source of production—61% of his field goal attempts came from beyond the arc this season, and 68% last year. He has excellent shooting mechanics and is capable of making shots both with his feet set and off the dribble, although his percentages are not what you would call outstanding, at 37%. Part of that probably has to do with his team’s slow pace and the amount of offensive responsibilities he was forced to shoulder, combined with his inability to create his own shot against the elite defenders of the Big East (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alex-Ruoff-5322/#)

I've read the profile and seen him play. He's streaky.

And the profile is wrong he shot 43% from the field, 37% from 3.

http://wvustats.com/mbasketball/

superjames1992
05-16-2009, 02:34 AM

He had a much better year last year. This year, he was the focal point and was locked up from three-point range all the time and didn't get many looks. Last year, Joe Alexander was the star and Ruoff was the second or third option, so he had a lot more open opportunities (He shot 41% from three and 47% overall). That is the main reason for his dropoff. Obviously, for the Spurs he would get more open shots since he is certainly not a star.

He does have some streakiness, though. He hit nine threes in a game earlier this year against Radford, but was scoreless and absolutely terrible offensively against Louisville on Senior Night (and he was the only WVU senior; what a terrible way to go out).

He is a pretty good defender, though, so Pop might like that. He really improved his defense this past year and expanded a few other parts of his game. He backed down some guys last year and drove to the basket a little bit, though I'm not confident that he could do that against NBA-caliber players.

But you could probably get him for pretty cheap and he could basically do the same job that a guy like Michael Finley does, so it wouldn't be a horrible pick IMO.

benefactor
05-16-2009, 08:19 AM

I see you conveniently forgot to bold the part where he was forced to shoulder most of the offensive resposibility. He will get plenty of open looks here. And I see you bolded the "create his own shot" part. Haven't we already been over the fact that we are not picking Manu or Tony at 53?

Whatever. If he is there for the last pick, fine. If not, fine. If he is smart and a good ball handler he will work well within our system. If we don't take him and he goes undrafted(which is likely) then we can bring him into camp for a look.

DynastyBuilder
05-16-2009, 10:03 AM
It's obvious we are of different opinions and that's fine, just because I take a different stand than you doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, nor does it mean the same for you.

He was not forced to shoulder most of the offensive responsibility, he shouldered as much as he did his junior year and was unable to. Look at his numbers, they tell that story as well. Some games he showed up to play others not so much. He mostly thrived against poor teams in college and against everyone else he was extremely streaky. Butler was the star of the WVU team last season, not Ruoff. Also, Ruoff only had three less attempts at 3s in his senior year than his junior. He was simply unable to show up on a consistent basis and be a contributor. I also question his on court IQ, he would force many shots uneccesarily, however he was a pretty good ball handler for his size and decent defender in Huggins' defensive schemes.

Having watched Ruoff for practically his entire career, I'd rather see the team take a gamble somewhere else. If he is a FA and want to invite him to camp fine, but spending a pick on him is fruitless IMHO.

benefactor
05-16-2009, 01:03 PM
It's obvious we are of different opinions and that's fine, just because I take a different stand than you doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, nor does it mean the same for you.

He was not forced to shoulder most of the offensive responsibility, he shouldered as much as he did his junior year and was unable to. Look at his numbers, they tell that story as well. Some games he showed up to play others not so much. He mostly thrived against poor teams in college and against everyone else he was extremely streaky. Butler was the star of the WVU team last season, not Ruoff. Also, Ruoff only had three less attempts at 3s in his senior year than his junior. He was simply unable to show up on a consistent basis and be a contributor. I also question his on court IQ, he would force many shots uneccesarily, however he was a pretty good ball handler for his size and decent defender in Huggins' defensive schemes.

Having watched Ruoff for practically his entire career, I'd rather see the team take a gamble somewhere else. If he is a FA and want to invite him to camp fine, but spending a pick on him is fruitless IMHO.
Hmm...why didn't you offer this information from the outset? Offering it now just makes me think you are lying to win an argument on the internets about a player who is our last pick in the draft and likely camp fodder. Whatever makes you feel good man. I'll take DX's word for it. :tu

DynastyBuilder
05-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Bene I'm not here to argue but it appears you are, that's fine whatever. Next time I'll start my posts with hi my name is DynastyBuilder and I've seen all these players play if that makes you feel better. I made my point, said I've watched him play as I pointed out in the last two posts. I don't come here to flame, troll and watch my post count go up. If I have something to contribute I usually do.

benefactor
05-16-2009, 05:36 PM
But you didn't contribute anything. You came on the thread and said, "Great exactly what we need, to look at more jump shooters who have no ability to take the ball to the iron," when his DX profile actually had a lot more positives. If you have some insight about a player, that insight would be better received if you would add the fact that you had been watching him already in your initial opinion, instead of sounding like another "feed me now" Spurs fan that wants us to draft Lebron James in the second round.

Maybe you have seen him...and maybe you haven't. But when you spend 4 posts saying that you don't want him for various reasons that don't line up with opinion pieces that are written up by people who are paid to write them, then come in at the end of your last post and say you've "watched practically his entire career" after citing a bunch of stats that could have been looked up by anyone wanting to waste the time doing it, it carries very little credibility.

Just calling it like I see it.

DynastyBuilder
05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Call it however you want. I'm not looking for credibility or worried about how my insight is received. I stated my opinion from the beginning from my knowledge of his play and stand by that.