PDA

View Full Version : Leave the Scowl at Home, Kobe

1Parker1
05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/090512&sportCat=nba

Nice article...I actually agree with it 100%. It's something even hard core Laker fans can concede.
__________________________________________________ ___

The strangest moment of the NBA playoffs took place during Game 3 of the Lakers-Rockets series, when Kobe Bryant hit an 18-foot turnaround jumper from the left elbow with Shane Battier's right hand in his face. Bryant immediately began shaking his head with a look that indicated he smelled something really bad. This -- as you know -- is Kobe's dismissive face, the one he now makes after nearly every basket.

But that wasn't the strange part -- after all, how can something be strange when it happens anywhere from 10 to 25 times a game? The strange part came afterward, when he started back downcourt and turned to the TNT broadcasters at center court and yelled toward commentator Doug Collins.

We get it Kobe, no one can guard you. Now keep quiet and play the game."He can't guard me," Bryant said. Shaking his head, his mouth curled downward in a semicircle of disgust, he stared down Collins and said it again, "He can't guard me."

There was a pause on the broadcast. OK, that was meant for us, you could almost hear them thinking. So ... what do we say now? They couldn't ignore it, because it was clear to everyone watching that they were taken aback and that Kobe was the reason. Kevin Harlan acknowledged that Kobe was targeting Collins, one of the most even and knowledgeable minds in the game. When Harlan asked his partner what it was all about, Collins sounded genuinely perplexed. "I'm not sure," he said, and they quickly and quietly moved on.

And that's the deal about Kobe: None of us is sure. How can a guy with that much talent play with such little joy? Why does he feel he has to put on that phony tough-guy show all the time? Underneath all that pre-fab armor, who is he? Does he even know?

It's sad, maybe, but Kobe will never be appreciated in a manner commensurate with his ability. He's in the process of turning himself into an antihero. (In many respects, he is similar to Alex Rodriguez, another tin-eared superstar.) Everything he does reeks of insecurity, which is a really weird trait for a guy who -- along with LeBron James -- is a once-a-decade basketball talent.

Unlike LeBron, though, Kobe can't let his game speak for him. He has to accentuate everything with the facial expressions and the dismissiveness. It's not enough for him to beat someone; he feels compelled to belittle that person in the process. That's why one of the best things about the Lakers-Rockets series -- and, really, it's turning into a 700-page novel -- has been Shane Battier's reaction to Kobe's antics. And that reaction is this: zero. None. He acts as though he can't hear or see any of it.

Hey, Kobe, we know you're great. You know you're great. Shane Battier knows you're great. How about letting someone else say it first every once in a while? The way it works now, you're telling us so often that we're getting tired of it. Let us be the judge of whether someone can or cannot guard you. It's pretty self-explanatory, to Doug Collins and everybody else.

You see, I want to be able to enjoy Kobe's talent. I want to see it the way I see LeBron's: transcendent, mostly pure and emanating outward. It probably will never happen, though. Kobe won't let it.

For a guy with such a constant flow of creativity running through his game, it's amazing to see how calculated he is about his image. He comes across as though he's reading a script, and he's all wrong for the part (maybe Alan Alda reading a part meant for Harvey Keitel). There are just too many false notes, and the worst part is, he actually seems to believe this is what people want from him. This is the persona he has cultivated, and he's going with it no matter what. It's really kind of sad.

And this is where Kobe veers from the arrogant antihero routine perfected by someone such as Barry Bonds. Bonds didn't care what you thought about him. He thrived off the anger he generated. But this preening, jaw-jutting, head-shaking character is what Kobe believes people want.

Maybe it's his attempt to answer the questions of the Lakers' toughness. I don't know, but in the playoffs, his performances generally follow one of two themes: (1) He takes over the game and taunts everybody in sight, demanding that all acknowledge his greatness or (2) he steps back and intentionally doesn't take over a game, in which case his attitude seems to be, "See what they look like without me?" Either way, it's a tough act to embrace.

In the wake of Sunday's Game 4 disaster, when Battier and Ron Artest did guard Kobe -- and after which Magic Johnson said the Lakers defiled the team's honor -- it's a good bet Kobe will be at his contrived best in Tuesday night's Game 5. He'll probably dominate, and he'll undoubtedly let us know.

