PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the hate for Barry tonight?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Oh wait, he had another good game...

Since Pop has publically beckoned for leaders, Barry's two games have been:

17, 4, and 3, 2-3 on threes
23 points, 5 boards, 5-7 on threes

Horry ain't lookin too bad either ;)

Mr. Body
03-26-2005, 01:26 AM
God, if he keeps it up, that's huge.

whottt
03-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Horry's shot is falling but he really needs to pick it up on the rebounds now that Malik is gone...he can't coast anymore. I think Beno is a better rebounder right now.

timvp
03-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Props to Barry. Although it was against the Hawks, it was still a good effort.

Maybe with Devin Brown out of the picture, it will help him realize that it's all on him now and he won't have to look over his shoulder. Before, he knew if he messed up that Pop would just put in Devin. Now he knows that he'll get a lot of minutes no matter what, so he can just go out and play.

timvp
03-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Oh and AHF, why no comments about your boy Nazr lately? How are you going to like that Malik Rose avatar?

QUESTIONS.

whottt
03-26-2005, 02:32 AM
Props to Barry. Although it was against the Hawks, it was still a good effort.

IF he had a bad game against the Hawks you would say he was choking...so why doesn't a good game mean he is stepping up...with no qualifiers? His slump isn't due to how he is being defended anyway.

Maybe with Devin Brown out of the picture, it will help him realize that it's all on him now and he won't have to look over his shoulder. Before, he knew if he messed up that Pop would just put in Devin. Now he knows that he'll get a lot of minutes no matter what, so he can just go out and play.

I think it's running the offense through the bigs that screws him up more than anything...he's just not used to it. But you are probably right that Pop's habit of yanking Devin and Barry for minor mistakes and playing favorites has caused them to lose confidence in their games at times this season...

Kori Ellis
03-26-2005, 02:35 AM
I think Barry started turning the corner a few games back. Hopefully the extra minutes he's getting now will continue to do him some good. When Devin comes back, be it at the end of the regular season or sooner, I know he can jump right back into the mix. Barry played confident and aggressive tonight. His And One dunk was good to see.

ShoogarBear
03-26-2005, 02:41 AM
LAMO @ AHF asking "Where's the Hate"?

MannyIsGod
03-26-2005, 02:59 AM
The thing is, we've all been pulling for Barry. I'm glad he's turning it around.

Streakyshooter08
03-26-2005, 03:55 AM
I really hope he continues to play that way BUT there will be also some bad games!!! Lets wait and see what he is doing against the good teams cause that is where we need him the most.

3rdCoast
03-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Yea, who wouldnt look good against the Hawks?

whottt
03-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Yea, who wouldnt look good against the Hawks?

Nazr Mohammed for one.

3rdCoast
03-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Sadly enough thats true.

cqsallie
03-26-2005, 04:12 AM
Nature abhors a moron.

toosmallshoes
03-26-2005, 05:14 AM
I think Barry is better for the spurs than devin. I think devin being out helps barry. I love devin, but i'd love him more if he was the only option. given a choice between two reserve three guards, barry helps the spurs more. If Barry gains his confidence in this stretch and pop benches him after two missed three pointers again in favor of Devin when he returns, then our title hopes are over. Devin is what we want. Barry is what we need. no barry, no title. the spurs need a hot three to win the title. ex: jaren jackson and stephen jackson. the spurs have never won a title without a hot three. A confident barry is what the spurs need.

exstatic
03-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Although it was against the Hawks...

Ding, ding, ding. The ATL is one of the worst defensive teams in the league. If Barry doesn't flatline against HOU and SEA, I might think he's turned the corner.

ducks
03-26-2005, 10:18 AM
barry has brought nothing against sonics his former team yet this year
he will get props from me if he does

1Parker1
03-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Two games doesn't make a season, but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully he can keep it up. I think for once, we actually hope that Whott has been right and we've been wrong. :) I guess there's a first time for everything.

Ginofan
03-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Two games doesn't make a season, but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully he can keep it up. I think for once, we actually hope that Whott has been right and we've been wrong. :) I guess there's a first time for everything.

Exactly! If Barry can play like this for the rest of the season and post season I'll be happy to admit my wrong-doing of Brent and the lack of faith I've had in him.

picnroll
03-26-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm not a "Barry hater" but a "Barry sucks" or at least until the last couple of games did. Some have had an enormous capacity to see beauty in Barry's game for the Spurs where there was none for the previous 60+ games or better yet the capacity to blame everybody but Barry for the reason he was sucking, beit Pop, Parker, the coyote, the ballboy.

