PDA

View Full Version : In light of Terri Schiavo....

MannyIsGod
03-25-2005, 07:49 PM
How many of you have made it clear what you would want done in regards to being in that type of a situation?

My mother and I both had a conversation and we both came to the same conclusion. I'd never talked to her about that before, but it is definetly now clear that neither of us would want to be kept on any form of life support, including that kind of feeding.

ZStomp
03-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Pull the plug.

johnny00
03-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I've never discussed it with my father or my daughters (12&14) but it certainly is something to disuss with them. My mother passed away when I was 14, she was on life support due to an anyurism, My father had to make the decsion to take her off it. I know to this day that decision still hurts him. Me personally, I would not want to live the remainder of my days being kept alive by tubes. I would rather people remember me for how I lived and loved life rather than an involent dependent on machines.

SpursWoman
03-25-2005, 11:49 PM
I've never discussed it with my father or my daughters (12&14) but it certainly is something to disuss with them. My mother passed away when I was 14, she was on life support due to an anyurism, My father had to make the decsion to take her off it. I know to this day that decision still hurts him. Me personally, I would not want to live the remainder of my days being kept alive by tubes. I would rather people remember me for how I lived and loved life rather than an involent dependent on machines.

Best solution to this kind of problem....which I was faced with with my own mother 3 weeks ago. Be an organ donor...which she was.

You don't have to watch them remove the tubes, and we found some comfort in the fact that she had a very rare blood type and was able to save a very sick woman here locally with her liver, someone in California with her pancreas and her kidneys & heart were very healthy and able to be harvested for a couple of other potential matches.

There was absolutely no question what her wishes were...that if my brother and I were to ever keep her alive on tubes she would come back from the dead and kick our asses the rest of our lives. It made the most excrutiatingly painful, heart-wrenching decision you'd ever, ever have to make as tolerable as something like that could ever be. But according to some I've seen express their opinions in this forum, my brother and I murdered my mom earlier this month....despite the fact that she was given absolutely ZERO chance of recovery.

SequSpur
03-26-2005, 12:18 AM
My Father passed away of an Aneurysm as well. We had to make that tough decision as well, and it was more tough because my father never told us what he wanted, so it was hard to agree what should be done.

With today's technology in medicine, be very careful of what you choose, because sometimes miracles can happen. I have witnessed both and once the life is gone, there is no hope.

T Park
03-26-2005, 12:50 AM
I would ask that if doctors think therapy can be done. and I can be improved, that keep going.

Never give up.

Unless I was a total, zombie with no feeling of pain.

I feel bad for Terri, heard her brother talk last night on Hannity and Colmes,

shes in so much pain that her mom is throwing up, and the others had to leave the room.

Absolutely sad.

TheWriter
03-26-2005, 01:35 AM
How can she be in pain when her entire cerebral cortex is nothing but pure mush?

No human being can fill pain without a cerebral cortex.

Her family is being over dramatic in a long and continuous attempt to try and fool the public into believing that that woman is dying some kind of tortuous death..

Seems you feel victim to it.

Spurgal
03-26-2005, 02:04 AM
I read In an article at work that when Terry was young and well she was bulimic...And now her family Is trying to keep her alive by feeding her through a tube...

TheWriter
03-26-2005, 02:16 AM
I read In an article at work that when Terry was young and well she was bulimic...And now her family Is trying to keep her alive by feeding her through a tube...

So, was that an ironic job?

If so, it was executed very badly.

jcrod
03-26-2005, 02:35 AM
I would want them to pull the plug.

But at the sametime.....If they really feel there is no hope for her. Why not just inject her with something and kill her off quickly. Why wait 2 weeks and make her starve to death. No matter how you look at it, it just not right. I don't see how they can pull her feeding tube and let a human being STARVE to death. It's not like you pulling the life support machine off someone and they stop breathing and die fast.

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 02:38 AM
Go to the Political forum if you want to debate Terri Schiavo, don't do it in this thread.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Best solution to this kind of problem....which I was faced with with my own mother 3 weeks ago. Be an organ donor...which she was.