But here's a radical idea: Stop with the smugness and the arrogance. Play your game and let your talent speak for itself. You might not know this, but it does a much better job than you do. And if you're not going to enjoy what you bring to the court, at least give us half a chance.

TampaDude
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
:tu

DrHouse
05-12-2009, 11:25 AM
If the scowl enables him to go off for 40pts then keep doing it

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-12-2009, 11:26 AM
The author articulates what most non-Laker-Kobe fans have seen -- this article applies to any year during Kobe's career.

The only part I disagree with the author is this last portion (It would be constructive suggestion if this was written to a Kobe that was still a kid fresh out of high school.)

But here's a radical idea: Stop with the smugness and the arrogance. Play your game and let your talent speak for itself. You might not know this, but it does a much better job than you do. And if you're not going to enjoy what you bring to the court, at least give us half a chance.

As far as I can tell, he's set in his ways, it's too late for Kobe to change. He's already thirty and still doing this stuff! :bang

There were two years where I had a brief moment to be neutral and appreciate Kobe's individual game as an NBA fan, in 2006 when I felt sorry for his crappy team. And in 2007 when I felt sorry for his loser team... but he kept being too obnoxious for me with those little phony moments he does in-game. The guy tries too hard.
One minute you're amazed, and then in an instant your amazement turns into disgust from his arrogant mugging. It's a big turnoff.

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
The author articulates what most non-Laker-Kobe fans have seen -- this article applies to any year during Kobe's career.

The only part I disagree with the author is this last portion (It would be constructive suggestion if this was written to a Kobe that was still a kid fresh out of high school.)

As far as I can tell, he's set in his ways, it's too late for Kobe to change. He's already thirty and still doing this stuff! :bang

There were two years where I had a brief moment to be neutral and appreciate Kobe's individual game as an NBA fan, in 2006 when I felt sorry for his crappy team. And in 2007 when I felt sorry for his loser team... but he kept being too obnoxious for me with those little phony moments he does in-game. The guy tries too hard.
One minute you're amazed, and then in an instant your amazement turns into disgust from his arrogant mugging. It's a big turnoff.

let me see...so your admitting to liking Kobe's game only when he is in a losing team. No shit..thats whut people in the oppsing team do.

Also..would you rather have Kobe (proven to be one of the all time greats) taunting after a shot in a heated playoff game...or Eddie House, a journeyman, taunting everytime he makes a shot.

If this is what Kobe needs to fire him up..so be it. i wouldnt like it too if i was the opposing team. So obviously noone cares except for the writer of this column.

Spurminator
05-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Normally I'd agree but I'm so tired of hearing about how Shane Battier is the new Kobe Stopper that I'm kind of okay with the showboating. Guessing Kobe's tired of it too.

Spursfan092120
05-12-2009, 11:44 AM
let me see...so your admitting to liking Kobe's game only when he is in a losing team. No shit..thats whut people in the oppsing team do.

Also..would you rather have Kobe (proven to be one of the all time greats) taunting after a shot in a heated playoff game...or Eddie House, a journeyman, taunting everytime he makes a shot.

If this is what Kobe needs to fire him up..so be it. i wouldnt like it too if i was the opposing team. So obviously noone cares except for the writer of this column.
Wow..an article done by ESPN in a great way..it's VERY true..but I just knew that you would look at it in a negative light. You KNOW Kobe acts the way this guy is saying...you've seen it if you watch any Laker games...Kobe is a great player...but if he could only keep his mouth shut, he could be seen as even greater.

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Normally I'd agree but I'm so tired of hearing about how Shane Battier is the new Kobe Stopper that I'm kind of okay with the showboating. Guessing Kobe's tired of it too.

Anyone who concentrates on Kobe and has a few good games is a Kobe Stopper. Remember the article that was written about Shane Battier being the Kobe Stopper earlier this year....Phil told reporters he made sure that Kobe read it. Its not like Kobe does this stuff every game guys.