Props to Barry. Hopefully he's turning it around. His next couple of games against Seattle and the Rockets I hope we continue to see the Barry the Spurs bought and paid for and need not the one that requires Barry pimpers to dig deep into their bag of excuses for.

whottt
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
No need to stop hating now...it gives the board something to talk about...hate away if it makes you feel better.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 10:33 AM
So much for Barry's not being a spot-up shooter.

Barry sucked because of Barry, and now he's playing well because of Barry.

Thanks, Brent.

whottt
03-26-2005, 10:33 AM
PicNRoll...did you notice in last nights game our offense was run almost entirely through the guards and featured a lot more transition...it makes a difference.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 10:35 AM
If you can't have a transition game against the Hawks, you should request demotion to the NBDL.

picnroll
03-26-2005, 10:38 AM
If he shows up I'll cheer as loud as anyone. If he does his job. If he plays and stays aggressive. If the can't hit the three stop hanging his head. Step in and take the shopt. Drive to the damn basket and take the foul like a man.

Besides it's Parker and his fading that's POing me off now. Parker stop leaving it all for Manu to get done in crunch time. Manu is having to kill himself carry this team when it counts.

wildbill2u
03-26-2005, 10:47 AM
PicNRoll...did you notice in last nights game our offense was run almost entirely through the guards and featured a lot more transition...it makes a difference.

Maybe it's because I played PG, but I believe basketball was meant to be played with motion and transition. If there is any beauty or art in having the ball go in to a seven foot plus mountain below the basket who then dunks it, I fail to see it. The only excitement is watching how much force is used when the big man throws it down the basket. Big deal.

Without Tim Pop will be forced to change the game tactics to fit the new lineup and their strengths. It will probably be more fun to watch IMHO. :elephant

whottt
03-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm going to avoid the plunge into stupidty with Chump here...

Pic...I don't know if you saw it or not but I posted prior to last nights game that Barry was exactly 13 3 pointers short of being a 40% shooter and he leads the team from 2...

This shit with Devin Brown is stupid...not only has not taken as many 3 pointers as Barry, he's just about the worst from 2 on the entire team. But everybody loves the home town boy and his dunks.

You guys are ridiculous.

Everybody liked Devin because he's exciting but he really has a negative impact on the overall team play...Barry played like this for most of the early part of the season as well as when he started early in the season...he just didn't have that kind of dunk.

He's just got a certain type of game and it's just going to take him a while to adjust to the slowdown inside out game of the Spurs. It's just the way it is...it took Steve Kerr 5 years...it took Jack 2 years...to adjust to the Spurs game. Since you guys don't want to utilize Barry's strengths, expect him to suck until he adapts to this role and offense.

Say he sucks all you want...his passing and spacing hasn't sucked all season, he doesn't take stupid shots...and most importantly...the thing that really offends me is everyone acting like he is some kind of coward...it's just hate plain and simple and there is no basis for it. He's been one of the most clutch performers on the team the entire season when given that chance.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Whottt, really -- do you think teams like Miami, Houston and Detroit are going to allow as much transition in the playoffs as the Hawks did last night?

picnroll
03-26-2005, 11:00 AM
I don't think Devin is the answer to our prayers either but at least when he's not bringing it on O he Ds up. He's one of uthe Spurs better perimeter defenders and has even handled some guys when Bowen was having problems, guys that requires a little strength to handle.

Barry's D at very best is neutral but often even when his O is gong he can take away on the D end what he brings on the O end.

I'd kill to have Jack back for both Devin and Barry.

whottt
03-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Miami doesn't do anything defensively to prevent it but they hit such a high PCT of their shots there just aren't that many opportunities...Houston is vulnerable to it...they were vulnerable to it last season and they are vulnerable to it this season...what they are not vulnerable to is a half court grind it out struggle. Screw that...that used to favor us...but I don't think it does anymore. Detroit is also vulnerable to it because they shoot at a low PCT and they are slow, no matter how good they defend. I don't expect there to be many opportunities for transition in the playoffs...But even in the half court when the ball is going through the guards and they are whizzing the ball around, Barry seems to play well in those situations...we were doing a lot of that in the early season.

