PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Tyler is Talking With Maroussi Athens

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
USA #1 prospect Jeremy Tyler is in negotiation with Greek club Maroussi Athens. This is the club that Spanoulis used to play with. It is the 3rd most important club in Greece in this decade and the owner is a billionaire.

Maroussi if they can beat Aris (third most important club in history of Greece) in the Greek playoffs will make the Euroleague next year. Wolves NBA draft pick Mavrokefalidis is in Maroussi at PF/C and he will be with Olympiacos next year. So if Maroussi makes the Euroleague then Tyler would have a chance to make their club as the backup forward/center behind Mavroeidis and Glyniadakis.

Owner of the club is very rich and can pay whatever Tyler asks.

Tyler and his manager state they want to play in Greek League because it is the best in Europe. :tu

Bukefal
05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I dont think he will. But again, kbp, please post some sources when informing us file.

Spursfan092120
05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Jeremy Tyler is talking to Maroussi because he can't play in the NBA yet...he can't even play in college yet. He's a Junior in High School. The only place he can play professional ball at the age of 17 is in Europe. He's dropping out of HS to get more seasoned in Europe so when it's time to play in the NBA he will be more developed...this is old news. And he can't be the #1 prospect because he's not even available to be signed to a University..The #1 prospect going into college this year is John Wall from the Raleigh, North Carolina Word Of God Christian Academy. He's predicted to be a one and done student wherever he goes and then go into the draft in 2010..and will probably be the #1 pick.
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1642
The number one NBA prospect is Blake Griffin, hands down...but that wouldn't matter..Tyler's not even available to play for a year or two.

Darthkiller
05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I think he should pick a club that he can be the first 2nd tier back up or even start. he needs minutes to develop, sitting on the bench wont do him any good imo.

Spursfan092120
05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I think he should pick a club that he can be the first 2nd tier back up or even start. he needs minutes to develop, sitting on the bench wont do him any good imo.
Agreed. Tyler is a good player with a man's body already. But if the reason he's dropping out of HS is to develop, he might as well find the right team where he'll get some playing time, instead of going to one of the best teams. His ultimate goal is to win a title in the NBA..not Europe.

Darthkiller
05-13-2009, 07:32 PM
well winning a title in europe wouldnt hurt.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

In Maroussi even if Mavro leaves the team Tyler would still be #3 big man on team.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 07:52 PM

Maroussi is not good enough to win Greek championship or Greek cup. If they make Euroleague next year they cannot win it. if they do not make Euroleague and play in 2nd level Eurocup then they do have a chance to win that.

Of course even though this is like win a D league championship it seem NBA is to dumb to know this. They bragged endlessly about how Rudy and Rubio won the second division championship which is like brag about win the d league title.

Spursfan092120
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM
True...but if he goes to a championship caliber team in Europe, he won't get hardly any playing time. Those teams already have their lineups set, and are just looking for bench players who will get little time. He should go to a team that is the equivalent of the Sacramento Kings or the Washington Wizards..that way they'll give him enough playing time. Maybe use him as a marketing tool.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Jeremy Tyler is talking to Maroussi because he can't play in the NBA yet...he can't even play in college yet. He's a Junior in High School. The only place he can play professional ball at the age of 17 is in Europe. He's dropping out of HS to get more seasoned in Europe so when it's time to play in the NBA he will be more developed...this is old news. And he can't be the #1 prospect because he's not even available to be signed to a University..The #1 prospect going into college this year is John Wall from the Raleigh, North Carolina Word Of God Christian Academy. He's predicted to be a one and done student wherever he goes and then go into the draft in 2010..and will probably be the #1 pick.
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1642
The number one NBA prospect is Blake Griffin, hands down...but that wouldn't matter..Tyler's not even available to play for a year or two.

He is #1 prospect for 2010 NBA draft. As soon as he signs with Euro club he will be automatically eligible for 2010 draft and experts agree he would be above Wall.

I am not sure Maroussi is good club for him. Even if Mavrokefalidis leaves to Olympiacos there would still be Glyniadakis and Mavroeidis at center and Kaimakoglou at PF. I guess maybe with Mavrokefalidis gone Kaimakoglou can start at PF and Tyler can back him up.

So it depend on Mavro leaving then maybe he could get like 15 minutes per game next year in Maroussi. So if this is true and they do make Euroleague I guess it would be good fit for him. I am not sure though because Maroussi is a club with big goals and I am not sure they want an 18 years kid as their backup PF for the club's first ever time to make it into Euroleague.

