PDA

View Full Version : Death threats against Michael Schiavo

samikeyp
03-25-2005, 03:14 PM
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35145

Chased by death threats

Michael Schiavo temporarily has moved from his Clearwater, Fla., home after receiving death threats, the Associated Press reported.

His attorney, George Felos, said the threats, via phone, mail and e-mail, have been reported to authorities, and Schiavo has been moved to a safe house.

Pro-life?

exstatic
03-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Exactly, Mikey.

NeoConIV
03-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Dude, please.

exstatic
03-25-2005, 06:56 PM
What? Dare point out that so called Pro-Life people are so riled up that they are now threatening a life? How dare we...

NeoConIV
03-25-2005, 07:01 PM
*blurts out laughing*

Sorry.

Opinionater
03-25-2005, 09:21 PM
IMHO, this is what makes this argument so ridiculous. I heard about some guy who was trying to buy a gun so that he could save her. That's like Bush saying he stepped in because you should always side with "life" yet life is taken in Iraq everyday.

Drachen
03-25-2005, 09:32 PM
IMHO, this is what makes this argument so ridiculous. I heard about some guy who was trying to buy a gun so that he could save her. That's like Bush saying he stepped in because you should always side with "life" yet life is taken in Iraq everyday.

Sorry man but you were really really reaching to tie this in with Iraq. Maybe just stick with the subject at hand.

Spurminator
03-25-2005, 11:10 PM
The very fact that we can legitimately link opinions about this case with political/social ideology is part of why this soap opera is such a beating.

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Amen Spurminator, Amen

Nbadan
03-26-2005, 04:27 AM
This whole Schiavo incident is getting out of hand...

Hours after a judge ordered that Terri Schiavo was not to be removed from her hospice, a team of state agents were en route to seize her and have her feeding tube reinserted -- but they stopped short when local police told them they would enforce the judge's order, The Herald has learned.

Agents of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement told police in Pinellas Park, the small town where Schiavo lies at Hospice Woodside, on Thursday that they were on the way to take her to a hospital to resume her feeding.

For a brief period, local police, who have officers at the hospice to keep protesters out, prepared for what sources called ``a showdown.''

In the end, the squad from the FDLE and the Department of Children & Families backed down, apparently concerned about confronting local police outside the hospice.

''We told them that unless they had the judge with them when they came, they were not going to get in,'' said a source with the local police.

more…Miami.com (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11233240.htm)

Now Jeb can say, "Hey, I tried"!

Nbadan
03-26-2005, 04:56 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050325/capt.cho10603251929.brain_damaged_woman_cho106.jpg

Fri Mar 25, 2:32 PM ET
Pinellas County Sheriff's deputies, and Pinellas Park, Fla., police officers arrest 10-year-old Joshua Heldreth, of Charlotte, N.C., for trespassing on Woodside Hospice property in Pinellas park, Fla. Heldreth was attempting to bring Terri Schiavo a glass
of water. Schiavo's feeding tube was removed by court order Friday, March 18, 2005. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050325/capt.flev10303251932.brain_damaged_woman_flev103.j pg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050325/i/r1944945718.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050325/capt.sge.bem01.250305193634.photo01.photo.default-274x373.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050325/capt.flsc10503251910.brain_damaged_woman_flsc105.j pg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050325/capt.flev10203251903.brain_damaged_woman_flev102.j pg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050324/capt.cho11603242110.brain_damaged_woman_cho116.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050325/i/r3401999676.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050325/i/r2728290502.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050325/capt.flev10903252202.brain_damaged_woman_flev109.j pg

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2005/03/25/image683168x.jpg

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 08:36 AM
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35145

Pro-life?
While I don't advocate the threats, it is a natural response to be angry at someone so intent on ending the life of a helpless human being.

I would probably have threatened Jeffrey Dahmer's life if his butchering and consumption of young boys had been sanctioned and protected by the courts with the power of the police.

xcoriate
03-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Pro-life?

:lmao :lmao

This is crazy. I'm completely with the husband.

Quality of life people, quality of life.

NeoConIV
03-26-2005, 09:23 AM
:lmao :lmao

This is crazy. I'm completely with the husband.