What he is not good at is standing around waiting for the kick out from Duncan or some other big...at least IMO...that's when he over thinks it when he's got time to stand there and set his feet..he sucks at that. It's like it's justa timing thing or something, IMO. Last night those were quick threes he was taking, spot up or not...he wasn't holding that ball a half a second after he got it and all the defensive pressure was on the perimeter...it's not the pressure that's getting to him...it's the lack of it IMO. It's the tempo. We can't change it...but I think it's stupid to always run an inside out offense and it's usually what gets us beat in the post season. We gotta have some versatility and I think that's when and where Barry will play his best....run it through the guards some...

whottt
03-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Barry's good at playing the passing lanes and stealing the ball...he's good at fast break keying type D...he just doesn't seem to have the quickness to keep up with a lot of guys on d...he's gets blown by a lot on D and he gets pushed around in the post. He is strictly an offensive player and he probably doesn't fit this team that well...but I still want to win a title this year...and if he's our guy off the bench we're gonna have to make some kind of adjustments to get more out of him...

Who knows though...in the article they posted he said he wants Duncan back so he doesn't have to work as hard to get open...maybe he's got the right mindset now and will be able to hit those spot up threes better.

Ishta
03-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Nazr Mohammed for one.

Roflmao.... But very true unfortunatley.:lol

whottt
03-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Doesn't anyone else think it's odd that Barry has lead the team in scoring 2 games in a row off the bench...after Duncan and Brown are injured and with Manu gimpy.

What's the explanation? Obviously there is more pressure for him to step now with limited offensive weapons...and he doesn't seem to have a problem doing it at all...he didn't seem to have a problem hitting the pressure threes against Phoenix...it's gotta be the slowdown 4 down type offense that screws him up.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 11:33 AM
If he's never going to make wide-open shots from kickouts on Duncan, he has no place on this team. That's how this team won championships.

whottt
03-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah it's a problem. Maybe he's broken through it though. But I don't think he plays that kick out game with Duncan as well as guys like Kerr and Jack and Devin do/did, Devin is the guy who spots up like Jack. Barry seems to play pretty well when he gets time with Duncan...he seem to give Duncan a lot of good passes and he makes the 4 down pass well...but he just doesn't shoot threes well.

I think he can adjust to it, but I don't see anything that indicates he will adjust to it this year. I don't think he expected to have a problem with being more open and getting more time to shoot, I think he expected it be easier...for some guys it isn't. But we still have to try and win a title and if you want a guy to hit it you have to give it to him in his spot...well his spot is an uptempo pass where he is being active, it seems. JMO.

picnroll
03-26-2005, 11:45 AM
The Spurs don't deliberately slow the offense unless it's to their advantage against better transition teams like the Suns. They've even tried to run against teams where they feel they have the advantage in a transition type game, i.e., Houston. Barry had some success in transition in the beginning of the season running with Beno and Brown. But that was the beginning of the season when teams play looser. As the season wears on teams, at least the better ones tighten up the D and make you work harder for points. Less transition, less penetration, lower percentage shots. It's been that way from th beginning of time that by the time the playoffs roll around you get by with outisde shooting loosening things up or you die. Jaren Jackson, Stephen Jackson, Steve Kerr, Mario Elie, Sean Elliott, etc. The only teams that will allow a significant part of offense in transition in the playoffs are the Suns and the weaker, less disciplined teams, mostly lower bracket Eastern tems. No transtion in round two and on in the playoffs. The way it was, is and will be. If somebody doesn't step up from the outside the Spurs are screwed. The way it was, is and will be. Mr Barry that's what you were signed up for and paid for.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I think Barry shoots spot-up best when he catches the ball close to the start of his natural shooting motion around his chest. When that happens he puts it up as quicky and accurately as anyone in the league. Guards are alot more likely to get it there as they are much closer (either penetrating the paint or swinging it around the arc) to him and usually aren't dealing with double teams. Duncan isn't going to get any better on his end, so it's up to Barry to incorporate those extra motions to his shot without overthinking.

Jimcs50
03-26-2005, 11:57 AM
I am just glad that he got his rhythm back.

Things are looking better in the Spurs backcourt.

Now, if we can get the frontcourt up to speed

whottt
03-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Now that I think about it...I don't think 4 down is why we have won any titles...I think our defenses ability to make our opponents offense uglier than 4 down, and our occasional ability to overcome 4 down, is what has won us championships.

