PDA

View Full Version : Amends from a Recovering Liberal

DarrinS
05-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Letter of Amends from a Recovering Liberal in Berkeley (http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/05/letter_of_amends_from_a_recove.html)

Dear friends, family, loved ones, conservatives, Republicans, libertarians, my brother in law, Sam, and my cousin Joe: I am sorry and you were right.

These are not easy words for anyone to utter, much less a leftist from Berkeley, or a recovering leftist, that is. Even though I've been in recovery for 14 months, 2 weeks, and 3 days, leftists are always right in your face, in an I-hate-you-if-you-disagree sort of way. Hence, this letter of amends to all the people I've lectured, scolded, ranted and raved at, and otherwise annoyed during my 30 plus years of "progressive" politics.

My recovery program urges a fierce moral inventory, a cleansing of heart and mind (kind of like a "forgiveness tour" but without the scary dictators), so here goes:

To my brother in law, Sam, for blasting you in that Chinese restaurant for voting for Reagan, mea culpa.

To my cousin Joe for calling you a traitor when you became an MBA, started holding a real job (as opposed to most of us Berkeley types who are psychotherapists, massage therapists and aromatherapists), and became a conservative, my bad.

To my goddaughter whom I told when she was l0 years old that Republicans were bad, Democrats were good (yes I really did say this), and who got confused and tearful because she lives in a suburb where most people are Republicans, kid, what in the world was I thinking?

To my leftist friends, with whom I agreed that 9/ll was the US's fault, you and I were all such jerks.

To those potential friends whom I dumped when I found out you were conservative, your gain is my loss.

To all those columnists and editors whom I harangued with angry letters and e mails, sorry, sorry, sorry.

And finally to me, Robin, for installing you for the last 27 years in the far left cult of the People's Republic of Berkeley, where Patty Hearst was kidnapped by the SLA, where the Black Panthers had their violent beginnings and the heads of the Black Muslims are jailed for murder and rape, my apologies, girl.

I didn't know any better. I thought the whole world lived in areas where the streets are filthy, aggressive street behavior is allowed because the perps are victims of capitalism, and where you can easily get mugged walking down a street or eating in a restaurant at noon. (By the way, with the Left in charge, expect gangs, crime, indoctrination of 5 year olds and general anarchy to be coming soon to a neighborhood near you.)

Given that the media is pretty much censored (good luck finding a conservative book in your local "independent" book store or hearing a Republican speak anywhere), you didn't know that a party of grown ups even existed that didn't advocate screaming at others as the preferred mode of communication. So to my dear Robin, apologies for what I put you through, what I deprived you of, and my pledge to do better.

Cousin Joe, Sam, et al, you may be wondering how I did a l80 in 1 1/2 years. How did I go from a rabid, sanctimonious liberal whom you steadfastly avoided at family gatherings to a fan of Limbaugh, Hannity, and Savage? Recovery encourages us to share our story, so here's mine:

In February of 2008, I saw a new client, a bright and sensitive young woman who came in looking like she just escaped a war zone. In some ways she had; she had innocently shared with others at her job that she voted for Hillary rather than Obama. Immediately she was being targeted for abuse that put her in fear for not only her job, but her life.

We both suddenly became aware that something had grown really dark in the Democratic Party. I started hearing about many other incidents where loyal Democrats were being physically and emotionally threatened for supporting Hillary. A woman in Berkeley had her front window broken because it displayed a poster of Hillary. Randi Rhodes, an Air America talk show leftist, called Hillary a f______ witch. (Rhodes was recently promoted to a national talk radio show, illustrating another disturbing trend: the deafening silence about what Rush Limbaugh has dubbed the new "thug-ocracy.)

An acquaintance had her car broken into, and the only item stolen was a NoObama bumper sticker. A South Park episode featured an episode where a nuclear weapon was being aimed at Hillary's genitals. My local greeting card store sold very flattering cards about Obama, insulting ones about Hillary, and a Hillary "nutcracker." When I complained, the young male manager literally laughed in my face.

Things went from bad to worse when Sarah Palin entered the scene. When Geraldine Ferraro ran for Vice President, there was no debasement of her character, no sexual threats. But with Palin, a full scale "wilding" ensued that chillingly reminded me of the random sexual attacks on women by gangs of men in New York. She was called every vile name in the book by both male and female liberals.

Actress Sarah Bernhardt hoped a gang of black males would rape her. When Palin's church was torched with children inside, the press was missing in action (somehow I imagine the press would have been all over this if Obama's church were torched). Not only was the misogyny disgusting, but the classism was abhorrent. The Democrats, by ridiculing Palin's voice and her education, were acting like arrogant snobs. The party had changed, I had changed, and the differences looked irreconcilable.

