PDA

View Full Version : Can Yao earn your respect?

Rapper
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm not a Yao fan although i'm a chinese

I just wanna ask for your opinions,well honestly, Yao is by far one of the best offensive centers in NBA just sucks at stamina

Some Yao haters said Yao is not NBA matereial, do you agree?

If my memory serves me well, Yao played very well in the game 1 against the Lakers, he got hurt in the 4 quarter and then was sent to the lobby but he insisted to play so that he had returned to the court after several minutes

At that time, did he earn your respect?

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Dude is a monster....already had my respect..now he has my admiration. But it wasn't because of the knee..although that was cool too..dude just bumped knees with someone. It was when he broke his foot and didn't want to walk off the court. He's a warrior...I wish he was a Spur..Yao and Duncan would be untouchable.

VI_Massive
05-10-2009, 01:02 PM
He had my respect before then but his toughness in this series has made me a legit Yao fan.

That and his great sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-f7a-v_mc

1:18 mark.

I think he's an example of everything that's great about basketball and the NBA.

dirk4mvp
05-10-2009, 01:06 PM
No. No one 7'6" should ever miss a wide open dunk, and he missed 2 of them and let Pau stuff his shit on another dunk attempt in game 3.

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 01:09 PM
No. No one 7'6" should ever miss a wide open dunk, and he missed 2 of them and let Pau stuff his shit on another dunk attempt in game 3.
Aww...come on Dirk...I respect your basketball appreciation..you have to appreciate the guy's heart...not wanting to walk off the court..his ability to hit the clutch shots..sure, when he jumps you can't get a piece of paper under his foot, but Timmy can't jump either, and he's the best PF ever.

dirk4mvp
05-10-2009, 01:11 PM
He had Pau Gasol guarding him, the one guy Yao is tougher and more physical than. He should've been abusing him.

Rapper
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Dude is a monster....already had my respect..now he has my admiration. But it wasn't because of the knee..although that was cool too..dude just bumped knees with someone. It was when he broke his foot and didn't want to walk off the court. He's a warrior...I wish he was a Spur..Yao and Duncan would be untouchable.

Well said

Dude you know what? actually there are a big amount of Yao haters in China just like those in the states, they always blame and complain on Yao without a good reason, man it really doesn't make sense, i mean what can you expect to a 7 foot 6 dude? a dunker? or a player like Lebron?

What i want to say is that obsiously Yao is not the best player in NBA but at least he has been giving his great effort to the Rockets since he was selected by the Rox in 2002, so in this regard, i hope Yao can earn your respect, not for Chinese, just for a real warrior

Jacob1983
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Yao got the Rockets to the 2nd round. TMAC never did that.

Rapper
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Yao got the Rockets to the 2nd round. TMAC never did that.

This is the other point that yao deserves your respect

pauls931
05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
He has my respect, but my one thing with his is being soft around the rim. He missed a couple dunks and got blocked when he should be using two hands and trying to tear the rim down. It's his style, but I think he should be able to do more close to the hoop rather than finess type shots.

Indazone
05-10-2009, 01:30 PM
They need to work him hard on his vertical jump.

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
They need to work him hard on his vertical jump.
Yeah..but tall guys like that always have problems with their vertical..they're height is just too awkward..makes it real hard to have a higher leap.

Rapper
05-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Change the subject

How many of you are waiting for game 4?

And do you guys think that the Rockets still have a chance to beat LA?

pauls931
05-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Change the subject

How many of you are waiting for game 4?

And do you guys think that the Rockets still have a chance to beat LA?

The only way I see it happening is for LA to have one of their overconfidence lapses like they occasionaly do in the regular season where they just expect the competition to roll over and die.

Indazone
05-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Hope to see Brent Barry out there. Good times!

La Peace
05-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I respect and appreciate what Yao brings to the table. Some of these guys try to throw other labels on him wanting him to dunk on people, be another player and what not. It doesnt make sense, it is what it is, just because reality doesnt match what you have preset for him in your mind doesn't make him any less valuable.

