PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Rockets respond to being without Yao...

TDfan2007
05-10-2009, 06:15 PM
was inspiring, but also made me wonder where the hell this fight and fire was in the Spurs this postseason. Seriously, wtf? I got so mad watching a ridiculously depleted Houston team scrap and fight its way to a win against the Lakers while the Spurs put forth garbage games in 3 out of 5 contests. Game 5 was especially disappointing since our backs were against the wall and we responded by falling behind by 16 points in the 2nd half and having everyone but Tim play like scared chickens in the 2nd half.

signed,
Still bitter about an early playoff exit Spurs fan (just being honest)

sonic21
05-10-2009, 06:19 PM
well the lakers don't play D, it helps

DMX7
05-10-2009, 06:19 PM
It was just one game and they were able to play quicker without him.

Spurs_9_20_21
05-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm curious, who do want to win, Rockets or Fakers, I want neither but I HAVE to choose Rockets....then I hope they lose the next round. I know this is a stupid question to ask, but I had to ask. I want either Nuggets or Cavs to win it all though.

TDfan2007
05-10-2009, 06:33 PM
well the lakers don't play D, it helps

And the Mavs do?

mytespurs
05-10-2009, 06:37 PM
was inspiring, but also made me wonder where the hell this fight and fire was in the Spurs this postseason. Seriously, wtf? I got so mad watching a ridiculously depleted Houston team scrap and fight its way to a win against the Lakers while the Spurs put forth garbage games in 3 out of 5 contests. Game 5 was especially disappointing since our backs were against the wall and we responded by falling behind by 16 points in the 2nd half and having everyone but Tim play like scared chickens in the 2nd half.

signed,
Still bitter about an early playoff exit Spurs fan (just being honest)

Because...the Spurs have mediocore role players?

Yuixafun
05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Barkley said it a few nights ago on TNT, how the Rockets signed players around Yao that are Pittbulls. Artest, Scola, Landry, Lowry, Battier, etc..

Our kennel is comprised of meeker breeds, outside of the big 3.

J.T.
05-10-2009, 06:55 PM
This team had plenty of heart, it's just that it sat on the bench wearing street clothes watching Michael Finley and Matt Bonner play their last five games in silver and black.

TimDunkem
05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Barkley said it a few nights ago on TNT, how the Rockets signed players around Yao that are Pittbulls. Artest, Scola, Landry, Lowry, Battier, etc..

Exactly. Some of the players on the Spurs squad this year just didn't have the heart to compete for a whole game several times over. It was a two man show the whole way through.

Capt Bringdown
05-10-2009, 07:12 PM
After luckily avoiding Dallas and sweeping Cleveland in' 07, Spurs thought they could put anyone on the floor with the big 3 and still contend for the title. It's as if they never factored in the effects of age, and have now essentially fallen off a cliff in terms of being a real contender.

mytespurs
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
After luckily avoiding Dallas and sweeping Cleveland in' 07, Spurs thought they could put anyone on the floor with the big 3 and still contend for the title. It's as if they never factored in the effects of age, and have now essentially fallen off a cliff in terms of being a real contender.

Perhaps.....but the Spurs weren't going to be on top forever....it was going to end. I think the Spurs can still contend so long as the big 3 can stay healthy however they need to start building towards the future....get some quality role players and prepare for the post Duncan/Ginobili and Popovich era.

Capt Bringdown
05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I never expected the Spurs to be on top forever, that's a bit obvious, no? However, there was a rare opportunity to extend our title run, and we blew it.

rayray2k8
05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
It's simple, we had bonner.

Yuushi12
05-10-2009, 07:25 PM
because...the spurs have mediocore role players?

+1

benefactor
05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah...this isn't rocket science. If you take away Bonner, Finley and Udoka and add Scola, Battier and Landry we probably beat the Mavs in 6.

ducks
05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah they had a coach who did not say they had no chance without one of their key players

raspsa
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Of all the teams, the Rockets play best without their franchise player(s). Its almost as if the team has resigned itselft to losing either McGrady or Yapo or both so they've prepeared themselves to compete whenever it actually happens.. kudos to them.

completely deck
05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Well, the spurs did it with the one win we got. That's about all you can expect out of the Rockets too. Book it.