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Wow..an article done by ESPN in a great way..it's VERY true..but I just knew that you would look at it in a negative light. You KNOW Kobe acts the way this guy is saying...you've seen it if you watch any Laker games...Kobe is a great player...but if he could only keep his mouth shut, he could be seen as even greater.

dude your a hater. of course you'd agree with it. Kobe doesnt do this scowl every game...Did he do it in game 3? Did he do it in game 1? Did he did it against the Jazz?

Spursfan092120
05-12-2009, 11:49 AM
dude your a hater. of course you'd agree with it. Kobe doesnt do this scowl every game...Did he do it in game 3? Did he do it in game 1? Did he did it against the Jazz?
Hater? Fuck no I'm not a hater..don't make false accusations about someone without knowing what the hell they're about, jerkoff. I'm one of the only Spurs fans who comes out and says I think Kobe is great. He's a phenomenal player, and one of the greatest of all time. Hater? That's you, douchebag. You hate anybody that's not in purple and gold, or has anything negative to say about them. Whether it helps them or not.

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Hater? Fuck no I'm not a hater..don't make false accusations about someone without knowing what the hell they're about, jerkoff. I'm one of the only Spurs fans who comes out and says I think Kobe is great. He's a phenomenal player, and one of the greatest of all time. Hater? That's you, douchebag. You hate anybody that's not in purple and gold, or has anything negative to say about them. Whether it helps them or not.

cool story, bro.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM

That's not what I said, I said even when he was on a losing team, and after laughing at him in 2004, and 2005, I decided to give Kobe the benefit of the doubt when he was of no threat to my team's chances, and STILL couldn't get myself to root for him.
I don't , see how Eddie House isn't relevant, since the article is in respect to Kobe's personality itself.

You guys are being foolish if you believe that attitude is "productive" or the reason why he's so good.
It's a sign of his egoistic immaturity/insecurity, not of his competitive fire. The reason he is so good has to do with his competitive nature, and the fact that he wakes up at 7 in the morning every day, to keep working on maintaining and improving his fitness and his game, it's not due to his excessive showboating....

Going overboard on the "mugging"/"facial ticks" has nothing to do with greatness or firing himself up or making himself the best. Ask Bird, Magic, (and to a lesser extent Jordan in his later years) who didn't take themselves seriously in their insistence of saying "I'm the best!" on the court, or to the cameras, every time they drained a shot or made a spectacular play.

The overly arrogant attitude is not only counter-productive for a great player, it has been one of the negative traits of Kobe that led to that Laker implosion with Shaq, and the countless times Kobe did something whacky in the playoffs, to prove a point. Not shooting the whole game (he did this twice) to freaking out in the Summer of '07...resenting Shaq for winning three straight finals MVPs...

Kobe alienates half the fan base from giving a shit about his special player status, in a way Jordan did not.

Only Laker homers would deny that Kobe isn't of the A-Rod, Barry Bonds mold by this point...moreso than a Lebron, Jeter, type team player.

Spursfan092120
05-12-2009, 12:06 PM
cool story, bro.
nothing to say so you default to sarcasm...typical Laker fan.

benefactor
05-12-2009, 12:08 PM
It is pretty ridiculous when Kobe does do stuff like he did in game 3. Can Battier shut down Kobe every single game? No. Can Kobe light up Battier every single game? No. So why act like that? You are a great player. Just be one and leave the doucheness at home.

Spursfan092120
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
It is pretty ridiculous when Kobe does do stuff like he did in game 3. Can Battier shut down Kobe every single game? No. Can Kobe light up Battier every single game? No. So why act like that? You are a great player. Just be one and leave the doucheness at home.
:tu

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
nothing to say so you default to sarcasm...typical Laker fan.

What else do i need to say, you say you are not a hater, i say you are. End of story. Unless you want to keep ranting about it?

TheNextGen
05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
That's not what I said, I said even when he was on a losing team, and after laughing at him in 2004, and 2005, I decided to give Kobe the benefit of the doubt when he was of no threat to my team's chances, and STILL couldn't get myself to root for him.
I don't , see how Eddie House isn't relevant, since the article is in respect to Kobe's personality itself.