The final straw for me was when a close friend flew into a rage at me when she learned I wasn't supporting Obama. The political became personal when she began impugning my character. Worse yet, she tried to intimidate me into changing my mind by threatening to dump me.

Suddenly a light went on. The peace and love and flower power of the old left was dead and gone (if it even existed to begin with except in my imagination). The Democrats had morphed into a power hungry Thought Police, and I was done with them. My new motto in life: don't PC on me.

So this is my letter of amends, and I hope that I can be forgiven by all whom I've offended. I knew not what the heck I was doing. But now the problem is: how in the world does one be a conservative these days? How to stay brave and committed when conservatives are being targeted, punished, and shunned on a daily basis? How to sleep at night knowing that the country I have finally come to love may be destroyed from within by a massive Big Brother government?

I guess I'll just have to do a step one, as we 12 stepper's call it, and turn it all over to my Higher Power.

Love,

Robin

ChumpDumper
05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
An acquaintance had her car broken into, and the only item stolen was a NoObama bumper stickerAren't bumper stickers on the outside of cars?

George Gervin's Afro
05-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Now if you could only get around 4 million more people you'd be good to go..

Ignignokt
05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Aren't bumper stickers on the outside of cars?

same thought here, but it could have just not been applied yet, and it was out in plain view.

clambake
05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
now, if you could just get 4 million more people to carve letters on their faces.....

LnGrrrR
05-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Blah blah blah bullshit made up story blah blah blah boring story blah blah

ChumpDumper
05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
It does sound a bit contrived.
My new motto in life: don't PC on me.So she uses a Mac. Good for her.

Blake
05-12-2009, 03:18 PM
My local greeting card store sold very flattering cards about Obama, insulting ones about Hillary, and a Hillary "nutcracker." When I complained, the young male manager literally laughed in my face.

and when she turned around, I laughed some more behind her back

Ignignokt
05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
LAlahalalalalalalalallalalalalalalaH!

Ignignokt
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
It does sound a bit contrived.So she uses a Mac. Good for her.

I'm not going to sit here and defend someones story who i've never met, or can attest to their character.

But i can see how when one doesn't like things, they like to discredit them.

ChumpDumper
05-12-2009, 03:28 PM
I think it's a nice synopsis of the douchiness of the far left.

I like that part.

I'm just not convinced one would change one's entire political ideology because people were meanies. What will she do when she finds out conservatives are meanies too?

FaithInOne
05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
I didn't really read it because there is no "the left is wrong, everyone along the entire spectrum of the right is right." That is not realistic and defeats the notion the made-up author is trying to convey.

I find great enjoy in being ahead game-wise to people 2 & 3 times my age.

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
It's pretty clear you're your own #1 fan around here, LockBeard. Don't strain your wrist patting yourself on the back. Isn't that what fake Barry and your other sock puppets are for?

Spurminator
05-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm not going to sit here and defend someones story who i've never met, or can attest to their character.

But i can see how when one doesn't like things, they like to discredit them.

This goes beyond discrediting something you don't like. You'd have to be a complete moron to think this letter is real.

PixelPusher
05-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Cousin Joe, Sam, et al, you may be wondering how I did a l80 in 1 1/2 years. How did I go from a rabid, sanctimonious liberal whom you steadfastly avoided at family gatherings to a fan of Limbaugh, Hannity, and Savage?

1. She's incredibly shallow and incapable of deep reflection.

2. She's actually just a fictional character created by someone who's shallow and incapable of deep reflection as a form of literary masturbation.

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 04:22 PM
GOP agony column.

ChbqRzTngU0

whottt
05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
This goes beyond discrediting something you don't like. You'd have to be a complete moron to think this letter is real.

She sounds like the typical poster at the Hillary Clinton Forums during the election...in fact I am almost certain she was one of the posters there. Lots of them...

Plus I kind of see exactly where she's coming from...I never considered myself a conservative prior to about 2004. I still don't really...it's just that you get kind of pushed over there if you don't toe the liberal talking points.

She's also right about people ostracizing you and judging you if they find out you are a conservative...in fact I think that's the primary reason I now accept the label, to keep the shitty friends away.

I mean who wants people like that(totally defined by their political ideology) for friends? I like to argue...I'm never going to agree 100% with anyone on anything.

MannyIsGod
05-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow what a coincidence, I found a letter kinda like that online too!

Dear friends, family, loved ones, liberals, Democrats, libertarians, my sister in law, Samantha, and my cousin Josephine: I am sorry and you were right.

