PDA

View Full Version : LOL, Senate Dems considering soda tax to pay for Obama's health care plans

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124208505896608647.html

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington-based watchdog group that pressures food companies to make healthier products, plans to propose a federal excise tax on soda, certain fruit drinks, energy drinks, sports drinks and ready-to-drink teas. It would not include most diet beverages. Excise taxes are levied on goods and manufacturers typically pass them on to consumers.

Senior staff members for some Democratic senators at the center of the effort to craft health-care legislation are weighing the idea behind closed doors, Senate aides said.

The Congressional Budget Office, which is providing lawmakers with cost estimates for each potential change in the health overhaul, included the option in a broad report on health-system financing in December. The office estimated that adding a tax of three cents per 12-ounce serving to these types of sweetened drinks would generate $24 billion over the next four years. So far, lawmakers have not indicated how big a tax they are considering.

Thanks again to all you idiots who voted (D) last fall.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2009, 04:21 PM
nm, just saw there's another thread on this. Feel free to lock.

byrontx
05-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Yesterday I saw a HUGE lady waddling out of a store with one of those buckets of sugarfizzcrap in her hands. Hats off to Obama___It's a great idea!

Wild Cobra
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Yesterday I saw a HUGE lady waddling out of a store with one of those buckets of sugarfizzcrap in her hands. Hats off to Obama___It's a great idea!
I wonder if that was the same one I saw wearing spandex, riding a bicycle, on cobblestone.

Waves or rolling fat...

She must have been almost 400 lbs!

It was quite a disgusting site.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
You better hope there's some supporting fat.

Cause you got nuthin.

MiamiHeat
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
what's the problem?

health care reform for the entire country and you only pay about 10 more cents when you buy soda

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 08:48 PM
what's the problem?

health care reform for the entire country and you only pay about 10 more cents when you buy soda
It's just the beginning. And, I don't drink soda so...I'm not even affected.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Pay ten more and I'll give you a brain, MH.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-19-2009, 09:13 PM
This really pisses me off. I don't even drink but like 1 soft drink every two weeks. I'm not in great physical shape, especially aerobically, but I can drink like 10 thousand packs of pepsi before I will get any unhealthier, or gain a couple pounds.
In other words, I can drink my one or two soft drinks a month and suffer no health effects whatsoever.

Why the fuck should my skinny healthy ass subsidize the health care of some morbidly unhealthy fuck who has no business buying soft drinks in the first place?

Hope this gets shot down

But. If there is any half-cracked ass argument that will make me actually turn a blind eye to something like this, it's "that we should have voted (R) last fall"

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Everyone engages in some kind of self-destructive behavior. Since we have decided to make everyone responsible for everyone's health care services, then it's natural that we should see such a proposal.

Of course, the GOP could be making a nice counter argument to this nonsense along the lines of liberty, self-responsibility, etc...but one of the accomplishments of the most recent GOP presidential administration was the creation of Medicare Part D.

In addition to socialized health care arrangements making the case for government attempts at behavior modification through the tax code, the 'war on drugs' philosophically lays its own groundwork. As long as we assume that the majority of individuals cannot be trusted to take care of themselves with some substances, the debate is then about what substances are acceptable.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Diet Police rules you out of order.

Duff McCartney
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
As my cousin once said people don't know what's good for them..and I'm gonna tell them what's good for them.

I'm all for this soda tax. I think this makes a valid point.

I say...you can have my soda when you pry it from my cold, diabetic hands! And the Democrats are just infringing on my right to life, liberty and high fructose corn syrup.

Bender
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm pissed because cigars went way up in price... new tobacco tax.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm pissed because cigars went way up in price... new tobacco tax.

Right. If I want to smoke cigars and am willing to pay an insurer a higher premium for health coverage, what's the problem?

Bender
05-19-2009, 10:28 PM
problem is, I want less expensive cigars. The new Cigar Club on 1604 near Blanco Rd is usually deserted when I go in now, which I rarely do anymore. It will probably be another new business that goes out of business.

I pay out the butt for health insurance for my wife and kid. My health insurance is free through my employer (my employer pays out the butt though).

what's wrong with sucking on a cigar anyway, it's just dead leaves, all natural. I'm in my house, not bothering anyone.
Walking down a city street breathing in all the exhaust fumes is a hell of a lot worse for you.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Sure, I wouldn't mind less expensive smokes either. I don't expect anyone but myself to pay for my health care coverage.