PDA

View Full Version : 2008-09 Slam Dunk Stats

Danny.Zhu
05-14-2009, 04:05 AM
“After recording just 82 dunks as a team in ‘07-08, the Spurs managed to drop that number even LOWER in ‘08-09. With a total of 73 slams, that translates to just .89 dunks per game AS A TEAM! To get an idea of how far below the mean that is, consider that 32 individual players had more total dunks this past season. One bright spot was rookie guard George Hill throwing it down 10 times in just 1,270 minutes, but it’s hard to get excited about the rest of this aging squad. Duncan had 19 fewer dunks, and the Spurs didn’t have a single player in the Top 120. After this year’s 1st round exit, I think it’s time for San Antonio to inject some youth and athleticism into their frontcourt. Oh Tiago Splitter, where art thou?”

http://www.rotoevil.com/nba/2008-2009-slam-dunk-stats
:rollin

ivanfromwestwood
05-14-2009, 05:11 AM
next year i heard they're putting a wheelchair ramp leading to our bench. you know for all the old timers.

Bukefal
05-14-2009, 05:41 AM
next year i heard they're putting a wheelchair ramp leading to our bench. you know for all the old timers.

:lmao

For the love of the game its a shame we dont have really players who dunk. Sometimes I wish we had some player like lebron, giving some flair to the game. But its not so bad, we go secure, the points are what really matters in the end.

ivanfromwestwood
05-14-2009, 05:50 AM
you mean lack off points. we can stop anybody, just cant put the ball in the hole.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-14-2009, 05:58 AM
you mean lack off points. we can stop anybody, just cant put the ball in the hole.

Have you watched us play last season at all?

PeterBurns
05-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Danny....Great find!
Some crazy stats, I'm going to use (STEAL) this post for the show this morning.
I'll give credit in my show Works Cited. Probably around 7:30 ish

angelbelow
05-14-2009, 06:38 AM
damn, 10 of them are from pops and hairston i bet.

symple19
05-14-2009, 06:53 AM
“After recording just 82 dunks as a team in ‘07-08, the Spurs managed to drop that number even LOWER in ‘08-09. With a total of 73 slams, that translates to just .89 dunks per game AS A TEAM! To get an idea of how far below the mean that is, consider that 32 individual players had more total dunks this past season. One bright spot was rookie guard George Hill throwing it down 10 times in just 1,270 minutes, but it’s hard to get excited about the rest of this aging squad. Duncan had 19 fewer dunks, and the Spurs didn’t have a single player in the Top 120. After this year’s 1st round exit, I think it’s time for San Antonio to inject some youth and athleticism into their frontcourt. Oh Tiago Splitter, where art thou?”

Ever watched Tiago??? He looks like he has lead in his sneaks...The guy isn't very athletic at all. I'm not saying he's a bad player, just that he isn't a high riser. If you're putting hope in him to play above the rim,well, your hopes are misguided. Much of the videos I've seen of Tiago involve underhanded layups, in traffic no less. I'm sick and tired of flat-footed Euro/south Amer big men.(Are you listening Fabricio?)

Props for the killer stat though Danny. I completely agree that the spurs need another guy who can create his own shot AND play above the rim(besides Manu).

What I really want is for the Spurs to return to smothering, championship defense.:lobt2::flag::lobt2:

polandprzem
05-14-2009, 06:55 AM
It's a shame!

But no surprise here, all in all spurs let the dunking machine in Rasho Nesterovic go.

ShoogarBear
05-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Dunks in and of themselves are meaningless.

However, these aggregate numbers truly are a secondary indication of the bigger problem.

GioSugar
05-14-2009, 07:03 AM
What I really want is for the Spurs to return to smothering, championship defense.:lobt2::flag::lobt2:

:tu

Dunks = fun, Defense = championships

whottt
05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Dunks in and of themselves are meaningless.

However, these aggregate numbers truly are a secondary indication of the bigger problem.

Disagree...dunks are the highest PCT shots there are. Almost any other shot you take has less of a chance of going in, so if you don't have a team capable of dunking, you don't have a team capable of taking the highest PCT shots there are.

The rest of your statement about them being a secondary indication of other problems I ageee with.

Danny.Zhu
05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Danny....Great find!
Some crazy stats, I'm going to use (STEAL) this post for the show this morning.
I'll give credit in my show Works Cited. Probably around 7:30 ish

Be my guest...