These are not easy words for anyone to utter, much less a neo-con from Texas A&M, or a recovering neo-con, that is. Even though I've been in recovery for 14 months, 2 weeks, and 3 days, neo-cons are always right in your face, in an I-hate-you-if-you-disagree sort of way. Hence, this letter of amends to all the people I've lectured, scolded, ranted and raved at, and otherwise annoyed during my 30 plus years of "conservative" politics.

My recovery program urges a fierce moral inventory, a cleansing of heart and mind (kind of like a "forgiveness tour" but without the scary dictators), so here goes:

To my sister in law, Samantha, for blasting you in that Chinese restaurant for voting for Clinton, mea culpa.

To my cousin Josephine for calling you a traitor when you became an PHD, started holding a real job (as opposed to most of us A&M types who are Financial Bankers, Mortgage Brokers and other assholes who brought down the countries financial system), and became a liberal, my bad.

To my goddaughter whom I told when she was l0 years old that Republicans were great, Democrats were bad (yes I really did say this), and who got confused and tearful because she's 10 years old and lives in a suburb where most people are completely ignorant of politics, kid, what in the world was I thinking?

To my neo-con friends, with whom I agreed that 9/ll was a great reason to go invading countries in the Middle East that had nothing to with it, you and I were all such jerks.

To those potential friends whom I dumped when I found out you were progressive, your gain is my loss.

To all those columnists and editors whom I harangued with angry letters and e mails, sorry, sorry, sorry.

And finally to me, Robin, for installing you for the last 27 years in the far right cult of the People's Republic of Rush Limbaugh, where many American soldiers were treated like trash, where the countries history was soiled with the disgraces of Abu Graib and Guantanamo Bay and the head of Osama Bin Laden has yet to be delivered.

I didn't know any better. I thought the whole world lived in areas where the streets are filthy, aggressive street behavior is allowed because the perps are victims of communism, and where you can easily get mugged walking down a street or eating in a restaurant at noon by a man with a skin color other than white. (By the way, with the left in charge, expect our economy to recover, national healthcare and education to vastly improve, and lower tax rates for most of us.)

Given that the mainstream media is pretty much censored by their corporate owners (good luck finding a local "independent" book store), you didn't know that a party of grown ups even existed that didn't advocate screaming at others as the preferred mode of communication. So to my dear Robin, apologies for what I put you through, what I deprived you of, and my pledge to do better.

Cousin Joe, Sam, et al, you may be wondering how I did a l80 in 1 1/2 years. How did I go from a rabid, sanctimonious neo-con whom you steadfastly avoided at family gatherings to a fan of Krugman, Mahr, and Comon Sense? Recovery encourages us to share our story, so here's mine:

In February of 2008, I saw a new client, a bright and sensitive young woman who came in looking like she just escaped a war zone. In some ways she had; she had innocently shared with others at her job that she supported Powell rather than Limbaugh. Immediately she was being targeted for abuse that put her in fear for not only her job, but her life.

We both suddenly became aware that something had grown really dark in the Republican Party. I started hearing about many other incidents where loyal Republicans were being physically and emotionally threatened for supporting Powell. A woman in A&M had her front window broken because it displayed a poster of Powell. Dick Cheney, an American former Vice President, was critical of Powell. (Cheney recently led the charge to war in Iraq and the charge to reduce the United States to tortue)

An acquaintance had her car broken into, and the only item stolen was a McCain bumper sticker. A GOP official recently called Obama the magic negro. My local gunshow had shirts which declared Obama a nazi and compared him directly to Hitler.

Things went from bad to worse when Sarah Palin entered the scene. When Geraldine Ferraro ran for Vice President, there was no debasement of her character, no sexual threats. But with Palin, women were marketed more on their looks and less for their ability. She could not even handle simple interviews with Katie Couric!.

Talk Show host Rush Limbaugh wished for the Presidents failure. When Palin's church was torched with children inside, the press was missing in action (somehow I imagine the press would have been all over this if they didn't spend all their time covering the Obama's and their terrorist fist jabs). Not only was the classim disgusting, but the mysoginy was abhorrent. The GOP, by ignoring Palin's lack of intelligence, were acting like complete fools. The party had changed, I had changed, and the differences looked irreconcilable.

The final straw for me was when a close friend flew into a rage at me when she learned I wasn't supporting McCain. The political became personal when she began impugning my character. Worse yet, she tried to intimidate me into changing my mind by threatening to dump me or have me arrested under the Patriot Act.

Suddenly a light went on. The fiscal conservatism and belief that government should stay out of your life was dead(if it even existed to begin with except in my imagination). The GOP had morphed into a power hungry Thought Police, and I was done with them. My new motto in life: don't interfere with my life.