You don't have to watch them remove the tubes, and we found some comfort in the fact that she had a very rare blood type and was able to save a very sick woman here locally with her liver, someone in California with her pancreas and her kidneys & heart were very healthy and able to be harvested for a couple of other potential matches.

There was absolutely no question what her wishes were...that if my brother and I were to ever keep her alive on tubes she would come back from the dead and kick our asses the rest of our lives. It made the most excrutiatingly painful, heart-wrenching decision you'd ever, ever have to make as tolerable as something like that could ever be. But according to some I've seen express their opinions in this forum, my brother and I murdered my mom earlier this month....despite the fact that she was given absolutely ZERO chance of recovery.

Again, our condolences for the loss of your mom. And I think it's awesome that her donations saved/helped so many others. These choices are so personal that I hate to hear when people pass judgement on families in these situations.

I personally wouldn't want to be kept alive on life support if there was zero chance of recovery, or major irreversible brain damage. But I also wouldn't want to give away my organs. I know that is a selfish and probably stupid mindset, and maybe I'll feel differently about it as I get older.

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 03:00 AM
For what it's worth Christy, I'm proud of what you did. I'm an organ donor and I can think of no better way to live on.

SequSpur
03-26-2005, 03:11 AM
Organ donation is giving the gift of life.

I know a few patients that have had lung transplants that are 50+ years old that could barely breath after two steps and now have 20 year old lungs and function quite well with no shortness of breath at all.

Amazing.

Look at Elliott and Mourning. They wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for a organ donation.

timvp
03-26-2005, 03:23 AM
My mom is one of the rare people who say to keep them on life support no matter what. She has told everyone to never pull the plug.

I hate doctors and especially hate hospitals, so I'd tell them to pull the plug at the first sign that I might not make it.

cqsallie
03-26-2005, 04:29 AM
I personally wouldn't want to be kept alive on life support if there was zero chance of recovery, or major irreversible brain damage. But I also wouldn't want to give away my organs. I know that is a selfish and probably stupid mindset, and maybe I'll feel differently about it as I get older.
Good Lord, Kori, you are not that young! The chance that a blind person could see because of your gift of corneas, the chance that a severely burned person could receive skin grafts, that bone marrow could be extracted and matched to a child dying from lukemia, that one of your kidneys might make it possible for someone to be relieved of continuous and painful treatments...
Why would you not want to give whatever you can? That's one of the things that keeps me going. If I die, someone may live, see, or just enjoy a better quality of life because of my death.
This isn't morbid! This is how you can change lives. I know you want to be a part of this!
Love,
Sallie :angel

timvp
03-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Why would you not want to give whatever you can? That's one of the things that keeps me going.

Didn't you just contradict yourself?

cqsallie
03-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Didn't you just contradict yourself?
No! I did not contradict myself. One of the things that keeps me maintaining a healthy body is the thought that an accident could "rob" me of my life. But would I really be robbed of life, or would I gain the chance to give something through my death?
Your reading of my post may well be colored by the fact that I disagreed...
N'est pas?
"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-by to the Bill of Rights." H.L. Mencken.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Good Lord, Kori, you are not that young! The chance that a blind person could see because of your gift of corneas, the chance that a severely burned person could receive skin grafts, that bone marrow could be extracted and matched to a child dying from lukemia, that one of your kidneys might make it possible for someone to be relieved of continuous and painful treatments...
Why would you not want to give whatever you can? That's one of the things that keeps me going. If I die, someone may live, see, or just enjoy a better quality of life because of my death.
This isn't morbid! This is how you can change lives. I know you want to be a part of this!
Love,
Sallie

Sallie, of course I understand and have thought many times about the same things you've said. But at this point still haven't chosen to be an organ donor. I know a lot of people who are the same way. Like I said, I may change later.

Slomo
03-26-2005, 05:47 AM
This is a very personal decision and nobody should be judged based on it or even singled out or forced into it.