Which show do you do?

The Truth #6
05-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Disagree...dunks are the highest PCT shots there are. Almost any other shot you take has less of a chance of going in, so if you don't have a team capable of dunking, you don't have a team capable of taking the highest PCT shots there are.

The rest of your statement about them being a secondary indication of other problems I ageee with.

So then the team with the highest number of dunks is the most efficient offense? Probably not. However, I do think it is some indication of athleticism.

ShoogarBear
05-14-2009, 09:31 AM

My point is that "most dunks" does not in and of itself translate to "best offense", or "winning championships". You could also argue that a block is the highest percentage defense, but "most blocks" != "best defense".

Most Dunks
1. Nuggets 520 (FTA: 1st)
2. Suns 470 (5th)
3. Sixers 453 (6th)
4. Lakers 438 (8th)
5. Blazers 435 (16th)

Fewest Dunks
1. Spurs 73 :wow :wow :wow (last, 30th)
2. Pacers 167 (23rd)
3. Timberwolves 184 (19th)
4. Rockets 194 (21st)
5. Pistons 234 (27th)The

Not only the Spurs last, they're last by more than a factor of TWO. That's horrendous. That's probably a combination of lack of athleticism (especially of big men), and an offense which over the years has become far too reliant on the three-pointer (beating a 3-year old dead horse). The ranking in FTA just confirms it. They were also last in FTA by a huge margin, nearly 200, and no two other teams were separated in the ranks by even close to that amount.

timtonymanu
05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
a team with bonner, mason, and parker starting every game wont get alot of dunks. Manu was out and he dunks alot. Mahinmi could probably have thrown down a few. Heck if Gooden never came, it'd be lower. Gooden dunked alot as a Spur in a short amount of time.

GioSugar
05-14-2009, 09:47 AM

The highest PCT shots are the 'open floor' layups. But you need defense, rebound and transition game.

You could fail on a 'in your face' dunk but there is no way to fail on a 'open floor' layup.

whottt
05-14-2009, 09:49 AM
So then the team with the highest number of dunks is the most efficient offense?

I really don't understand how you can make that conclusion from my statement. That's not what I said, that's what you said. I said that a dunk is the highest PCT shot you can take, I said nothing about the team with the most dunks being the most efficient offense...the reason I didn't say that is because there are ton of other factors that can influence offensive efficiency outside of how many dunks a team has, not to mention the fact that offensive efficiency is formulated using more than just 2FG shooting stats.

Your conclusion, not mine. I stand by my comment that a dunk is the highest PCT shot you can take.

resistanze
05-14-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm still in shock that Matt Bonner started for an NBA team (something he didn't even do in Toronto). Even worse, he played center!

If they do that to my boy Timmy again, I'm gonna hurt someone.

whottt
05-14-2009, 09:52 AM
The highest PCT shots are the 'open floor' layups. But you need defense, rebound and transition game.

You could fail on a 'in your face' dunk but there is no way to fail on a 'open floor' layup.

Ahh...how stupid of me, I mean no one ever misses layups, whereas they can fall on their faces on dunks...how could I be so clueless. :rolleyes

resistanze
05-14-2009, 09:56 AM
How about 'open floor' dunks and 'in your face' layups then?

whottt
05-14-2009, 09:57 AM
My point is that "most dunks" does not in and of itself translate to "best offense", or "winning championships". You could also argue that a block is the highest percentage defense, but "most blocks" != "best defense".

Most Dunks
1. Nuggets 520 (FTA: 1st)
2. Suns 470 (5th)
3. Sixers 453 (6th)
4. Lakers 438 (8th)
5. Blazers 435 (16th)

Fewest Dunks
1. Spurs 73 :wow :wow :wow (last, 30th)
2. Pacers 167 (23rd)
3. Timberwolves 184 (19th)
4. Rockets 194 (21st)
5. Pistons 234 (27th)The

Not only the Spurs last, they're last by more than a factor of TWO. That's horrendous. That's probably a combination of lack of athleticism (especially of big men), and an offense which over the years has become far too reliant on the three-pointer (beating a 3-year old dead horse). The ranking in FTA just confirms it. They were also last in FTA by a huge margin, nearly 200, and no two other teams were separated in the ranks by even close to that amount.