Spursfan092120
05-13-2009, 11:12 PM
He is #1 prospect for 2010 NBA draft. As soon as he signs with Euro club he will be automatically eligible for 2010 draft and experts agree he would be above Wall.

I am not sure Maroussi is good club for him. Even if Mavrokefalidis leaves to Olympiacos there would still be Glyniadakis and Mavroeidis at center and Kaimakoglou at PF. I guess maybe with Mavrokefalidis gone Kaimakoglou can start at PF and Tyler can back him up.

So it depend on Mavro leaving then maybe he could get like 15 minutes per game next year in Maroussi. So if this is true and they do make Euroleague I guess it would be good fit for him. I am not sure though because Maroussi is a club with big goals and I am not sure they want an 18 years kid as their backup PF for the club's first ever time to make it into Euroleague.
It all depends on what position the top team needs the most. If they need a big, Tyler will go. If they need a guard, it will most certainly be Wall. Tyler needs to get playing time to satisfy what he wants...which is to get ready for the NBA. As soon as he's available to play in the NBA, he'll be there...

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 11:17 PM
It all depends on what position the top team needs the most. If they need a big, Tyler will go. If they need a guard, it will most certainly be Wall. Tyler needs to get playing time to satisfy what he wants...which is to get ready for the NBA. As soon as he's available to play in the NBA, he'll be there...

Well one thing is for sure Maroussi has a very good and very experienced coach that could help him a lot. he has really help Mavrokefalidis who is also a big man and the Wolves draft pick a lot this year.

Darthkiller
05-14-2009, 04:47 AM

er no. he is only eligible for 2011 draft since he is still a junior in high school

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 11:21 AM
er no. he is only eligible for 2011 draft since he is still a junior in high school

Nope. As soon as he sign with a Euro club he is automatic eligible for 2010 draft because he will no longer be consider American player under draft rules but instead international player. That is how the rules work. If Rubio was American he could not enter this draft.

Indazone
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Brandon Jennings II. Hope he's tougher than Jennings cause he was a cry baby over there.

Darthkiller
05-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Nope. As soon as he sign with a Euro club he is automatic eligible for 2010 draft because he will no longer be consider American player under draft rules but instead international player. That is how the rules work. If Rubio was American he could not enter this draft.

not really man , nba draft eligibility has 2 part, sign with a club is one rule, the other is age rule(has to be 1 year removed from high school).

Darthkiller
05-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Brandon Jennings II. Hope he's tougher than Jennings cause he was a cry baby over there.

brandon jennings isnt really that special, he is a point guard, there are TONs of point guards in europe. There are not many 6'11 athletic powerfowards.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 03:04 PM
not really man , nba draft eligibility has 2 part, sign with a club is one rule, the other is age rule(has to be 1 year removed from high school).

No. That is not right. If you play with a pro club outside US the rule is must be in 19 years during the year of the draft. As soon as he sign with Europe club he will automatic be available for 2010 draft. Just like if Rubio was in US he could not even be in this draft he would have to wait for next year.

samikeyp
05-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Does anyone have a link to the actual rule?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 03:05 PM
brandon jennings isnt really that special, he is a point guard, there are TONs of point guards in europe. There are not many 6'11 athletic powerfowards.

There are many 6-11 athletic power forwards in Europe.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have a link to the actual rule?

I am right this has already been discussed as one of main reasons he wants to join Maroussi. If he stay in US he must wait 2 years for draft but if he join Maroussi just one year. Remember Jennings is a year older than Rubio.

samikeyp
05-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I am right this has already been discussed as one of main reasons he wants to join Maroussi. If he stay in US he must wait 2 years for draft but if he join Maroussi just one year. Remember Jennings is a year older than Rubio.

How do we know you are right? Just because you say so? If you are right then you should have no problem backing up what you say with proof?

manufan10
05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
(i) The player (A) is or will be at least 19 years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held, and (B) with respect to a player who is not an international player (defined below), at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player’s graduation from high school (or, if the player did not graduate from high school, since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school); and

(ii)
(A) The player has graduated from a four-year college or university in the United States (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held) and has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or

(B) The player is attending or previously attended a four-year college or university in the United States, his original class in such college or university has graduated (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held), and he has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or

(C) The player has graduated from high school in the United States, did not enroll in a four-year college or university in the United States, and four calendar years have elapsed since such player’s high school graduation; or

(D) The player did not graduate from high school in the United States, and four calendar years have elapsed since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school; or

(E) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located anywhere in the world, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or

(F) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player); or

(G) If the player is an “international player” (defined below), and notwithstanding anything contained in subsections (A) through (F) above:
(1) The player is or will be twenty-two (22) years of age during the calendar year of the Draft; or

(2) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located in the United States, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or

(3) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player).