I personally agree with cqsallie, since if I can be of use after my death - well so much the better (my mother in law would probably argue that I finally became useful - but that's another story). I know my mother does not want to be kept on life support but at the same time does not want to donate her organs. It's just a "thing", a phobia of some sorts - and to me that's the end of the story.

SpursWoman
03-26-2005, 10:05 AM
But I also wouldn't want to give away my organs. I know that is a selfish and probably stupid mindset, and maybe I'll feel differently about it as I get older.

Just in case you didn't know, they don't put whether or not you want to be a donor on your driver's license anymore...so you really need to make your wishes known to your family, because ultimately it's their decision. We just happen to know that's what my mom wanted.

Something to think about that gave us chills and peace with our decision.....imagine this family....this lady was only in her 40's with an uncommon blood type and not given very good odds at surviving without a transplant. Early in the morning on the 3rd of March they got a phone call. Can you imagine how they must have felt? What if she had young children? I can't begin to imagine...but to know we could give someone even a chance is indescribable.

And you can specify which organs you'd like to donate, it's not an all-or-nothing deal. We only agreed to life saving organs....we were very uncomfortable with the appendage one and the methods they use with the cornea and tissue donation....which is basically removing one of the arms from the elbow.

It's not for everyone, obviously...just be very clear about your wishes. To make it easier for your loved ones when they are already consumed with grief. A living will, power of attorney, and even a generic handwritten will are absolutely vital, and not expensive at all to do.

JoeChalupa
03-26-2005, 10:23 AM
The wife and I both agree we don't want to be kept alive by force unless there is true hope. If our brains are damaged then pull the plug.
We both know it is easier said than done though.
Thank you for your open posts Christy.

Shelly
03-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Hugs to you, SW!

I guess my husband and I need to sit down and talk about this stuff...

samikeyp
03-26-2005, 10:51 AM
My wife and I have talked about this and are very clear that we would not want to live in that state or be kept alive by machines. It is our decision and no one has the right to interfere. We are also both organ donors.

Christy, Erica and I send you and your family our love and prayers.

Useruser666
03-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Hugs to you, SW!

I guess my husband and I need to sit down and talk about this stuff...

Your organs will be too old to use if they looked at under a microscope! :lol :angel

On a more important note, I would like to donate my organs if anything were to happen to me where I was in a vegitative condition. The rest of me can be creamated and served in Chilli at a Spurs GTG for you all. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Mrs. Chopper told me if she's ever in a coma and considered brain dead that she wants me to give her a year before the plug is pulled. I can't even imagine having to do that.

I guess I always think that miracles can happen. I've heard of instances where someone who was considered to be in a vegetative state has come out of it and recovered, so it's hard to say what I'd want. I guess it's something I should think about I suppose. I hate the idea of leaving my family behind, especially my little boy. I pray for protection from such an event ever occurring.

Scary.

Das Texan
03-26-2005, 04:16 PM
13 months for me....I should put that in writing.

If no improvement pull it.

And SW...my condolences to you and your family...at least within your mother's loss, there was life for others.

queen sophie
03-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Texpro here on QS's machine:
Organ Donation is a highly personal issue. Some folks have religous beliefs that prevent them from donating organs. Others just plain don't like the idea of living on in someone else's body. Sure you might save someone's life, but suppose that person turns out to be an ax murderer or worse? These issues seem simple, until you start thinking about them.

Bottom line. Donating your organs however right it may seem must remain a voluntary act by someone. You can express your own wishes or leave the choice and responsibility to those who survive you. A decision not to donate must be respected as much as a decision to donate. What we don't want and can't have is a view that this is the only right thing to do. Such an idea will ultimately lead to a law forcing us to do the right thing and "donate" our our organs after death. If we are forced to donate our organs, then they are no longer ours. And if they are no longer ours ... Well maybe there is someone else who is more worthy of them than you are. That is a precedent none of us can afford.
Texpro
Hey Kori can you email me my password so I can post from my machine? skeATrunbox.com

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 05:18 PM
I agree 100% tex

Kori Ellis
03-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Texpro
Hey Kori can you email me my password so I can post from my machine?