Bryant went 7-17 with 15 pts, and Shane "The Bleeder" Battier went for 23. Ain't gonna happen again, I assure you.

BackHome
05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
The thing that pisses me off is watching Scola fight for rebounds hit the open shots and just plain leaving it on the court!

45 bank shot
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM
well u can just STFU.
Timmay, TP and G-hill played heart out but the rest of the team just didn't click
plus coach p's terrible coaching

Biggems
05-10-2009, 09:09 PM
The Spurs didnt quit or give up in the series........they just couldnt make shots when it mattered and they didnt cover the 3 like they used to.

Biernutz
05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
In the Yao years. I heard on a morning show that Houston is 8-16 vs. Lakers when Yao is in the line up. When he's not in, today's win makes it 4-0.

ElNono
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
yeah they had a coach who did not say they had no chance without one of their key players

It goes beyond what the coach says. Adelman didn't need to say anything for everyone to know they're severely undermanned, and if they would have lost it was probably what everyone expected.

The reality is that nobody in our team stepped up outside the usual suspects. The good news is that the coach and FO should be fully aware of this now, and we all expect them to react accordingly in the offseason.

mytespurs
05-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I never expected the Spurs to be on top forever, that's a bit obvious, no? However, there was a rare opportunity to extend our title run, and we blew it.

Yes, but it's worth repeating :)......I still think this current group has at least one more title in them if and that's a big IF everything falls into place.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 09:49 PM
This was, by far, the most gutless Spurs team in a long time. They got blown out by so many good teams in the second half of nationally televised games this season, there was an aura of "quit" around them way before Manu got hurt, which was just the final nail in the coffin. Frankly I'm happy they managed to put one good effort together before getting eliminated.

Horry For 3!
05-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I think if Lakers do pull past the Rockets, the Nuggets will beat them.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
I think if Lakers do pull past the Rockets, the Nuggets will beat them.

This could end up working in LA's favor again. If Denver knocks out Dallas in four games, they're going to be waiting a long time for LA and Houston to wrap up. There's nothing worse for a team that's playing in a groove than a long layoff.

tomtom
05-10-2009, 10:26 PM
maybe cause they have superior talent in their benches? seriously now, they might not be the most consistent guys but a bunch of them can light up any given night while the spurs role players are simply spot up jump shooters

ElNono
05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
And to be honest, I don't think we can just get by with the Big 3 anymore either. If you think about it, we always had a great contributor along the ride. A guy like Horry in '05 and even '07 was very important. In '03 we had Manu, SJax and TP playing the third wheel behind TD and DRob.
We really need to make some moves over the summer if we want to have a realistic chance of contending next season.

ploto
05-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Luis Scola with 14 rebounds but Spurs would rather sign Bonner.

NRHector
05-10-2009, 11:12 PM

Our kennel is comprised of meeker breeds, outside of the big 3.Rockets bench have pitbulls the Spurs bench, with the exception of a few, had chihuahuas

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 11:17 PM
maybe cause they have superior talent in their benches? seriously now, they might not be the most consistent guys but a bunch of them can light up any given night while the spurs role players are simply spot up jump shooters

See this is the annoying argument. This has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with effort.

The Spurs as a team (meaning some guys showed heart, but most did not) did not play with pride. They did not play playoff basketball.

Fully healthy Lakers vs depleted Rockets is a bigger talent disparity than a Manu-less Spurs vs Mavs. It was clear when you watched the games the Spurs played at no where near the level of the playoff teams remaining. They did not even show up when it mattered.

It was disappointing but with old age comes performances like that. Spurs can get better and they have to if they want to compete while Duncan is a Spur.

SouthTexasRancher
05-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Because...the Spurs have mediocore role players?

Hopefully that changes real soon!!!

SouthTexasRancher
05-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Rockets bench have pitbulls the Spurs bench, with the exception of a few, had chihuahuas

Would that be real Chihuahuas or were they actually just stuffed Chihuahuas! :lol I'm ready to get some Pitbulls back on our team.

tmtcsc
05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Pretty simple really. The Rockets have a better team than us and play harder than we do.
Next year is a new year and hopefully we can bring in some guys who have as strong a desire to compete.

itzsoweezee
05-10-2009, 11:55 PM
they had better coaching

superbigtime
05-11-2009, 12:02 AM
This was, by far, the most gutless Spurs team in a long time. They got blown out by so many good teams in the second half of nationally televised games this season, there was an aura of "quit" around them way before Manu got hurt, which was just the final nail in the coffin. Frankly I'm happy they managed to put one good effort together before getting eliminated.