You guys are being foolish if you believe that attitude is "productive" or the reason why he's so good.
It's a sign of his egoistic immaturity/insecurity, not of his competitive fire. The reason he is so good has to do with his competitive nature, and the fact that he wakes up at 7 in the morning every day, to keep working on maintaining and improving his fitness and his game, it's not due to his excessive showboating....

Going overboard on the "mugging"/"facial ticks" has nothing to do with greatness or firing himself up or making himself the best. Ask Bird, Magic, (and to a lesser extent Jordan in his later years) who didn't take themselves seriously in their insistence of saying "I'm the best!" on the court, or to the cameras, every time they drained a shot or made a spectacular play.

The overly arrogant attitude is not only counter-productive for a great player, it has been one of the negative traits of Kobe that led to that Laker implosion with Shaq, and the countless times Kobe did something whacky in the playoffs, to prove a point. Not shooting the whole game (he did this twice) to freaking out in the Summer of '07...resenting Shaq for winning three straight finals MVPs...

Kobe alienates half the fan base from giving a shit about his special player status, in a way Jordan did not.

Only Laker homers would deny that Kobe isn't of the A-Rod, Barry Bonds mold by this point...moreso than a Lebron, Jeter, type team player.

Kobe is one of the only players that play better when he is mad. Also, i dont see why arrogance caused the Shaq implosion. Shaq's lazyness and work ethic was the starting point of that whole altercation.

I honestly would love someone who shows that much passion in our team. We need someone to fire everyone up. I just think its hard to appreciate someone who is on the other side. Sometimes i wish Manu would just start talking shit. lol

Spursfan092120
05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
What else do i need to say, you say you are not a hater, i say you are. End of story. Unless you want to keep ranting about it?
lol...you think everybody hates Kobe. You feed off it. You actually think you're some sort of nonconformist for liking the Lakers, even though they have the largest bandwagon in NBA history. If you have read anything I've ever said about Kobe, you'd know I don't hate him at all. I've said on numerous occasions that he's the best player playing today. I think he's better than Lebron, and yet you say I'm hating on him. If any of the Spurs would be looking at Doug Collins on every other shot and talking shit, I'd be telling him to shut the hell up too. Has nothing to do with who he is.

1Parker1
05-12-2009, 12:23 PM
:lmao @ Lakerfan trying to defend Kobe's antics. I don't even know why we bother. For the last time...I think you will be hard pressed to find ANY fan of ANY team ever say that Kobe is NOT a great player. That is not the issue at heart.

Spursfan092120
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
:lmao @ Lakerfan trying to defend Kobe's antics. I don't even know why we bother. For the last time...I think you will be hard pressed to find ANY fan of ANY team ever say that Kobe is NOT a great player. That is not the issue at heart.
:toast

Indazone
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Battier plus Artest can stop Kobe. 15 pts in game 4 lol

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Battier plus Artest can stop Kobe. 15 pts in game 4 lol

They sure did...dont be surprised if Kobe Scowls some more today ;)

timvp
05-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Agreed. Battier remains one of the most overrated defenders in the game. Kobe has scored 44+ on Battier four times, 50+ twice. Very good defender but not as good as is claimed. He's not too quick laterally sometimes is so locked in on his man-on-man responsibilities that he doesn't help out on team defense. I'd say top 15 perimeter defender in the NBA, not top two or three.

Kobe is a d-bag but this article was unfair.

TheNextGen
05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Agreed. Battier remains one of the most overrated defenders in the game. Kobe has scored 44+ on Battier four times, 50+ twice. Very good defender but not as good as is claimed. He's not too quick laterally sometimes is so locked in on his man-on-man responsibilities that he doesn't help out on team defense. I'd say top 15 perimeter defender in the NBA, not top two or three.

+1. Though i give credit to Battier for not falling into Kobe's "scowl". Any other stopper (Raja Bell, Patterson) fell into Kobe's personality. Battier is acting very cool thru all the shit talking. Believe me, Kobe wants Battier to be mad and emotional.

td4mvp21
05-12-2009, 12:48 PM

That is pretty annoying.

But, Kobe has always been extremely arrogant and that's made it really hard to like him.