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-X.php#section1

samikeyp
05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
(i) The player (A) is or will be at least 19 years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held, and (B) with respect to a player who is not an international player (defined below), at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player’s graduation from high school (or, if the player did not graduate from high school, since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school); and

(ii)
(A) The player has graduated from a four-year college or university in the United States (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held) and has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or

(B) The player is attending or previously attended a four-year college or university in the United States, his original class in such college or university has graduated (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held), and he has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or

(C) The player has graduated from high school in the United States, did not enroll in a four-year college or university in the United States, and four calendar years have elapsed since such player’s high school graduation; or

(D) The player did not graduate from high school in the United States, and four calendar years have elapsed since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school; or

(E) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located anywhere in the world, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or

(F) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player); or

(G) If the player is an “international player” (defined below), and notwithstanding anything contained in subsections (A) through (F) above:
(1) The player is or will be twenty-two (22) years of age during the calendar year of the Draft; or

(2) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located in the United States, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or

(3) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player).

Thanks! :toast

manufan10
05-14-2009, 03:19 PM
No. That is not right. If you play with a pro club outside US the rule is must be in 19 years during the year of the draft. As soon as he sign with Europe club he will automatic be available for 2010 draft. Just like if Rubio was in US he could not even be in this draft he would have to wait for next year.

To qualify as an international player he has to have lived/played overseas for 3 years.

(c) For purposes of this Article X, an “international player” is a player: (i) who has maintained a permanent residence outside of the United States for at least the three (3) years prior to the Draft, while participating in the game of basketball as an amateur or as a professional outside of the United States; (ii) who has never previously enrolled in a college or university in the United States; and (iii) who did not complete high school in the United States.

manufan10
05-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks! :toast

:toast

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2009, 03:20 PM
How do we know you are right? Just because you say so? If you are right then you should have no problem backing up what you say with proof?

True. He could also want to go to Europe because he's ready to get paid to play basketball and knows he's a couple of years away from that happening in the US.

I honestly don't know what the rule is. Nor do I know why this would be anything other than a matter-of-fact story, other than the fact that it does appear obvious that American players who aren't getting what they want in the US are more than willing to use the Euro billionaire owners as leverage.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Taking wikipedia as a source for the moment, it says this:

All drafted players must be at least 19 years old during the calendar year of the draft.[7] To determine whether a player is eligible for a given year's draft, subtract 19 from the year of the draft. If the player was born during or before that year, he is eligible.

Any player who is not an "international player", as defined in the CBA, must be at least one year removed from the graduation of his high school class.[7]

The "one year out of high school" requirement is in addition to the age requirement. For example, although O. J. Mayo turned 19 in November 2006, six months before his high school graduation, he was not eligible until the 2008 draft, a year after his high school class graduated.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
The CBA (http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-X.php) actually makes this pretty clear and says that just going abroad isn't going to make Tyler draft eligible in 2010.

To be eligible, a player like Tyler (who does not qualify as an "international player," even if he plays a year abroad -- more below) must meet 2 requirements:

1. He must be 19 years of age in the calendar year in which the draft is held; AND

2. at least 1 season must have elapsed since graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated.

If you don't have both, you aren't eligible.

The exception to #2 is available to those who qualify as international players. But, "an 'international player' is a player: (i) who has maintained a permanent residence outside of the United States for at least the three (3) years prior to the Draft, while participating in the game of basketball as an amateur or as a professional outside of the United States; (ii) who has never previously enrolled in a college or university in the United States; and (iii) who did not complete high school in the United States."

It's not physically possible (to my knowledge) for Tyler to have maintained permanent residence outside of the United States for the three years prior to the draft if he departs the United States a year before the draft. Without doing that, he's not an "international player," and thus must meet the two requirements above. That means he has to wait until a full year after his high school class would have graduated to be draft eligible.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 06:31 PM
The CBA (http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-X.php) actually makes this pretty clear and says that just going abroad isn't going to make Tyler draft eligible in 2010.

To be eligible, a player like Tyler (who does not qualify as an "international player," even if he plays a year abroad -- more below) must meet 2 requirements:

1. He must be 19 years of age in the calendar year in which the draft is held; AND

2. at least 1 season must have elapsed since graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated.