Texpro -- as far as I can see, you never signed up here after we moved off of ezboard. Your user name is not on the member list. So you just need to register.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 09:25 PM
I've already donated a kidney; I think being brain dead will make the process less painful next time. If my time is up, please kill me -- and do it cool and tape it so it'll be on all the college humor websites. If I'm dead before someone finds me I want some kids to cart me around in their car Weekend at Bernie's-style and use me to try to buy some beer at a drive-thru convenince store.

iminlakerland
03-26-2005, 10:27 PM
SW my condolences to you and your family. But i also commend your family and mother for the donation of her organs. A lady at the church i work at donated her 20 year old sons organs when he passed. She said out of that travesty that was the best thing she could have done. She speaks so greatly of the organ donation process. She said they do it with a lot of respect for the human body.

I'm still skeptical if i would want to donate organs if i pass. There are days when I wonder I think i want to, but then there are days where i think im afraid too. I dont know what it is...but its something i feel my parents and i should talk about as well.

Again my prayers are with SW's family and also with The Schavio and Schindler families.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 10:32 PM
What do you guys who aren't donating plan to do with your organs after you're dead?

I hope mine don't go into some dude who's an asshole, but I don't think i can legally specify that.

NameDropper
03-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I guess mine will rot and become fertilizer for something else. A part of the cycle of life.

herbivore female
03-27-2005, 02:24 AM
i'd like to see the stats on how much faster donors "die" than non-donors.

cqsallie
03-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Four years ago, my grandson died of SIDS. No reason, no way to blame those of us who put him down for a nap and discovered him dead two hours later.
If you have never been in this position, you will never know the horror of it.
My son and daughter-in-law decided to donate whatever body parts could be used to save a life, make a life better. In their pain and agony, they thought about another child - one unknown to them - who could be saved by the donation of Duncan's body-parts.
You think that's wrong? You think that's morbid? No! That's a celebration of Duncan's short life.
At some point, all of us who realize that death is inevitable, can come to terms with our own mortality. I'd love to think that I'll life forever, but I won't. Because I realize this truth, I'm more than willing to be an organ donor.
Think! Coffin, grave, mouldering... Well that's a hell of a legacy, eh?

Kori Ellis
03-27-2005, 05:51 AM
I'm sorry about your grandson.

You think that's wrong?

No. It was great. But it was your family's personal choice.

Not everyone will want to make those same choices.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Everyone has the right to make the decision for themselves based upon their criteria.

CrazyOne
03-28-2005, 09:17 AM
I want them to take whatever can be of good use from my body when I die (that is, if there's anything left after the "Hey, Earl! Watch me do this!" incident I imagine will hasten my demise.)

I'll be getting a new one, anyway, so I'm don't care what they do with this body.

Solid D
03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/LAW/03/28/schiavo/top.schiavo.file1.ap.jpg

Photo of Terri Schiavo prior to her incapacitation. Friends contend Terri was never bulemic and that foul play cannot be ruled out as a cause of the incapacitation. I'm not sure what to believe about Terri and her husband but it seems there are many question marks in this story.

Jimcs50
03-28-2005, 10:52 AM
the whole story is sad.

WTF does he just not divorce her and let her parents and sister take care of her???

Jimcs50
03-28-2005, 10:53 AM
If that were my son in the situation and his wife would not let us keep him alive or try to get him well, I would have to kill the bitch.

Faccia di Angelo
03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Thats a very interesting question to consider. I've never really put much thought into it at first but I now realize how important of a topic it is and have wanted to sit down with my parents and talk it out.

As far as donors, I remember when growing up I used to be scared to death about giving up my organs because I used to think once I died I would be going to heaven incomplete or something. lol I know its a silly thought but as a kid it would hold me back. Then as an adult I considered it again and was told by someone that when you are a donor you aren't put as a priority to have your life saved. They won't really try as hard. Now I don't know if that is true or not but it scared me off again.