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Man why are they hatin on Kobe like that....I dont really like him but he's still a beast. Let him do him sons, PEACE

hitmanyr2k
05-12-2009, 01:02 PM

Unfair? The article didn't even mention Kobe purposely kneeing Battier in the head and then planting an elbow for good measure. Kobe is a talented piece of shit. Everyone knows this. Battier didn't proclaim himself the great Kobe stopper. He gives respect to his opponents and does his best to defend them. That's all. Just because you think Battier is overrated doesn't mean it gives Kobe an excuse to be an asshole.

1Parker1
05-12-2009, 02:04 PM

What makes this article unfair exactly?

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 02:35 PM
you guys are trippin. The calm and collected Kobe is the fake kobe...the shit talking Kobe is the real one.

djohn2oo8
05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
you guys are trippin. The calm and collected Kobe is the fake kobe...the shit talking Kobe is the real one.

I have never seen someone talk so much shit and can't even fight.....whoops, there goes kobe

TheMACHINE
05-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I have never seen someone talk so much shit and can't even fight.....whoops, there goes kobe

You must mean Ron Artest...Kobe has probably gotten into more fights then Artest in the NBA.

Xylus
05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
That Battier clip is pretty cool. Dude gets kneed and elbowed in the head, gets up, and walks away like nothing happened. Doesn't seem like you can get under his skin.

ambchang
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Would be funny if Battier started screaming to the broadcasting crew at the end of game 4 "I can guard him!" *Scrowl* "I can guard him!"

Players that needs to be "fired up" by their teammates antics needs to grow up. You are getting paid millions to do your best every single game. If playing in a tough playoff series with the championship within reach is not motivation for you, and you need to see your team captain scream like a neanderthal to the broadcasting crew to be "fired up", you don't belong on a championship team.

iggypop123
05-12-2009, 03:31 PM
whats the big deal. lebron did it last night in that boring game

MambaJuice2408
05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Quite honestly I don't see Kobe this scowl very often. SO i kinda think the author is a bit misleading in that sense.

Only times I see Kobe boast about his ways are against guys who think can challenge him or guard him.

For instance, Shane Battier gets alot of press in being a good defender against Kobe, which he is. So Kobe goes out there to prove that Battier can't stop him. I'm sure Kobe did the same things few years back when Raja Bell was the Kobe stopper for Phoenix.

IMO Kobe doesn't do this all the time. Only when there's a respectable defensive ace on the other team that will actually make him work. Kobe gets a thrill off these challenges that guys can stop him. It makes him dig deeper into his bag of tricks and also have to think about how to counter Shane's defensive tactics. I'm pretty sure Kobe get's so excited at the thought of playing against this type of player that he cannot help get but get excited when he goes off for a huge night. 13 years in the NBA, the guy has seen it all, this is one of the few motivational techniques that still work for him.

Cry Havoc
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM

This is an intentional ploy by the media, as they always do, to add spice to a series.

Remember when the Sonics had the answer to Duncan? Remember the Denver series where Nene played really well against him in Game 1, and suddenly Duncan had totally been neutralized by one player, they didn't need to double-team, and the series was lost?

This happens to almost every player. The media loves to anoint players in suck a manner, because it allows for even further evaluation of competition and more hype to surround two players who are going to be guarding each other over a series.

DDS4
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
If that's what gets Kobe going, so be it.

Not everyone can kick ass stoically like TD.

resistanze
05-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't think the issue should be Kobe talking shit. MJ talked A LOT of shit, so did Bird. And I don't want to hear the argument "well MJ can, he's the the GOAT!" No. He's still a douche.

The thing with Kobe is that it seems all forced. From the way he talks smack, the way he tried to be a leader in the locker room when reviewing game tape, to the way he answers questions in the media (wet the bed?? lmao). The boy needs to find himself.

Lars
05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd say top 15 perimeter defender in the NBA, not top two or three.

:lmao

Name me three better perimeter defenders than Shane.

ezau
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
You know what? I could easily become Kobe's biggest fan if he doesn't do his weird and disgusting antics on the court. There's no doubt he's downright great but he acts as if it's always a Sunday: No class.