PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Might Lose Gist To Maccabi

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-12-2009, 04:43 PM
It seem there is a contract offer to James Gist from Euroleague club Maccabi.

http://www.sport5.co.il/HTML/articles/Article.274.58782.html

I will say what it says but my Hebrew ability is poor. This is close though.

"Now Thinking Ahead: Gist Is Candidate To Maccabi

Italian League club Biella forward James Gist was chosen by San Antonio Spurs last NBA draft. Gist is considered a great athlete with a good shot.

Only a few days ago Maccabi Tel Aviv made it to Israeli final, where they will try to win the championship, to try to win the only title they can for the season, but behind the scenes, apparently, the club managers already think about the next season.

James Gist is the name of the new candidate for the yellows. He is a 6-9 (2.06 meters) forward, a graduate of College of Maryland, selected second round of last NBA draft by San Antonio Spurs.

Gist, this season with Biella, is considered a good player with a shot from the outside, but above all an excellent athlete, his main strength is amazing finish ability around the rim. In the Italian League he averages 12.7 points and more than 6 rebounds per game.

Bruno
05-12-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124734&page=5

Bruno
05-12-2009, 04:58 PM
And a big :td to the fake Greek for not giving once again the source where he get the info.

rayray2k8
05-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah even the video in the link didn't even talk about Gist, but more about Carlos Arroyo.
Lame.
Plus, Gist has said that he want's to come back to the U.S and said he would willing go play overseas for the spurs to develop.
I've heard some good thing about him and how well he's played. That just tells me how much of the Euro talent over there isn't as great as this idiot says they are.
Bring out the Gist!!

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-12-2009, 05:15 PM
And a big :td to the fake Greek for not giving once again the source where he get the info.

:nopeI gave the source. Everyone can see I gave the source in my post.:rolleyes

I guess I should report how you keep harass me always for no reason.

Bruno
05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I gave the source. Everyone can see I gave the source in my post.:nope:rolleyes

No, you don't. :lol
The source where you get the info is :
http://forums.interbasket.net/f11/end-season-summer-signings-and-rumours-9511/p7.html

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-12-2009, 05:18 PM
http://forums.interbasket.net/f11/end-season-summer-signings-and-rumours-9511/p7.html

I guess you should be reported. Since I can no longer say anything to anyone in the forum or will be banned then others should stop being such rude jerks to me.

Bruno
05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
I guess you should be reported. Since I can no longer say anything to anyone in the forum or will be banned then others should stop being such rude jerks to me.

Report me as much as you want. :lol

Now the best thing you should do is to stop all your BS with sentences like "I will say what it says but my Hebrew ability is poor."

Truth : you learn the info on an English speaking board (English is your mother tongue), you put the article on a online translator and you fix manually the mistakes.

EricB
05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, if Tau signed him, they could recoup some of the money they are losing big time.... :stirpot:

Kobayagi
05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I will say what it says but my Hebrew ability is poor. This is close though.

Your english is way better when you translate from hebrew. :lol
:lmao

rayray2k8
05-12-2009, 05:41 PM

A copy and paste guy eh?
Well kori did say KBP did that.
Hope he does leave though.. :rolleyes

TDMVPDPOY
05-12-2009, 05:41 PM
if spurs dont sign james gists,

they better start lookin for new supporters!!!!

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Your english is way better when you translate from hebrew. :lol
:lmao

No it is NOT. I have say over and over my English is excellent.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, if Tau signed him, they could recoup some of the money they are losing big time.... :stirpot:

Your joke is foolish. Maccabi starting PF Eliyahu is leaving them to go to Spanish club TAU. So Maccabi now does not have a starter at PF. So actually what you post is actually only make this much more possible to be true.

The reason Maccabi wants Gist is because their starting PF Eliyahu is going to TAU for more money. One way or the other TAU will do whatever it can to fuck Spurs.

Russ
05-12-2009, 07:15 PM

I for one appreciate the contributions of KBP. He may be a bit rough around the edges but the info he provides is usually good (or at least interesting). And it's usually something new here (rare this time of year).

Even if he's really not Greek but a guy living in his parents' basement in Pacoima, he contributes more than he irritates.

GSH
05-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Bruno rocks. :tu

timvp
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
This is bad news in the short-term no matter how you slice it.

-Maccabi offers Gist more money than the Spurs and Gist decides to go there instead of come to the NBA.

-The Spurs think that Maccabi will be a good experience for Gist and they tell him to go ahead and sign.