Quality of life people, quality of life.
Um, ok there Adolf. Thanks for stepping up to the plate to be the one who determines the minimum acceptable standards of 'quality of life'.

All you currently on feeding tubes, you've been warned!

Don't be an idiot xcoriate. No one can determine quality of life for someone else. Especially someone like that shitbag ex-husband, are you fucking kidding me?

NeoConIV
03-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Let me tell you something else. You can be sure Frankenmichael is looking out for his quality of life. It's all about lookin out for #1 for that rat bastard. Terri can't push up daisies fast enough for that monster.

Blind blind blind fucking justice.

See you guys later, I gotta go take big michael schiavo.

JoeChalupa
03-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Um, ok there Adolf. Thanks for stepping up to the plate to be the one who determines the minimum acceptable standards of 'quality of life'.

All you currently on feeding tubes, you've been warned!

Don't be an idiot xcoriate. No one can determine quality of life for someone else. Especially someone like that shitbag ex-husband, are you fucking kidding me?

Isn't Bush determining the quality of life for the people of Iraq?

samikeyp
03-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Then why are her parents trying to do that?

Oh and he is still her husband....your statement is incorrect.

samikeyp
03-26-2005, 10:47 AM
I find it ironic that some people who claim to be pro-life advocate the death penalty, war and killing people when it suits their causes.

exstatic
03-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I find it ironic that some people who claim to be pro-life advocate the death penalty, war and killing people when it suits their causes.

The only true "pro-lifers" are hard core Buddhist monks, Mikey. They won't kill anything that is alive, not even an insect. They are consistant across the board. Everyone else is selling something or pushing an agenda with their situational "morality".

samikeyp
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Very true.

Hook Dem
03-26-2005, 11:24 AM
"Everyone else is selling something or pushing an agenda with their situational "morality"."..................................And that includes most of the posters on this board! ( even you Ex).

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, unless Ex considers himself a Budhist monk, thats what he said.

exstatic
03-26-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm not a Buddhist monk. :lol

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Isn't Bush determining the quality of life for the people of Iraq?
Yes, and for the better. Actually, it appears the Iraqis are now determining their own quality of life thanks to the coalition of the willing, led by President Bush.

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 12:45 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

GoldToe
03-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Yes, and for the better. Actually, it appears the Iraqis are now determining their own quality of life thanks to the coalition of the willing, led by President Bush.

:rolleyes

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Innocence vs. irreparable human scum in the case of the death penalty.

Greater good and world stability in the case of war. Let me pose a couple of questions:

Should any war in which "collateral damage" cannot be prevented be fought? Shouldn't the argument be over the legitimacy of the war and not the harsh realities of any war?

You're welcome. I'm betting you voted for the "nuanced" candidate, no?

Seriously, given you think it is ironic...wouldn't it be equally ironic that some oppose the death penalty but find nothing wrong with abortion or euthenasia. That some are willing to exhaust the courts (and, in the process, the rest of us) to insure a admitted, confessed, and guilty murderer, sentenced to die, can remain on the state "life support" for more than 20 years while we dicker over whether or not his jury was properly instructed? And, that these same people are willing to block factual information being provided to those contemplating abortion?

At least my position would save innocent life. How many condemned murderers have had their death sentences commuted to life and then, on a quirk in the law, been released to kill again? I know of a widower in Waco, who lost his pregnant wife in the 90's, who would have given anything if the death penalty had been carried out as it had been prescribed for a certain murderer convicted and sentenced to die for killing three teenagers in the 60's.

Sorry, I believe your position is more ironic than mine.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 01:02 PM
:rolleyes
I take it you disagree?

Are the Iraqis now worse off than when they were ruled by Saddam Hussein?

desflood
03-26-2005, 01:56 PM
no

Drachen
03-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Innocence vs. irreparable human scum in the case of the death penalty.

Greater good and world stability in the case of war. Let me pose a couple of questions:

Should any war in which "collateral damage" cannot be prevented be fought? Shouldn't the argument be over the legitimacy of the war and not the harsh realities of any war?

Well if the liberation of people under tyrannical scum is a reason for a legitimate war, then there were surely better examples than Iraq.