If you don't have both, you aren't eligible.

The exception to #2 is available to those who qualify as international players. But, "an 'international player' is a player: (i) who has maintained a permanent residence outside of the United States for at least the three (3) years prior to the Draft, while participating in the game of basketball as an amateur or as a professional outside of the United States; (ii) who has never previously enrolled in a college or university in the United States; and (iii) who did not complete high school in the United States."

It's not physically possible (to my knowledge) for Tyler to have maintained permanent residence outside of the United States for the three years prior to the draft if he departs the United States a year before the draft. Without doing that, he's not an "international player," and thus must meet the two requirements above. That means he has to wait until a full year after his high school class would have graduated to be draft eligible.

No. It has been said already why he would go to Maroussi. Because he will graduate as GED class. It is say his agent and lawyer have already been work on this so once he would sign he would be in 2010 draft. When he gets GED this year then this means next summer is one year after his graduation.

Mel_13
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
No. It has been said already why he would go to Maroussi. Because he will graduate as GED class. It is say his agent and lawyer have already been work on this so once he would sign he would be in 2010 draft. When he gets GED this year then this means next summer is one year after his graduation.

Apparently not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=dw-tyler042209

Key quote:

"Tyler will play against the grown men who can challenge a player of his size and potential. Away from the court he’ll be home-schooled, earn a GED and return in two seasons when he’s eligible for the 2011 draft."

Do you have a better source?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Apparently not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=dw-tyler042209

Key quote:

"Tyler will play against the grown men who can challenge a player of his size and potential. Away from the court he’ll be home-schooled, earn a GED and return in two seasons when he’s eligible for the 2011 draft."

Do you have a better source?

WTF does this writer know better than his manager? Maybe it is wrong but this was mention as main reason he want to join Maroussi. Anyway if did stay 2 years in Maroussi then he might get play time.

Spursfan092120
05-14-2009, 06:49 PM
WTF does this writer know better than his manager? Maybe it is wrong but this was mention as main reason he want to join Maroussi.
May be true..but NBA rules are NBA rules. And the rule states you cannot join the NBA until one year after your class graduates...it's an age thing, not a professional thing.

manufan10
05-14-2009, 06:52 PM
WTF does this writer know better than his manager? Maybe it is wrong but this was mention as main reason he want to join Maroussi. Anyway if did stay 2 years in Maroussi then he might get play time.

Obviously plenty since he interviewed them. All you do is spout off at the mouth, but you never back anything up. No links, no audio clips, no video. Back up your claims and maybe people would respect your views more often. :toast

Spursfan092120
05-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Obviously plenty since he interviewed them. All you do is spout off at the mouth, but you never back anything up. No links, no audio clips, no video. Back up your claims and maybe people would respect your views more often. :toast
I've been telling him this for a LONG time..it'll never happen.

Mel_13
05-14-2009, 06:57 PM

You are really a piece of work. Read the article. It includes quotes from the player and his father. Unless you can produce a credible source that contradicts an article based on interviews with the family, just step away. You are just embarrassing yourself.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Greece media mentions he want to go for 2010 draft.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Greece media mentions he want to go for 2010 draft.

He can want that all he wants and his manager can think it's possible all he wants. But going to Greece (or anywhere else) won't change the fact that he can't be eligible for the draft until at least a year after he graduates and until the year that he turns 19. I can't tell if he's going to be 19 sometime in 2010, but unless he graduates before November 1, 2009 (assuming a GED counts), there's no way he can be eligible until 2011.

manufan10
05-14-2009, 07:35 PM
he can want that all he wants and his manager can think it's possible all he wants. But going to greece (or anywhere else) won't change the fact that he can't be eligible for the draft until at least a year after he graduates and until the year that he turns 19. I can't tell if he's going to be 19 sometime in 2010, but unless he graduates before november 1, 2009 (assuming a ged counts), there's no way he can be eligible until 2011.

+1

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-14-2009, 08:16 PM
He can want that all he wants and his manager can think it's possible all he wants. But going to Greece (or anywhere else) won't change the fact that he can't be eligible for the draft until at least a year after he graduates and until the year that he turns 19. I can't tell if he's going to be 19 sometime in 2010, but unless he graduates before November 1, 2009 (assuming a GED counts), there's no way he can be eligible until 2011.

But he says he is getting the GED and he is born in 1991.