Spurs overachieved this year by winning the Division. But the play for the last third of the season was the most painful Spurs basketball to watch and to attend.

symple19
05-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I hate the rockets, but it's great to see them beat the Lakers. I'm convinced now that LA has no chance for a title, or even making it to the finals.Bynum, who was the "missing link", has been non-existent. I don't even think Barkley will find him under the TNT studio desk. Kobe will never win a title w/o a legit big-man like Shaq, which means he's won all the titles he's going to already. Lakes still win series, but doomed against Birdman & Co.

As for the Spurs, their failures down the stretch had everything to do with shoddy team defense, and not defending the perimeter. Pop has got to get them back to being a defense/rebounding first type of team. When you have that, it's easy for role players to step in and have an impact because they know the D will keep them in the game, instead of role players coming in the game and thinking, "I need to score".

THE SPURS WILL BE BACK - COUNT ON IT

As for the Spurs

05-11-2009, 01:11 AM
boston and houston's refusal to give up leads me to question the spurs' mentality. i have to admit i am pretty impressed with these two teams playing so well without key players. boston not only lost garnett but also powe. the rockets lost tmac, mutombo, and yao and still manages to push the lakers to the brink. watching these two teams causes me to believe a major purging of the roster is needed. sometimes having a lot of young players means they don't know they're supposed to lose. the spurs, full of veterans, knew they had no chance without ginobili so they accepted their fate.

Capt Bringdown
05-11-2009, 03:14 AM
This was, by far, the most gutless Spurs team in a long time. They got blown out by so many good teams in the second half of nationally televised games this season, there was an aura of "quit" around them way before Manu got hurt, which was just the final nail in the coffin.

Agreed, and I think a page has to turned on the Spurs style of play. Basketball needn't be so dispassionate and frankly boring.

dav4463
05-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Win or lose against LA, the Rockets have more heart than any team in the NBA. The fans should be proud of them. How many teams could get this far losing their two best players?

Riverwalkman
05-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Rockets have a solid frontline, Scola is an all-round and tough player , Hayes is tough(better than Kurt Thomas), Landry is explosive, Battier and Ron are solid defenders.This make them solid in D, allowing opponents scoring under 90 pts.

While Lakers' frontline Gasol&Odom are soft. IF Kobe scores 15 pts,they all sucks.

In term of Guard position, Rockets' Brooks is fast and Lawry is strong, while Lakers are weak coz Fisher is old and Farmar is lack of experience.

And I think without Yao Ming, Rockets Played harder,while Lakers underestimated them.

Extra Stout
05-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Would any Spur outside the Big 3 be in Houston's rotation?

Roger Mason might get Von Wafer's minutes. That's it.

Brazil
05-11-2009, 07:46 AM
^^ I'm sure w/o Yao rockets could use KT or Gooden :)

BackHome
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I think it boils down to three things we don't have the talent, we don't have the heart and we got out coached.

Talent:
We have players who are talented but are strictly one dimensional Mason and Bonner they both can only do one thing spot up shooting. It is easy for players to take them out of the game ie...they should not be starters.

Heart:
Manu is the heart of this team and besides Duncan no one comes close to being as competative as him. Tony is competative but to me the differnce is with Tony it's "I have to score more then the other teams star" VS Manu "I just want to win"

Coaching:
I don't care how good our defense is our offense was just plain terrible. I am so tired of seeing players just stand their waiting for the ball that never comes. Also young players play scarred they know if the mess up they will be yanked.....That has to change......

tmtcsc
05-11-2009, 09:23 AM
How Kurt Thomas got a free pass from criticism this year is way beyond me. He was a bigger disappointment than Bonner. I never expected much from Bonner to begin with so you can actually say that his 3 pt shooting during the regular season was a nice surprise.

KT, on the other hand. I really expected him to have a good year with us but he just never contributed as much. He was just OK and we needed more from him.

What a sorry year for the team. You can count the good games we played on 1 hand.