Seriously, given you think it is ironic...wouldn't it be equally ironic that some oppose the death penalty but find nothing wrong with abortion or euthenasia. That some are willing to exhaust the courts (and, in the process, the rest of us) to insure a admitted, confessed, and guilty murderer, sentenced to die, can remain on the state "life support" for more than 20 years while we dicker over whether or not his jury was properly instructed? And, that these same people are willing to block factual information being provided to those contemplating abortion?

At least my position would save innocent life. How many condemned murderers have had their death sentences commuted to life and then, on a quirk in the law, been released to kill again? I know of a widower in Waco, who lost his pregnant wife in the 90's, who would have given anything if the death penalty had been carried out as it had been prescribed for a certain murderer convicted and sentenced to die for killing three teenagers in the 60's.

My anti-death penalty position will also save innocent life. How many innocent men and women have NOT had their death sentences commuted only to pay for crimes they didnt commit. I really dont find anything ironic about either situation because they are different. The ONLY thing I find ironic about this case is that I am willing to let courts decide the matter for terry, but not for death penalty candidates. (and for those on the opposite side the opposite is ironic). The only reason I stand on the side that I do, is that Mr. Schaivo has no motivation that I can see to have her dead (other than her wishes). He has, in fact, huge motivation to keep her alive (all the money offered to him). Although, as Manny has pointed out, its not up to him anymore. Also whoever brought up the book deal and the crappy network movie: This would have never gotten that far if it wasnt for the parents, jeb and george bush, and the Congress.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Well if the liberation of people under tyrannical scum is a reason for a legitimate war, then there were surely better examples than Iraq.
None that served our national security interest or global security interests so well though. And, the rest of the totalitarian regimes in the middle east are on notice...plus we have a base of operation from which to operate militarily in the region now.

My anti-death penalty position will also save innocent life. How many innocent men and women have NOT had their death sentences commuted only to pay for crimes they didnt commit.
Not nearly as many as have been aborted and unplugged.

...that I can see...
'nough said.

Drachen
03-26-2005, 09:32 PM
None that served our national security interest or global security interests so well though. And, the rest of the totalitarian regimes in the middle east are on notice...plus we have a base of operation from which to operate militarily in the region now.

Not nearly as many as have been aborted and unplugged.

'nough said.

Well what sways your opinion in this case that the courts have decided wrong as opposed to in a death penalty case?

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I have to want to kill somebody in the news; it's the only I can hear myself on the radio.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Well what sways your opinion in this case that the courts have decided wrong as opposed to in a death penalty case?
That Mrs. Schiavo has absolutely no say in her disposition and that, just as it is in the case of an unborn child, there is no scientific way to know, with any certainty, what her actual level of awareness might be.

Death row inmates made a choice that put them where they are.

Bandit2981
03-26-2005, 09:42 PM
there is no scientific way to know, with any certainty, what her actual level of awareness might be
i thought they had done brain tests on her, and the tests showed absolutely no electrical activity going on

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 09:55 PM
i thought they had done brain tests on her, and the tests showed absolutely no electrical activity going on
Nope. That would be defined as brain dead.

The current diagnosis for Mrs. Schiavo is "persistent vegetative state." The problem with that diagnosis is that it was made many years ago and, it appears, there are various degrees of consciousness that were not taken into consideration back when Mrs. Schiavo's diagnosis was "put to chart" as they say. Now, there is a level of consciousness just above "persistent vegetative state," and according to the neurologist that examined her just three weeks ago, he believes she may fall into this category of brain-injured patient.

Mrs. Schiavo has responded to stimuli. Mrs. Schiavo has held her gaze on people and objects. Mrs. Schiavo voluntarily smiles at certain voices and noises.

The problem appears to be that she's a victim of the medical community not having enough categories of diagnosis for severly brain-injured patients 15 years ago and, her husband, Michael Schiavo (while, by all accounts, has taken very good care of her), has resisted further medical treatments and evaluations for about the past 7 years which, not coincidentally I imagine, coincides with the time he suddenly remembered their 8 years earlier conversation.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Which doctor is this?