That offense sucks. It's why we got destroyed in 2001. It's why we blew a 2-0 lead last season. It's not just that a lot of shooters seem to struggle with it(all but 2 or 3 of them)...it's that our opponents destroy it and force Duncan to turn it over frequently. That offense is why we blow leads. It kills the momentum for every one but Duncan and puts enormous pressure on Duncan. I don't think Duncan likes putting the ball on the floor and having 3 guys swipe at him. Maybe that's why he wanted Jason Kidd. I personally wouldn't mind throwing some variety in there..and if you got Manu, Parker and Barry on your team you certainly have the personnel to do a few more things than 4 down. All 4 down really is is a risky predictable way of getting guys open...Duncan can fit in with anything the Spurs do...We have other ways of getting guys open with guys like Manu and Parker on this team....and a hot Barry will keep a defender glued to him and make Duncan's life easier.

I see no reason to make 4 down our cloesout offense with all the talented guards on the team. It has it's place in the scheme of things..it's old reliable, but I think we have a better shot at winning a title if the guards have more of a role in closing the game out and running the offense period...and I think Barry will respond to that and I think Duncan probably will also...so if you are going to run that 4 down type of offense then don't kick it out to Barry because he sucks at it...kick it out to Devin or Beno...but if you want to keep a fluid offense and running it through the guards, then Barry is your man.

boutons
03-26-2005, 12:07 PM
"Duncan likes putting the ball on the floor and having 3 guys swipe at him"

Couldn't tell that from the frequency with which he does it, looking like an 8th grader on his first basketball scrimmage. sickening.

Pop/Tim have to come with a better way to use Tim when the paint is clogged and he's doubled.

picnroll
03-26-2005, 12:16 PM
When Duncan is healthy and in and the Spurs can hit a reasonable percentage of outside shots then the Spurs unbeatable nine times out of ten because their D will take care of the other end.

If the Spurs hit the outside shot and that part of their game has to be respected then the the floor is spaced, the low post is opened up and angles of the lanes are open for driving. Spurs get the good open looks because of fear of Duncan's low post game and fear of Manu and Parkers driving. Both the low post and the drive open up outside shooters on kick outs when the other teams defense collapses. Don't hit the shots and you're dealing with a collapsed defense around low post scorers and drivers at the basket. Not a formula for success.

Inevitablely teams attack the Spurs by testing their outside shooting. If it's on the other team is screwed. Agaisnt the good teams if it's off the Spurs are generally screwed.

Stating the obvious.

pjjrfan
03-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Horry's shot is falling but he really needs to pick it up on the rebounds now that Malik is gone...he can't coast anymore. I think Beno is a better rebounder right now.
Without TD that part of their game is a minus. These guys aren't good defensive rebounders, for some strange reason, maybe they just don't work hard enough. But as far as Barry goes, I think he plays better in tense game situation, he seemed really lose in that classic Sun's game and last night, in really a must win game for us, he also played well, closing out that 2nd qtr, he just dribbled up to the 3pt line and let it fly and it was nothing but net, that shot there really gave me hope.

ChumpDumper
I can't believe someone who jocks three point shooters more than anyone can't see that most of the Spurs three pointers in the championship seasons were a direct result of four down.

DuncanMVP
Barry can easily pull a Rasho and suck once TD comes back

so no need for this "Barry is back" talk

I like Barry and want him to play his best ball but Im' not going to go crazy over a performance over the worst team in the NBA

SequSpur
03-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Dude, Barry dunked in traffic on an alley ooper from Parker.

I just ordered his jersey for my whole family.

picnroll
03-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Sequ's entire family can wear one Barry jersey. Not surprised.

DuncanMVP
03-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Dude, Barry dunked in traffic on an alley ooper from Parker.

I just ordered his jersey for my whole family.

:lol

SequSpur
03-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Blow me.

1Parker1
03-26-2005, 03:06 PM
LOL. Sequ...does this mean you've jumped on the Barry Bandwagon with Whott? :)

Ishta
03-26-2005, 03:15 PM
I HOPE Barry continues with his play of the last 2 games....As for me the jury is still out..

GO SPURS GO

baseline bum
03-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Huge game from Barry. I know I'm one of his biggest critics, and I just wanted to say I was out of town and just got back, so that's why I haven't propped him for his performance yet. The Spurs absolutely needed this game, and it's nice to see him step ug huge in a game the Spurs had to win to pull out of the talespin they were in. I hope Barry can continue like this. 23 points on 12 shots is the kind of stuff I remember from his Seattle days.