Beating Lakers
Beating the Hornets at Home (both games)
Beating Boston on the road
Beating Atlanta on the road (when Atlanta had been playing really well)

Am I missing one ? I didn't count any of the Suns games because the Suns suck and I didn't count the Houston games we won either. I felt we should have won those games and anything less would have been a let down.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Agreed, and I think a page has to turned on the Spurs style of play. Basketball needn't be so dispassionate and frankly boring.

The Spurs' style wasn't considered "boring" because the team didn't play with passion, it was considered "boring" because the scores were in the 70s and 80s. There's not a championship run this team made that was done dispassionately. There are a number of playoff failures that were, though.

dbestpro
05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
How Kurt Thomas got a free pass from criticism this year is way beyond me. He was a bigger disappointment than Bonner. I never expected much from Bonner to begin with so you can actually say that his 3 pt shooting during the regular season was a nice surprise.

KT, on the other hand. I really expected him to have a good year with us but he just never contributed as much. He was just OK and we needed more from him.

Agreed for the simple fact he got paid 4.2 mil and did not deliver to that sum. That is why I'm not so hard on Udoka who got just 1.08 mil.

Caltex2
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Kenny Smith said it a few nights ago on TNT, how the Rockets signed players around Yao that are Pittbulls. Artest, Scola, Landry, Lowry, Battier, etc..

Fixed.

Jace
05-12-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure how much had to do with lack of spirit and how much had to do with lack of talent. The Rockets still had two great defenders and the supporting cast is certainly superior in talent

Obstructed_View
05-12-2009, 01:07 AM
So a team with two of the top three point shooters in the regular season just suddenly lost all their talent? Give me a break. Thanks to Pop the Spurs were halfway to Cancun before the playoffs even started, and shriveled completely up once they faced the mighty Mavericks. They didn't give any effort on either side of the ball, and were out of position much of the time as a result.

Jace
05-12-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm not saying they gave a great effort but at the same time in the playoffs the defensive intensity ratchets up and Bonnar/Mason didn't have the same looks they got during the regular season Mason hit about the same percentage of threes in the playoffs as he did in the regular season against the Mavs..roughly 36% Bonnar dropped his average from 37% to 23% but I think a lot of that has to be credit towards the Mavs improving their defensive effort It isn't fair to assume a guys decreased performance in the playoffs is a result of a lack of effort or a lack of desire..Derek Fisher shot 40% in the regular season and is shooting 12% against the Rockets.. He isn't afraid of the Playoffs, he isn't playing without effort but he is shooting awful

Obstructed_View
05-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Spurs bigs couldn't defend or grab a rebound. Spurs swingmen couldn't hit a shot, grab a rebound or keep anyone in front of them. They actually played hard for one game, and it's no coincidence that they won that game handily IMHO.

Jace
05-12-2009, 02:26 AM
I disagree, one big game means little. Perhaps in that game the difference wasn't the Spurs showing up it was the Mavericks forgetting to do so

Obstructed_View
05-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I disagree, one big game means little. Perhaps in that game the difference wasn't the Spurs showing up it was the Mavericks forgetting to do so

I'd actually be more inclined to believe that. Regardless, even if you give them the benefit of the doubt, they weren't able to do it more than once, and that spells gutless.

1Parker1
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM

:tu Basically in a nutshell. Not only meeker breeds, but very old breeds that are probably past their end date.

1Parker1
05-12-2009, 11:14 AM

What a sorry year for the team. You can count the good games we played on 1 hand.

Beating Lakers
Beating the Hornets at Home (both games)
Beating Boston on the road
Beating Atlanta on the road (when Atlanta had been playing really well)

Am I missing one ? I didn't count any of the Suns games because the Suns suck and I didn't count the Houston games we won either. I felt we should have won those games and anything less would have been a let down.

All those important games you site have one common theme...Tony Parker basically had to play at an incredibly high, super-star level to get those wins. The Lakers win, Spurs got lucky with a buzzer beater by Mason Jr. But all those other games, it was basically Parker carrying the Spurs. The regular season and the 3rd seed was very misleading...Spurs played very badly in the 2nd half of the season and basically Parker willed them to that 3rd seed.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I would kill for the Spurs to have a team of pitbulls around Tim, Tony, and Manu.

DaDakota
05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
You guys have 4 rings.....

I just want some fricken HEALTH !

DD