-The Spurs now have competition for Gist's services so they can't take as much time as they previously wanted. On the Italian team, the Spurs knew they could get Gist whenever they wanted.

In the long-term, this is actually good news. Maccabi has very good scouts and they have a history of going after diamonds in the rough. If Maccabi actually wants Gist (the Israel sports media isn't exactly known for their accuracy), this could be a sign that Gist is a pretty damn good prospect.

itzsoweezee
05-12-2009, 09:10 PM
who cares.

not like Popovich would have played him anyway.

VI_Massive
05-12-2009, 11:26 PM

-Maccabi offers Gist more money than the Spurs and Gist decides to go there instead of come to the NBA.

-The Spurs think that Maccabi will be a good experience for Gist and they tell him to go ahead and sign.

-The Spurs now have competition for Gist's services so they can't take as much time as they previously wanted. On the Italian team, the Spurs knew they could get Gist whenever they wanted.

In the long-term, this is actually good news. Maccabi has very good scouts and they have a history of going after diamonds in the rough. If Maccabi actually wants Gist (the Israel sports media isn't exactly known for their accuracy), this could be a sign that Gist is a pretty damn good prospect.

But all the downsides to this are premised on the notion that Gist has any interest in playing in Israel, right?

If he wants to come to the US and try to catch on with SA or another NBA team, he'll come to camp at least.

If he doesn't make a team and doesn't want to play D-League, he can go get more experience in Israel. Assuming they are actually interested in him.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Like I say Maccabi's starting PF Eliyahu (Rockets draft pick) is going to TAU for more money than Maccabi can pay. So they now have no starting PF. So Maccabi needs a PF. And Gist wants to move up in level for sure. It can be NBA or Euroleague but even if Maccabi it is much higher level than where he play this year.

So I think this rumor has strong chance to be true also because Maccabi will give him pretty good salary also.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Oh this makes me day as I penciled him in here next year as a guy who could help. Offseason again begins with this shyt! GOOD LORD WHEN IS IT GONNA STOP? We finally draft all American players as some said to and he might sign overseas, good lord help us.

mountainballer
05-13-2009, 04:26 AM

let's see it like this. if the Spurs think he isn't ready to make the regular rotation yet, they should keep him in Europe.
and if he stays in Europe, Maccabi is one of the best places for his further development.
(the only young player I can remember, who didn't become a better player there, was a point guard with the name Beno Udrih.)
even if Maccabi is far from the level of some years ago and no longer a powerhouse, they are still a quality team, that will for sure make at least the Euroleague top 16 and this will mean some high quality competition and experience for him.
something he will never ever get in the D league.
(IMHO D-league is more or less a lost year for any player with NBA potential.)

a side note: we know about the interest of the Spurs in drafting Omri Casspi.
if the Spurs in fact get Casspi, it is also likely that they keep in Europe for some more time. as far as I remember, Casspi has extended his contract last summer for 2 years.
(and Casspi might also withdraw again this year)
however, maybe the Spurs also have a plan of developing Gist and Casspi together on a very good Euroleague team with a great reputation about scouting and developing young players?

spursbird
05-13-2009, 06:48 AM
I just hope that if Gist returns to Spurs a few years later, he won't be traded to the Rockets.

hater
05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
who cares.

not like Popovich would have played him anyway.

because Bonner is such a stud???

fucking Spurs office better sign Gist

biziofromdowntown
05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Don't belive that. it's a junk-news, like every player is near maccabi this summer.

samikeyp
05-13-2009, 08:20 AM

Fake Greek....would that make him a..freek?

:lol

SpursNation
05-13-2009, 12:29 PM
i speak hebrew and the translation is pretty good

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I doubt he will sign with them if the spurs want him. He could have helped us this season. If he only improves his jump shot this guy could be special in our system. Big, nasty, explosive, great defender and rebounder......great shot blocker from the SF spot. If he gets a jumper or improves his ability to get to the ft line he could be our SF for years to come.

But he plays at PF?

05-13-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Gist-597/

gist is a PF. notice this draftexpress profile. usually if a player can play more than two positions, it will list it. gist is listed as PF in every category. again i don't know why everyone thinks he will play SF. if a player has played PF for four years in college and then PF again in europe, then he is most likely a PF. also, this isn't like george hill because the differences between a SG and a PG in the spurs system is much smaller compared to a perimeter SF and an inside PF.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
The odds of finding one player to replace Bruce Bowen are very long. If the Spurs want to be able to play great defense after he's gone, they're going to need to develop multiple players to take on the better scorers in this league. Hill and Hairston are a great start for that, and Gist is the third piece of the puzzle as a long 3 or a smallball 4. None of these guys are going to be starters, but they will be able to contribute with the tougher matchups in the league.

Spursfan092120
05-13-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah..he did that to me too...posted it on the site and didn't give credit...

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
The odds of finding one player to replace Bruce Bowen are very long. If the Spurs want to be able to play great defense after he's gone, they're going to need to develop multiple players to take on the better scorers in this league. Hill and Hairston are a great start for that, and Gist is the third piece of the puzzle as a long 3 or a smallball 4. None of these guys are going to be starters, but they will be able to contribute with the tougher matchups in the league.

The only ones who could replace Bowen on D is Battier and Diamantidis.

DPG21920
05-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I think that Corey Brewer has a shot to replace Bowen, but he is still pretty raw and just had a knee surgery.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Battier can't defend four positions like Bowen could. I don't know much about Diamantidis apart from his size, and he's not tall enough to guard guys like Durant or Lebron, let alone Dirk. The Spurs have Hairston to defend the guys Battier and Diamantidis would cover. Gist could be brought in to help with the taller guys.

Spursfan092120
05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Had to throw in a Greek guy, didn't you? Guy's never played in the league and all of a sudden he's the 3rd best perimeter defender in the NBA? Ron Artest, Caron Butler, Ronnie Brewer, Tayshaun Prince, James Posey...all guys the Spurs could get that would be better defenders than this guy...wouldn't mind throwing Raja Bell in there too. I could say many more players, but I'm only saying guys the Spurs could logically sign.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Battier can't defend four positions like Bowen could. I don't know much about Diamantidis apart from his size, and he's not tall enough to guard guys like Durant or Lebron, let alone Dirk. The Spurs have Hairston to defend the guys Battier and Diamantidis would cover. Gist could be brought in to help with the taller guys.

Diamantidis has a 7 feet wingspan. Also in the national team he guards Dirk and LeBron every single time. You are right, you don't know much about him.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Had to throw in a Greek guy, didn't you? Guy's never played in the league and all of a sudden he's the 3rd best perimeter defender in the NBA? Ron Artest, Caron Butler, Ronnie Brewer, Tayshaun Prince, James Posey...all guys the Spurs could get that would be better defenders than this guy...wouldn't mind throwing Raja Bell in there too. I could say many more players, but I'm only saying guys the Spurs could logically sign.

The only defender in NBA on perimeter that is as good as Diamantidis is Battier. The others in your list? Please do not make me laugh.

Spursfan092120
05-13-2009, 06:46 PM
The only defender in NBA on perimeter that is as good as Diamantidis is Battier. The others in your list? Please do not make me laugh.
Diamantidis hasn't played anyone in the NBA...and when he did play NBA players, in the Olympics, he was completely owned. Artest, Brewer, Prince, Butler, and Posey would ALL be better players than Diamantidis in the NBA. Besides...all of those guys can score also...Diamantidis...he doesn't even score as much as Bruce.

The Truth #6
05-13-2009, 09:34 PM

gist is a PF. notice this draftexpress profile. usually if a player can play more than two positions, it will list it. gist is listed as PF in every category. again i don't know why everyone thinks he will play SF. if a player has played PF for four years in college and then PF again in europe, then he is most likely a PF. also, this isn't like george hill because the differences between a SG and a PG in the spurs system is much smaller compared to a perimeter SF and an inside PF.

I thought our power forwards were dainty jump shooters.

The Truth #6
05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Also, I love how when KBP gets into it his Borat accent quickly drops. KBP has more of a chance of being Andy Kaufman than this European poster he claims to be.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Diamantidis hasn't played anyone in the NBA...and when he did play NBA players, in the Olympics, he was completely owned. Artest, Brewer, Prince, Butler, and Posey would ALL be better players than Diamantidis in the NBA. Besides...all of those guys can score also...Diamantidis...he doesn't even score as much as Bruce.

You said better players. I am talking about defense. Brewer is not as good player as Diamantidis I hope that was a joke. Posey? No I think Diamantidis is a better player than him but I guess you can debate if you want.

Artest, Butler, Prince? Yes they are better players than Diamantidis. But better defenders? Certainly not. And do not compare Bowen to Diamantidis on offense. They are comparable in defense but Diamantidis is far better than him in offense. Do not get me wrong Diamantidis is not that good in offense but he like 10 times better in offense than Bowen.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2009, 12:10 AM
You said better players. I am talking about defense. Brewer is not as good player as Diamantidis I hope that was a joke. Posey? No I think Diamantidis is a better player than him but I guess you can debate if you want.

Artest, Butler, Prince? Yes they are better players than Diamantidis. But better defenders? Certainly not. And do not compare Bowen to Diamantidis on offense. They are comparable in defense but Diamantidis is far better than him in offense. Do not get me wrong Diamantidis is not that good in offense but he like 10 times better in offense than Bowen.

That's because he doesn't play against NBA talent. Bowen would score 20 points a game in Europe.

rayray2k8
05-14-2009, 12:11 AM
That's because he doesn't play against NBA talent. Bowen would score 20 points a game in Europe.

Hell, even Bonner could become a franchise player overseas!!
Even MVP!! :wow
Sad..

sprrs
05-14-2009, 03:36 AM
also, this isn't like george hill because the differences between a SG and a PG in the spurs system is much smaller compared to a perimeter SF and an inside PF.

Tell that to Gregg Popovich and Michael Finley.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 11:26 AM

Bowen would average 3-5 points MAXIMUM in Euroleague and that is being very generous to him. In fact probably he would be luck to even score 10 points once all year in a game.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Hell, even Bonner could become a franchise player overseas!!
Even MVP!! :wow
Sad..

When he played in Italian league he was so great that after the year his team was relegated out of the league and went bankrupt. One of the worst performances of any team in history of the league. And Italian league is really a mediocre league these eras. At one time it was very great but certainly not now or when Bonner played there.

You are insane if you think Bonner could be an MVP in Euroleague. Absolutely you are insane.

BackHome
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM

Uhhh.....I guess you didn't watch all those games were our offense just stopped when Hill was running the point. Watch when Tony plays he can shoot from the outside but he can also dribble the ball all the way to the rim and dribble his way out of traffic. This ability allows him to then throw the ball in the corner as the defense colapses on him to find the wide open man to hit the open three. Hill does not have the skills to do that he dribbles the ball to the three point line and then passes the ball...ie..SG..no PG

As far as Gist the guy is athletic and can put point on the board his game today he played 25 minutes and scored 22pts and was 3-5 at the three point line. I don't think to many people have seen him play in Italy so I will wait to see him play this summer but I think he will be somebody we can use.

rayray2k8
05-14-2009, 11:00 PM
When he played in Italian league he was so great that after the year his team was relegated out of the league and went bankrupt. One of the worst performances of any team in history of the league. And the euro league is really a mediocre league these eras. At one time it was very great but certainly not now or when Bonner played there.

The bold is all I really read and is pretty much true, the euro league is garbage.

You are insane if you think Bonner could be an MVP in Euroleague. Absolutely you are insane.

:sleep
You're a fucking idiot.. Deal with it.

Spursfan092120
05-15-2009, 05:31 PM

Artest, Butler, and Prince are better defenders..yes...did you really just say you thought I could argue that Posey was better, but then Prince isn't better? Dude..Prince is a much better perimeter defender than Posey. Tayshaun Prince is arguably in the Top 3 perimeter defenders in the league. And he's a logical possibility for the Spurs next year. Artest is right up there in the top 5, and if we're talking only about defense, like you say, Brewer is just as good, yes.

Marcus Bryant
05-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Bowen did score 20 points a night in Europe.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 12:01 AM

Please prove that Bowen played in Euroleague and averaged 20 points. Go ahead.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Artest, Butler, and Prince are better defenders..yes...did you really just say you thought I could argue that Posey was better, but then Prince isn't better? Dude..Prince is a much better perimeter defender than Posey. Tayshaun Prince is arguably in the Top 3 perimeter defenders in the league. And he's a logical possibility for the Spurs next year. Artest is right up there in the top 5, and if we're talking only about defense, like you say, Brewer is just as good, yes.

Your basketball knowledge is very bad.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2009, 12:56 AM

I mean he'd score 20 a night in Europe right now.

Spursfan092120
05-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Your basketball knowledge is very bad.
Good God Almighty, KBP..I'm not going over my basketball credentials with you..I've done this too many times. Let's put it this way..I've got more basketball knowledge in my left pinky toenail than you have in your entire body..or ever will have for that matter...and there's not a single team in the NBA that wouldn't take Ron Artest, Caron Butler, Tayshaun Prince, or James Posey over Dimitris Diamantidis. Defensively or offensively. Why? They're winners in the NBA...period. Diamantidis has done nothing in the NBA..has not guarded NBA players, except for in the Olympics, in which he was completely owned by the NBA players, and didn't score a single point in the game after playing over 26 minutes. So actually, Bruce Bowen scored as many points in that game as Diamantidis...while Bruce was watching the game at home. Diamantidis had 7 turnovers and only forced 1...yeah..GREAT defender there. Not exactly showing he belongs with the big boys...