Now my mother is in need of a kidney transplant and I pray for her health every day. I would give mine up in a second and now I think different about organ donors. I know I would be forever grateful to get that call and hear someone's a match for her. And if I could help someone's loved one somehow I would. Its such a tough subject and I wouldn't come down on someone for believing something either way cause I can understand it coming from both sides.

SW, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been losing your mother and making that tough decision. I know I will never be the same person again when I lose my mother. She is everything to me. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

SpursWoman
03-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Then as an adult I considered it again and was told by someone that when you are a donor you aren't put as a priority to have your life saved. They won't really try as hard. Now I don't know if that is true or not but it scared me off again.

The hospital has absolutely no way of knowing whether or not someone receiving treatment at any level is a donor or not unless you tell them. It's not on your DL anymore.

SpursWoman
03-28-2005, 06:18 PM
SW, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been losing your mother and making that tough decision. I know I will never be the same person again when I lose my mother. She is everything to me. You are in my thoughts and prayers

And thank you and everyone for your kind words....I'm still in the "this is not really happening" stage. :(

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
The hospital has absolutely no way of knowing whether or not someone receiving treatment at any level is a donor or not unless you tell them. It's not on your DL anymore.

It is in New Mexico.

MannyIsGod
03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
I never once bought into the myth that someone would treat you less if they thought you were a donor. Just sounds silly to me.

SpursWoman
03-28-2005, 06:22 PM
It is in New Mexico.

It isn't in Texas unless it's on the magnetic strip somehow....I had my mom's and mine and it's not designated one way or the other...

I never once bought into the myth that someone would treat you less if they thought you were a donor. Just sounds silly to me.

Me, too.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Now my mother is in need of a kidney transplant and I pray for her health every day. I would give mine up in a second and now I think different about organ donors.Have you gotten tested to see if you're a match?

Faccia di Angelo
03-29-2005, 07:36 AM
Have you gotten tested to see if you're a match?
No I wasn't, nor anyone in our family. I asked about it immediately and she was told by her doctor that she didn't want us as donors because diabetes runs in our family. I guess we need them. I don't care either way, I still insisted on wanting to get checked to give mine but they just put her on the donor list, which you know is never ending :(

ChumpDumper
03-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Makes some sense, though it does run in my family also to an extent. Type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Parent/child has mathmeatically the best chance of matching, btw -- though it turned out that myself and my sister were perfect matches for my brother.

Ignite
03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
I think she should live.

Solid D
03-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Are you joking, Ignite?

bigzak25
03-29-2005, 02:00 PM
i'm sure the pope would be pleased to get a mention in such shitty post.

CosmicCowboy
03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Kori needs to move ignites post to the "classless, ignorant, worst of the worst posts forum"

gay abc
03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
:wow

Solid D
03-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Ignite, I can't believe you are the same person who posted this a month ago regarding Malik. I find it ironic.

"We don't realize, even though this is a business, NBA players are humans with feelings too. great job by WOAI on this interview."

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=172285#post172285

baseline bum
03-29-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Christy. It's awesome that your mother could help save someone else's life though.

If I was in Terri's situation I'd want the plug pulled. No sense wasting time and money for medical care for someone who will never have conscious life again.

Samurai Jane
03-29-2005, 02:48 PM
I echo all the sentiments in here, SW. You and your family are in my prayers and I also think it's awesome what your mom was able to do.

Shelly
03-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Jenn..how's your niece doing?

Samurai Jane
03-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Jenn..how's your niece doing?

God certainly performed a miracle on her. She is improving every day. They performed surgery on her on Saturday to take out the part of her lung that was damaged beyond repair but they say she is recovering very nicely. She's still unconcious, but they are talking about taking her breathing tube out as early as this week!! God is good. :angel

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 04:06 PM
God certainly performed a miracle on her. She is improving every day. They performed surgery on her on Saturday to take out the part of her lung that was damaged beyond repair but they say she is recovering very nicely. She's still unconcious, but they are talking about taking her breathing tube out as early as this week!! God is good. :angel

That's wonderful news! :)

Shelly
03-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery!