PDA

View Full Version : Trade during the playoffs?

montgod
05-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know of recent memory a trade that occured during the playoffs? Of course, the teams doing the trading would not be participating in the playoffs but I know I read somewhere that this is allowable. I just don't ever remember it happening... or have been to lazy to do a search :blah

If this is the case, I wonder why more teams don't do trading more often right after the season? I guess waiting to see what happens during the draft and how FA might turn out.

montgod
05-11-2009, 11:10 PM
No, the playoffs still counts as the season, and we are past the deadline.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Mods... you can delete this thread.

Mel_13
05-11-2009, 11:21 PM

I remember the post the OP refers to. I believe ploto was the poster. I was surprised to read that trades were possible before the end of the playoffs and looked it up to see if it was true. According to this reference, it is:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q85

Applicable portion:

Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

exstatic
05-11-2009, 11:28 PM

If both team's season is over (either eliminated from, or didn't make the playoffs), they can make a trade right up until the end of the Finals. There are conditions, though. I think any contract that will end in June cannot be moved at this point. There were a couple of teams that made a late May or June trade, back in 2007, I think, while we were on our Ring Run. Freaked me right out.

Mel_13
05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Huh thats an odd rule. I would believe it is an uncommonly taken advantage of because other teams might find it unfair. If the Spurs and Blazers were to make a trade for Batum and say the Lakers wanted to make a trade but could not make an offer due to the post season the Spurs (or any other team not playing) could have a slight unfair advantage.

I agree and I can't recall any trades made before the end of the playoffs.

montgod
05-11-2009, 11:37 PM
If both team's season is over (either eliminated from, or didn't make the playoffs), they can make a trade right up until the end of the Finals. There are conditions, though. I think any contract that will end in June cannot be moved at this point. There were a couple of teams that made a late May or June trade, back in 2007, I think, while we were on our Ring Run. Freaked me right out.

Really? I think I am going to have to go to the rule book to see if there is anything on this.

If it's true, I wonder why more teams don't trade more often during the playoffs?

exstatic
05-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Huh thats an odd rule. I would believe it is an uncommonly taken advantage of because other teams might find it unfair. If the Spurs and Blazers were to make a trade for Batum and say the Lakers wanted to make a trade but could not make an offer due to the post season the Spurs (or any other team not playing) could have a slight unfair advantage.

I think it's like the lottery, a built-in advantage for the eliminated teams.

exstatic
05-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Really? I think I am going to have to go to the rule book to see if there is anything on this.

If it's true, I wonder why more teams don't trade more often during the playoffs?

Look up at mel_13's post.

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
There were a couple of teams that made a late May or June trade, back in 2007, I think, while we were on our Ring Run. Freaked me right out.

I'm sure there are other examples, but this is a recent one and probably is what exstatic was talking about:

6/14/07 (the day of Game 4 of the '07 Finals) -- Houston traded Juwan Howard to Minnesota for Mike James and Justin Reed.

kobyz
05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
i think the trade Nesterovic for Bonner was during the playoffs

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2009, 11:56 AM
i think the trade Nesterovic for Bonner was during the playoffs

That was the day after the Heat won the '06 Finals.

Heat beat the Mavs on 6/20/06 to clinch the title. The following day, "San Antonio traded Rasho Nesterovic and cash to Toronto for Matt Bonner, Eric Williams, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick."

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/nba-daily/older/05-06/scores6-21.txt

kobyz
05-12-2009, 06:06 PM
That was the day after the Heat won the '06 Finals.

Heat beat the Mavs on 6/20/06 to clinch the title. The following day, "San Antonio traded Rasho Nesterovic and cash to Toronto for Matt Bonner, Eric Williams, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick."

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/nba-daily/older/05-06/scores6-21.txt

i was close