Bandit2981
03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Nope. That would be defined as brain dead
well, here is what i read:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/032405I.html

The medical reality of Ms. Schiavo's case is this: She has been in what is medically referred to as a "permanent vegetative state" for the past 15 years, ever since her heart temporarily stopped (probably due to the severe effects of an eating disorder), depriving her brain of oxygen. Brain scans indicate that her cerebral cortex ceased functioning -- probably just after she experienced cardiac arrest in 1990. Ms. Schiavo's CAT scan shows massive shrinking of the brain, and her EEG is flat. Physicians confirm that there is no electrical activity coming from her brain. While the family video repeatedly shown on television suggests otherwise, her non-functioning cortex precludes cognition, including any ability to interact or communicate with people or show any signs of awareness. Dozens of experts over the years who have examined Ms. Schiavo agree that there is no hope of her recovering -- even though her body, face and eyes (if she is given food and hydration) might continue to move for decades to come.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:01 PM
well, here is what i read:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/032405I.html

If that were the case, she'd be on a respirator and a "thumper."

Drachen
03-26-2005, 10:01 PM
That Mrs. Schiavo has absolutely no say in her disposition and that, just as it is in the case of an unborn child, there is no scientific way to know, with any certainty, what her actual level of awareness might be.

Death row inmates made a choice that put them where they are.

Not the innocent ones. You are willing to accept with full faith the a death sentence as long as it is in a criminal trial, yet you are not able to accept the same in this case, even though both have been handed down by the courts.

Bandit2981
03-26-2005, 10:02 PM
If that were the case, she'd be on a respirator and a "thumper."
you're a neurologist now?

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Not the innocent ones. You are willing to accept with full faith the a death sentence as long as it is in a criminal trial, yet you are not able to accept the same in this case, even though both have been handed down by the courts.
No, not the case. But, you're arguing the exception against the rule.

There are no exceptions for people situated like Mrs. Schiavo and unborn children. They're all innocent.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:03 PM
you're a neurologist now?
Maybe.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Which doctor?

Drachen
03-26-2005, 10:13 PM
No, not the case. But, you're arguing the exception against the rule.

There are no exceptions for people situated like Mrs. Schiavo and unborn children. They're all innocent.

And why does this matter, you know the thing about the exceptions: They're all innocent.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Which doctor?
William Cheshire, Jr.

Guru of Nothing
03-26-2005, 10:24 PM
The only true "pro-lifers" are hard core Buddhist monks, Mikey. They won't kill anything that is alive, not even an insect. They are consistant across the board. Everyone else is selling something or pushing an agenda with their situational "morality".

Actually, I think you are referring to Jainists.

I could be wrong.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:25 PM
And why does this matter, you know the thing about the exceptions: They're all innocent.
Well, for one, I too am horrified that anyone would be wrongly put to death but, I am not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater and just discontinue capital punishment wholesale. I believe capital punishment, with it's flaws, has prevented exponentially more innocents from dying than its killed. So, let's fix it.

But, on the other hand, there can be no argument that Mrs. Schiavo (never having been tried for a capital offense) and all unborn children are innocent. 100% of them.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 10:26 PM
William Cheshire, Jr.My reply is in the other thread.

Guru of Nothing
03-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Let me tell you something else. You can be sure Frankenmichael is looking out for his quality of life. It's all about lookin out for #1 for that rat bastard. Terri can't push up daisies fast enough for that monster.

Blind blind blind fucking justice.

See you guys later, I gotta go take big michael schiavo.

And Terri's soul goes to Heaven, correct? It's a win/win in my book.

Drachen
03-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Well, for one, I too am horrified that anyone would be wrongly put to death but, I am not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater and just discontinue capital punishment wholesale. I believe capital punishment, with it's flaws, has prevented exponentially more innocents from dying than its killed. So, let's fix it.

But, on the other hand, there can be no argument that Mrs. Schiavo (never having been tried for a capital offense) and all unborn children are innocent. 100% of them.

Yet you are willing to throw the "baby out with the bathwater" in Mrs. Schaivo's case even though many courts have ruled that this is what she wanted. Is there are chance for error? Yes, just like in the death-penalty cases. Now again, why do you believe the courts when someone is charged with a crime, but you dont believe them in this case?

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:33 PM
And Terri's soul goes to Heaven, correct? It's a win/win in my book.
So, let's just kill everyone and all go to heaven then. That's a win/win/win ad infinitum...

Guru of Nothing
03-26-2005, 10:37 PM
So, let's just kill everyone and all go to heaven then. That's a win/win/win ad infinitum...