So this is my letter of amends, and I hope that I can be forgiven by all whom I've offended. I knew not what the heck I was doing. But now the problem is: how in the world does one be a liberal these days? How to stay brave and committed when liberals are being targeted, punished, and shunned on a daily basis? How to sleep at night knowing that the country I have finally come to love may be destroyed from within by a massive Big Brother government which was increased by huge levels under the NeoCon government of George W. Bush?

I guess I'll just have to do a step one, as we 12 stepper's call it, and turn it all over to my Higher Power.

Love,

Robin

jman3000
05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Sooo... did DarrinS say he voted for Obama just to give himself credibility for his ensuing crusade to post every article he could possibly find to shit on the left?

MannyIsGod
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Sooo... did DarrinS say he voted for Obama just to give himself credibility for his ensuing crusade to post every article he could possibly find to shit on the left?

No, Darrin has no clue what he believes or why he believes it, so the flip flopping is believable. When was the last time you saw a DarrinS post with substance?

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I doubt it. His hope was too extravagant and now he's exaggeratedly disappointed.

Yonivore
05-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I think it's a nice synopsis of the douchiness of the far left.

I like that part.

I'm just not convinced one would change one's entire political ideology because people were meanies. What will she do when she finds out conservatives are meanies too?
The Right has no equivalent to Jeanene Garafalo or Rosie O'Donnell

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
The Right has no equivalent to Jeanene Garafalo or Rosie O'DonnellThere must not be a market for it. Jealous?:lol

Yonivore
05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
There must not be a market for it. Jealous?:lol
Nope, you can keep 'em.

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't watch either one. But by all means keep bitching about them. It gives you a certain gravitas.

Marcus Bryant
05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
So political ideology is more about lifestyle today than anything else. Hence the penchant for referring to conservatives who don't believe the Earth was formed 5,000 years ago as not 'true' conservatives. The stupid thing is that the GOP followed Rove and bet the farm on the 'conservative' social view dominating American life.

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Basically, what self-styled conservatives want to conserve is the post Vietnam gravy train (hedonistic lifestyle), plus the ersatz (Christian) status quo ante, plus our far flung military empire.

The first and the last you need big government for. That conservatives now look to government to conserve religious values too, is not only perverted and unconservative, it also underscores the weakness and decline of these values in civil society.

Newsflash: if you need government to uphold your spiritual values, they're practically dead already.

Marcus Bryant
05-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Basically, what self-styled conservatives want to conserve is the post Vietnam gravy train (hedonistic lifestyle), plus the ersatz (Christian) status quo ante, plus our far flung military empire.

True. As long as that lifestyle is comprised of good ol' fashioned American man boning woman sex outside of marriage and not that gay stuff. In addition, this is 'murica and you pay your own way....but cashing them guvmint checks is what you are owed. For you are a loyal American. Unlike them foreign looking ones.

As for the empire, I'm still trying to understand what exactly I get out of the fact that I live in a nation with such a presence.

The first and the last you need big government for. That conservatives now look to government to conserve religious values too, is not only perverted and unconservative, it also underscores the weakness and decline of these values in civil society.

Newsflash: if you need government to uphold your spiritual values, they're practically dead already.

Right. Not to mention that in the case of Christianity, it goes against the central tenet that individuals be coerced to believe.

Yonivore
05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
What a circle jerk you guys are...

:lmao

Thanks for the laugh.

Wild Cobra
05-12-2009, 09:28 PM
There must not be a market for it. Jealous?:lol
I don't know about Yoni, but I'm proud there's no market for the likes on the right!

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
What a circle jerk you guys are...A class act, as ever. You've got such a dirty mind. Ordinarily I set a modicum of esteem by profanity, but you're just vulgar and disgusting.

Your mockery, as usual, is completely devoid of relevant content. A child's pure scorn.

No target chosen.

Pathetic.

Yonivore
05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
A class act, as ever. You've got such a dirty mind. Ordinarily I set a modicum of esteem by profanity, but you're just vulgar and disgusting.

Your mockery, as usual, is completely devoid of relevant content. A child's pure scorn.

No target chosen.

Pathetic.
Now, you're just masturbating alone.

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 09:55 PM
You've got tunnel vision. Quit scoping my unit.

Yonivore
05-12-2009, 09:57 PM
You've got tunnel vision. Quit scoping my unit.
Whatever helps you get done...fantasy is good for you.

Winehole23
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
jkocid5u1-c

Blake
05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
A class act, as ever. You've got such a dirty mind. Ordinarily I set a modicum of esteem by profanity, but you're just vulgar and disgusting.

I need to use this line on mavs fans in the nba forum.

lol