Riverwalkman
05-16-2009, 02:03 AM
I remember I've read somewhere that Bowen is a good scorer in Euro League.

Given that Gist is considered a great athlete with a good shot, in NBA scoring by athleticism will be more difficult. If Gist is to come, I would like him to play Bowen's role in Spurs, using his athleticism and height to protect perimeter.I hope he can be in silver and black in summer.

Marcus Bryant
05-16-2009, 08:28 AM

ROFL. A true fake expert Grecian would know he did.

spursballer21
05-16-2009, 02:09 PM

http://www.brucebowen.com/biography_career.html

1996-97:
Played in three different leagues … appeared in one game with the Heat after signing a 10-day contract with Miami on 3/16 … had 1 block in 1 minute of action vs. Houston on 3/16 … signed by the Heat for the remainder of the season on 3/25 but didn't see action in another game … placed on the injured list on 4/1 due to a knee injury … started the season in France, with Besancon, averaging 23.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 20 games … then signed with the Rockford Lightning in the CBA on 2/7 … appeared in 16 games with Rockford averaging 17.3 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 38.7 minutes per contest … had 32 points, 8 rebounds and 4 steals at Omaha on 2/28.

Spursfan092120
05-16-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.brucebowen.com/biography_career.html

-started the season in France, with Besancon, averaging 23.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 20 games
Thank you for using your first post to completely own KBP...I appreciate that one. :toast

spursballer21
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Thank you for using your first post to completely own KBP...I appreciate that one. :toast
your welcome i just did cuz i was curious about that too

Spursfan092120
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
your welcome i just did cuz i was curious about that too
guy's a total douchebag.

spursballer21
05-16-2009, 03:42 PM
guy's a total douchebag.
o really why do u all bash on him so bad?

Mel_13
05-16-2009, 03:44 PM
guy's a total douchebag.

And totally undeterred by the facts. Watch him come back in here and find some way to deny this.

VI_Massive
05-16-2009, 04:17 PM
And totally undeterred by the facts. Watch him come back in here and find some way to deny this.

He will say "French is not real euroleague."

Mel_13
05-16-2009, 04:21 PM
He will say "French is not real euroleague."

That's exactly what I think he will say.

VI_Massive
05-16-2009, 04:32 PM
That's exactly what I think he will say.

I promise I'm not a KBP alter ego.

flox
05-16-2009, 04:53 PM
The ignorance in this forum is pretty sad. http://basket-stats.info/euroleague/1996-1997/ This is the list of teams in Euroleague in 96-97. Note that Besancon isn't in Euroleague. Traditionally French basketball has been very weak, and while Besancon was in French A that season that still doesn't mean much.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Once again someone prove Bowen averaged 20 points in the Euroleague.

VI_Massive
05-16-2009, 05:03 PM
The ignorance in this forum is pretty sad. http://basket-stats.info/euroleague/1996-1997/ This is the list of teams in Euroleague in 96-97. Note that Besancon isn't in Euroleague. Traditionally French basketball has been very weak, and while Besancon was in French A that season that still doesn't mean much.

OK so I guess we have a difference here. MB said Bruce scored 20 a game "in Europe", which the French League clearly is. KBP asked us to prove Bowen scored 20 a game "in Euroleague" which it seems he did not since that team wasn't in Euroleague.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 05:04 PM
OK so I guess we have a difference here. MB said Bruce scored 20 a game "in Europe", which the French League clearly is. KBP asked us to prove Bowen scored 20 a game "in Euroleague" which it seems he did not since that team wasn't in Euroleague.

And the issue is like saying a player averaged 20 in NBA when it was actually D-League. That is about same difference as Euroleague to French league.

spursbird
05-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Spurs wasting a draft pick??? Get outta here!!!!! That never happens!!!!!!!!!!
Scola. Maybe Splitter next.

manufan10
05-19-2009, 12:29 PM
o really why do u all bash on him so bad?

If you stay here long enough you will soon find out! :lol

ivanfromwestwood
05-19-2009, 03:05 PM
And the issue is like saying a player averaged 20 in NBA when it was actually D-League. That is about same difference as Euroleague to French league. good point.

sook
05-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Your KBP!

sook
jk :lol

sook
Just trying my best to get my post count to 4000