Of course!!

... unless deep down you heart is telling you that everlasting life in heaven is just a bunch of bullshit.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I would have to say "snap!"

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Yet you are willing to throw the "baby out with the bathwater" in Mrs. Schaivo's case even though many courts have ruled that this is what she wanted.I don't see how you perceive that as "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" and courts are fallible. Arguably, condemned prisoners have many, many, many more opportunities to plead their case in court before they are finally executed. In the case of Mrs. Schiavo, it's been 7 years.

Is there are chance for error? Yes, just like in the death-penalty cases.
What are the consequences of not killing Terri Schiavo? There aren't any.

What were the consequences of not killing Kenneth McDuff when he was on death row in the 60's only to have that commuted and eventually be released by the courts? Well, at least two other murders -- probably more.

Now again, why do you believe the courts when someone is charged with a crime, but you dont believe them in this case?
I didn't say I didn't "believe" them. I merely stated there are no reasons to rush to kill this woman before all options -- every last one -- are exhausted -- we would do no less for a serial killer.

Drachen
03-26-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't see how you perceive that as "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" and courts are fallible. Arguably, condemned prisoners have many, many, many more opportunities to plead their case in court before they are finally executed. In the case of Mrs. Schiavo, it's been 7 years.

What are the consequences of not killing Terri Schiavo? There aren't any

Not following her wishes as to what to do with her life.

What were the consequences of not killing Kenneth McDuff when he was on death row in the 60's only to have that commuted and eventually be released by the courts? Well, at least two other murders -- probably more.

I didn't say I didn't "believe" them. I merely stated there are no reasons to rush to kill this woman before all options -- every last one -- are exhausted -- we would do no less for a serial killer

So instead of killing the death row inmates why dont we, as you say, "fix the system" and make it so that when you are sentenced to life in prison, you actually get life.

As far as rushing to kill this woman, all appeals have been exhausted as allowed under the law. Why isnt Bush signing into federal law orders that allow specific death row inmates "just one more appeal"? I dont know, my answer, neither should have happend.

The Ressurrected One
03-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Not following her wishes as to what to do with her life.
You don't know what her wishes are.

So instead of killing the death row inmates why dont we, as you say, "fix the system" and make it so that when you are sentenced to life in prison, you actually get life.
I'm for that. But, I think there's still a place for capital punishment.

As far as rushing to kill this woman, all appeals have been exhausted as allowed under the law.
She wasn't sentenced for a crime. Civil appeals and recourse never "exhaust."

Why isnt Bush signing into federal law orders that allow specific death row inmates "just one more appeal"? I dont know, my answer, neither should have happend.
I too disagreed with the federal attempt at intevention in this case. But, I suppose if President Bush felt strongly enough or, if the majority in Congress felt strongly enough, about a particular death row case -- they'd do just that. And, it'd be wrong then too.

samikeyp
03-27-2005, 12:49 AM
You're welcome. I'm betting you voted for the "nuanced" candidate, no?

Welcome for what...you didn't thank me for anything. not sure who the nuanced candidate is but I voted for Bush.

At least my position would save innocent life.

How? Its ok to shoot abortion doctors and to want to kill someone who disagrees with you? I have no problem with killing murderers. They broke the law and the death penalty is a legal form of punishment. Michael Schiavo hasn't broken the law. Abortion doctors do not break the law if they do an abortion. As far as war goes, I support our troops and want them to have the best equipment and best chance to do their jobs and get home to their families. I didn't want them over in Iraq. Why would I want them to be in harm's way? I don't like the idea of my fellow countrymen, some of them who are my friends, being shot at or killed. Who is actually for war?

You are entitled to your beliefs...you are misinterpreting mine.

Extra Stout
03-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Innocents have been killed in Iraq. The lesson of the neoconservatives though is that the establishment and protection of the rule of law in Iraq protects millions of lives, and cannot be pushed aside for individuals, even though it causes individual tragedies.

Similarly, in Florida, though the laws that have brought the Schiavo case to this point suck and need to be changed, they are the current laws, and they should not be put aside. The rule of law in America protects all of us, and we must never give the executive the ability to set aside laws in individual cases. We have governors and Presidents, not kings.