The 3 point shots definitely aren't valuable when Duncan can't draw double teams, not that we really have guys that knock them down off Duncan doubles anyway...

If we don't have an inside player capable of drawing double teams we probably aren't going to be winning any more titles any times soon unless we get a whole lot more shotblocking and rebounding to compensate for that loss of interior scoring.

whottt
05-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Everything is relative...but as a general rule, the less distance between the shot and the rim, the better chance it has of going in, the less chance it has of being blocked, etc.

I can't believe this needs to be explained.

This is the sort of thing that makes me get rude.

Yes a player 5'3 is better off going for a layup then a dunk...that doesn't change the fact that a dunk is still a higher PCT shot then a layup just in terms of shots without player variables being taken into consideration...

It's really not that complicated.

ShoogarBear
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM

All these years I was wondering what it would take.

GioSugar
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM

If you have defense , rebound and transition game, then you have fast break points. No matter if you dunk or make a layup. You start with D to have an easy basket. Everything is defense. That's my point, but my english is real bad. I hope i make it clear now.

poop
05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
besides being 'cool' dunks are actually an important thing to be able to do.
they are the highest percentage shot by far.

i an count how many times this year our guys-bigs and smalls- flubbed layups or close-in shots because they lacked the athleticism to slam it in, that to other teams would have been slams and sure 2 points.

the same goes for put-backs. how many times did we se our big try desperately to tip in misses multiple times only to be denied, whereas other teams such as the nuggets slam that shit in immediately.

it also translates to rebounding; how many times did we see our bigs resort to tapping out the ball or reaching desperately for a rebound with the tips of their fingers because they couldnt get off the ground..with most teams those are sure rebounds, they just laep up and grab that shit.

resistanze
05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Everything is relative...but as a general rule, the less distance between the shot and the rim, the better chance it has of going in, the less chance it has of being blocked, etc.

Yes a player 5'3 is better off going for a layup then a dunk...that doesn't change the fact that a dunk is still a higher PCT shot then a layup just in terms of shots without player variables being taken into consideration...

:lol My post wasn't actually addressed to you. If fact, I'm on your side.

The point that was brought up that an 'open floor' layup is a higher percentage shot ignores the fact that you can have an open dunk (very high PCT), or a contested layup as well (low PCT shot).

whottt
05-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Ahh ok then. My bad. Disregard. :)

antimvp
05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
we do suck in this department and the media needs to make mention of this.

manufan10
05-14-2009, 02:34 PM
a team with bonner, mason, and parker starting every game wont get alot of dunks. Manu was out and he dunks alot. Mahinmi could probably have thrown down a few. Heck if Gooden never came, it'd be lower. Gooden dunked alot as a Spur in a short amount of time.

Along with the few dunks that Pops got while he was here. The number is inflated. :lol

Yogurt210
05-15-2009, 09:35 AM
I think the coyote had more dunks that the whole spurs team

lefty
05-15-2009, 10:47 AM

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry :downspin:

manufan10
05-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I think the coyote had more dunks that the whole spurs team

I think those stats is what made the Spurs actually have that many dunks.

Muser
05-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Dunks are more of a Phoenix Suns thing.

Brazil
05-15-2009, 11:50 AM
There is much worst than that what about TP being close to be the second best rebounder on the mav serie ?

SpursWench21
05-15-2009, 11:54 AM

+1 I agree. I mean come on, everyone knows the dunk is by far the easiest approach to scoring in NBA2K9....Take the ball up...keep running past your defender....BOOM..SLAM! or simply pass the ball a hundred times till it gets right under the basket...BOOM..SLAM! And NBA2k is as accurate as it gets to real life.....kinda...not really:lmao

In all seriousness, though, i do agree that the dunk is the highest pct. When you have dominant big men grabbing a ball that fits into one of their giant hands and slamming into into a hoop with that amount of force, not many times will it be stopped/blocked/contested and atleast will most likely draw a foul. A layup can be flat out missed without any interruption...

The only time a dunk would look like a bad pct shot is when some wanna-be-badass big man decides to be cool by slamming it and gets stuffed by an immovable metal loop we like to call the basket....heh:lmao

just my opinion

manufan10
05-15-2009, 12:05 PM
And NBA2k is as accurate as it gets to real life.....Damn, I have NBA Live 09. :depressed I guess I don't have accuracy.