PDA

View Full Version : why is it that..

DA BULLS
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
when people have the greatest player ever debate..it always starts with jordan then followed by bird and magic..and now we have all these debates about lebron and kobe and them one day being the greatest or atleast up there w jordan, bird, and magic. i know the obvious ans. is bc jordan, bird and magic all have rings and before its all said and done kobe will have his and lebron will certainly get his number of trophies. but my question is why dont pple ever talk about shaq, duncan, kareem, or russel as some of the greatest ever up there w/ jordan, magic, and bird. they all were dominate at one pnt..duncan still is..and they all have there fair share of rings. it always seems the "greatest ever" title always goes to guards or fowards..pple seem to take for granted what the big men of the past and present have done

JamStone
05-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Wilt is often in the discussion.

I don't think Bird is in the discussion, especially if you talk about "the" greatest player all time. The top 3 talked about are usually Michael, Wilt, and Magic. With Wilt, the big men are not ignored in this regard.

Russell was dominating on defense and has more rings than any other player and by a good margin. But, he was never a dominating offensive player and that is a main reason some (perhaps many) people don't add his name into the discussion. He still gets talked about, and when anyone talks about the greatest "winners" of the game, he has and will always lead the list.

Hakeem, Kareem, Shaq, and Duncan probably do and should get passing mention sometimes. While all four of those were great players, dominating in their own way, Michael, Wilt, and Magic are often viewed as players that dominated in ways very few players have and in ways not many players are able to dominate.

That's why I think there's a better chance that LeBron enters the greatest player discussion more so than Kobe. LeBron is doing things very few players have done. He dominates at every aspect of the game in such an impressive manner.

Darthkiller
05-13-2009, 05:39 PM
who even puts kobe in the goat discussion is either a homer or a dumbass. He never led a team to championship.

Bukefal
05-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree, kobe should not be discussed. As for lebron yeah, not now, but in the future probably yeah if he continues like this. lebron is something magical, he takes the game to such a super level, im speechless, of his abilities and skills. But its too early now. Hakeem, kareem, shaq and duncan should be mentioned of course. But for now, its only; Jordan, Bird, Wilt and Magic!