J_Paco
05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I know you've changed subjects, but Yao has definitely earned all of my respect. Playing two or three quarters with a hairline fracture in his foot, sadly the same left foot injured last season, dude doesn't care about the pain. I just hope there is away to aid Yao with these constant foot and knee injuries, so that he can play at his full potential. :tu:tu:depressed:depressed

Spursfan092120
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't care what label you put on the guy...anyone who averages 19.7 points, and 9.9 rebounds a game, essentially a double double, and wants to play, even after he breaks his foot, is a freaking warrior to me. I'd LOVE him on my team.

Summers
05-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I've always respected Yao as a good guy. I've always thought he could be better than he is. When he first started playing, I remember the coaches saying they had to explain to him it's not rude to dunk in the NBA and if he didn't he'd get blocked. So for me maybe that's where that perception comes from, that he's never been as tough as he could be. I feel badly for him that he's always injured.

sonic21
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
it doesn't matter that he's injured, the Rockets never passed it to him anyway.
Seriously though ive got alot of respect for yao, hes a class act, a nice guy and a true competitor.
it's sad but due to injuries, Yao may never accomplish and really show what he is capable of... He is a great center he has a lot to prove and injuries are keeping him away from that...

iggypop123
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
yao is a good guy but that stunt he pulled in game 1 destroyed his reputation. he bumped knees which happens all the time and guys come back 1 min later. he pulled the old pierce my career is over and now im fine

Rogue
05-11-2009, 05:44 AM
I'm not a Yao fan although i'm a chinese

I just wanna ask for your opinions,well honestly, Yao is by far one of the best offensive centers in NBA just sucks at stamina

Some Yao haters said Yao is not NBA matereial, do you agree?

If my memory serves me well, Yao played very well in the game 1 against the Lakers, he got hurt in the 4 quarter and then was sent to the lobby but he insisted to play so that he had returned to the court after several minutes

At that time, did he earn your respect?
en los competencias contra Lakers, 1-2 con Yao pero 1-0 no Yao. 100% latidos 33.33%, tan Yao es simplente un grande pedazo de mierda. Usted un pedazo de mierda tambien, carajo tu Rapper, y tu 1,000 madres tambien. usted es un hijo de 1,000 perras, con dos y cuatro de tu 95 esposas era tambien perras.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-11-2009, 06:07 AM

I laughed at him during those misses on game 3...But after he went out injured at the end of the 4th, looking back I think he probably was masking his leg pains. He missed too many times for him to not be hurt, even for Yao. Maybe one dunk is expected.

Anyway overall I respect Yao as an NBA player, and he is one of the best centers, if not a coveted one.
I pick on him for his weaknesses, but the guy is hard not to like as for as a sportsman goes.
He's a nice dude, and he does have some admirable talents. (His shooting touch, his quiet competitiveness)
It sucks that he's injury prone but I guess that's the trade off for being 7'6....

The dude came in the league as a meek guy, but I like how he's acclimated and adjusted to being in the NBA.

Brazil
05-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I respect and appreciate what Yao brings to the table. Some of these guys try to throw other labels on him wanting him to dunk on people, be another player and what not. It doesnt make sense, it is what it is, just because reality doesnt match what you have preset for him in your mind doesn't make him any less valuable.

what he said

Chieflion
05-11-2009, 08:10 AM
I've always respected Yao as a good guy. I've always thought he could be better than he is. When he first started playing, I remember the coaches saying they had to explain to him it's not rude to dunk in the NBA and if he didn't he'd get blocked. So for me maybe that's where that perception comes from, that he's never been as tough as he could be. I feel badly for him that he's always injured.
Yep. The Chinese players don't like getting dunked on. The entire league hated dunking and thought it was rude. 40 years back.

robbie380
05-11-2009, 08:50 AM
yao is a good guy but that stunt he pulled in game 1 destroyed his reputation. he bumped knees which happens all the time and guys come back 1 min later. he pulled the old pierce my career is over and now im fine

rofl the stunt....yeah yao is all about pulling stunts and being the center of drama.